updated list of tire weight, lightest mx tire

Related:
Create New Tag

11/21/2019 1:50 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/22/2019 8:45 PM

Everyone is out there buying a bunch of bling for their bike the don't make you any faster.
Its like a whole new bike when you get some light weight race tires on.
Just read and article on the Hoosier tires they are like 2 lbs lighter than mx33s I bet they feel great

If any one has any more known tire weights please add it on

Below is a list of known tire weights on another forum. But it's from 2015


Maxxis Maxxcross IT 110/100-18 14.2 lbs
Maxxis Maxxcross IT 110/90/19 = 12.9lbs

Michelin MS3 110/90/19 = 13.3lbs

Pirelli Scorpion mid/hard 110/90/19 = 11.7lbs
Pirelli Scorpion mid/hard 80/100/21- 8.0lb

Kenda Millville 120/100-18 13.95lbs[/u]


This is all i could find from 2019-2018:

Hoosier 120/90/19 IMX20/25/30= 10.1 lbs
Hoosier 80/100/21 imx25/30 =8.01 lbs

STI tech 2 pro inermediate 100/90-19= (11.5 pounds),
110/100-19= (12.0 pounds)
120-80-19 =(12.5 pounds).
80/100-21 front weighs =8.8 pounds

Michelin Starcross 5 Medium:
4,430 g (9.77 lb) 100/90-19
5,275 g (11.63 lb) 110/90-19

Michelin Starcross 5 Soft:
3,520 g (7.76 lb) 80/100-21
3,770 g (8.31 lb) 90/100-21

Dunlop MX33 80/100/21= 9.01 pounds
Dunlop MX33 120/90/19= 12.04 pounds

|

11/21/2019 7:22 PM

Your going to want to look at Metzeler's.

|

2015 Beta 500 RS, history: 99 KTM 300, 87 CR250, 84 KLR 600, 82 GPZ 550, 81 KX 250, 80 KX 250, 79 Montesa 414 VE, 78 250 VB, 77 360 VB, 76 360 VA, 75 YZ 125, 74 TM 125, 72 TS 125, 60's West Bend Go Boy Kart

11/21/2019 9:59 PM

Bridgestone and Dunlop are irrelevant since none of those are even made anymore. Even in 2015, those Dunlop’s were irrelevant for not being made anymore.

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @hamdaddyof2 & @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

11/22/2019 1:22 AM

I would like to see a list of current tyre weights, I have the impression that Michelin starcross May be the lightest now...

|

11/22/2019 1:22 AM

Why don't they make tires out of titanium already?

|

- Filthy Euro
- Silly prankster
- Life-long Zook fan
- Rooting for all privateers on this rotating ball of carbon, hydrogen, silicon and poop

11/22/2019 1:42 AM

Last Braaap wrote:

Why don't they make tires out of titanium already?

It’s a conspiracy lead by the tube manufacturers

|

11/22/2019 2:59 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/22/2019 5:59 AM

Tire weight may make a difference for some one, but I can never blame that for my loses.

|

11/22/2019 5:05 AM

Last Braaap wrote:

Why don't they make tires out of titanium already?

Deja New wrote:

It’s a conspiracy lead by the tube manufacturers

should we call those people CarTelle Tubbies?

|

- Filthy Euro
- Silly prankster
- Life-long Zook fan
- Rooting for all privateers on this rotating ball of carbon, hydrogen, silicon and poop

11/22/2019 9:26 AM

You'll going to get a lot of people saying you're crazy or that weight doesn't matter. But the reality is they're wrong. It's simple physics. Less weight = faster. And tires, being unsprung, and being rotational on the largest radius possible, are by far the best place to save weight.

Michelin Starcross 5 Medium:
4,430 g (9.77 lb) 100/90-19
5,275 g (11.63 lb) 110/90-19

Michelin Starcross 5 Soft:
3,520 g (7.76 lb) 80/100-21
3,770 g (8.31 lb) 90/100-21

|

Billy Wight
Luxon MX
@LuxonMX
https://luxonmx.com
Precision Engineered Motocross Components

11/22/2019 9:41 AM

Luxon MX wrote:

You'll going to get a lot of people saying you're crazy or that weight doesn't matter. But the reality is they're wrong. It's simple physics. Less weight = faster. And tires, being unsprung, and being rotational on the largest radius possible, are by far the best place to save weight.

Michelin Starcross 5 Medium:
4,430 g (9.77 lb) 100/90-19
5,275 g (11.63 lb) 110/90-19

Michelin Starcross 5 Soft:
3,520 g (7.76 lb) 80/100-21
3,770 g (8.31 lb) 90/100-21

Precisely why I fill my tyres with helium

|

11/22/2019 6:17 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/22/2019 6:17 PM

If you ain't winning with the "heavy" tires you ain't gonna win with the light tires.

|

Ed Johnson

11/22/2019 8:15 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/22/2019 8:18 PM

lostboy819 wrote:

If you ain't winning with the "heavy" tires you ain't gonna win with the light tires.

Again I disagree, Your pipe, clutch cover, rims stuff like that yea but If any component of the bike might be the difference from losing to winning it's tires or maybe suspension.

