what 2 way radio/earpiece???

Edited Date/Time 8/29/2013 7:58am
Hi

I need help trying to find a way of talking to my son while he's on mx track other than shouting at him, which obviously he don't hear, and I just look crazy!!
I've seen other parents with earpieces and radios etc. I've been trailing the internet, and I am stuck, can anyone help please??

Unsure cheers Lou
|
Grizz
8/28/2013 3:11pm
Uh... How old is your son? You don't look crazy by yelling at him. I wouldn't suggest having him ride with an ear piece in.

This just takes mini-dad to a whole new level.
8/28/2013 3:20pm
What would you need to tell your son while he's racing that you couldn't put on a pitboard? Shouldn't be yelling at him anyway, it doesn't help. You can wag him on enthusiastically or whatever, there's nothing wrong with that, but yelling shit at him will do nothing but district him, IMO.

"You don't look crazy by yelling at him" I would say otherwise, again, just my opinion. Let your kid do his thing and have fun.
Grizz
8/28/2013 3:28pm
What would you need to tell your son while he's racing that you couldn't put on a pitboard? Shouldn't be yelling at him anyway, it doesn't...
What would you need to tell your son while he's racing that you couldn't put on a pitboard? Shouldn't be yelling at him anyway, it doesn't help. You can wag him on enthusiastically or whatever, there's nothing wrong with that, but yelling shit at him will do nothing but district him, IMO.

"You don't look crazy by yelling at him" I would say otherwise, again, just my opinion. Let your kid do his thing and have fun.
I mean shouting, screaming, yelling... whatever you want to call it. Not, "GET ON THE GAS YOU FUCKING SQUID YOU SUCK ASS!!!!" But more like, "GO GO GO GO GO GET HIM GOOOOOOO!!!!!" Like that kind of stuff...
thatdad
8/28/2013 4:11pm Edited Date/Time 8/28/2013 4:12pm
I heard a bb gun is effective. Also remote control dog collars have their charm.

The Shop

dboivin
8/28/2013 4:16pm Edited Date/Time 8/28/2013 4:17pm
grew up on mini's from 60cc on up to expert. the last thing i ever wanted was my dad to stay away from the track unless i needed him or pit board information. if you need to communicate with your kid while hes riding like that, sell the bike now. he will hate it eventually and tell you to get lost. I've seen it a thousand times. there is nothing you can tell him while he's riding that is gonna help him while hes actually riding....whats worse is distracting him from concentrating and this could get ugly

you want him to get better, it won't be you telling him how....sign him up with a moto-x school and let a professional teach him.
8/28/2013 4:18pm
OH PLEASE!! I'm on about encouraging him, do you not think I give him the praise and the thumbs up every time he goes past, thank you for the parenting advice geez!
8/28/2013 4:22pm
Ok thanks dboivin, im new to all this and the other parents at the tracks have these and advised I get one, that is all. but taking on the advice from above (well some any how) then I think I will be leaving it,
8/28/2013 4:51pm
While there are several companies that do sell what your looking for, most racing associations do not allow radio communications from rider to mechanic or dad. Of course you buy it and use it for only practice
Sandman865
8/28/2013 5:18pm
Rugged radios audio pit board! Best investment I have ever made for my son!
mx5471
8/28/2013 6:45pm
dboivin hit it right on the head. When your kid is on the track, he's in charge not you. Communicating with him is just going to cause him to lose focus. You give him a safe bike, proper protective gear, and training to be able to ride. Then your job is to watch, and tell him he had a great race, no matter what happened, because he learned things that will make him better. And it's a funny thing about kids. I told my son to shift up in the air when doing the finish line jump at our club track, and he never would. One day an older member was watching him and said the same thing. He did it ever since. Outside instruction works.
dboivin
8/28/2013 7:05pm
redhead30 wrote:
Ok thanks dboivin, im new to all this and the other parents at the tracks have these and advised I get one, that is all. but...
Ok thanks dboivin, im new to all this and the other parents at the tracks have these and advised I get one, that is all. but taking on the advice from above (well some any how) then I think I will be leaving it,
those are called "crazy mini-dads".....

