the systematic destruction of the sport of motocross.

5/30/2019 11:40am
"The sport" only has 12 years left. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/05/30/351122/s1200_aoc.jpg[/img]
"The sport" only has 12 years left.
She can go from kinda hot to WTF in mili seconds!
5/30/2019 11:43am Edited Date/Time 5/30/2019 11:44am
Flip109 wrote:
Some of you have never checked TV guides in Walmart, then went home and set a vcr to record at 2am the Tuesday after the race...
Some of you have never checked TV guides in Walmart, then went home and set a vcr to record at 2am the Tuesday after the race, only to rewind it the next day and there be some rerun of a fucking dog show instead. Or waited till a month later to read about it in the next magazine. Live app, live tv, either way is cool with me!! Bitch all you want I actually prefer the app.
OH, I remember those days! Man I would get pissed if I set the timer wrong or a Golden Girls show got pushed back and I...
OH, I remember those days! Man I would get pissed if I set the timer wrong or a Golden Girls show got pushed back and I missed the last moto! Do you remember the phone number that you could call to get the race results?
Flip109 wrote:
Omg I did not know there was a phone number. Okay my past 14 year old self feels robbed lol
Oh yeah, can`t remember what it was. I would call it and have keep hitting repeat while I wrote down the results. It may have been through Cycle News, but it has been a minute and my CRS has gotten pretty rough over the last decade! I would have to go buy a vcr and rewatch some of the races I have, pretty sure they announced it during the program.
JustMX
5/30/2019 12:15pm
OH, I remember those days! Man I would get pissed if I set the timer wrong or a Golden Girls show got pushed back and I...
OH, I remember those days! Man I would get pissed if I set the timer wrong or a Golden Girls show got pushed back and I missed the last moto! Do you remember the phone number that you could call to get the race results?
Flip109 wrote:
Omg I did not know there was a phone number. Okay my past 14 year old self feels robbed lol
Oh yeah, can`t remember what it was. I would call it and have keep hitting repeat while I wrote down the results. It may have been...
Oh yeah, can`t remember what it was. I would call it and have keep hitting repeat while I wrote down the results. It may have been through Cycle News, but it has been a minute and my CRS has gotten pretty rough over the last decade! I would have to go buy a vcr and rewatch some of the races I have, pretty sure they announced it during the program.
1900 supercross?

They lasted about a year until the different promoters realized they were missing out on a revenue stream.

So they cut the guy with the original idea out of the picture, and by the time they got their act together the internet had arrived and their 900 # never did anything.
sandtrack315
5/30/2019 3:20pm
Rhody wrote:
I blame Tinder. Back in the day, being a badass on a bike would get you some chicks. Now, it's all swipe right, swipe left, no...
I blame Tinder. Back in the day, being a badass on a bike would get you some chicks. Now, it's all swipe right, swipe left, no incentive to go out an place your ass on the line to impress the girls. No more "Bones heal, chicks dig scars, pain is temporary, glory is forever" for kids today.
LOL you’re not wrong.

The Shop

5/30/2019 3:31pm
Flip109 wrote:
Oh yeah, can`t remember what it was. I would call it and have keep hitting repeat while I wrote down the results. It may have been...
JustMX wrote:
1900 supercross? They lasted about a year until the different promoters realized they were missing out on a revenue stream. So they cut the guy with...
1900 supercross?

They lasted about a year until the different promoters realized they were missing out on a revenue stream.

So they cut the guy with the original idea out of the picture, and by the time they got their act together the internet had arrived and their 900 # never did anything.
I feel pretty sure it was a toll free number, well before the internet. I am talking about the early to mid 80`s. I would have got a foot up my ass if I ran up a phone bill on 900 numbers (remember paying for long distance calls, brutal!)
GIwasB4
5/30/2019 3:35pm
motogrady wrote:
It's too clean. Everybody is so worried about the kids. Like its some kind of daycare or something. Throw in a dose of Burning Man at...
It's too clean.
Everybody is so worried about the kids.
Like its some kind of daycare or something.

