what is husqvarna's plan on bike manufacture

hillbilly
Edited Date/Time 2/24/2015 9:25am
Anyone know ? Do they plan on making their own bikes at some point?

One sees more husky signage than ktm at the races,even in MotoGP.

Watched a AX this morning and they got their first win in that series.

You OGs know I love my huskys so I'm really stoked about the brand coming back.
|
wardy
2/22/2015 8:50am
i hear the plan is there is many different things to develop, and husky is going on direction and ktm another.

more to come in 16.

just what i have been told
TeamGreen
2/22/2015 8:50am Edited Date/Time 2/22/2015 8:55am
Let's say you're a major share holder in KTM; and, you bought Husky. What would you do?
2/22/2015 8:53am
Good question, the copy cat product is a little boring and represents a marketing ploy instead of an engineering one. I think KTM has used the Husqvarna name successfully for the first time sad but true.
hillbilly
2/22/2015 8:55am
TeamGreen wrote:
Let's say you're a major share holder in KTM; and, you bought Husky. What would you do?
That is what is weird to me,look at most startgate picks from this year and you see huge husky banners behind but not a ktm banner in sight. So,are they not competing against themselves?

The Shop

Ing
2/22/2015 8:55am
Good question, the copy cat product is a little boring and represents a marketing ploy instead of an engineering one. I think KTM has used the...
Good question, the copy cat product is a little boring and represents a marketing ploy instead of an engineering one. I think KTM has used the Husqvarna name successfully for the first time sad but true.
You didn't grow up in the late 60's or early 70's did you?
Cygnus
2/22/2015 8:56am
They make a damn fine chainsaw!
hillbilly
2/22/2015 8:59am
When i got on them in 87 preparing for the cagiva buy out they were owned by Electralux and I think they still own the trademark gunsight.
TeamGreen
2/22/2015 8:59am Edited Date/Time 2/22/2015 9:00am
TeamGreen wrote:
hillbilly wrote:
That is what is weird to me,look at most startgate picks from this year and you see huge husky banners behind but not a ktm banner...
That is what is weird to me,look at most startgate picks from this year and you see huge husky banners behind but not a ktm banner in sight. So,are they not competing against themselves?

Spending money to re-establish the brand and thier name.

I'm kinda diggin' it.

And iI'm kinda diggin the FE350S, too...

TeamGreen
2/22/2015 9:07am
Good question, the copy cat product is a little boring and represents a marketing ploy instead of an engineering one. I think KTM has used the...
What's the copy and what's the cat...?

Do you know the actual History of the Husaberg brand and how They ended up being Orange Thumpers? And do you know where and why Husaberg came into existence?
2/22/2015 9:10am
Ing wrote:
You didn't grow up in the late 60's or early 70's did you?
I'm an 80's kid, what I meant was that since the Swedish mark was dissolved. Cagiva failed and BMW failed but KTM looks like they are onto something. Anyone who was around in the 70's knows the success of Husqvarna.
2/22/2015 9:13am
It is slightly interesting to me that the teams are RedBull KTM and Rockstar Husqvarna...
mxjeff575
2/22/2015 9:21am
In my opinion the Husaberg (that KTM sold) was just a very slightly different version of the KTM product but in blue. The Husky seems the same to me....white plastic, a few very slight differences. I just can't view it as a Husky....to me it's just a white KTM. I really hope they get aggressive with making it significantly different. Just seems like the difference of a Chevy versus a GMC truck to me.
DonM
2/22/2015 9:22am
As Manny stated...when Cagiva bought Husky the original Husky engineers created Husaberg and they developed the 4 stroke project that they were developing at Husky. Husaberg actually created a very competitive 4 stroke that caught the eye of KTM. They purchased Husaberg and developed a 4 stroke with the same engineers that developed the Husaberg and now KTM has Husky....kind of the circle of life.....
malachi177
2/22/2015 10:20am Edited Date/Time 2/22/2015 10:21am
mxjeff575 wrote:
In my opinion the Husaberg (that KTM sold) was just a very slightly different version of the KTM product but in blue. The Husky seems the...
In my opinion the Husaberg (that KTM sold) was just a very slightly different version of the KTM product but in blue. The Husky seems the same to me....white plastic, a few very slight differences. I just can't view it as a Husky....to me it's just a white KTM. I really hope they get aggressive with making it significantly different. Just seems like the difference of a Chevy versus a GMC truck to me.
KTM didn't sell Husaberg! They bought Husaberg, then bought Husky. Then proceeded to combine the two. Which needed to be done. Why? Husaberg was created from people that left Husky. Pretty cool what KTM did re-uniting those two.
mmcmx
2/22/2015 10:51am
TeamGreen wrote:
I heard slightly diferent, but maybe its wrong:

