why no neck brace?

Muezh
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 7:27pm
I counted 12 riders wearing a neck brace of some sort in the 450 class at Red Bud yesterday. 12 out 40..

what gives? maybe I don't follow message boards enough and this was already discussed but it kinda surprised me. heck, it might even be half that if they weren't getting paid to wear them.

And I'd say only half wear any sort of chest protector.

|
RMZ819
7/5/2009 8:10am Edited Date/Time 7/5/2009 8:11am
Jabjr222
7/5/2009 9:48am
So? Maybe it could be that the neck braces aren't sent from the baby jesus himself and that riders are making up their own minds whether the things are a benefit or a liability.
flarider
7/5/2009 9:52am
Not everyone is convinced of their effectiveness as well as the fact that to some they seem to create or cause other or additional injuries.

oldx
7/5/2009 10:03am
Sounds like Mudflaps thinks they work now. GuyB interview.

The Shop

Jabjr222
7/5/2009 10:22am
oldx, see, that is what I am always talking about... every time someone crashes with a brace on, they swear it saved them from catastrophic injury. It doesn't work like that.
Trip
7/5/2009 11:06am
Jabjr222 wrote:
oldx, see, that is what I am always talking about... every time someone crashes with a brace on, they swear it saved them from catastrophic injury...
oldx, see, that is what I am always talking about... every time someone crashes with a brace on, they swear it saved them from catastrophic injury. It doesn't work like that.
My crash, I landed head and shoulder first. Major bruising on the right top side of my head. Broken calvical, 4 broken ribs, and some internal bleeding and bruising. I wasn't wearing a neck brace of any kind. Not saying they are bad or don't work, but you can crash badly and not have a neck brace and be ok.
mxaaron
7/5/2009 11:39am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 12:45am
How many of them wear chest protectors?

They are far from a cross section of what the masses are doing.

Go to any local race and you will see about 85% of every kid you see wearing one.

The OT classes are still quite a bit lower in %.

CamP
7/5/2009 11:49am
They don't look cool.
fcr
7/5/2009 11:58am
CamP wrote:
They don't look cool.
Kind of like TDF guys not wearing helmets, now they all do. It will take time but with all the young guys wearing them, it will turn.
chrisbuehler
7/5/2009 12:00pm
I can see your point with the neck brace weather I agree or not but chest protectors? They protect nothing. I guess they could help with roost but just get the holeshot and you with be all set.
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1177th
7/5/2009 12:05pm
I can see your point with the neck brace weather I agree or not but chest protectors? They protect nothing. I guess they could help with...
I can see your point with the neck brace weather I agree or not but chest protectors? They protect nothing. I guess they could help with roost but just get the holeshot and you with be all set.
My son was pretty happy he was wearing a chest protector when his motorcycle landed on his back during our last ride. Still got bruised up, but it would obviously have been much worse if there were nothing to break the bike's fall but his spine.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
7/5/2009 12:17pm Edited Date/Time 7/5/2009 12:21pm
I can see your point with the neck brace weather I agree or not but chest protectors? They protect nothing. I guess they could help with...
Yep, and don't crash, and you won't need that expensive insurance.

That stuff's overrated anyway...

Will boots protect you from every possible broken leg? No.

Will helmets protect you from every possible concussion? No.

Will neck braces protect you from every possibly spinal injury? No.

But I choose to wear all of it every time I ride. So do a lot of other people. You make your own choices, and your own level of risk. It's a personal choice.
Spinner
7/5/2009 12:25pm
The AMA should fine the riders for not wearing them.[/sarcasm]
Gardner37
7/5/2009 12:52pm
Seems too me spinal injuries are way down since these came out. Can's seem to find that stat sheet though.
Spinner
7/5/2009 12:53pm
Gardner37 wrote:
Seems too me spinal injuries are way down since these came out. Can's seem to find that stat sheet though.
Prove it.
mx757
7/5/2009 1:21pm
Gardner37 wrote:
thats because there is no stat sheet on that. everytime anyone hits the ground now in the old trip over the bars they think the brace saved them. I took a pretty gnarly trip over the bars a couple years back and folded myself in half with no brace. It was such a hard inpact I cracked the chinguard on my helmet. I still walk just fine (well other than th limp from the destroyed ankle a couple months later.

heres another thing. Lawrence is sponsored by leatt (he has the logos on his jersey) yet when was the last time you saw him wearing the brace?

as far as the chest protector thing, I think you would be surprised at how many riders are using them under their jerseys. I remember a few years back tortelli was sponsored by no fear but you could see in a picture that he had one of the thor (i think it was the scattershield, whichever one was replaced by the sentinel) chest protectors on under his vented jersey.
SPARTAN
7/5/2009 4:23pm
That's a perfect quote, from someone who does NOT ride !