Throw in a dose of Burning Man at every National,
and 4 years down the line you'll need a lottery to manage how many 16 to 40 somethings want to come.

That's what I think anyway.......
We used to have "burning couch" each year at High Point, does that count?
JustMX
5/30/2019 3:53pm
I feel pretty sure it was a toll free number, well before the internet. I am talking about the early to mid 80`s. I would have...
I feel pretty sure it was a toll free number, well before the internet. I am talking about the early to mid 80`s. I would have got a foot up my ass if I ran up a phone bill on 900 numbers (remember paying for long distance calls, brutal!)
I don't remember a toll free number to get results for free, ever....

I would have worn that out monday - wednesday, because cycle news came on thursday, usually.

And just for all the others that subscribed to cycle news east, I still " don't care how the hell they do it in california"!

BR8ES
5/30/2019 4:00pm
JustMX wrote:
1900 supercross? They lasted about a year until the different promoters realized they were missing out on a revenue stream. So they cut the guy with...
1900 supercross?

I feel pretty sure it was a toll free number, well before the internet. I am talking about the early to mid 80`s. I would have...
1-900-INF-MOTO

keepoffgrass
5/30/2019 4:05pm
Things change, nothing stays the same.

The very technology you guys are blaming for the decline of our sport is allowing you to bitch and moan about it from the comfort of your lay-z-boy while you binge-watch the latest crime drama on Netflix.

Indy mxer
5/30/2019 4:09pm
Direct TV and the app. The best of both worlds. We are really blessed to have what coverage we have compared to the past.
Yep. I've been with DirecTV since they started in 1996. And you can get it anywhere you live. Plus there's DISH, cable, streaming and the app. How many more ways do we need to watch mx?

But if you can't afford any of these options, you're not going to be buying a dirt bike anyway.
motogrady
5/30/2019 5:55pm Edited Date/Time 5/30/2019 5:57pm
motogrady wrote:
It's too clean. Everybody is so worried about the kids. Like its some kind of daycare or something. Throw in a dose of Burning Man at...
It's too clean.
Everybody is so worried about the kids.
Like its some kind of daycare or something.

Throw in a dose of Burning Man at every National,
and 4 years down the line you'll need a lottery to manage how many 16 to 40 somethings want to come.

That's what I think anyway.......
GIwasB4 wrote:
We used to have "burning couch" each year at High Point, does that count?
I believe that would qualify. Laughing

Morgantown. A kind of bubble really. Yes, the University is a big part of it. This time of year a lot of students are on summer break. There is a ton of medical related business also. Myland has a big plant here. OSHA has a massive building. In the town proper, and maybe 5 miles out, it's mostly professionals and professionals in the making.
5 miles out in most any direction, it's country, honey.

I tell you guys, if they could harness the spirit the Mountaineers get, HiPoint would be the craziest stop on the tour. Mountaineer football and basketball game days, this town is just about paralyzed. Many won't even go there on business
those days, that's how off the scale it gets.

I dunno, maybe a banner a month out letting people about HiPoint would help.
Right at the end of the main drag, at the edge of campus, believe it or not, right on High Street.
5/30/2019 6:05pm
Was it 1-800 PRO RACE or something along those lines?
mxtech1
5/30/2019 6:27pm
oldblood wrote:
step one: instead of showing the sport to the general public TV (possible enthusiasts), force people to get an app(not something that little johnny's mom is...
step one: instead of showing the sport to the general public TV (possible enthusiasts), force people to get an app(not something that little johnny's mom is willing to do).
What are you talking about? Media delivery and content is literally the best it's ever been. Streaming services and apps are the new norm.

oldblood
5/30/2019 7:22pm
oldblood wrote:
step one: instead of showing the sport to the general public TV (possible enthusiasts), force people to get an app(not something that little johnny's mom is...
step one: instead of showing the sport to the general public TV (possible enthusiasts), force people to get an app(not something that little johnny's mom is willing to do).
mxtech1 wrote:
What are you talking about? Media delivery and content is literally the best it's ever been. Streaming services and apps are the new norm.

