two broken arms

yamadogyz
2/6/2013 4:10pm Edited Date/Time 2/16/2013 9:25am
i wrecked up at ram jam mx in lorain ohio on 1/12/13. i endoed my bike off a triple, went to bail and got stuck arms leading. anyhow i broke my left ula/radius in 4 spots, dislocated my left wrist and broke my right humerus at the elbow. anyhow movement sucks in my left hand still and ive been out of school going on a month. i just figured you guys would like a story and a few gnarly pics. anyone else fuck up really bad?

|
Torco1
2/6/2013 4:13pm
Damn.......that was a rough one.
NeWskoolmxer
2/6/2013 4:14pm
1. Dammmmn that sucks

2. indoors suck....is it spring yet?

3. who wipes your.....nvm
yamadogyz
2/6/2013 4:16pm
1. Dammmmn that sucks

2. indoors suck....is it spring yet?

3. who wipes your.....nvm
ill be a man and tell you the first week, it wasnt me.
slipdog
2/6/2013 4:17pm
Way to tough it out Bro...

Heal up quick!

The Shop

ridge
2/6/2013 4:17pm Edited Date/Time 2/6/2013 4:19pm
I bet you have a much closer relationship with your parents...even closer than you ever wanted or expected at your age.

Edit: Newskool beat me to it!
yamadogyz
2/6/2013 4:20pm
i want to add there was no crying or whining haha and yeah. much close and so on and so forth
ridge
2/6/2013 4:22pm
So...what's your plan as far as Moto is concerned?
jgilps617
2/6/2013 4:23pm
Dude thats gnarly shit. Just did a nice number on myself this past summer and wound up with a broken wrist and collarbone that needed a plate and a couple screws. I now know not to scrub a jump thats dry and harder than concrete otherwise ill pile drive myself into the dirt again. Most miserable two months of my life recovering from that one. good luck recovering mang thats a tough one to bite.
three9zero
2/6/2013 4:24pm
Hang in there man, you'll be able to spank it in no time.
yamadogyz
2/6/2013 4:28pm
ridge wrote:
So...what's your plan as far as Moto is concerned?
get my bike fixed up, get cleared and go back to schoolboy and B, maybe with a fresh engine. then probably wreck again sometime and do it all again with 3 more plates.

617- dude that sucks. my dads a doctor, i guess your safe until you break into a joint. i did twice haha.
slipdog
2/6/2013 4:33pm
I'll see your two broken arms and raise you two broken heels, photos courtesy of Ridge...

2/6/2013 4:36pm
Oh dude. You can't aim a #1, wipe a #2 or rub out a #3. That sucketh. Heal up soon!
C.Worthy
2/6/2013 4:36pm
That sucks big time. I recently just healed up from a fractured wrist and thumb and chipped a couple pieces of bone off and that was shitty. I can't imagine what it's like to have 2 broken arms. Hope everything heals up alright for you man!
bvm111
2/6/2013 4:37pm
I learned the hard way that if you are a moto guy, dont get talked into doing a desert race!!!!

I shattered my left elbow into 15 pieces, 5th gear pinned on my 94 CR250 in 1995 (I know i am old) I lost blood flow to the lower arm and almost lost the arm all together!!! I still have 2 pins and a wire that was supposed to break and be removed, but, it never broke so i live with it. All I can say is the pain goes away.... and DO YOUR PT!!!! I promise you that it is going to hurt way worse than the wreck and surgeries put together but do it!!!! You will never regain your range of motion and strength if you dont.... I still lack 15-20% extension but it works and I raced another 8 years with it!!!

Those photos are brutal i do not envy you at all!!!
jgilps617
2/6/2013 4:41pm
my wrist was right on the fringe of breaking into the joint but it wound up healing good. Collarbones sturdy I took a nice hit on it 2 weeks ago and it held nice. No injury will ever keep me off a bike or stop me from riding the way I always do( which is especially sketchy on a yz250 2 banger) youll be out ripping again soon just gotta have patience and exercise it when you can. At least you dont have to miss out on a whole summer like i did.
2/6/2013 5:00pm Edited Date/Time 2/6/2013 5:00pm
Yessir, Dec 09 Ram Jam gave me a souvenir Femur Rod and pins in my thumb! I havent rode indoors yet.

