when will someone try to qualify on an ALTA

JHForman
Edited Date/Time 3/2/2018 8:13am
speculation as to when we see someone attempt to qualify? whats everyones thoughts? will it only be able to run in the 250 class? lets hear your thoughts. I have really been wanting to try one of these out and would consider buying one if I liked it.
|
USA
Fantasy
428th
3/1/2018 3:35pm
If I had to guess, I’d say probably sometime in 2020. It will be electrifying
JHForman
3/1/2018 3:37pm
Well it would need to be homologated first, so I have no idea.
you would think they would already be working on this, or have the groundwork laid. A lot of the magazines are pushing/promoting these electric bikes now.
8tensolutions
3/1/2018 3:39pm
It isn't a homologation issue. The AMA has not approved them for any specific class yet.

The Shop

Dropbear
3/1/2018 3:45pm
it will have to be a separate class, like IOM. It's early days.
JHForman
3/1/2018 3:49pm
Dropbear wrote:
I doubt they would ever get a full gate to make it a separate class(not for a long time), so they would need to let someone try to qualify and show it can be competitive. Im still waiting for the other manufacturers to show they have one also(which I believe they are all working on one).
Dropbear
3/1/2018 3:53pm
Dropbear wrote:
JHForman wrote:
I doubt they would ever get a full gate to make it a separate class(not for a long time), so they would need to let someone...
I doubt they would ever get a full gate to make it a separate class(not for a long time), so they would need to let someone try to qualify and show it can be competitive. Im still waiting for the other manufacturers to show they have one also(which I believe they are all working on one).
I think it will have to be a separate deal, at the outdoor Nationals (a couple of rounds initially) where it is a experimental type of thing, albeit with small fields and few manufacturers.

IOM ZeroTT went from 86mph average laps to 119mph laps in the space of about 10 years.
Johnny Depp
3/1/2018 3:54pm
It seems like we came very close to seeing Mookie on one at the MEC. There is no other race they are legal for.

If the AMA doesn't let them in, they are begging for a pirate series to start up that will welcome them along with gassers 2t and 4t.
aeffertz
3/1/2018 3:57pm
It seems like we came very close to seeing Mookie on one at the MEC. There is no other race they are legal for. If the...
It seems like we came very close to seeing Mookie on one at the MEC. There is no other race they are legal for.

If the AMA doesn't let them in, they are begging for a pirate series to start up that will welcome them along with gassers 2t and 4t.
And what big names are going to race that series?
731chopper
Fantasy
442nd
3/1/2018 4:05pm
aeffertz wrote:
And what big names are going to race that series?
Captain Hook, One-eyed Bart, Jake, etc.
3/1/2018 4:06pm
In what series? I mean it doesn't even really qualify for any major MX event.
mwssquad827
3/1/2018 4:07pm
USA wrote:
If I had to guess, I’d say probably sometime in 2020. It will be electrifying
Hahahaha
3/1/2018 4:08pm
It seems like we came very close to seeing Mookie on one at the MEC. There is no other race they are legal for. If the...

The AMA has been begging for a rival series forever. Pretty disappointing that one hasn’t materialized.

Ultimately it’s impossible to get mfg support without legitimate sanctioning.

In a perfect world the FIM & AMA would see the need for this tech and open doors for it to race. Until a Japanese brand enters this market space, electrics will be boxed out.

Maybe RedBull can start a series? With 4 mfgs it would at least appear legitimate...

Alta
HD branded Altas
KTM
Husky branded KTMs

GuyB
Fantasy
988th
3/1/2018 4:10pm
I'm not sure that's the goal at the moment.
3/1/2018 4:10pm
What about local non-AMA sanctioned races? Anyone tried lining up there?

Promoters aint gonna turn the entry fee away.

Consumers are gonna have to lead the way on this.
newmann
3/1/2018 4:13pm Edited Date/Time 3/1/2018 4:13pm
JHForman wrote:
speculation as to when we see someone attempt to qualify? whats everyones thoughts? will it only be able to run in the 250 class? lets hear...
speculation as to when we see someone attempt to qualify? whats everyones thoughts? will it only be able to run in the 250 class? lets hear your thoughts. I have really been wanting to try one of these out and would consider buying one if I liked it.
Considering the current 250 class is really the 125 class it would only make sense for the AMA (yes that AMA not the other AMA) go homo over 110 ft pounds of torque for the 250 class.

