C class to B class advancement

bv
Edited Date/Time 11/28/2014 2:50pm
Looking to see when is the best time to move up? Should i wait untill I am bumped up by our organization or move up on my own...I'm not a dominant rider by any means...usually a 5th-8th place guy in 450 C when i have a good day and ride to the best of my ability.

The problem i have is when i get bad starts (which is quite a bit) I can't come through the field b/c guys are all over the place and cross jumping and what not. I've been riding for a really long time and am kind of bummed to still be in the C class but also don't know if moving up and getting waxed in the B class would be good either. I've won my fair share of trophies and year end awards but still lack consistency and the ability todo good on a variety of tracks. There are weeks I run top 8 then other weeks im in the last 5 spots.
Next year I'll be 30 and think i'll likely win or do very well in plus 30C. Whenever I race against the top plus 30C guys I finish ahead of them . So I dont know if i do that and have a good year and build confidence and get moved up or if i move up ahead of time. I'm not sure at if this age i can still make big gains in my riding, or if I'll make baby steps and should just do it for fun. So do I stay in C and push a little harder to get moved up or if i should move up to B and really push myself to stay with the pack. Thanks and looking forward to the advice
|
Rumple4skin
8/20/2014 2:06am
Man, I've always believed that riding/racing with faster people makes you faster. That being said, you could also do some damage to your confidence moving to B if you aren't consistently top 5 in C. If you can do well in +30C next year, run it! Win some races! If you feel like it's sandbagging, move up, but the whole point in racing is to have fun. Go for it man, and enjoy the new trophies!
Bwhite327
8/20/2014 7:58am Edited Date/Time 8/20/2014 7:59am
It's great that you're looking to move up by yourself. A lot of people do not move up until they're made. But in my opinion, I was top 3 mostly when i was racing in the C class. Few wins here and there. I qualified for Loretta Regionals and told myself, if either way, make it through regionals, move up, dont, move up anyways. I felt like i had the speed to hang mid pack in the B class. But if you're not consistently in the top 5 every race, i dont see a need to move up. You still have plenty of potential man. If I may ask, why do you think you are not in the top 3-5 every race? (i know it says starts, but what im asking rather, is, why do you think you get bad starts)
bv
8/20/2014 10:20am
Bwhite327 wrote:
It's great that you're looking to move up by yourself. A lot of people do not move up until they're made. But in my opinion, I...
It's great that you're looking to move up by yourself. A lot of people do not move up until they're made. But in my opinion, I was top 3 mostly when i was racing in the C class. Few wins here and there. I qualified for Loretta Regionals and told myself, if either way, make it through regionals, move up, dont, move up anyways. I felt like i had the speed to hang mid pack in the B class. But if you're not consistently in the top 5 every race, i dont see a need to move up. You still have plenty of potential man. If I may ask, why do you think you are not in the top 3-5 every race? (i know it says starts, but what im asking rather, is, why do you think you get bad starts)
I get nervous and check up way to early. Unless i come out of the hole with a great jump i check up way to soon going into the first turn. I dont do good when it comes to throwing the elbows around
bv
8/20/2014 10:21am
Man, I've always believed that riding/racing with faster people makes you faster. That being said, you could also do some damage to your confidence moving to...
Man, I've always believed that riding/racing with faster people makes you faster. That being said, you could also do some damage to your confidence moving to B if you aren't consistently top 5 in C. If you can do well in +30C next year, run it! Win some races! If you feel like it's sandbagging, move up, but the whole point in racing is to have fun. Go for it man, and enjoy the new trophies!
Great advice Rumple4skin. I appreciate it. I dont think moving up untill I am 100% ready is a good idea at my age. It's not like i will make leaps and bounds at my age

