what rc twittered regarding his son...

zippy895
12/25/2011 8:12pm Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 10:50am
My little guy wants a motorcycle from Santa.. Cant bring myself to making that happen.. Don't think he's ready and honestly it scares me.
|
zippy895
12/25/2011 8:16pm
the goats reign looks like it has come to an end.Sad
skidsteer16
12/25/2011 8:20pm
maybe he can get him a little go-kart that only turns left...
zippy895
12/25/2011 8:34pm
thats not even funnyShocked

The Shop

bullpen58
12/25/2011 9:13pm
zippy895 wrote:
the goats reign looks like it has come to an end.Sad
I think you jumped and got caught in the gate bro. I wouldn't rule out a future Mini-GOAT just yet.

MC didn't start racing until he was like 38 or something. Not everyone starts at 2 years old.
The Universe
12/25/2011 9:45pm
It sounds like all accounts point to one thing that motivated The GOAT: fear. Fear of his mom, fear of being beat, and fear of not being good enough. It's what made a pudgy kid the most physically fit man in the circuit . He loves his kids, and I respect him for not wanting to bring them into the sport. The only caution to him would be that what motivated him might not be what motivates his kids.
MotoChief
12/26/2011 6:24am
zippy895 wrote:
thats not even funnyShocked
It's a little funny.
WhKnuckle
12/26/2011 7:18am
I notice that former pros are a lot smarter when their kids want to race than former wanna-be's. I remember Rick Johnson talking about his kids' riding; "To tell you the truth, if my kids decided one day that they didn't want to do this any more, the only thing it would mean to me is that I'd have a lot more room in my garage."

Former pros know the sacrifices and suffering that the rest of us don't. Good for them when they're hesitant to push their kids out there.
captmoto
12/26/2011 7:53am
The kid would live with the obvious comparisons too if he ever left his back yard to race.
Ramrod
Fantasy
1880th
12/26/2011 8:00am
It sounds like all accounts point to one thing that motivated The GOAT: fear. Fear of his mom, fear of being beat, and fear of not...
It sounds like all accounts point to one thing that motivated The GOAT: fear. Fear of his mom, fear of being beat, and fear of not being good enough. It's what made a pudgy kid the most physically fit man in the circuit . He loves his kids, and I respect him for not wanting to bring them into the sport. The only caution to him would be that what motivated him might not be what motivates his kids.
Way to read into things there.
JW381
12/26/2011 8:07am
It sounds like all accounts point to one thing that motivated The GOAT: fear. Fear of his mom, fear of being beat, and fear of not...
Ramrod wrote:
Way to read into things there.
It all makes sense now.
CamP
12/26/2011 8:26am
WhKnuckle wrote:
I notice that former pros are a lot smarter when their kids want to race than former wanna-be's. I remember Rick Johnson talking about his kids'...
I notice that former pros are a lot smarter when their kids want to race than former wanna-be's. I remember Rick Johnson talking about his kids' riding; "To tell you the truth, if my kids decided one day that they didn't want to do this any more, the only thing it would mean to me is that I'd have a lot more room in my garage."

Former pros know the sacrifices and suffering that the rest of us don't. Good for them when they're hesitant to push their kids out there.
That's a problem with the sport. Over the years, it's continually gotten more and more dangerous. The result is fewer and fewer parents that are willing to let their kids participate. That is illustrated most when former professional racers don't want their own kids racing.

