which ONE moment in moto, can u never forget?

12/28/2014 10:05am
i remember watching the world mini's, it was somewhere in europe (cant remember where) in like 2000. Anyway, bubba was there on his 100 Kawi, and he got beat by Kevin Strijbos.

it was muddy, granted, but until that day i thought nobody could beat James.
12/28/2014 10:43am
sende wrote:
I will never forget for the first time I saw live how fast Albertyn, Everts, Schmit etc.. actually were. Vantaa, Finland 1993.
You must have seen a young Fred Bolley on a 250 YZ that day too. He was up front for the very first time in this category.
12/28/2014 11:49am
i remember watching the world mini's, it was somewhere in europe (cant remember where) in like 2000. Anyway, bubba was there on his 100 Kawi, and...
i remember watching the world mini's, it was somewhere in europe (cant remember where) in like 2000. Anyway, bubba was there on his 100 Kawi, and he got beat by Kevin Strijbos.

Was that in germany gaildorf?

The Shop

12/28/2014 11:50am
One of my best moments was travis pastrana jumping over stephen roncada on the down hill drop off at the mx des nations
brimx153
12/28/2014 12:06pm
i remember watching the world mini's, it was somewhere in europe (cant remember where) in like 2000. Anyway, bubba was there on his 100 Kawi, and...

deegan711 wrote:
Was that in germany gaildorf?
yep
Wahtash
12/28/2014 12:44pm Edited Date/Time 12/28/2014 12:46pm
July 4, 1976 High Point Raceway
Keyser’s Ridge, MD

I was 12 years old and was given the awesome responsibility to be a yellow flagger at a National race. I was placed on a deserted area of the track that had a series of slow switchback turns before some wide open downhill’s and sweepers before the finish line.

At the end of day with little action in the way of flagging (it was a slow speed section of the track) I was admiring Steve Wise’s commanding lead of the second moto of the 125 class. As the laps were winding down, Marty Smith was reeling Wise in and was on his rear wheel on the next to last time they would pass me.

Being the diligent safety worker, I didn’t pay too much attention to the leaders as they completed the last circuit of the “one and done” National layout. As the two came into my view, it was apparent that this was going to be a battle to the checkered flag. Coming to “my” turn (a right hander, almost a 180, and with an oddly placed, abnormally high chain link fence to the outside of the corner) factory Honda rider Smith blitzed the outside of the slow corner as privateer Wise seemed to be protecting his lead with a lower than normal entry.

Rather than crossing over, and cutting under Wise on the exit of the corner, Smith stayed wide and pulled even with Wise on the exit. Neither rider budged, both using all 125cc’s on the corner exit, causing Wise to drift into Smith and “hip checking” him into the chain link fence. Smith stayed upright but lost too much momentum to apply anymore pressure to Steve Wise as he went on to win.

There are no pictures to my knowledge…there wasn’t anyone even close to that section of the track other than me, and there seemed to be no reason for that section of fence. It was the most bored I had ever been at a National, until then.
MXerDW
12/28/2014 1:59pm
That magic day Marty Moates won Carlsbad

12/28/2014 3:31pm
St Louis 1996 - Back than I didn't like MC I wanted anyone to beat him and through that became huge fans of the Rock and Emig. So that race I will never ever forget. However now these days that race pisses me off and I wish MC won it. I didn't appreciate MC at the time. The guy was one of a kind.

Chadapult 2011 - I think my Gf at the time said I was more bummed for him than he was. I couldn't believe it.

Chads first win this year, was the first moment I jumped out of my seat screaming. Now my 8 y/o watches the races with me and he likes Dungey and Chad. The last lap we were both giddy like school girls and he crossed the line and we jumped up screaming. For the first time I thought he was done. Was a huge surprise.

I have only been following the sport since 1995 though. Have rewatched old races, but it isn't as exciting as at the time.
DirtDgr
12/28/2014 4:30pm Edited Date/Time 12/28/2014 4:55pm
I was there when Damon Bradshaw got stuck in the gate at San Jose SX and passes all but one rider, Doug Dubach, who barely got the win by inches, Doug's only win. Was hoping for a Cooper win though! One of the craziest races of all time imo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZOas3_svVQ

That and Hangtown 91.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sf-llC9vlvU

But there are so many others!

Watching those makes me miss when riders actually earned their number every year! Bad moment when that changed.
12/28/2014 5:18pm
Seeing bubba land on carmichael at unadilla in '07. I remember thinking to myself right before it happened- "man they are really.close to eachother, they are gonna run into eachother"

and it was from that day on i realized i had super powers.
Holigan
12/28/2014 5:44pm
1983 at the Lake Whitney National. There is a big berm that everyone is using in the middle of the huge right hand sweeper. Magoo flattracks around the outside of the berm on the Honda 500, pinned and totally sideways, and takes out all of the stakes and track ribbon. Rear tire missed our feet by maybe two inches. Never let off the throttle and probably passed five guys on the outside of that one corner.
12/28/2014 6:53pm
rippaaa wrote:
James stewart 2014 toronto SX
A special moment for sure. Was that his 50th win?