Lets say you sold most of KTM shares to an indian company and, you bought Husky. What would you do?
SigPig
2/22/2015 11:01am
When KTM purchased Husaberg and used their tech in the RFS bikes, KTM then had more Husqvarna DNA than the Italian/Cagiva Husqvarnas.
HuskyEd
2/22/2015 11:29am
What KTM did was save Husqvarna from extinction. KTM had to start the Husky platform somewhere and pretty much have slapped white plastics on current KTM's with subtle differences. Talked to a US Husky rep at the MEC and he told me that Husqvarna will indeed be a totally different bike as time goes on but when KTM took the brand over they did have to start somewhere and build the brand back up again. IMO they've done a good job.
wildbill
2/22/2015 11:40am
They were good bikes in the late 70's. Exceptional Desert racers. I bought this model at a garage sale for my 2nd race bike. Pics are buried in slide form but thankfully, Hillsboro motorcycles shot one hanging. Full on Swedish engineering with a 6-speed. Torquey, kinda slow but, reliable and easy to ride for a 15 yr old hell bent on daily roost. Cool

Olson
2/22/2015 11:46am
I'm just glad the name is still relevant.
TerryB
2/22/2015 12:10pm
I think I remember reading, somewhere, that the direction of Husky development is going to focus on MX/SX? If this is correct, are we going to see KTM backing away from MX/SX and focusing more on Offroad disciplines?

Xeno
2/22/2015 12:44pm
TeamGreen wrote:
mmcmx wrote:
I heard slightly diferent, but maybe its wrong: Lets say you sold most of KTM shares to an indian company and, you bought Husky. What would...
I heard slightly diferent, but maybe its wrong:

Lets say you sold most of KTM shares to an indian company and, you bought Husky. What would you do?
Well, I would use the money from India to improve my flagship product, hire the best racers, and launch a global marketing campaign.

Then I would apply all that momentum to the other brand that I just bought.

Sound familiar?
mxjeff575
2/22/2015 12:45pm
mxjeff575 wrote:
In my opinion the Husaberg (that KTM sold) was just a very slightly different version of the KTM product but in blue. The Husky seems the...
malachi177 wrote:
KTM didn't sell Husaberg! They bought Husaberg, then bought Husky. Then proceeded to combine the two. Which needed to be done. Why? Husaberg was created from...
KTM didn't sell Husaberg! They bought Husaberg, then bought Husky. Then proceeded to combine the two. Which needed to be done. Why? Husaberg was created from people that left Husky. Pretty cool what KTM did re-uniting those two.
My bad...I didn't write that very clearly (I know they dissolved Husaberg after acquiring Husky). In my mind KTM sold both KTM's and Husabergs and now they sell both KTM and Husky motorcycles. Husaberg never seemed like Husaberg to me, it seemed like a blue KTM that KTM sold, and the Husky seems like a white KTM that KTM sells.
I do understand they saved Husky from extinction and had to start somewhere, I just hope they develop it into more than a white KTM with a different subframe (which I didn't see Husaberg developed any past that).
Outsider
2/22/2015 12:49pm
TerryB wrote:
I think I remember reading, somewhere, that the direction of Husky development is going to focus on MX/SX? If this is correct, are we going to...
I think I remember reading, somewhere, that the direction of Husky development is going to focus on MX/SX? If this is correct, are we going to see KTM backing away from MX/SX and focusing more on Offroad disciplines?

That would be cool, just think how good offroad bikes could become
rohleder644
2/22/2015 12:55pm
As I understood it, KTM planned to use Husaberg as sort of a R&D line for the orange bikes. Husaberg's were going to get some of the higher end parts (composite sub frame, different forks) to test at market, and the parts were going to slide over to the KTM's if all was good. The Husaberg line was going to be more of the "luxury" line. I wonder if this is the same general thought process with Husqvarna, or if they plan a more radical departure between the two bikes?
MxKing809
Fantasy
315th
2/22/2015 12:59pm
I believe KTM will move forward with their new FE design and Husky will move on with the stock '15 platform. They're close now, but once the 16 KTMs drop and the 16 Husky stay the same there will be more differences than just the plastic. From there it's like Darwin evolution theories..... once speciation occurs and there is a split between two similar forms they will differentiate to fill their own niche.
hillbilly
2/22/2015 7:56pm
They must be gonna dabble in MotoGP since they put so many husky banners out.
APLMAN99
2/22/2015 10:44pm
TeamGreen wrote:
Well if I'm one of the other shareholders I'm asking how this sort of sweetheart deal is going to help me.

wardy
2/22/2015 11:06pm
Ktm owns the off road scene.

putting Husky in place to strive for the top of mx/sx is good move since the racing public don't seem to cross over those lines well.

600 entries at a national enduro, 450+ are on ktms.

who would have thought 5 years ago ktm's would be strong in mx/sx. now who thought 5 years ago husky would podium anything mx/sx .

looks like it's working well.

and good for them. When the "big" 4 decided to limit choice and market their product in a way which cost us riders more, these brands gave us choice.

good for them. good for the sport. good for us.

Post a reply to: what is husqvarna's plan on bike manufacture

The Latest