would all factory bikes

Related:
Create New Tag

1/25/2015 5:08 PM

not be at the weight limt for supercross. ???? even like last years factory KTM ? its just the standard one is nearly there now .

|

1/25/2015 5:10 PM

Perhaps, but the difference is that KTM can more easily redistribute that weight.

|

James = #7. Malcolm = #27
7/27=0.259259259259259259259
Stewart return confirmed!

1/25/2015 5:27 PM

Derpin' DJ wrote:

Perhaps, but the difference is that KTM can more easily redistribute that weight.

yea and less money for making it light too . just seem weird everytime fro says that KTM is so much lighter .like everyones else s bike is a lot lot heavier ?

|

1/25/2015 5:37 PM

I'd guess Hondas are also on the light side. Some of the others not so much.

|

1/25/2015 5:53 PM

GuyB wrote:

I'd guess Hondas are also on the light side. Some of the others not so much.

aw right . god I thought they d all be mad light . love to know how much AC 222 Bike weighs this year id say that will be scary light

|

1/25/2015 6:20 PM

Who's got the lightest engine...by far?

|

I ripped a start from Egypt and I was happy about that.

1/25/2015 6:22 PM

brimx153 wrote:

aw right . god I thought they d all be mad light . love to know how much AC 222 Bike weighs this year id say that will be scary light

As his 350 - if he elects to use it still - is the 250 module (yes, the new engine too), KTM will probably have all sorts of options for weight placements / additions in MXGP.

The 450 / MXGP class weight limits, for USA / The GPs, are with about 1/2 , to 1 lb - I can't recall which series is the lighter limit. They can use full on Works bikes in the GPs, but they don't have far lower minimum weight rules. I think it's maybe time for the limits to be dropped by say, 10lbs, now.

|

1/26/2015 12:03 PM

GuyB wrote:

I'd guess Hondas are also on the light side. Some of the others not so much.

brimx153 wrote:

aw right . god I thought they d all be mad light . love to know how much AC 222 Bike weighs this year id say that will be scary light

Bearuno wrote:

As his 350 - if he elects to use it still - is the 250 module (yes, the new engine too), KTM will probably have all sorts of options for weight placements / additions in MXGP.

The 450 / MXGP class weight limits, for USA / The GPs, are with about 1/2 , to 1 lb - I can't recall which series is the lighter limit. They can use full on Works bikes in the GPs, but they don't have far lower minimum weight rules. I think it's maybe time for the limits to be dropped by say, 10lbs, now.

did nt think there was a weight limit in mxgp , cause they are full works bike s

|

1/26/2015 12:57 PM

They started having weight limits in the gp's in '74? Maybe '73. Mainly because Suzuki had their bikes well under 200lbs. I'm not sure if they have modified the limit during all these years. A KTM 250 SX is under the limit on the showroom floor. Practically a works bike. Dirt Rider I think, did an article on a 250 SX a few years ago that they put a 300 kit on. Titanium pipe plus a few other pieces and they had it under 200lbs.

|

1/26/2015 1:57 PM

At one point the weight limits were higher than now and the stock KX500 was under minimum .. i think some guys put half a chain in the airbox to make weight. .. factory bikes had weight in the sump plates .

|

1/26/2015 3:13 PM

wreckitrandy wrote:

They started having weight limits in the gp's in '74? Maybe '73. Mainly because Suzuki had their bikes well under 200lbs. I'm not sure if they have modified the limit during all these years. A KTM 250 SX is under the limit on the showroom floor. Practically a works bike. Dirt Rider I think, did an article on a 250 SX a few years ago that they put a 300 kit on. Titanium pipe plus a few other pieces and they had it under 200lbs.

That was an effort by Donnie Emler and Danny LaPorte at FMF which also utilized TUBLISS to get under 200 pounds. The only thing better than a 300cc two stroke is one that weighs under 200 pounds.

|

"My philosophy is to have a really good time and never to let anything stop me from doing what I want to do.

