“yz250f most reliable bike” ???

MotoRard713
So everyone raves about how reliable these yz250fs are but I’ve had atleast 6 different friends each blow there bike up within 30 hours, weather it be valve, rod or timing chain issues. had another buddy blow his bike up at 12 hours this past weekend from sucking in dirt, it’s also important to mention they all do the proper maintenance. I’ve had 3 250sxfs all over 100 hours and never had a single issue, I’ve been wanting to switchover to yamahas just to try something different but these yamahas blowing below 30 hours is kinda scaring me away. And I know some people have had plenty yamahas without issues, but I’m questioning that reliability quote.
|
MotoRard713
5/27/2022 7:06am
Do your buddies do maintenance or nah
They do. My buddy who sucked in dirt also has that aftermarket filter cage that’s supposed to help with dirt getting in aswell.
Hrzk75
Fantasy
2095th
5/27/2022 7:07am
Do your buddies do maintenance or nah
do you read the whole post or nah

i had some big troubles with my 19 yzf aswell, well taken care off.
5/27/2022 7:14am
We have one here, 10 hours, engine KABOOM. Repaired at massive cost, now gone. No more motocross for it's owner. I have a photo, but out of respect to the owner, i don't want to post. He's upset about it. Dream bike, brand new... done.

The Shop

MotoRard713
5/27/2022 7:19am
Joshracing wrote:
We have one here, 10 hours, engine KABOOM. Repaired at massive cost, now gone. No more motocross for it's owner. I have a photo, but out...
We have one here, 10 hours, engine KABOOM. Repaired at massive cost, now gone. No more motocross for it's owner. I have a photo, but out of respect to the owner, i don't want to post. He's upset about it. Dream bike, brand new... done.
Yup, what year was his bike by the way? 19-21 is what I see the most issues with
CraigCrashes
Fantasy
1788th
5/27/2022 7:19am
Idk what you guys are talking about. My 2006 had a couple hundred hours on it.
davis224
Fantasy
165th
5/27/2022 7:20am
They haven't been the same since they went to 4 valve. The old 5 valve design was bulletproof for a 250f.
5/27/2022 7:26am
I read on vital that the KTMs are the ones that are unreliable, poorly engineered, with terrible customer service. Also something about a warranty.
Skerby
5/27/2022 7:30am
My 21 has been a reallly solid bike. Did a top end at 50 hours and everything seemed dialed. Probably do a bottom end before 100 just because of threads like these lol.
MotoRard713
5/27/2022 7:41am
I read on vital that the KTMs are the ones that are unreliable, poorly engineered, with terrible customer service. Also something about a warranty.
Yeah I’m sure there’s a lot of people that have had problems with their ktms aswell, just from what I have seen personally yamahas have a lot of issues. Like I said I myself have had 3 250sxfs an 18 19 and 21 all over 100 hours and never had any issues.
vdrsnk04
Fantasy
4295th
5/27/2022 7:56am
“had another buddy blow his bike up at 12 hours this past weekend from sucking in dirt, it’s also important to mention they all do the proper maintenance.”

These two sentences can’t coincide with one another lol. If you do proper maintenance, you use grease on the sealing surface when installing the air filter for a proper seal which doesn’t allow dirt to get in with proper filter oil in the filter on top of it.

There is a reason Yamaha is known by everyone for reliability, because it is.

Signed, your friendly KTM owner.
brocsdad
5/27/2022 8:05am
If he was doing proper maintenance there's no way he could have sucked dirt. We've had a 19 and 21 and just picked up another 21. So far they have been great. Just clean the filter every ride and if you do happen to drop some dirt in the boot (with aftermarket screen elimination kit) vacuum it out and then wipe the boot out. A lot of guys will lay the bike on its side when removing the filter.

The only issue we had was a wire off the quick connect for the start button broke. It was due to a top over or the pressure washer? Not sure but its all good now.

The timing chain was upgraded in 2021 but its still a good idea to replace within 50 hours.

Good Luck!

