Dirt bike unstable off jumps

Bryce808
Edited Date/Time 9/22/2014 10:34am
Hi I have a 2013 kx250f and when I jump, the back of the bike sometimes doesn't stay straight and it goes to the left or right. Why is this happening? Do I need to adjust the rear rebound or is it a person error?
|
6/15/2014 5:42pm
It's the year of the bike. It needs new exhaust bearings because during the verno equinox it decreases the stability of the bike. I'll trade you my 2008 yz250f for it. I put factory monsterbull exhaust bearings in it.
Bryce808
6/15/2014 6:30pm
But my flux capacitor has more gigawats, so no thanks.
6/15/2014 11:49pm
Bryce808 wrote:
But my flux capacitor has more gigawats, so no thanks.
Haha nice replyWink The problem is you, no offense. You have to make sure your confident on your bike. I would tell you to correct the bike in the air but thats above your paygrade for now. Just practice on small jumps then it will become natural for you.
Bryce808
6/16/2014 12:34pm
I don't get enough air time to correct the bike. I am confident on my bike but practice won't do me good cause I don't know what I'm doing wrongSad

The Shop

TX24
6/16/2014 1:44pm
If your not comfortable jumping then don't jump yet. Just riding and getting more confidence and control will help your jumping later. Your getting blown off on here, because there is really no good way for you to describe exactly what you are doing wrong and someone tell you how to fix it.
Bryce808
6/16/2014 5:16pm
I just get up to speed then keep a steady throttle, sometimes if the jump is after a corner I just go hard on the gas even when going up the jump
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
6/17/2014 2:48pm
Bryce808 wrote:
Hi I have a 2013 kx250f and when I jump, the back of the bike sometimes doesn't stay straight and it goes to the left or...
Hi I have a 2013 kx250f and when I jump, the back of the bike sometimes doesn't stay straight and it goes to the left or right. Why is this happening? Do I need to adjust the rear rebound or is it a person error?
There is the factor of user error but also for shits and gigs try to screw in(clockwise) the rebound 2 clicks. See if it feels better ?
Bryce808
6/17/2014 9:11pm
It's hard to tune my bike cause after a few laps I'm tired haha, I'm gonna turn it all the way soft then hard and see if it helps. Then I'll fine tune it
MxKing809
Fantasy
315th
7/3/2014 5:17am
NO! Don't turn the clickers all the way max like that, you're eliminating the valving then and hurting suspension performance. I guessing when you leave the jump you lock up like most new riders. When you leave the jump begin to start making a standard movement that your comfortable with. If you make the same movement everytime you'll know exactly what's going to happen. I bend my knees right before takeoff and lean to the left on a normal jump I don't want to whip on.... That's like second nature and I don't realise I'm even doing it but it's just something that formed over a couple thousand hours of seat time

Bryce808
7/3/2014 1:02pm
I think my problem is that I don't grip the bike with my knees. I just have my legs loose
7/5/2014 7:29am
Honestly I grip less with my knees and more with my ankles. Personal preference. Make sure you ride on your toes or the arch of your foot, not the heel of your foot, there's more control that way.
moto38
7/11/2014 8:36am
Some of it comes down to not knowing what the bike is going to do in the air, and that comes with experience. Most seasoned riders know on the face of the jump if the bike is going to kick them one way or another.

I highly doubt its dude to suspension because its such a new bike that is a pretty well set up bike from the factory. I would make sure everything is set at the stock settings however.

The only advice I can give (because I dont like giving moto advice, everyone is a little different), is to let the bike move around a bit under you and be loose in the air as you jump. This of course comes with experience. Ride more mayne
Zesiger 112
Fantasy
2020th
7/13/2014 12:25am
Bryce808 wrote:
I think my problem is that I don't grip the bike with my knees. I just have my legs loose
Just take jumping slow until you get the hang of it and know u won't have any problems. And bingo! Griping the bike with your knees is a basic essential to riding, in all parts not just jumping. A good tip is to point your toes inward, right where you are try bending your knees with your toes pointed in. Your knees will naturally go inward. Now try it regular, most likely they will go out.
It's unlikely that you are spinning your wheel up the take off but that can throw you sideways, I did it when I first began riding. if you think you are then just take it easy on the gas when you go up a jump and stay in a neutral position. As you get more comfortable in the air you can start accelerating up the jump and getting further back on the bike which will stop wheel spin but also make the front end come up so be careful.
And if it does kick out sometimes it's alright, be loose, don't panic, don't tense up, flow with the bike. The bike is going to move around it's what they do. Just land on the gas it will straighten back out. Watch some pros whip, a lot of times they don't land straight, so it is possible.

allenb27
8/1/2014 5:34pm
Could be that you are getting a little kick left or right from a rut on the jump face. Looks like you live in Houston so you probably ride 3 Palms. They have lots of low trajectory jumps that don't give you a lot of time to correct it once what you describe begins to happen. Finish line jump on the main track is a good safe jump to practice on. Go during the week when they aren't busy and just hit that section over and over. I see guys cut the track to do that on weekends even when the place is crowded but it IS frowned upon.
oldman125
8/4/2014 6:32pm
Hold snug with your legs....this will keep you with the bike and allow you to "steer" it in the air.
HazemG
8/5/2014 7:57am
Sounds like you're doing what I do a lot, which is feeling like you're just dead sailing in the air. Maybe some strength and a little bit more reaction/ seat time should get you right.
8/14/2014 11:08pm
I dont know if they do it over in the usa but get a lesson or two ! I had one and it was the best 80 pound ever spent been so much quicker and confident ever since !! They will follow you around evaluate what your doing wrong and then you can work on it !
8/25/2014 4:27pm
Bryce808 wrote:
I don't get enough air time to correct the bike. I am confident on my bike but practice won't do me good cause I don't know...
I don't get enough air time to correct the bike. I am confident on my bike but practice won't do me good cause I don't know what I'm doing wrongSad
No your not confident on the bike or you wouldn't be on here asking why your rear end kicks out to the side..
Make sure the rear wheel is lined up evenly. Make sure the fork tubes are equal in heighth.
But.. more than likely its your body positioning.. Stay centered and your shoulders square with the bars. Also try not to gas it hard on the face of the jump right before liftoff..
HazemG
9/22/2014 10:34am
MxKing809 wrote:
NO! Don't turn the clickers all the way max like that, you're eliminating the valving then and hurting suspension performance. I guessing when you leave the...
NO! Don't turn the clickers all the way max like that, you're eliminating the valving then and hurting suspension performance. I guessing when you leave the jump you lock up like most new riders. When you leave the jump begin to start making a standard movement that your comfortable with. If you make the same movement everytime you'll know exactly what's going to happen. I bend my knees right before takeoff and lean to the left on a normal jump I don't want to whip on.... That's like second nature and I don't realise I'm even doing it but it's just something that formed over a couple thousand hours of seat time

Can you elaborate on this just a bit?

Post a reply to: Dirt bike unstable off jumps

The Latest