who's making money, the truth

line-up
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 7:32pm
http://www.mxlarge.com/interview/4067-pit-beirer-interview-bring-on-ame…

In the World Motocross Championship we have a lot of riders who make good money, but in America it is like the top riders make really good money, but the next level don’t make hardly any money. I would say the top five guys are making money in America.
|
mxb2
8/4/2010 8:49pm
I d say top ten in each class are doing decent! Top 5 def making some cash.
jeffro503
8/4/2010 8:56pm
The sliding pay scale in our sport sucks so bad , it's friggin' pathetic! You have guys like Stewart making 10 million , and guys that are getting next to nothing or breaking even in 8th-15th place at a national. If you get a 16th or less ( 16th is just an example ) you pretty much take a loss every friggin' weekend.

Not only are we forced to ride the overly priced 4 strokes to stay competitive ( which i'm in that group ) everyone from the sanctioning bodies to sponsors can't shell out enough money for a racer to make a living.

Just compare MX to what nascar drivers get.....it's crazy. God damn 35th place is a God Damn millionaire!
prozach
8/4/2010 9:14pm
16-18 year old kids making six figures is pretty good if you ask me. They could go to college for 4 years graduate at 23 and get a normal job making slightly over the median U.S. income for a single person of $40,000.

The Shop

Trip
8/4/2010 9:45pm Edited Date/Time 8/4/2010 9:45pm
BobbyM wrote:
how much does lugo make?
How much does DC make?
adamdf
8/4/2010 10:04pm
how come someone hasn't said "none of your business" yet? lol
jesspapp
8/4/2010 11:19pm
BobbyM wrote:
how much does lugo make?
Trip wrote:
How much does DC make?
they are banking ...whiie 15th thru 40th struggle with $$..very sad...been the same for ever my dad says..
Fat Fingers
8/4/2010 11:47pm
So if the top 10 in each class make good money, that sounds ok to me.

How much money does the 21st ranked american pro tennis, cyclist, iron man, surfer, ski/snowboarder, mountain biker make.

My guess is that they don't make a lot either but if they can improve by a few small %, then its pay day.
txrider44
8/5/2010 12:10am Edited Date/Time 8/5/2010 12:11am
So if the top 10 in each class make good money, that sounds ok to me. How much money does the 21st ranked american pro tennis...

How much money does the 21st ranked american pro tennis, cyclist, iron man, surfer, ski/snowboarder, mountain biker make.

My guess is that they don't make a lot either but if they can improve by a few small %, then its pay day.
The 21th ranked tennis player has made $644,000 in earnings in 2010. The 21st ranked golfer in the pga has made $1.8 million in earnings in 2010. The 21st ranked driver in nascar earned $4.3 million in earnings in 2009.
BobbyM
8/5/2010 12:21am
i don't know. why would you ask me?
Spinner
8/5/2010 12:33am
jesspapp wrote:
they are banking ...whiie 15th thru 40th struggle with $$..very sad...been the same for ever my dad says..
Guess its time they buy a newspaper, search the classifieds, and get a job.
MXER231
8/5/2010 8:17am
When I was growing up I always wanted to be a pro mxer. Well I made it but its not that great. Its fun and cool to go to Sx and outdoor national but its a loss. I can make more money racing local and teaching kids. Most guys have someone else footing the bill. I work a full time job and that with my dads help gets me to some races. It sucks to say im a "professional athlete" but have to work a normal job. Do you know that the monster girls were making more money during sx than most of the lites riders. Thats sad!
downandup
8/5/2010 8:54am
You need to ask "why" don't they make more?

The other sports all have, for want of a better word, "unions" that get them what they need; insurance, higher pay, etc....

If mx and sx want more coin, they are going to have to put their heads together and claim some of that gate money from the promoters!
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
8/5/2010 9:04am
So if the top 10 in each class make good money, that sounds ok to me. How much money does the 21st ranked american pro tennis...

Those guys have more opportunities for endorsement money. More people do those activities there are mx'ers.