I might pick his MEC battle with RV, though. That scrub + squirting up the inside was soooo slick. Damn I wish they'd finished that race. Another lap like that would've been incredible.

Watching Canard's 2010 title run was special, too. It was the first time someone I was emotionally invested in was winning (I didn't care too much for JS at that juncture), so I probably got extra hooked on moto watching that series.
The Rock
12/28/2014 8:25pm Edited Date/Time 12/28/2014 8:29pm
DirtDgr wrote:
I was there when Damon Bradshaw got stuck in the gate at San Jose SX and passes all but one rider, Doug Dubach, who barely got...
I was there when Damon Bradshaw got stuck in the gate at San Jose SX and passes all but one rider, Doug Dubach, who barely got the win by inches, Doug's only win. Was hoping for a Cooper win though! One of the craziest races of all time imo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZOas3_svVQ

That and Hangtown 91.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sf-llC9vlvU

But there are so many others!

Watching those makes me miss when riders actually earned their number every year! Bad moment when that changed.
I was at San Jose and if it is the same race my recollection is Chicken and Damon took each other out. Don't have time to watch video at the moment. San Jose was also the only SX that it was harder to leave the pits than leave due to some real A hole security personnel.

I care more about safety issues being perpetually ignored than I do about the number system.
Outsider
12/28/2014 8:49pm
RV in his pro debut at GH in 05, RC and James batting at GH in '06 I think.

San Deigo SX in 01

Doug Henry on his smoking YZM400
visser62
12/28/2014 10:26pm
For me it was Seattle 2008 when Windham was leading and a banner got stuck in his rear wheel. Came back and passed Millsap and Short to retake the lead and won. The most satisfying race I've seen in person.
robkinuk
12/29/2014 2:58am
I have seen James ride many times and however much Stewart fans try to "sugar coat" it, he had nothing fo Everts that day. Everts, a 10 time World Champion was riding his last ever race and went out on a high!
James should just have manned up, admitted he was beaten by a better rider, instead of trying to come up with a list of excuses......
ayearinmx
12/29/2014 4:06am
Driving overnight with my mates for my first ever motocross race and seeing this... Ernee MXoN 2005..... awesome race and the reason i got hooked into mx

Driving the entire 2007 outdoor season..... BT vs RV for 24 motos, RC still able to beat Bubba then riding off into the sunset, Bubba getting injured at Unadilla throwing the season completely wide open and Grant Langston taking the win. Plus making all the friends that I have now

Seeing Jeffrey Herlings lap Max Anstie who was in third place during a Lierop GP in perfect weather conditions

Finally finding the motocross track in Ulaan Baatar, Mongolia

there's probably a few more memories that I can't think of right now...

Bearuno
12/29/2014 4:21am Edited Date/Time 12/29/2014 4:27am
For me, it was a race at Oran park in I think, 1972 - it could have been '73.

I'd grown up in a racing family, bikes were part of my blood from the get go. Crawling, then running around my Dads and Uncles race / workshop, playing with bike bits and spanners.

I was pretty well versed in Motorcycle racing then, knowing who the World Champions were, and having traveled to many, many bikes races.

Roger Decoster, Joel Robert, Adolf Weil, Willi Bauer, Bengt Aberg and a bunch of Poms, were over for some races. My mom was being a royal bitch at the time, trying to break Dads influence on us kids, and she was pushing the whole Sunday School line of BS on us.

So we weren't allowed to go. Dad had other ideas, so we all were dressed up in our sunday best, and were supposed to be going off to church............ Not Fucking Likely! Strange that we blokes had to go, but mom didn't........

Dad pointed the car to Oran Park, we peeled off our good clobber, and changed into 'runamoke' gear. It had pissed down, the track start was downhill, at right angles to the main (Road Race circuit) straight, with a jump just before the first turn - a right hander, I think. It was carnage, but RD and the other Euro's were looking like JC walking on water.

It was the best day ever - we got home burnt to a crisp, covered in mud, with the biggest smiles on our dials. Can't recall the explanation given to mum, but the parents broke up soon after. That, was a good thing, for all of us. I spoke to Roger Decoster at the 98 MGM Grand race, in the pits, and we had a natter about that day. I think it was 26 years later, and he remembered quite a bit about the race meeting, which I think he dominated - how he remembered, I don't know, with all of his years of racing / massive events.

I think that day really instilled in me my passion for MX.

I've since gone to many GPs, and MXDNs, plus many internationals in Europe, and SX and MX in the states - I think that day was the start of all of that. Best thing to happen to me - seriously folks, pull your bloody finger out, and get to as many overseas races as you can. There's a big wide world out there, and your local / national racing, wherever you are, is just the tip of the iceberg.

TannerMxer
12/29/2014 7:31am
TeamGreen wrote:
As a Spectator...RV -CRUSHING THE WORLD...