The Shop

Bwhite327
8/20/2014 10:30am
bv wrote:
I get nervous and check up way to early. Unless i come out of the hole with a great jump i check up way to soon...
I get nervous and check up way to early. Unless i come out of the hole with a great jump i check up way to soon going into the first turn. I dont do good when it comes to throwing the elbows around
Nerves are apart of it. I, myself, was really good at starts. And the reason why is because when all of my friends were out riding the track and taking eachother out, i had my dad drop rocks or throw them from behind me so i could get my timing down. You just have to make that choice to practice starts. Takes some time but when you get that holeshot after holeshot, youll smile cause its paying off. But on the other hand, i was great at starts but would lose more times than win because my endurance hahaha. anyways, just keep practicing hard on starts. every weekend you see "keys to the race" and ALL the time it's, get a clean start. Because thats really what it is about. Especially being in the novice class, if you get a bad start, you have goons who suck and shouldnt be riding anyways and its hard to get around. If anyone has anything else to add to help please dont hesitate!! (oh btw, to give you a reference, i holeshotted bogle at reynard raceway for a ponca qualifier a few years ago, dad has it on video somwhere :D)
bv
8/20/2014 10:51am
Thats a good idea. I think i get so caught up in working out, practicing corner speed but not starts...thats cool you holeshoted bogle! I guess your right i mean i do this for fun and what is more fun than winning or running up front. And unless i am completely dominating I'll still push myself and progress and get better.
Bwhite327
8/20/2014 11:03am
bv wrote:
Thats a good idea. I think i get so caught up in working out, practicing corner speed but not starts...thats cool you holeshoted bogle! I guess...
Thats a good idea. I think i get so caught up in working out, practicing corner speed but not starts...thats cool you holeshoted bogle! I guess your right i mean i do this for fun and what is more fun than winning or running up front. And unless i am completely dominating I'll still push myself and progress and get better.
no one EVER believes me on the bogle thing but i WILL find the video!!! And man it takes guts to get up there behind that gate every race so dont think youre doing anything wrong necessarily. Thats just a huge thing for this sport. Youll get there man! hang in there!!
mark_swart
9/22/2014 6:45pm
I'd say ride +25 and +30 and stop messing with the C or B classes altogether. You will still have fast guys in +25 but they won't be as wild as the kids. I used to race in upstate New York, I don't know if it's changed but the competition was pretty tough up there circa 2000!! Frozen Ocean was a cool track!
Markee
Fantasy
1890th
10/3/2014 12:16pm
C class is not what it use to be. Its a damn joke. Local track had the top 5 doing a 120ft Double. I mean really? Budds Creek last weekend, top 10 could have been in A class.

Forget the class warfare, just race guys at your speed, what ever that might be.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
10/24/2014 5:04pm
Do it when you're ready. I didn't turn Intermediate until I was 26 and I raced with those guys until I turned 30 - then I beat up on the Vets for a while.
mimafia
Fantasy
2682nd
10/25/2014 12:40pm
I'm somewhat guessing here but I'd say if you're finishing around 8th place out of 30 or so riders in C you'll be around 20th place in B. I agree with the other guys who suggested forgetting C and B and doing 30 C or the regular vet classes. If you want to contend then do 30 C. If you want to get experience racing with faster people do 25 plus/30 plus.
Frailey46
10/25/2014 7:28pm
I don't know about your area, but in my area 30+ is a combined B/C. And the top 10 or so are usually very fast. Just because its 30+ doesn't mean they are old and slow.

And the riders are safer/more competent. Open/Lite C is a death trap. Half of the guys have no sense. And probably the top 25% of the class are A/B riders that are sandbagging. I would stay out of any C class stuff if at all possible. It's a good way to get taken out or landed on IMHO. I'd do an age group or B if at all possible.

luke99
11/2/2014 1:33pm
Before I start I will say now I'm not an incredible rider to say the least but this might help so I will share it anyway...
My starts always used to be mediocre at best, same as you I'd get off the line ok and then settle in to mid-pack before the corner.

One race I looked over at the 'top' guy riding my class and thought you know what he is skin and bone just like me. He wasn't born any better than me there's no reason why I can't be fixing for the holeshot. Needless to say I got a top three start and needless to say start top 5 at least ever since.

Just about to start racing again after a few years off, let's see if my starts have stuck with me...
OR Racer46
Fantasy
876th
11/28/2014 2:50pm
I would suggest comparing your lap times . Also the vet classes now are NO joke when I line up at Lorretas I am with a bunch of FAST guys . even the slow guys are FAST

Post a reply to: C class to B class advancement

The Latest