I don't have a real problem with the different models used here and there. It seems pretty clear that Youthstream has shifted more financial risk to other parties.
moto314
8/5/2010 9:09am
Good thing this sport isn't about the money.
moto314
8/5/2010 9:09am
Good thing this sport isn't about the money.
8/5/2010 9:39am
jesspapp wrote:
Lots of money comes thru the gates then 75% goes to one place. The other 25% is split amongst lots and lots of people!
honda907
8/5/2010 9:41am
prozach wrote:
16-18 year old kids making six figures is pretty good if you ask me. They could go to college for 4 years graduate at 23 and...
16-18 year old kids making six figures is pretty good if you ask me. They could go to college for 4 years graduate at 23 and get a normal job making slightly over the median U.S. income for a single person of $40,000.
Just 'cause a 16 year old makes $150,000, don't think for a minute that is really great! After paying his insurance, medical, trainer(s), his gratuity to the mechanic(seriously!) and other expenses and taxes it is that great, The factories require you to even have insurance if you injure a spectator on their bike. You are your own corporation when you ride for the factories! It isn't "pie in the sky". I bet they are left with 50-60K. Good, but not that great, and that last maybe 3 years for the average rider. Then you have to get a real job!!

Plus in this economy, many are riding for less than that!!

I remember the Minister who did SXPrayer sessions at races for the pros years ago. I'll para phase what he said.

" You guys thing you have it made, and make some money to get to the next race. The chances of you making a million dollars is not likely. My son has a better chance of being a 3rd string professional NFL quarterback then you making it big and making a lot of money in SX.! Quarterbacks in the NFL all make 500K or more and they have like 70 quarterbacks! The point I am trying to make guys is be humble and ride safe. Remember, there is another life outside this stadium tonight!."

His point that I remembered was that stick and ball players make a lot more money. The chances of being a NFL football player making money is MUCH BETTER then any Pro MX rider making big money (big money is like 500K or more a year) . I think every football player makes (NFL anyhow) a minimum of 340,000 a year. I don't follow football, but what is their like 32 teams and they have like 80 players. Do the math. Odds are better to make it there than in MX.

I said my 2 cents worth!!!
8/5/2010 9:47am Edited Date/Time 8/5/2010 9:48am
prozach wrote:
16-18 year old kids making six figures is pretty good if you ask me. They could go to college for 4 years graduate at 23 and...
honda907 wrote:
Just 'cause a 16 year old makes $150,000, don't think for a minute that is really great! After paying his insurance, medical, trainer(s), his gratuity to...
Just 'cause a 16 year old makes $150,000, don't think for a minute that is really great! After paying his insurance, medical, trainer(s), his gratuity to the mechanic(seriously!) and other expenses and taxes it is that great, The factories require you to even have insurance if you injure a spectator on their bike. You are your own corporation when you ride for the factories! It isn't "pie in the sky". I bet they are left with 50-60K. Good, but not that great, and that last maybe 3 years for the average rider. Then you have to get a real job!!

Plus in this economy, many are riding for less than that!!

I remember the Minister who did SXPrayer sessions at races for the pros years ago. I'll para phase what he said.

" You guys thing you have it made, and make some money to get to the next race. The chances of you making a million dollars is not likely. My son has a better chance of being a 3rd string professional NFL quarterback then you making it big and making a lot of money in SX.! Quarterbacks in the NFL all make 500K or more and they have like 70 quarterbacks! The point I am trying to make guys is be humble and ride safe. Remember, there is another life outside this stadium tonight!."

His point that I remembered was that stick and ball players make a lot more money. The chances of being a NFL football player making money is MUCH BETTER then any Pro MX rider making big money (big money is like 500K or more a year) . I think every football player makes (NFL anyhow) a minimum of 340,000 a year. I don't follow football, but what is their like 32 teams and they have like 80 players. Do the math. Odds are better to make it there than in MX.

I said my 2 cents worth!!!
$50 - $60K as a 16 yr old is just good not great? WTF world do you live in? I made $2.25/hr as a 16 yr old. Why do a lot of ppl want to compare MX to stick and ball sports? MX is NEVER going to be on the same level as them. Your chance of making it in one of them is even smaller than MX. Look at the number of kids that play those sports compared to MX. Look at how many "jobs" there are for each.
honda907
8/5/2010 9:49am Edited Date/Time 8/5/2010 10:00am

txrider44 wrote:
The 21th ranked tennis player has made $644,000 in earnings in 2010. The 21st ranked golfer in the pga has made $1.8 million in earnings in...
The 21th ranked tennis player has made $644,000 in earnings in 2010. The 21st ranked golfer in the pga has made $1.8 million in earnings in 2010. The 21st ranked driver in nascar earned $4.3 million in earnings in 2009.
Thanks for sharing that!! Nascar driver in 21st makes 4.3 million? No wonder Jimmy Johnson quit MX to become a ROCK STAR in NASCAR!! I'd like to know what he makes?? 70 million? Some one said unions earlier.

No, I do not think that is great money for racing. For 16 year old who lives with mom and dad yes, but for a 23 year old on his own, no!!! The point in comparing the sports>everyone likes to compare J7S and TWO TWO to the other sports top figures, so lets compare 20th place to other 20th place sport figures.