I believe to this day if you ask them about the big guy that yelled "Fuck" a dozen times.....they know who it was.
Trav138
2/6/2013 5:02pm
Heal up man, great attitude. I'm going for my fifth ankle surgery in the past year tommorrow. I am not to pumped for this one cause i know its not going to do shit. Been researching all week and thinking amputation is in my very near future. I'm really just over going backwards and the pain. Why put off the inevitable! Looks like your healing up good and be back in no time.
yamadogyz
2/6/2013 5:12pm
Trav138 wrote:
Heal up man, great attitude. I'm going for my fifth ankle surgery in the past year tommorrow. I am not to pumped for this one cause...
Heal up man, great attitude. I'm going for my fifth ankle surgery in the past year tommorrow. I am not to pumped for this one cause i know its not going to do shit. Been researching all week and thinking amputation is in my very near future. I'm really just over going backwards and the pain. Why put off the inevitable! Looks like your healing up good and be back in no time.
if its joint pain consider having it fused, its a better option forsure

jake- indoor is a death trap, i hated it before and its even sketchier hahaha

617- i am with you on that dude.

A biggg thank to everyone for the thoughts, it really cheered me up. now to tackle the 15k bill, after insurance. before it was 150k
2/6/2013 5:22pm Edited Date/Time 2/6/2013 5:27pm
All in one crash, big ass 70' double, I split it with the front and back, frame cased, no suspension action. Cleared the same jump a few dozen times, just one mistake was all it took. After that, they made it into a tabletop, I was the third person severely hurt on it (two broken backs was the other two), plus a bunch of broken arms, wrists, etc.

-shattered left femur, way up high - 14" titanium nail and some other screw piece to join the top and bottom portions
-broke left radius and ulna 3" above the wrist, but clean, nothing but a cast
-3rd degree separation of right shoulder
-cracked sternum
-all ribs broken
-right lung punctured by an errant rib
-concussion
-6 days in a trauma center 2 hours away from home
-3 weeks in a wheelchair (couldn't use crutches, both arms jacked)
-several weeks in a walker (yes, like an old man)
-several more weeks on crutches
-walking on leg at 2 months
-riding again at ten months post injury

Yeah, someone wiped my ass for a bit (mom and dad), at 34 yrs old, that's a tough one hahaha. Had a hospital bed in my house for a bit. A year later, I had another big crash, got a bad concussion (#3 in ten years), broke a tooth, and decided it was time. Time to quit that is.

OP, you look young, heal fast, heal right, and do your own therapy, but DO it.

I took up a safer sport after that...I'm the white dude, black guy is a close friend, our first marathon, me at 38yrs old, (he beat me by 14 minutes, damn yound kids, 21yrs old).

The leg at 10 days post injury

Hardware

the jump

Trav138
2/6/2013 5:47pm
Fusion is risky i had a complex pilon fracture on the right, where my leg came down into my ankle and just exploded. They did some bone grafting with cadaver and my hip bone to try to make it strong enough to get to a fusion, but its a mess. Additionally the damage to my foot and other joints in the foot would not be helped by the fusion. The problem is i also destroyed the left foot on the same crash. Its bad but in a different way,crushed my talus although i am happy how it healed. I will know more on the 19th i go and see Dr. Conti the premiere ankle and foot guy around the north east.
I've read alot on Ridge and many others and i dont want to go through years of surgery and suffer with it when their is not much they can really do. I cant walk or put much weight on it and it getting worse by the day. I have extensive soft tissue damage that is adding to it. Its all good if i have to make a choice i won't hesitate. Just like you i want to get back to riding and living. Thanks for asking.
yamadogyz
2/6/2013 5:52pm
thephoenix wrote:
All in one crash, big ass 70' double, I split it with the front and back, frame cased, no suspension action. Cleared the same jump a...
All in one crash, big ass 70' double, I split it with the front and back, frame cased, no suspension action. Cleared the same jump a few dozen times, just one mistake was all it took. After that, they made it into a tabletop, I was the third person severely hurt on it (two broken backs was the other two), plus a bunch of broken arms, wrists, etc.

-shattered left femur, way up high - 14" titanium nail and some other screw piece to join the top and bottom portions
-broke left radius and ulna 3" above the wrist, but clean, nothing but a cast
-3rd degree separation of right shoulder
-cracked sternum
-all ribs broken
-right lung punctured by an errant rib
-concussion
-6 days in a trauma center 2 hours away from home
-3 weeks in a wheelchair (couldn't use crutches, both arms jacked)
-several weeks in a walker (yes, like an old man)
-several more weeks on crutches
-walking on leg at 2 months
-riding again at ten months post injury

Yeah, someone wiped my ass for a bit (mom and dad), at 34 yrs old, that's a tough one hahaha. Had a hospital bed in my house for a bit. A year later, I had another big crash, got a bad concussion (#3 in ten years), broke a tooth, and decided it was time. Time to quit that is.