I think good tires really will make a difference.

|

11/22/2019 8:18 PM

Just got a set of Dunlop 53s for Day in the Dirt. I'll try to find a scale at the race shop to weigh them.

|

I ripped a start from Egypt and I was happy about that.

11/22/2019 8:23 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/22/2019 8:24 PM

lostboy819 wrote:

If you ain't winning with the "heavy" tires you ain't gonna win with the light tires.

spimx wrote:

Again I disagree, Your pipe, clutch cover, rims stuff like that yea but If any component of the bike might be the difference from losing to winning it's tires or maybe suspension.

I think good tires really will make a difference.

Good tires, yes that is why they have special factory tires but its more the compound and traction that it provides then the weight that makes a great tire. You are talking about the weight of tires that make the difference.

|

Ed Johnson

11/22/2019 8:29 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/22/2019 8:30 PM

lostboy819 wrote:

If you ain't winning with the "heavy" tires you ain't gonna win with the light tires.

spimx wrote:

Again I disagree, Your pipe, clutch cover, rims stuff like that yea but If any component of the bike might be the difference from losing to winning it's tires or maybe suspension.

I think good tires really will make a difference.

lostboy819 wrote:

Good tires, yes that is why they have special factory tires but its more the compound and traction that it provides then the weight that makes a great tire. You are talking about the weight of tires that make the difference.

Ok I see. Weight of the tires make no impact on performance and handling. Thanks for your input, have a nice day.

|

11/23/2019 4:12 AM

Some people look for anything they can buy to get fast. I get it, if you are a sec or 2 from Eli, then yes all that stuff added up may help, but for most of us normal riders that that are 30 sec a lap slower than Eli.

We need way more help then just parts and a gym.

|

11/23/2019 4:42 AM

Set a ten pound sack of taters on your tank and cut a lap

I carried a metal rod in my tool box marked for your 4 lap moto or ten minutes ,regional moto,and Loretta moto.

Putting just enuff fuel in to get thru the moto is a mod that cost nothing

But,Cheng shin used to make tires so light you could flat setting the bike off the stand

|

11/23/2019 5:12 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/23/2019 5:15 AM

zippytech wrote:

Some people look for anything they can buy to get fast. I get it, if you are a sec or 2 from Eli, then yes all that stuff added up may help, but for most of us normal riders that that are 30 sec a lap slower than Eli.

We need way more help then just parts and a gym.

I dont think you are entirely wrong. The help you need mostly is fitness, tires, suspension and some technique. Have a nice day.

|

11/23/2019 5:44 AM

hillbilly wrote:

Set a ten pound sack of taters on your tank and cut a lap

I carried a metal rod in my tool box marked for your 4 lap moto or ten minutes ,regional moto,and Loretta moto.

Putting just enuff fuel in to get thru the moto is a mod that cost nothing

But,Cheng shin used to make tires so light you could flat setting the bike off the stand

Weight on your tank would put weight distribution higher than normal.

Heavier tires would lower weight distribution and aid bike handling

|

11/23/2019 6:14 AM

hillbilly wrote:

Set a ten pound sack of taters on your tank and cut a lap

I carried a metal rod in my tool box marked for your 4 lap moto or ten minutes ,regional moto,and Loretta moto.

Putting just enuff fuel in to get thru the moto is a mod that cost nothing

But,Cheng shin used to make tires so light you could flat setting the bike off the stand

kkawboy14 wrote:

Weight on your tank would put weight distribution higher than normal.

Heavier tires would lower weight distribution and aid bike handling

Dude you must have a degree in physics and engineering. Let me change the name to heaviest mx tires and knock yourself out to get the heaviest ones.

|

11/23/2019 6:57 AM
Edited Date/Time: 11/23/2019 6:58 AM

hillbilly wrote:

Set a ten pound sack of taters on your tank and cut a lap

I carried a metal rod in my tool box marked for your 4 lap moto or ten minutes ,regional moto,and Loretta moto.

Putting just enuff fuel in to get thru the moto is a mod that cost nothing

But,Cheng shin used to make tires so light you could flat setting the bike off the stand

kkawboy14 wrote:

Weight on your tank would put weight distribution higher than normal.

Heavier tires would lower weight distribution and aid bike handling

spimx wrote:

Dude you must have a degree in physics and engineering. Let me change the name to heaviest mx tires and knock yourself out to get the heaviest ones.

I have a degree in street smarts.....earned it at Sears right before they closed it by my house! Arguing ounces in tires with guys who are 25 pounds over weight? You must be deaf!

|

11/23/2019 7:06 AM

If all else is equal (price, performance, durability), why wouldn't you choose to run the lightest tires you can?

I don't obsess over weight however I did try a Bridgestone X30 and it was noticeably heavier just carrying it around which has caused me to not buy it again.

|

11/23/2019 7:46 AM

Can you people fucking focus?

If you happen to have some tire weights, please share.

|

11/23/2019 7:58 AM

CG118 wrote:

Can you people fucking focus?

If you happen to have some tire weights, please share.

But, where's the argument in doing that?!

|

I ripped a start from Egypt and I was happy about that.

11/23/2019 8:00 AM

Well.....good point.

|

11/23/2019 11:29 AM

Hey man,just saying

I always laughed when I saw guys topping off a tank for a 4 lap moto.

Cut all the knobs off and fill er up with helium,then you could drink 3 more beers and weigh the same

|