Didn't James Eickle, or someone from Ohio try to start one and was basically blackballed during the 90's?
IntenseRider
8/5/2010 9:59am

txrider44 wrote:
The 21th ranked tennis player has made $644,000 in earnings in 2010. The 21st ranked golfer in the pga has made $1.8 million in earnings in...
I'm not sure it's fair to compare MX to football, baseball, tennis, etc. I think it's on the same level as some of the other "core" sports you mentioned though such as surfing, cycling, mtb, bmx, etc.

In any of those sports, I would think that the "21st ranked" competitor isn't making huge bank. If you look at professional MTB racing, the guys doing the contests/videos/demo's are making more than the guys that are primarily racing. Bottom line though, is that they have figured out that racing is not the key to survival, but rather doing these other types of events and marketing themselves (i.e., video appearances) to gain endorsement deals lets them do what they love for a living.

All of these are sports in which a very select few actually ever make millions. Most of the guys (and gals) are scraping by, but they are doing something they love and are enjoying their lives. To me, you can't hang a dollar value on that type of passion or willingness to live life.
Sanchez
8/5/2010 10:20am
txrider44 wrote:
Lesson is get yer kids tennis lessons or a set of clubs instead of a dirt-sickle that'll have their bodies trashed by 22 and leave both them and yerself broke.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4231st
8/5/2010 10:24am
With tennis and golf at least, the "earnings" in terms of winnings are not net income.
-eagle-
8/5/2010 10:33am
Sanchez wrote:
Lesson is get yer kids tennis lessons or a set of clubs instead of a dirt-sickle that'll have their bodies trashed by 22 and leave both...
Lesson is get yer kids tennis lessons or a set of clubs instead of a dirt-sickle that'll have their bodies trashed by 22 and leave both them and yerself broke.
Winner
8/5/2010 11:13am
Sanchez wrote:
Lesson is get yer kids tennis lessons or a set of clubs instead of a dirt-sickle that'll have their bodies trashed by 22 and leave both...
-eagle- wrote:
Winner
Do tennis players get on tennis message boards and say "don't play tennis"?
Jeez.
mxnick
8/5/2010 11:31am Edited Date/Time 8/5/2010 11:51am
Comparing MX to tennis or Nascar does not really work so well. Its like comparing a little bottle rocket to a nuclear bomb.

That said, here is an article about what the MotoGP boys make, which is only slightly more relevant.

http://www.gpone.com/...i-piloti-motogp.html

in digesting this info, it is important to take into account the amount of people watching the races in Europe on a regular basis, which is huge - almost to Nascar levels.

Most of the money in MX and SX as it pertains to rider salary's STILL comes from the very generous OEM's. With the OEM's sales being off by well over 50% from the 2006/7 highs, it is easy to understand why salaries have been dropping. Until companies come in and contract direct with riders for big numbers (like Dungey with Target), OEM's will hold the cards and control who makes good money. I think everyone in the sport is working towards growing this, but it takes time and lots of work.

8/5/2010 11:35am
Sanchez wrote:
-eagle- wrote:
Winner
Do tennis players get on tennis message boards and say "don't play tennis"?
Jeez.
All the time. Ever heard of tennis elbow? That shit is for real and hurts a lot.
casedit
8/5/2010 11:45am
Look at Nick Wey - got a pretty nice career going... good dude, has a couple of flashes of speed - but for the most part is happy to be top 10 and he makes decent coin - watch the vids of him at his house.

Money will only get better as exposure grows (as it is). Problem is not so much the odds of making money, but the odds of being fast, safe, tough, smart, etc.. all wrapped up into what makes a champion are what is low.
BLAHBLAH
8/5/2010 11:52am Edited Date/Time 8/5/2010 11:53am
I personnaly think there is a huge bit of irony in this thread....

A lot of MX fan's want to keep the sport "core," and then in the same breath bitch about the amount of money the 15th place rider recieves. Half of the people on this thread bitch and complain about changes that professional mx and sx have made the last couple years, just for example Saturday Nationals. In order to grow this sport to the point where everyone that qualifies to race is bringing home some type of salary the sport needs to go mainstram.

A choice needs to be made, keep the sport "core" and poor, or mainsteam for money.

On another note every single pro that lines up on the gate knows about how much they will get paid for their finish. They choose to do it and go ahead and race. Families dedicate their lives to try and make junior a rich champion knowing that very few people in this sport make it big time.

Post a reply to: who's making money, the truth

The Latest