Back to riding after 15 years...bike suggestions?

DFWracefan
In my mid 40's and just looking to trail ride and play around. Way back when I rode KDX200's and upgraded to a Gas Gas before I gave up riding. Now looking to ride again now that I have time. I am about 180lbs and looking for something nimble but fun (along the lines of a KTM 150). I figure that may be the closest thing to my old Gas Gas? I would think in 15 years a 250 is probably a little more than I need now. Any suggestions? I may....MAY ride an enduro or two but I am not riding to win or anything.
|
7/3/2016 3:07pm
Maybe go for the KTM 300 XCW or EXC might be a little more than you need but the extra torque makes it actually a little easier to ride!? Opt for the E-start as well you will never look back..lol.
7/4/2016 12:17pm
KTM 200 exc! Just buy one you'll love it.
Its a perfect bike to come back to, smooth power that is just enough without being too much. I enjoyed my first one so much I bought another a year after I sold my first.
The exc's do seem more reliable than the sx models too from my experience with them.

DFWracefan
7/6/2016 7:50pm
Thanks for the replies. Will update when one shows up in the garage. May be a little bit before I find what I am looking for but will update when it happens.
DFWracefan
7/9/2016 10:39am Edited Date/Time 7/9/2016 10:41am
I rode my brothers KX250 (2 stroke) for a very short time today. First time on anything in at least 15 years. Other than my now horrible eye sight and being completely out of shape, the basic concept came back much quicker than I thought. I was worried it would be way to much bike but I guess, older and wiser tamed down my experience today. It was nothing like being 15yo on my dads 1976 TT500! That was scary..........but a complete blast at the same time.

The Shop

PTECH
7/9/2016 11:10am
What type of riding are you looking to do? Are you only open to 2 strokes?
DFWracefan
7/9/2016 12:16pm
Trail riding, like enduro terrain. No MX or anything. I have never been a good rider just want to enjoy playing around. I have an eye condition (prism) that requires I wear glasses (can not wear contacts as they can't correct my eye issue). So I have to wear glasses that correct the prism (double vision) and they are progressive lenses. This issue was not present when I used to ride. Now I just want to play around and ride my own pace. Riding this morning for the first time in years. I know I can ride but I will never be as good as I would like to be. However it is not going to stop me from having a little fun.
PTECH
7/9/2016 4:10pm
DFWracefan wrote:
Trail riding, like enduro terrain. No MX or anything. I have never been a good rider just want to enjoy playing around. I have an eye...
Trail riding, like enduro terrain. No MX or anything. I have never been a good rider just want to enjoy playing around. I have an eye condition (prism) that requires I wear glasses (can not wear contacts as they can't correct my eye issue). So I have to wear glasses that correct the prism (double vision) and they are progressive lenses. This issue was not present when I used to ride. Now I just want to play around and ride my own pace. Riding this morning for the first time in years. I know I can ride but I will never be as good as I would like to be. However it is not going to stop me from having a little fun.
Gotcha. For that type of riding the KTM XCW line is perfect IMO. These are bikes that are meant to be trail ridden so they have kickstands, a tail light and headlight, and electric start. They're a little heavier than a pure MX bike but for the kind of riding you're looking to do you probably want all that stuff so you would end up adding to a MX bike anyways. I used to ride 2 stroke MX bikes on the trails until I switched to an xcw and now I definitely prefer this type of bike and would recommend it to someone who isn't going racing. I rode a 200 xc-w a few years ago and I've never been able to shake the idea of getting one out of my head, too bad they're super hard to find, people dont sell em!

