the flag guys suck!

Related:
Create New Tag

1/14/2019 9:10 AM

I know everyone complains about the track guys doing terrible with the blue flags. But did anyone else notice how terrible the flagger did getting to Malcom with a yellow flag and making the riders go to the right of him?! How many guys came through the whoops and jumped over Malcom since he was laying on the backside of one? I couldn't believe what i was seeing, pathetic! rant over.

|

2015 Husqvarna FE501s
2020 KTM 250xc
2019 Yamaha YZ250F

1/14/2019 9:15 AM

They did a good job, it took the flagger time to run up to get in front of Stewart and when he got there he took control and handled it pretty good.

|

Ed Johnson

1/14/2019 9:17 AM

lostboy819 wrote:

They did a good job, it took the flagger time to run up to get in front of Stewart and when he got there he took control and ...more

Run is an overstatement. It was a slow walk at best.

|

1/14/2019 9:23 AM

I saw that. I was glad that he didn't get landed on.

|

1/14/2019 9:26 AM

After watching it again you can see the flagger is between the lanes where the ground is sloped, like trying to run on the side of a soft hill. Plus probably not the youngest or most athletic guy ether. Looked to me like he did the best he could.

|

1/14/2019 9:29 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/14/2019 9:29 AM

lostboy819 wrote:

They did a good job, it took the flagger time to run up to get in front of Stewart and when he got there he took control and ...more

PlainEnvelopes wrote:

Run is an overstatement. It was a slow walk at best.

Agreed, i think they could replace him with someone who can move a little quicker...

|

2015 Husqvarna FE501s
2020 KTM 250xc
2019 Yamaha YZ250F

1/14/2019 9:46 AM

vdrsnk04 wrote:

Agreed, i think they could replace him with someone who can move a little quicker...

If only they could the same with the lappers.

|

1/14/2019 10:41 AM

When he crashed I was holding my breath thinking "a flagger needs to get in position to protect him!". But I'm hesitant to criticize as things happen very fast, and it's easy to think that I'd have done better when I'm sitting in my living room.

|

Current rides: 2021 TM 144, 2008 YZ250

1/14/2019 10:45 AM

This reminds me of when Weston Peick crashed and everybody complained about the medical staff. They, just like this flagger, didn't do anything wrong. You people are just upset about the way it looked on TV from the comfort of your homes.

|

Instagram: vanillaice782
Amateur helmet painter

1/14/2019 10:46 AM

I found it comical in the press conference when Daniel Blair tried to make excuses for the restart flagger not knowing what he was doing which screwed with the riders. He told the riders that the flaggers don’t have much practice with the single file restart either. No excuse.

|

1/14/2019 10:48 AM

I was screaming at the TV telling the guy to move. He sat there flagging well behind Malcolm for the longest time, and didn't start to move to protect him for what seemed like forever. I felt the same way as the OP.

|

1/14/2019 10:56 AM

Squirrelings wrote:

I found it comical in the press conference when Daniel Blair tried to make excuses for the restart flagger not knowing what he ...more

I might be alone on this one, but I feel like Daniel Blair is always making excuses and trys to sensor riders from speaking there mind. Again, I might be alone on this, but to me he is the worst and is the only one of the broadcaster/trackside reporter/commentator that bugs me. Can't stand it.

|

1/14/2019 10:58 AM

CR92 wrote:

I might be alone on this one, but I feel like Daniel Blair is always making excuses and trys to sensor riders from speaking ...more

Totally agree. His bias toward his employer is somewhat understandable, but sickening. He’s a former racer. You’d think he would keep his mouth shut.

|

1/14/2019 11:02 AM

vdrsnk04 wrote:

I know everyone complains about the track guys doing terrible with the blue flags. But did anyone else notice how terrible the ...more

The flagger before Malcolm has the job of slowing and directing not the guy that was past Malcolm

|

1/14/2019 11:06 AM

Squirrelings wrote:

I found it comical in the press conference when Daniel Blair tried to make excuses for the restart flagger not knowing what he ...more

CR92 wrote:

I might be alone on this one, but I feel like Daniel Blair is always making excuses and trys to sensor riders from speaking ...more

Squirrelings wrote:

Totally agree. His bias toward his employer is somewhat understandable, but sickening. He’s a former racer. You’d think he ...more

I thought that too, but I don't think he says it because it's employer. Personally, and I could be completely wrong because I don't know the guy, but I kind of just think he's a self righteous douche. You can see it in a lot of his past interviews. Doing stuff like telling the riders to watch their language because they said "shit" or something along those lines.
Others will probably disagree, and I could be wrong. Just my thoughts from the couch.

|

1/14/2019 11:08 AM

vdrsnk04 wrote:

I know everyone complains about the track guys doing terrible with the blue flags. But did anyone else notice how terrible the ...more

That was the middle of three lanes, so there were no flaggers stationed alongside that section.