Kids need this coming off of 85’s.
Johnny Depp
3/1/2018 4:18pm Edited Date/Time 3/1/2018 4:18pm
GuyB wrote:
IIRC, the pre MEC testing didn't work out at pro level for long enough on the battery? They may not be ready just yet. We'll see how it goes in Endurocross this year with Ty Tremaine.

OK, save the fuel for the torches.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
3/1/2018 4:21pm
GuyB wrote:
IIRC, the pre MEC testing didn't work out at pro level for long enough on the battery? They may not be ready just yet. We'll see...
IIRC, the pre MEC testing didn't work out at pro level for long enough on the battery? They may not be ready just yet. We'll see how it goes in Endurocross this year with Ty Tremaine.

ML has talked with them more than I have. Currently they can focus on one-off events where they can actually participate (Straight Rhythm, Geneva, etc.), and not have to fight the power...or wait for rules to be developed.
3/1/2018 4:24pm Edited Date/Time 3/1/2018 4:24pm
newmann wrote:
Considering the current 250 class is really the 125 class it would only make sense for the AMA (yes that AMA not the other AMA) go...
Considering the current 250 class is really the 125 class it would only make sense for the AMA (yes that AMA not the other AMA) go homo over 110 ft pounds of torque for the 250 class.

Kids need this coming off of 85’s.
If Alta ever makes a 125 equivalent, I hope they size it’s chassis somewhere in between a 85 and 250f.

Ive never understood why mfgs made the jump from 85 to 250cc so massive. From 50 to 65 to 85 to 150f it’s all scaled and then a teenager is thrown on a bike the same dimensions as a 450. Doesn’t make sense.
ML512
Fantasy
45th
3/1/2018 4:26pm
GuyB wrote:
IIRC, the pre MEC testing didn't work out at pro level for long enough on the battery? They may not be ready just yet. We'll see...

They can easily make it through a Supercross main event on riding time.
KennyT
Fantasy
280th
3/1/2018 4:34pm
I’m sure these bikes will be dominate in the near future

I made it through the nasty grumpy sound but once it’s silent worg 20-40 rider fields heading into the first turn I think I’ll be done. Tried watching electric car racing and it’s unwatcgable
mark911
3/1/2018 4:34pm
What about local non-AMA sanctioned races? Anyone tried lining up there? Promoters aint gonna turn the entry fee away. Consumers are gonna have to lead the...

At the Mammoth qualifier at Milestone last weekend. Matt Cerami#140 going against the best SoCal A riders like Derek Drake on the 17 Redshift MX. We're practically the only one's racing the Alta in SoCal MX competition. There's lots of "Free Ride" stuff going on but not much moto. If you want to see more moto and less free ride make sure Alta knows you want to see the bike in competition.

Charper732
3/1/2018 4:36pm
I would think the obvious answer would be a entry into arenacross first. Most likely with the 250 class
JHForman
3/1/2018 4:46pm

I guess I'm behind, didn't know Yamaha was working on one.
Johnny Depp
3/1/2018 4:48pm
GuyB wrote:

ML512 wrote:
They can easily make it through a Supercross main event on riding time.
Ok then, time to light the torches and head to Ohio.
Johnny Depp
3/1/2018 4:50pm
What about local non-AMA sanctioned races? Anyone tried lining up there? Promoters aint gonna turn the entry fee away. Consumers are gonna have to lead the...

mark911 wrote:
At the Mammoth qualifier at Milestone last weekend. Matt Cerami#140 going against the best SoCal A riders like Derek Drake on the 17 Redshift MX. We're...
At the Mammoth qualifier at Milestone last weekend. Matt Cerami#140 going against the best SoCal A riders like Derek Drake on the 17 Redshift MX. We're practically the only one's racing the Alta in SoCal MX competition. There's lots of "Free Ride" stuff going on but not much moto. If you want to see more moto and less free ride make sure Alta knows you want to see the bike in competition.

It sounds like you are backing him. Awesome if so? Keep us posted, more please.
Johnny Depp
3/1/2018 4:51pm
JHForman wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2018/03/01/246809/s1200_yamaha_ped1_profile600x400.jpg[/img] I guess I'm behind, didn't know Yamaha was working on one.

I guess I'm behind, didn't know Yamaha was working on one.
That looks like the baja battery Shocked
Doddy
3/1/2018 4:58pm
I feel like we will be watching history repeat itself starting in a few years. Alta will make one for the "premier" class and finish before the factories of now. Then another Doug Henry will come along with a bike from ____ (I'd put my money on blue..) and win. Once it wins one.....

Post a reply to: when will someone try to qualify on an ALTA

The Latest