Yes, all that is top notch and I realize that conventional tv will go away soon.
Let's see, how else I can articulate this. I was meaning more about making a strong effort to get the sport in front of people who aren't looking for it.
On basic cable television for now while it lasts. In the typical cable package that a restaurant or hotel would have. We need to try to grow the numbers. Of course there are other ways but this is the easiest way to introduce it to the masses.
NvHermit
Fantasy
4198th
5/30/2019 7:35pm
DirecTV's Family Package is only $29.99 a month and has both MavTV and NBCSN. It's hard for me to complain
h4ck.b0x7
5/30/2019 7:39pm
NvHermit wrote:
DirecTV's Family Package is only $29.99 a month and has both MavTV and NBCSN. It's hard for me to complain
Is that streaming or does it require TV equipment?
Frank
5/30/2019 7:42pm
I still miss the camping and weekend format of the outdoor nats. Hard to justify driving more than 4hrs each way for the 1 day format now.
toroP
5/30/2019 8:09pm
oldblood wrote:
Johnny is not watching TV. He’s on his iPad, where he can open YouTube, and watch tons of Bob Hannah footage, or Heikki Mikkola, or watch Brandon’s first race( the greatest moto film ever made), or study Herlings’ technique in the sand, in slow motion if need be.

Access is light-years beyond where it was when I was young.
oldblood
5/30/2019 8:14pm
oldblood wrote:
toroP wrote:
Johnny is not watching TV. He’s on his iPad, where he can open YouTube, and watch tons of Bob Hannah footage, or Heikki Mikkola, or watch...
Johnny is not watching TV. He’s on his iPad, where he can open YouTube, and watch tons of Bob Hannah footage, or Heikki Mikkola, or watch Brandon’s first race( the greatest moto film ever made), or study Herlings’ technique in the sand, in slow motion if need be.

Access is light-years beyond where it was when I was young.
Haha, okay please read my response to mx tech.
You know what I have to get to work on my son's bike I just can't type on this anymore maybe you guys are right maybe everything is just hunky-dory and the sport is growing by Leaps and Bounds new bikes are probably flying off the shelves so never mind.
soggy
Fantasy
3783rd
5/30/2019 9:11pm Edited Date/Time 5/30/2019 9:12pm
oldblood wrote:
mxtech1 wrote:

oldblood wrote:
Yes, all that is top notch and I realize that conventional tv will go away soon. Let's see, how else I can articulate this. I was...
Yes, all that is top notch and I realize that conventional tv will go away soon.
Let's see, how else I can articulate this. I was meaning more about making a strong effort to get the sport in front of people who aren't looking for it.
On basic cable television for now while it lasts. In the typical cable package that a restaurant or hotel would have. We need to try to grow the numbers. Of course there are other ways but this is the easiest way to introduce it to the masses.
do you think in this day and age people don't know what motocross or dirtbikes are? i just dont understand how you think putting it on basic cable which less and less people are using these days, especially young families (i dont know anyone in there 30's with kids that pay for cable/satellite). It's not about introducing to the masses everyone knows what it is, it's not the 70's anymore. maybe people don't know who Eli Tomac is but they know what dirtbikes are. It's about introducing it to people at the grassroots level and teaching people how to ride. Imagine a MX/offroad club with a fleet or easy to ride beginner bikes that were available for individuals curious about the sport to try without having to invest the money right away. I don't fault anyone for not wanting to drop thousands on a sport they don't know if they'll like. And yea they could buy a POS for a 1000$ but a bike that breaks all the time or needs a ton of work isn't going to get them too stoked.
soggy
Fantasy
3783rd
5/30/2019 9:15pm
Frank wrote:
I still miss the camping and weekend format of the outdoor nats. Hard to justify driving more than 4hrs each way for the 1 day format...
I still miss the camping and weekend format of the outdoor nats. Hard to justify driving more than 4hrs each way for the 1 day format now.
i dunno, i'd rather go watch pro's race on saturday and then actually go ride myself on sunday.
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
5/30/2019 9:20pm
If I was the boss of motocross, I'd advocate for...