tw180
7/5/2009 4:33pm
I used to have one, but it got stollen last year at Unadilla from me. For about 6 months, I borrowed buddies braces because I didn't have enough money to buy another one. But now, i ride without one, and i like it better because i can actually move my kneck around. But the point is, it's if your comfortable or not.
Tommy162
7/5/2009 5:24pm
My dad was pretty upset he decided to leave his in the garage the day his bike fell on him and broke 3 ribs and collapsed one of his lungs.
The Rock
7/6/2009 7:56am
Trip wrote:
My crash, I landed head and shoulder first. Major bruising on the right top side of my head. Broken calvical, 4 broken ribs, and some internal...
My crash, I landed head and shoulder first. Major bruising on the right top side of my head. Broken calvical, 4 broken ribs, and some internal bleeding and bruising. I wasn't wearing a neck brace of any kind. Not saying they are bad or don't work, but you can crash badly and not have a neck brace and be ok.
Were you wearing a chest protector?

It would be a great start if racing required a chest protector with spinal protection....they are not as "controversial" as a neck brace.

GuyB-Do you think NASCAR should have left the HANS device as a "personal choice?" Kyle Busch's crash (with three separate MAJOR impacts) Saturday night was crazy.....and he walked away from it! (emphasis on the walking part)
flarider
7/6/2009 8:06am
Trip wrote:
My crash, I landed head and shoulder first. Major bruising on the right top side of my head. Broken calvical, 4 broken ribs, and some internal...
The Rock wrote:
Were you wearing a chest protector? It would be a great start if racing required a chest protector with spinal protection....they are not as "controversial" as...
Were you wearing a chest protector?

It would be a great start if racing required a chest protector with spinal protection....they are not as "controversial" as a neck brace.

GuyB-Do you think NASCAR should have left the HANS device as a "personal choice?" Kyle Busch's crash (with three separate MAJOR impacts) Saturday night was crazy.....and he walked away from it! (emphasis on the walking part)
A HANS and the Leatt-style brace is NOT the same and DOES NOT work in the same manner.
Matter of fact, they each prevent completely different types of spinal/neck injuries.

Both might be apples, but two different types of apples
The Rock
7/6/2009 8:14am
flarider wrote:
A HANS and the Leatt-style brace is NOT the same and DOES NOT work in the same manner. Matter of fact, they each prevent completely different...
A HANS and the Leatt-style brace is NOT the same and DOES NOT work in the same manner.
Matter of fact, they each prevent completely different types of spinal/neck injuries.

Both might be apples, but two different types of apples
The issue I raised pertained to the personal choice aspect not the similarities/differences between a HANS and Leatt.
flarider
7/6/2009 8:34am
But it's not apples to apples.

The HANS has many independent studies backing up it's claim and effectiveness, as well as testing done by NASCAR and other racing bodies independently....lots and lots of independent data to back up the HANS, so much so that other similar products (knock offs) were proven less or ineffective and were banned.

There is NOTHING like that in regards to the Leatt-type of braces.
There is a lack of independent testing and data as well as testing and verification by the sanctioning bodies, matter of fact, to my knowledge, there is none.
There is also no federal standard or testing like there is with helmets.
Boots require little more than covering the ankle and other than goggles, all other gear has pretty much no limitations....can race in jeans and a long sleeve T if you wish (as long as AMA Pro and sponsor logos is on the T)

So how can you expect the AMA to mandate something when the entire rulebook in regards to rider wear is more specific about logo placement than the gear itself?
How can you expect them to mandate something they never tested or verified the mfg's testing?
"Because it looks like it should work?"

I'm not saying it doesn't work or help, but I am saying that there is a lack of independent data in regards to them and there is also evidence, circumstantial maybe, that they may actually create or exacerbate other or additional injuries
The Rock
7/6/2009 9:06am
So how can you expect the AMA to mandate something when the entire rulebook in regards to rider wear is more specific about logo placement than the gear itself?
How can you expect them to mandate something they never tested or verified the mfg's testing?

I don't expect anything particularly when it comes to a neck brace, I did post:

flarider
7/6/2009 9:28am
The Rock wrote:
[b]So how can you expect the AMA to mandate something when the entire rulebook in regards to rider wear is more specific about logo placement than...

I don't expect anything particularly when it comes to a neck brace, I did post:

chrisbuehler
7/6/2009 9:39am
As a matter of fact I wear a Leatt neck brace but no chest protector. Used to wear a chest protector when I was a kid I am 32 now and choose not to. Have had some nice getoffs recently too and the scapes probley wouldnt have been there if I was wearing one. But I am not crying about it or lecturing anyone its a personal preferance. On a side note the Leatt I was wearing and will continue to wear probley contributed to my recent broken collarbone.
The Rock
7/6/2009 10:08am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 12:46am
flarider wrote:
[i][b]So how can you expect the AMA to mandate something when the entire rulebook in regards to rider wear is more specific about logo placement than...
How can you expect me to just accept status quo?

Change usually doesn't occur without discussion but acceptance always accompanies complacency.

Post a reply to: why no neck brace?

The Latest