OP, you look young, heal fast, heal right, and do your own therapy, but DO it.

I took up a safer sport after that...I'm the white dude, black guy is a close friend, our first marathon, me at 38yrs old, (he beat me by 14 minutes, damn yound kids, 21yrs old).

The leg at 10 days post injury

Hardware

the jump

holy shit dude! you make my injury look like nothing. you look like your doing well, classy jump. i hope my luck is that good, my left fingers dont want to move much but i can feel them
ridge
2/6/2013 6:29pm
Trav138 wrote:
Fusion is risky i had a complex pilon fracture on the right, where my leg came down into my ankle and just exploded. They did some...
Fusion is risky i had a complex pilon fracture on the right, where my leg came down into my ankle and just exploded. They did some bone grafting with cadaver and my hip bone to try to make it strong enough to get to a fusion, but its a mess. Additionally the damage to my foot and other joints in the foot would not be helped by the fusion. The problem is i also destroyed the left foot on the same crash. Its bad but in a different way,crushed my talus although i am happy how it healed. I will know more on the 19th i go and see Dr. Conti the premiere ankle and foot guy around the north east.
I've read alot on Ridge and many others and i dont want to go through years of surgery and suffer with it when their is not much they can really do. I cant walk or put much weight on it and it getting worse by the day. I have extensive soft tissue damage that is adding to it. Its all good if i have to make a choice i won't hesitate. Just like you i want to get back to riding and living. Thanks for asking.
If you wanna get more info about amputation, just send me an email.

chrisridgway181@yahoo.com
2/6/2013 6:29pm Edited Date/Time 2/7/2013 4:30pm
I was riding a 250T on my track with a motor issue that wasn't found yet and it bogged out on the face of a 70ft double while scrubbing. landed about 2-3ft short front end low, augured into the ground head and wrists first from the 8ft tall landing, messed up some disks in my neck, tore meniscus in both wrists, dislocated my left wrist as well as completely shattering everything to do with your left wist. Wrist surgeon of 28 years said it was the worst thing he has ever seen, it was literally mush. Had it fused with a metal plate, 4 screws and 2 pins. Doc told me he prayed for me because he had no idea if what he did would lead to a "fixed" wrist. 3 surgeries and all the metal taken out, it took 26 months to get to a point I could use it enough to ride a bicycle or hold a 2 liter. 30 months until I rode again, which he said would 75% chance never happen again. It hurts pretty much every day and if I jam it or slam it I wanna cut it off but in due time you'll be good again my friend.  photo downsized_0728091936.jpg" class="img-fluid" /> photo 0728091935.jpg" class="img-fluid" />
In the bottom pic my wrist was swollen to about 4inches wide, its normally 2 1/4". My avatar and sig pic are both from 2012, feels so good to be back at it, especially after the Docs, parents, friends all said I was done. Determination can overcome anything!
pdub187
Fantasy
2499th
2/6/2013 6:34pm
I broke my right wrist and left thumb a few years ago on a streetbike. I ended up having to get my wrist screwed and plated. It wasn't the most fun in the world for sure.
2/6/2013 6:36pm
Wow, this thread makes me feel a bit better... sitting at home at the moment going insane after a recent crash. Nowhere near as bad as you guys - broken ribs, punctured lung and broken collarbone. But I think I am over it, been riding for about 15 years and just sick of getting injured. I have had a rough ride the last 3 years. No income for next 6 weeks puts the nail in the coffin.
Funny thing I was laying in bed last night unable to sleep from pain and thought about all the great people and friends you meet in this sport. Everything is moto 24/7. Normal people think it is crazy we keep going back for more.
MCfan4life
2/6/2013 6:39pm
Gnarly injury young fella! Not being able to wipe...well I'd hate to ever be in that situation!

Hopefully you're healing up well.
Wandell
2/6/2013 7:15pm
Get well soon brother!
CR250Rider
2/6/2013 7:22pm
and here I am trying to eat lasagne for dinner
BAMX
2/6/2013 8:39pm
Damn that sucks...Get the hardware taken out you will feel way better after. It is worth the extra weeks of recovery. It will be especially helpful for the wrist injury.

Post a reply to: two broken arms

The Latest