NorCal1975
5/27/2022 8:07am
Seems like all the magazines talk about how reliable the YZ450 is compared to the others, but I don't recall reading as much about YZ250F reliability? I know historically Yamaha seems to be all about building quality across all of their products (they even make nice pianos, lol), but I wonder if the reliability reputation is built more off of the 450 and not so much the 250? I have owned 2 YZ450s and never had a single thing break motor wise in hundreds of hours (they were properly maintained).

I am curious because I have a 14 year old who is now almost 6 feet tall all of a sudden. He looks like Arminas Jasikonis on his supermini...
Hudd_421
5/27/2022 8:13am
Meh, search any bike and you'll find a story about one letting go at 10 hrs, and another going 200hrs on a single piston.
Shit happens, people grossly overstate their maintenance/riding abilities, and sometimes you just get lucky/unlucky.

Only thing I'll ever say is stay away from Hot Rods cranks lol
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
5/27/2022 8:14am
brocsdad wrote:
If he was doing proper maintenance there's no way he could have sucked dirt. We've had a 19 and 21 and just picked up another 21...
If he was doing proper maintenance there's no way he could have sucked dirt. We've had a 19 and 21 and just picked up another 21. So far they have been great. Just clean the filter every ride and if you do happen to drop some dirt in the boot (with aftermarket screen elimination kit) vacuum it out and then wipe the boot out. A lot of guys will lay the bike on its side when removing the filter.

The only issue we had was a wire off the quick connect for the start button broke. It was due to a top over or the pressure washer? Not sure but its all good now.

The timing chain was upgraded in 2021 but its still a good idea to replace within 50 hours.

Good Luck!

LOL I lauged at that line too. Laughing

had another buddy blow his bike up at 12 hours this past weekend from sucking in dirt, it’s also important to mention they all do the proper maintenance

If he sucked dirt then he's not doing his mantaince correctly and who knows what else he screwed up. Laughing
MotoRard713
5/27/2022 8:25am
brocsdad wrote:
If he was doing proper maintenance there's no way he could have sucked dirt. We've had a 19 and 21 and just picked up another 21...

Good Luck!

lostboy819 wrote:
LOL I lauged at that line too. :laugh: [b]had another buddy blow his bike up at 12 hours this past weekend from sucking in dirt, it’s...

had another buddy blow his bike up at 12 hours this past weekend from sucking in dirt, it’s also important to mention they all do the proper maintenance

If he sucked dirt then he's not doing his mantaince correctly and who knows what else he screwed up. Laughing
He cleans his filter and uses grease around the seals every ride. He rides a sand track. If that’s the case he’d need a filter every moto
Zycki11
5/27/2022 8:30am
They are phenomenal bikes. Don't be hesitant and just enjoy it. The stories seem like they weren't particular about doing maintenance.
Richy
5/27/2022 8:40am
I've seen a handful with front brake issues, either getting stuck or being real weak and then a seal packs in.

Is that pretty common or just random? I've not seen it happen to another bike personally, in the real world.
GD350
Fantasy
1525th
5/27/2022 8:50am Edited Date/Time 5/27/2022 8:58am
Ive heard of Timing chain issues. The air intake location sucks ALOT of dust/water aswell. The last round of gncc last year was a Yamaha graveyard, like 10 of em blown up around there
AH387
5/27/2022 8:51am
I would be willing to bet most of the failures are filter related, whether it be stock or especially the aftermarket cage systems. You have to be extra careful when you do filter changes, as it's so easy to get dirt down into the intake. Also, you have to grease the ring/contact area of the filter. And I also like to use No Toil filter oil but I do not like using it on the new YZFs. So I use it on my 125 (and when I had my Husky) but I use spray tack filter oil on the YZF filter because It just seems to be easier to get enough oil on there w/i any dripping or residue. And I pay extra attention to make sure I have the whole filter covered. Things happen with all bikes, but I believe in general the new YZFs are good bikes but you need to be extra attentive to the filter/intake, especially if you run the aftermarket set-ups.
Timo
5/27/2022 8:54am
Like everyone else said, proper maintenance should keep dirt from getting into the engine. I've been running the stock Yamaha filter setup, with the rubber grommet in the center of the filter, since 2019. I ride 60% sand, never had an issue with anything getting past it. I'd have to guess the aftermarket filter wasn't installed correctly. I've even sucked water into my engine (it's a 450) during a river crossing, and static locked the engine. I waited 15 minutes for the water to drain past the rings, started it back up, and rode 2 miles back to my truck. 1 gallon of diesel oil later and it was good to go. This was 40 hours ago, no issues yet, knock on wood...