Michel Petrucciani

1/26/2015 10:38 PM

wreckitrandy wrote:

They started having weight limits in the gp's in '74? Maybe '73. Mainly because Suzuki had their bikes well under 200lbs. I'm not sure if they have modified the limit during all these years. A KTM 250 SX is under the limit on the showroom floor. Practically a works bike. Dirt Rider I think, did an article on a 250 SX a few years ago that they put a 300 kit on. Titanium pipe plus a few other pieces and they had it under 200lbs.

The Rock wrote:

That was an effort by Donnie Emler and Danny LaPorte at FMF which also utilized TUBLISS to get under 200 pounds. The only thing better than a 300cc two stroke is one that weighs under 200 pounds.

The expansion chamber was titanium on that bike!

|

1/26/2015 10:48 PM

TeamGreen wrote:

Who's got the lightest engine...by far?

i would guess Honda, but a fair bit to,

I would be suprised if the factory honda was much over the weight limit, and i would guess the Suz/Yam/KAwi's are not far off it either,

|

1/27/2015 12:09 AM

TeamGreen wrote:

Who's got the lightest engine...by far?

scott_nz wrote:

i would guess Honda, but a fair bit to,

I would be suprised if the factory honda was much over the weight limit, and i would guess the Suz/Yam/KAwi's are not far off it either,

450s: The New KTM . By 1.5 pound, I think.

|

I ripped a start from Egypt and I was happy about that.

1/27/2015 12:19 AM

TeamGreen wrote:

Who's got the lightest engine...by far?

scott_nz wrote:

i would guess Honda, but a fair bit to,

I would be suprised if the factory honda was much over the weight limit, and i would guess the Suz/Yam/KAwi's are not far off it either,

I would agree, I would say they are all around the same minimum weight

|

Current rides: 2020 CRF450RWE and 2019 TC300
Occasional ride for VMX: 1985 CR500RF
Adventure/Road bike: CRF1000L

1/27/2015 2:09 AM

I checked - 450s in GPs have a 1kg (2.2lbs) lower weight limit than AMA Pro, and in 250s they have a 3lb lower weight limit in MX2. With the. SX series being FIM sanctioned, I wonder if the lower weight limit for 450s applies? Probably not, I daresay there are specific rules drawn up for SX?

|

1/27/2015 5:41 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/27/2015 5:42 AM

So you mean the heaviest bike out there had the most wins and 4 straight championship titles for 4 straight years?

|

1/27/2015 6:00 AM

Being able to redistribute the weight the reach the minimum limit seems like it would be a significant advantage.

|

1/27/2015 7:02 AM

GuyB wrote:

I'd guess Hondas are also on the light side. Some of the others not so much.

brimx153 wrote:

aw right . god I thought they d all be mad light . love to know how much AC 222 Bike weighs this year id say that will be scary light

Scary light, and maybe a little big bigger slug (piston) inside that 410cc.....er, I mean 350cc cylinder.tongue

|

1/27/2015 5:57 PM

philG wrote:

At one point the weight limits were higher than now and the stock KX500 was under minimum .. i think some guys put half a chain in the airbox to make weight. .. factory bikes had weight in the sump plates .

how light would 500's be now if they had kept working on them?

|

1/27/2015 6:43 PM

GuyB wrote:

I'd guess Hondas are also on the light side. Some of the others not so much.

Jeez man u r in the pits each weekend n u say tom Honda r the others not so much then ppl argue that the others r probably near limit. Am I missing something?

|

1/31/2015 10:36 AM

I seems to me that big advantage in handling in the 450 class could be had with exotic light weight crank shafts and other internal engine rotating assembly. Maybe they are doing this, but it seems like I read a couple years ago that most teams are running stock cranks.

|

1/31/2015 10:47 AM

GuyB wrote:

I'd guess Hondas are also on the light side. Some of the others not so much.

austin888_99 wrote:

Jeez man u r in the pits each weekend n u say tom Honda r the others not so much then ppl argue that the others r probably near limit. Am I missing something?

|

Twitter: @ftemoto
Instagram: @mstusiak

1/31/2015 11:40 AM

I remember FMF saying they saved a fair amount of weight trimming on the plastic.

|