"zoot capri" what does/did it mean in the old days of Motocross?

Johnny Depp
7/31/2018 7:18am Edited Date/Time 7/31/2018 2:09pm
mx317 wrote:
Makes me think of Montesa for some reason.
BobbyM wrote:
Name of their mx bike.
mx317 wrote:
They were VA, VB and skipped VD lol. They had a Vehkonan edition. Tesla came to mind, but I think that may have been their trials...
They were VA, VB and skipped VD lol. They had a Vehkonan edition. Tesla came to mind, but I think that may have been their trials bike.
Montesa's bikes were Cappra's, and then the model designation.

Close, but not Capri. But having owned several of them, yes, they were Zoot Capri!

KMC440
7/31/2018 7:23am
I thought it wss a transgression. High Zoot being less "Zoot" than Zoot Capri, the highest level of "Zoot".
Johnny Depp
7/31/2018 7:29am
zoot suit

[zoot]

noun
1.a man's suit with baggy, tight-cuffed, sometimes high-waisted trousers and an oversized jacket with exaggeratedly broad, padded shoulders and wide lapels, often worn with suspenders and a long watch chain and first popularized in the early 1940s.

Capri pants (also known as three quarter pants, capris, crop pants, pedal pushers, clam-diggers, flood pants, jams, highwaters, culottes, or toreador pants) are pants that are longer than shorts but are not as long as trousers. They typically come down to between knee and calf or ankle length.

The Shop

mx317
7/31/2018 9:23am
BobbyM wrote:
Name of their mx bike.
mx317 wrote:
They were VA, VB and skipped VD lol. They had a Vehkonan edition. Tesla came to mind, but I think that may have been their trials...
They were VA, VB and skipped VD lol. They had a Vehkonan edition. Tesla came to mind, but I think that may have been their trials bike.
Montesa's bikes were Cappra's, and then the model designation. Close, but not Capri. But having owned several of them, yes, they were Zoot Capri! [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/07/31/277884/s1200_montesa.jpg[/img]

Close, but not Capri. But having owned several of them, yes, they were Zoot Capri!

I knew there was some reason that Montesa came to mind when I saw that. I guess the Capri reminded me of Cappra! I always though the Bultacos and Montesas were awesome looking bikes.
davistld01
7/31/2018 9:25am
zoot capri = the coolest, the trickest or the most "unobtainable"
ga_pike
7/31/2018 9:26am Edited Date/Time 7/31/2018 9:33am

Zoot Capri Magazine circa 1984. You can read it here: https://archive.org/details/zootcapri1984fal

Apparently, this was a publication by the Alberta Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Commission. It was free for 12 to 16 years olds who lived in Alberta and featured some content provided by the readers.
BobbyM
7/31/2018 12:39pm
BobbyM wrote:
Name of their mx bike.
mx317 wrote:
Montesa's bikes were Cappra's, and then the model designation. Close, but not Capri. But having owned several of them, yes, they were Zoot Capri! [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/07/31/277884/s1200_montesa.jpg[/img]

Yes you are correct.. My mistake.
neverwas
Fantasy
784th
7/31/2018 12:47pm
I think it was actually "hi zoot capri"
By the way...Pete Szilagyi...
That's how I remember it. most of time we just said Hi Zoot.
Vet57
7/31/2018 2:44pm
The Reverend Paul approves...
plowboy
7/31/2018 3:36pm
Were orange hands a by product of "hi-zoot" or "zoot Capri"? I can't remember the brand of gloves but if you had 'em...and the ensuing orange hands...you were some degree of zoot. That was a long time ago but I remember they looked cool but lasted about as long as a dollar store pair of flip flops. I think the Bazzer did an article about 'em....
mx317
7/31/2018 4:08pm
plowboy wrote:
Were orange hands a by product of "hi-zoot" or "zoot Capri"? I can't remember the brand of gloves but if you had 'em...and the ensuing orange...
Were orange hands a by product of "hi-zoot" or "zoot Capri"? I can't remember the brand of gloves but if you had 'em...and the ensuing orange hands...you were some degree of zoot. That was a long time ago but I remember they looked cool but lasted about as long as a dollar store pair of flip flops. I think the Bazzer did an article about 'em....
Were they the Mikkola JT Gloves, or Hallman gloves?
plowboy
7/31/2018 6:37pm
plowboy wrote:
Were orange hands a by product of "hi-zoot" or "zoot Capri"? I can't remember the brand of gloves but if you had 'em...and the ensuing orange...
mx317 wrote:
Were they the Mikkola JT Gloves, or Hallman gloves?
Man I honestly don't remember. It was 1976. I sold my 1941 Chevy 2 door coupe hot rod for enough to buy a '75 125 Elsinore with a red line swing arm, Koni laid downs, pipe...etc, a bell helmet, hi-point boots, carrera goggles...and those gloves. Joined the Air Force and volunteered for Europe so I could race that bike over there. While in basic training, our barn (and my bike/gear) burned down. I took what money I had and bought a new '75 Yamaha MX400 still in the crate and shipped it overseas. That's what I raced over there. Funny anecdote...you had to have leathers to race over there. They were high dollar but custom made. They asked what name I wanted stitched on the butt. I was a huge MXA fan so "BERZERKO" it was. They turned my legs as blue as the gloves did orange.
plowboy
7/31/2018 6:41pm

Nasty and worn but still got 'em.
linker48x
7/31/2018 6:51pm
Wow, that takes me back to some random Wednesday afternoon in ‘72 or ‘73 at the Shadow Glen course, cutting class and doing laps. Zoot Capri=very, very trick. Sounds like Pete Szilagyi invented that, to me. I still have a Hopetown ‘73 painter’s hat hanging on an old trophy down in the weight room, I’ll have to go put it on, and then I’ll be Zoot Capri!

And yup, it’s Great YELLOW Dirt Bike Truck.

Post a reply to: "zoot capri" what does/did it mean in the old days of Motocross?

The Latest