Another thing to note, iirc the YZ250F is the sales leader in racing dirt bikes in the USA, so there are lots of them that run without issue and you never hear about them.
c0ncEpT
5/27/2022 8:59am
brocsdad wrote:

Good Luck!

lostboy819 wrote:
LOL I lauged at that line too. :laugh: [b]had another buddy blow his bike up at 12 hours this past weekend from sucking in dirt, it’s...

He cleans his filter and uses grease around the seals every ride. He rides a sand track. If that’s the case he’d need a filter every...
He cleans his filter and uses grease around the seals every ride. He rides a sand track. If that’s the case he’d need a filter every moto
In heavy dust or sand you literally do need to change the filter every moto. Poor filter maintenance will blow anything up.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
5/27/2022 9:02am Edited Date/Time 5/27/2022 9:03am
brocsdad wrote:

Good Luck!

lostboy819 wrote:

He cleans his filter and uses grease around the seals every ride. He rides a sand track. If that’s the case he’d need a filter every...
I guess not, or he would not have sucked dirt. Laughing and extra filters are a hell of a lot cheaper than blowing up a motor.........................DUH!!
TheGetFresh
Fantasy
2551st
5/27/2022 9:12am
Do you watch him do it every time?
MotoRard713
5/27/2022 9:17am
lostboy819 wrote:

c0ncEpT wrote:
In heavy dust or sand you literally do need to change the filter every moto. Poor filter maintenance will blow anything up.
I wasn’t aware of that, I’m pretty sure 24 is gonna be the new model yz250fs, maybe they’ll make improvements to the filter cage so that you don’t have to do that. hopefully a hydraulic clutch too
Crash217
5/27/2022 9:19am
My 250FX is at 148 hours and I've never even peeked inside the valve cover.

Fresh Rotella every couple rides. Clean/re-oil the airfilter as needed.

I put in a set of clutch plates at 83 hours, the OEM looked great.

The only thing I've had fail/wear out prematurely in my opinion is the starter system. I've rebuilt the starter 3 times. Glad I have the kickstart backup.

Figure I'll continue riding and racing as I have been until it starts making noise or won't start. Then I'll rebuild it and start all over.

I don't moto much at all, just A class off-road racing.
ACBailey89
Fantasy
2553rd
5/27/2022 9:58am
They do. My buddy who sucked in dirt also has that aftermarket filter cage that’s supposed to help with dirt getting in aswell.
Usually those aftermarket air filter cages get rid of the back screen and let get dirt in EASIER not harder.
Zycki11
5/27/2022 10:16am
c0ncEpT wrote:
I wasn’t aware of that, I’m pretty sure 24 is gonna be the new model yz250fs, maybe they’ll make improvements to the filter cage so that...
I wasn’t aware of that, I’m pretty sure 24 is gonna be the new model yz250fs, maybe they’ll make improvements to the filter cage so that you don’t have to do that. hopefully a hydraulic clutch too
For what reason is a hydraulic clutch needed on the Yamaha? Cable has better feel, less expense, and the Yamaha in particular has a great clutch with a great pull.
5/27/2022 10:34am
Is he one of these younger guys just holding it wide open, clutch half in, and then in the air unleash the rev limiter from holy hell. Keefer called it B class fast 😂

Post a reply to: “yz250f most reliable bike” ???

The Latest