Motocross ridership will continue to shrink unless the sport de-evolves and becomes safer.
MotoChief
12/26/2011 8:29am
Having been in the sport for as long as he has, he has seen more than his share of injuries and deaths, and as a father that must have him scared shitless.
12/26/2011 9:21am
john dowd did not start racing until he was old enough to drive himself to the track. 16. his parents wouldnt do it. he took mike craigs factory yamaha from him at 29. didnt dowd get one regional sx and one outdoor title?
Tumblin
12/26/2011 9:23am
I had struggled with bringing my own son into the sport. I wanted him to experience the same passion for the sport that I have, honestly no other sport holds up to it IMHO...but soo many sacrifices also can consume one and cripple you. I'd also hoped I would have a riding buddy that would get me out more. He was 8 when he got his first xr70, a ttr125 later and now has a YZ125. I dont have those fears anymore (he's 17), although I also dont have that riding buddy... he just never caught it(?).
But man is it cool having that pea shooter on a stand next to that 450, waiting for dad to wring it's neck off!
ATKpilot99
12/26/2011 9:23am
john dowd did not start racing until he was old enough to drive himself to the track. 16. his parents wouldnt do it. he took mike...
john dowd did not start racing until he was old enough to drive himself to the track. 16. his parents wouldnt do it. he took mike craigs factory yamaha from him at 29. didnt dowd get one regional sx and one outdoor title?
Regional SX yes but not an outdoor title. He did finish second in 250 outdoors twice and I believe second in the 125 outdoors one year also.
Huckster
12/26/2011 9:28am
it's amazing how it works. We ride and usually do not have that fear or worry but as soon as you start watching your son start to rip, it rears its ugly head. It is the lack of control thing that gets me. I know what I can and can't do on a motorcycle and I know when I am on it I am usually within my limits but you do not have that when you are watching your child. The thing is for me its really not that much different watching him play football or hockey now. I guess we can all now understand how our parents felt.....funny how smart your mom and dad were when you start to look back....
12/26/2011 9:33am
I know a guy who used to have to literally take anti-anxiety meds and sit inside his trailer during his son's moto.
Cook441
12/26/2011 9:41am
zippy895 wrote:
My little guy wants a motorcycle from Santa.. Cant bring myself to making that happen.. Don't think he's ready and honestly it scares me.
Thats a parent talking and not a racer....good for him on him for making the division-
level
12/26/2011 9:52am
I would struggle with it also if I had a son. I have a 1 year old daughter. It's a dangerous sport. You don't want them to get hurt.
12/26/2011 10:09am
Sounds like Ricky is being a responsible, conscientious parent. My kid will be starting out on one of these... Oset electric trials bike.

TeamGreen
12/26/2011 10:34am
zippy895 wrote:
I think he's jus' bein' smart. Mine's not riding anything with a motor in it 'til she can do wheelies and stopies on her bike.

That's the deal we made and I'm stickin' to it.
Suns_PSD
12/26/2011 10:54am Edited Date/Time 12/26/2011 10:56am
A few years ago I was dead set on steering my future kid towards a career as a roadracer. I had a tremendous amount of natural talent RRing, but nothing else and I dreamed of giving him, what I had always wanted so, so, so badly. Opportunity.

I have a girl now arriving in March. She will learn to ride trailbikes, and I hope that is all. Riding can still be a great family activity where she gets some life perspective, excitement, and exercise. So many injuries over the years has effected my perspective.

If she wants to race somethng, we'll get some carts. Car racing pays 1,000,000X what a female MXer makes anyways and their career is 5x longer.

So I can relate to what RC is saying, except, he is RC. He has all of the tools, $, knowledge, to make a young man have a career that so many dream of.
TeamGreen
12/26/2011 11:03am
Suns_PSD wrote:
A few years ago I was dead set on steering my future kid towards a career as a roadracer. I had a tremendous amount of natural...
A few years ago I was dead set on steering my future kid towards a career as a roadracer. I had a tremendous amount of natural talent RRing, but nothing else and I dreamed of giving him, what I had always wanted so, so, so badly. Opportunity.

I have a girl now arriving in March. She will learn to ride trailbikes, and I hope that is all. Riding can still be a great family activity where she gets some life perspective, excitement, and exercise. So many injuries over the years has effected my perspective.

If she wants to race somethng, we'll get some carts. Car racing pays 1,000,000X what a female MXer makes anyways and their career is 5x longer.