You probably couldn't see them, but there were yellow lights at the beginning of the section.

|

1/14/2019 11:10 AM

Speaking of flags, anyone see how much time Anderson made on Roczen through the red cross flags? Roczen went through very cautiously, Anderson definitely pushed it a bit to close the gap

|

1/14/2019 11:11 AM

CR92 wrote:

I thought that too, but I don't think he says it because it's employer. Personally, and I could be completely wrong because I ...more

Yeah, I disagree. I thought the comment about the restart flaggers was intended more as humorous than anything else.

As far as him commenting on the language? They do try and keep it professional in there. For example, you'd probably get called you out if you were in the press conference, and suggested someone was a self-righteous douche.

|

1/14/2019 11:41 AM

Also kind of like complaining to a referee. Easy to point fingers at a flagger but there’s a lot going on. Until you’ve flagged it’s easy to criticize.

|

1/14/2019 11:59 AM

Crisp BRAAAP! wrote:

I was screaming at the TV telling the guy to move. He sat there flagging well behind Malcolm for the longest time, and didn't ...more

He has his own safety, too. How loud it is down there, between lanes, looking for bikes coming and where other flaggers/medics are coming from. If someones already committed through that lane from before the flags not much he can do. Standing in front of Malcolm and getting hit isn't going to protect Malcolm.

|

1/14/2019 12:51 PM

Squirrelings wrote:

Totally agree. His bias toward his employer is somewhat understandable, but sickening. He’s a former racer. You’d think he ...more

CR92 wrote:

I thought that too, but I don't think he says it because it's employer. Personally, and I could be completely wrong because I ...more

GuyB wrote:

Yeah, I disagree. I thought the comment about the restart flaggers was intended more as humorous than anything else.

As far ...more

Well you would know better than I. So I guess am in the wrong then. Live and learn, right?
When he makes those comments then, is it more of him trying to make a joke? Like, if I knew him I'd pick up on that better?
As far as the language, would them using "shit" really take anything away from the press conference? I'm not saying they should be dropping f-bombs or anything.
I'm honestly curious to know your opinion on this one and I hope I'm not coming off as a smartass or anything.

|

1/14/2019 1:08 PM

CR92 wrote:

Well you would know better than I. So I guess am in the wrong then. Live and learn, right?
When he makes those comments then, ...more

Well, he was following up on a couple joking comments that the riders had made. In that context, that's how I took it.

As far as the language, it's a press conference setting, and being livestreamed or recorded for later upload. They want it to be professional and showcase the sport that way. If it comes from a place where a rider is fired up about something? Maybe it fits. If it's just gratuitous and unnecessary, I'd guess they get called out.

|

1/14/2019 1:10 PM

GuyB wrote:

Well, he was following up on a couple joking comments that the riders had made. In that context, that's how I took it.

As far ...more

Daniel said the language comment was a joke like you are saying his comment about the flaggers was. Who knew we had a comedian directing the press conferences.

|

1/14/2019 1:11 PM

CR92 wrote:

I thought that too, but I don't think he says it because it's employer. Personally, and I could be completely wrong because I ...more

At lest he's not calling someone a "a self righteous douche" immediately after prefacing the sentence with, "I could be completely wrong because I don't know the guy."ermm

|

1/14/2019 1:43 PM

Derpin' DJ wrote:

Speaking of flags, anyone see how much time Anderson made on Roczen through the red cross flags? Roczen went through very ...more

I noticed that too. It looked like he was right on him at the end of that lap

|

Instagram: vanillaice782
Amateur helmet painter

1/14/2019 1:47 PM

Anyone notice the flagger standing in the middle of the track when Eli was coming into the corner after the lcq pile up?

|

1/14/2019 2:02 PM

jbrass715 wrote:

Anyone notice the flagger standing in the middle of the track when Eli was coming into the corner after the lcq pile up?

Haha yeah, was just about to post this! He was standing there like he was about to red flag the race and Tomac even checked up. Wtf was his deal?

|

#1
KX125

1/14/2019 3:26 PM

Photo
Photo

Not a good look
|

1/14/2019 3:41 PM

Stubbsy21GoPro wrote: Photo
Photo

Not a good look

I thought that he was looking back to check that medic flag, and cursing himself, but I guess it could be the guy that's in the middle of the track.

|

Instagram: vanillaice782
Amateur helmet painter

1/14/2019 3:45 PM

actual footage of flagger running to get in front of the incident

Photo

|