More natural terrain tracks.
A reset on bike speed.
A dirt bike in every garage.
5/31/2019 12:24am
Nothing to do with broadcasting and dangerous tracks.

70% of the young generation in these days rather stay in bed or on the couch all day , playing videogames with a bag of Dorito's and a bottle of coke.

Rather than go out riding your dirtbike and getting dirty , and offcourse the big risk of getting tired.
KennyT
Fantasy
479th
5/31/2019 10:24am
I backed out of the participation part of the sport after turning 50 as my body just couldn’t take it anymore. Being in construction, if I were injured it was no income for me.

I steered my kids and grandkids away from it once the danger went from injuries to fatalities. A sport/hobby should not be life threatening and sadly that is what the modern era tracks have made MX. We used to be a family with grandpa/kids/grandkids all motoring around. No more. We had a close friend lose their promising mini racer at the age of 8. To me it’s just not worth the risk
5/31/2019 1:16pm
As someone who was sort of against buying the NBC gold app when it first came out two years ago I have to say it is 100% worth it. Especially this year that I was able to signup at the beginning of the year and not had to worry about it since. Although for supercross I did have to make sure I had VPN to use as I live in Canada but that was like $9 a month I think.

Also just an FYI to anyone who is like me and bought the Gold App outside of the US and use a VPN you don't have to for the outdoors. I figured that would be the case since the outdoors have always been available in many places outside of the US but I wasn't positive.
neverwas
Fantasy
868th
5/31/2019 5:15pm
JustMX wrote:
1900 supercross?

I believe it was called 1-900-moto-info
oldblood
5/31/2019 5:26pm
mxtech1 wrote:

oldblood wrote:
Yes, all that is top notch and I realize that conventional tv will go away soon. Let's see, how else I can articulate this. I was...
soggy wrote:
do you think in this day and age people don't know what motocross or dirtbikes are? i just dont understand how you think putting it on...
do you think in this day and age people don't know what motocross or dirtbikes are? i just dont understand how you think putting it on basic cable which less and less people are using these days, especially young families (i dont know anyone in there 30's with kids that pay for cable/satellite). It's not about introducing to the masses everyone knows what it is, it's not the 70's anymore. maybe people don't know who Eli Tomac is but they know what dirtbikes are. It's about introducing it to people at the grassroots level and teaching people how to ride. Imagine a MX/offroad club with a fleet or easy to ride beginner bikes that were available for individuals curious about the sport to try without having to invest the money right away. I don't fault anyone for not wanting to drop thousands on a sport they don't know if they'll like. And yea they could buy a POS for a 1000$ but a bike that breaks all the time or needs a ton of work isn't going to get them too stoked.
Believe it or not, the kids that go to school with my son and their parents (and the teachers ) have no clue what mx is. As I said earlier on this page.
I don't know if you have kids or what area you live in. It's pretty unbelievable to me, but that's what we've experienced.
It's good what frank Tuesday pointed out earlier, that 3 motos will be televised on basic tv, that good to hear.
Half of you say nothing is wrong, the other half says that the youth and the future is a lost cause.
But if you consider what Roger and the rest of the guys who introduced mx to the USA did, I think it's worth a discussion.
oldblood
5/31/2019 5:30pm
Again, we need to put it in front of people who aren't looking for it, in a good light. Little johnny will go nuts, dad will think it's a lot better than soccer, and who knows.
oldblood
5/31/2019 5:32pm
Now I need to wash and fix my son's bent and dirty bike. I love mx.

Post a reply to: the systematic destruction of the sport of motocross.

The Latest