So I can relate to what RC is saying, except, he is RC. He has all of the tools, $, knowledge, to make a young man have a career that so many dream of.
Mine's gettin' the lil' Razr for her Brthday in May and we're gonna go play on the Beach in Baja...that's my idea of gettin' her "Racing Legs" and NOT gettin' a bunch of broken bones. She can worry about Moto'n when she delivers on her bicycle skills...

I like the way your thinkin'; but, you'll probably end up w/ a kid that want to race SX or do Filps...it's jus' how "Moto-Luck" works.
MR. X
12/26/2011 11:09am
Maybe its like the crusty ol steel worker that busted his hump to provide for his family so his kids dont have to type of thinking , i could respect a man for that .
12/26/2011 11:12am Edited Date/Time 12/26/2011 11:14am
I can definitely understand the feelings of apprehension.
I just got my son a CRF-50 for his birthday. He wanted one sooo bad, and I really do want him to ride.
He has been riding laps around my yard almost every day since he got it 2 weeks ago. He loves it so far- I just don't want him to be obsessed with it the way I always was. He still is interested in the usual kids stuff (toy trucks,baseball,video games,etc)
bullpen58
12/26/2011 11:12am
Suns_PSD wrote:
A few years ago I was dead set on steering my future kid towards a career as a roadracer. I had a tremendous amount of natural...

No amount of money, tools, knowledge, etc. can "make" a kid into the next RC. It requires all those things, true, but even when given every opportunity to suceed, most will not. Sorry, just sayin.

I have thought of this topic many, many times. I love motocross because many of my fondest memories are of riding in the hills with my Dad. However, many of the darkest moments in my family's history are directly related to motorcycles. I think that if I were ever a father, I would do my best to support my kid in whatever he or she chose to do....even (heaven forbid) golf. I would have to suck it up and buy some plaid pants, goofy shoes, and put on a fake smile whilst wandering through various beautiful park-like atmospheres looking for a little white ball, if that was the sport/activity my son or daughter chose to pursue.

I think if that happened, I would walk away from mx really easily. Well, maybe not. LOL
12/26/2011 11:12am
of course hes gonna be scared. what parent wouldnt be? i say he will ride someday. he said hes not ready. maybe next year he will be ready. anyone know how old he is? tate will be riding in the next year or 2. id put money on it. and cant wait to see kdubs kid tear it up soon.
WhKnuckle
12/26/2011 11:15am
My son had no interest in motorcycles at all until he turned 10. Then he rode an XR80 and a YX85, then a YZ125 before he really got interested in riding at any kind of pace. Now he's 18 and he's on a YZ250, and he's starting to go faster on a MX track (he's always been fast in the woods, I can't keep up with him out there). By most amateur standards, he's way, way too late for the sport. But if he's still enjoying it when he's 50, I'll call that a good career. And some of the best times we've ever had together have been at the racetrack - a father-son chat out there becomes a talk between peers in a lot of ways, and we can talk about things he wouldn't want to talk about at home.

So it's a great family sport - IF the family sport is just that, and not some kind of career or compensation for what Dad didn't do when he was younger.
bullpen58
12/26/2011 11:18am
WhKnuckle wrote:
My son had no interest in motorcycles at all until he turned 10. Then he rode an XR80 and a YX85, then a YZ125 before he...
My son had no interest in motorcycles at all until he turned 10. Then he rode an XR80 and a YX85, then a YZ125 before he really got interested in riding at any kind of pace. Now he's 18 and he's on a YZ250, and he's starting to go faster on a MX track (he's always been fast in the woods, I can't keep up with him out there). By most amateur standards, he's way, way too late for the sport. But if he's still enjoying it when he's 50, I'll call that a good career. And some of the best times we've ever had together have been at the racetrack - a father-son chat out there becomes a talk between peers in a lot of ways, and we can talk about things he wouldn't want to talk about at home.

So it's a great family sport - IF the family sport is just that, and not some kind of career or compensation for what Dad didn't do when he was younger.
I agree 100%. But IF junior shows some serious talent, it would be wise to do whatever necessary to help him make it as far as he could.

Post a reply to: what rc twittered regarding his son...

The Latest