On his 250.
Tim507 wrote:
I was there.... awesome just plain awesome!!!!
I was there as well. I just remember keeping a stopwatch for his gap leading every lap and it was 2-3 seconds every lap. My jaw was practically on the Maryland grass because of what I was witnessing.

The other in-person moment for me was Washougal 2003 when James Stewart started in like 10th. My Dad and I were sitting right at the S-turn at the bottom of the hills before the Chuck Sun tabletop (RIP). Stewie comes railing around and then procedes to wheelie over a single all the way to the Chuck Sun table and then scrubs the shit out of it to barely get 2 feet off the ground. Shit was seriously one of the most legit things. Well, that and the quad I witnessed in person in Vegas '03 before he wadded himself.

2:22 in the video below. The move made Bailey stop and just say "ooohhh".
https://youtu.be/bAT8-_MEbDg
TailSoHard
12/29/2014 10:46am
JW381 wrote:
Yeah not really sure how or why this made it in here but whatever. Glad the kid was "okay".
I was at that race also, but was on the start straight at the top of the hill, so we only heard the crowd's reaction (almost everyone there went silent after it happened, kinds unnerving to hear 50,000 cheering fans all go silent).

I remember that day well because Nick Wey came around the first lap before the black flag in 2nd place behind Stew (my two favorite riders at the time, so it was cool to see them 1-2 for a split second)
TailSoHard
12/29/2014 10:55am
TailSoHard wrote:
My top racing memory would have to be JS battling RC at Red Bud in 2007 (I believe). They were on a level of their own...
My top racing memory would have to be JS battling RC at Red Bud in 2007 (I believe). They were on a level of their own that day and battled from start to finish until they got too close in one of the last corners and JS got stuck in a rut and went over the bars. It happened right in front of me and then I see the photo in the next month's magazines... it was awesome.

The other one would be watching Stew come back to beat Chad Reed at the Indianapolis Supercross in 2009-ish. I got a photo of Chad on one of the jumps from the stands, and then the next month's Dirt Rider magazine had the same photo from the same jump, but taken from the infield. If you looked close, you could see me in the stands taking the same damn photo from the other side, lol. I'll see if I can find the photos tonight haha
bigborefan wrote:
I was right there as well. I bet we were standing next to each other. Small world and one hell of a race. RC just refused...
I was right there as well. I bet we were standing next to each other.

Small world and one hell of a race. RC just refused to lose that day. He got lucky, but he plugged away at James all day.
Haha that's funny, I would have been the drunk idiot yelling "REEEDD BUUUDDD"... oh wait that's 90% of the people there lol

Lots of good times at Red Bud, can't wait to go there this season. Luckily the 4th is on a Saturday (got the day off work by default!) so I'll get to make a weekend out of it this year.

I think that was the same year that RV and Townley were both racing Pro-Circuit Kawi 250s. I had never seen anyone abuse a bike as much as those two did. They were bouncing off the rev-limiter for literally 75% of that race, flat out pinned neck n neck the whole time. That was ALMOST as cool as watching Stew float that bike around
philG
12/29/2014 11:55am
ayearinmx wrote:
Driving overnight with my mates for my first ever motocross race and seeing this... Ernee MXoN 2005..... awesome race and the reason i got hooked into...
Driving overnight with my mates for my first ever motocross race and seeing this... Ernee MXoN 2005..... awesome race and the reason i got hooked into mx

Driving the entire 2007 outdoor season..... BT vs RV for 24 motos, RC still able to beat Bubba then riding off into the sunset, Bubba getting injured at Unadilla throwing the season completely wide open and Grant Langston taking the win. Plus making all the friends that I have now

Seeing Jeffrey Herlings lap Max Anstie who was in third place during a Lierop GP in perfect weather conditions

Finally finding the motocross track in Ulaan Baatar, Mongolia

there's probably a few more memories that I can't think of right now...

I was lucky enough to be in Lierop to see that , had a race get cancelled on the wednesday night, we booked the ferry and went thursday , camped in a tent , and witnessed one of the most dvastating rides i have ever seen,.
Bear in mind i was there to see Dave Thorpe's last to lead at Farleigh , and Jobe's leap over Malherbe to not pick those was hard.

My own personal highlight was watching moto2 at St Jean MXoN with GB leading after race 1 and Georges Jobe sneaking under my umbrella as the rain fell, just watching the race like a fan... i never got a picture because i would rather enjoy the moment than ruin it trying to capture it , dont regret it for a minute.
12/30/2014 6:41am
My first SX race - Atlanta '86. Got to see all my faves at the time...RJ, Ward, Hannah. Freakin' fantastic.

1990 Atlanta SX - Incredible race. Seeing Wardy so pumped at the win was inspiring.

2011 Atlanta SX - Me and 60,000 other fans screaming and standing the entire race. Loved it.

Post a reply to: which ONE moment in moto, can u never forget?

The Latest