Also if you haven't ridden a 4 stroke in a while, you should give one a try. A 250 four stroke now is a really awesome bike, light like a 125 2 stroke but with torque.
DFWracefan
7/17/2016 8:31pm
Pretty much had my choice narrowed down to a 2013-14 KTM 200xc. However finding one that is decent anywhere within a days drive is proving to be a task. I found some low hour 250xc's for around 5500-6k. Looks like new 2016 200xc are still around 8k. I am going to keep looking and socking some money back and see if something good comes up. I REALLY REALLY hate to buy new, but at the same time I hate to buy someone's "sell it while it still runs" left over bike.
DFWracefan
8/2/2016 7:53pm
Still on the fence as to which bike to go with....

bike 1....2014 KTM 250xcw with 25 hours and completely stock $6k

Bike 2 ...2015 KTM 250 XCF with approx 75 hours (no hour meter) with aftermarket bars, rekluse clutch, skid plate, flex levers and FMF slip on...6800

BIKE 3...left over NEW 2016 KTM 250xcw...

Bike 4...NEW 2017 KTM 250 xcf
Bike 5 NEW 2017 KTM 250xcw

DuroTools
8/3/2016 8:50pm
If you don't get enough feedback here than you should ask this in the race shop section even though it does really belong here but I'd bet you would get some more hardcore KTM guys that could weigh in specifically. I know the 17's are getting air shocks and I think are also shedding allot of weight in other places too. Don't do the 14 cause the 15's are better in many ways so best bang for the buck would be #2 especially if he is around the same weight and has already done the suspension to your weight but if you have the money then screw it and go with the 17, most of the time the newer the better but you may want to wait a few months till some more news and time is spent on them. Whats the cost on the leftover 16, you said like 8 grand? This bike is high on my list too so I'd be interested to hear more opinions. Good luck!
DFWracefan
8/4/2016 10:42am
Decided on one....BIKE 6...lol

Had to make a quick trip to New Mexico with my wife and spotted a used 14 200xcw with 17 hours on it. Needs a few things like hand guards and little things. But for not having a bike in 15 years....it will get me started.

DuroTools
8/4/2016 2:54pm
Wow that looks super clean. Good for you that's awesome , ya that will be more than enough to get you going you'll probably keep it for the next 5 years at least.
I started riding again about 2 years ago, I had to stop cause I was unknowingly living with Crohns disease and it kept me from being able to workout cause I couldn't stay hydrated or keep enough vitamins to workout and feel right but now that I'm diagnosed and on meds and I moved to a better area for riding I finally am riding on a regular basis. Lost 15 pounds and am back in decent shape after riding 1 day a week for the last year or two plus a tiny bit of MTB! Have fun and now get some good gear cause you'll crash allot in the beginning. I've been riding on and off since I was like real young and I still took some real bad spills when I first started again after 6 years off. I used to only wear a chest protector when I was in my 20's but when I started riding again I got knee, elbow, and a chest protector with shoulder pads and if I didn't have those I'm sure I would have broken something cause when you go over the handlebars at 50mph and land on hard rock it's no fun, luckily for you your area looks softer than where I live!
I recommend these EE hand guards (also sold by MSR), they don't wrap around so they keep your bars shorter so you can get through tight spots plus they have some forgiveness so if you do hit something it won't rip the bars out of your hand. There are some minor design things that I would change about them but I tried 4 types and these were the best by far. Also they bend back so they can take falls good and also they aren't closed so there's no chances of getting your arm stuck in there and snapping your wrist like can happen with bark busters!
https://shop.enduroeng.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&category=10_6
DFWracefan
8/4/2016 5:42pm
Thanks for the info. Sounds like you have been on a similar path.

Now if my brother can get his forks back from the shop......we can go riding again!!!!!
DFWracefan
8/7/2016 10:32am
Very happy with my decision! Plenty of power for me! Actually surprised how well it runs. I guess technology has come a long way since my last bike. Anyway.....smiling ear to ear!!
DFWracefan
8/10/2016 6:15am
The before pic....rode it twice now and plan to change a few things up. Got a few parts ordered. Nothing crazy just some little things to make it ready for trail riding.

DuroTools
8/10/2016 12:01pm
Share some pics once you have all the goodies on and she's almost finalized. My good riding buddy has the same bike but in a 15 and he loves it!

Post a reply to: Back to riding after 15 years...bike suggestions?

The Latest