do yourself a favor and don't fall prey to the mini-dad scene. Teach your kid off the track in between rides. do 1 on 1 time on small track. Don't try to teach him or communicate while hes racing outside of encouragement and pitboard type stuff. Don't yell....it makes you look like a jackass. seen some very talented kids quit racing and it was because of the pressure their dads put on them and the screaming that ensued on the track and in the pits.
Sandman865
8/28/2013 7:15pm
My kid is 3 1/2 and has picked it up very fast. I can tell him what he is doing wrong, while in the act. 3 year olds won't remember when u stop and tell them 10 min later. If u want your kid to be fast, best investment u can make. I would refer this product to any mini dad. This product also is great for safety, can alert of down rider, or something on track.
6-wheelz
8/28/2013 7:40pm Edited Date/Time 8/28/2013 8:22pm
Sandman865 wrote:
My kid is 3 1/2 and has picked it up very fast. I can tell him what he is doing wrong, while in the act. 3...
My kid is 3 1/2 and has picked it up very fast. I can tell him what he is doing wrong, while in the act. 3 year olds won't remember when u stop and tell them 10 min later. If u want your kid to be fast, best investment u can make. I would refer this product to any mini dad. This product also is great for safety, can alert of down rider, or something on track.
no comment
ocscottie
8/28/2013 7:52pm
Radios are very cool, they were popular in the mini class back in the mid 80's. I had a set for my Pilot, but had a hard time and didnt buy a very high end set.

..and as usual, the Vitards jump all over a guy asking for advice, some of you are truly pathetic.
8/28/2013 7:59pm
Didn't mean to come off as an asshole, obviously I don't know how you treat your son. I just see too many "Tony Alessi" type parents on the track now and it pisses me off, just wish they would take a step back and let their kids race. I'm not saying you are like this, but maybe a radio communicator is taking things a 'lil too seriously.
braaap
Fantasy
2193rd
8/28/2013 8:45pm
The Vitards always make me shake my head with the "radios have no place in MX...the rider won't be able to focus......just use a pitboard".

Pitboards are just plain archaic. Might as well get a stone tablet and chisel the message on it.

And we wonder why MX doesn't get more mainstream attention.

Radios in helmets are a great tool and could be great for rider safety as well.
WhipMeister
Fantasy
4434th
8/28/2013 9:20pm
The only way this could possibly work is if the default is "MUTE" that the rider disables before he hears anything. Otherwise, the distractions really could be fatal. And no B/C-level rider would benefit. I could see it working with experienced experts and well-rehearsed crews.
dboivin
8/28/2013 9:43pm
ocscottie wrote:
Anyone remember these? i once tried them also, garbage http://www.off-road.com/snowmobile/review/a-review-of-the-collett-900mhz-communicator-22898.html [img]https://www.off-road.com/aimages/articlestandard/snowmobile/492005/253924/communit.jpg[/img]
Anyone remember these? i once tried them also, garbage

http://www.off-road.com/snowmobile/review/a-review-of-the-collett-900mh…

still used extensively in snowmobiling scottie. company kinda went down and now they are back up and pretty much the big player in snowmobiling.
ocscottie
8/28/2013 9:51pm Edited Date/Time 8/28/2013 9:52pm
This was back in like early 90's, they have to advanced since then lol

and i think i still have them.
Jakes Dad
8/29/2013 2:57am
Forget it, let him focus on the task at hand. Then discuss afterwards, use a gopro to go over his riding also.

Kids don't need that distraction.
Boarddesign
Fantasy
2069th
8/29/2013 6:27am
I have the chatter box set up. It's made so much improvement in my boys riding! There are times he just isn't standing or something simple and I can Instanly tell him, he fixes it and can work on the next thing. I got ours from Craig Monty (ex factory mechanic) he's made them pretty popular in southern Ca. Pm me if you want his contact info.
Mr. Ted
Fantasy
1522nd
8/29/2013 7:58am
My son's trainer used them during training sessions, so that when he was following my son, he could make corrections "on the fly" as it were. As opposed to riding laps, going back discussion what can be improved upon, etc. He can give him real time info. But I would never let my son wear it during a race, as he needs to concentrate on the racing and not have chatter going on in his ear. It is a good training tool, imo. http://www.cardosystems.com/ I think they use the "scala" model.

Post a reply to: what 2 way radio/earpiece???

The Latest