stupid old school guy

Mr. G
Edited Date/Time 2/20/2013 8:50am
Remember back when everyone wore chest protectors? We hear all the time about the roost from a 450 being so brutal but you rarely see anyone wearing a chest protector of any real size. Remember those chest protectors that also had forearm protection? Can't remember the name but I had one and it didn't seem to cause any movement problems and I always felt a little safer wearing one. Anyway just wondering.
|
zehn
2/18/2013 6:53pm
I still wear a Thor Aftershock. No sense in taking a rock to the sternum.
Sandberm
2/18/2013 6:57pm
I never had problems with my Flak-Jak with the arm gaurds cut off. In fact I felt like it saved me a time or two from injury
2/18/2013 6:59pm
When I see a photo of someone wearing a chest protector it's almost always for Throwback Thursday or Flashback Friday!

I still wear one, but I'm old!
6-wheelz
2/18/2013 7:15pm
Mr. G wrote:
Remember back when everyone wore chest protectors? We hear all the time about the roost from a 450 being so brutal but you rarely see anyone...
Remember back when everyone wore chest protectors? We hear all the time about the roost from a 450 being so brutal but you rarely see anyone wearing a chest protector of any real size. Remember those chest protectors that also had forearm protection? Can't remember the name but I had one and it didn't seem to cause any movement problems and I always felt a little safer wearing one. Anyway just wondering.
I think most guys wear them under the shirt these days.

The Shop

FlickitFlat
Fantasy
662nd
2/18/2013 7:28pm
I hadn't worn one in years, then I decided just out of the blue to get one. I wore it twice then I put a scratch on it.. Umm, I mean I demolished it. I'm sure glad I was wearing it because I think I would have been seriously hurt without it. We were doing a little GNCC type riding and was motoring down an old road. I was in 5th gear, cruising at speed, whellied through a shallow creek that ran across the road. I didn't see a rock about the size of a basket ball and endoed hard landing right into a rock bed. This was one of the more brutal wrecks I've ever had as far as gear was concerned. I ruined my Shoei, ripped the ass out of my No Fear Pants, ripped the arm of my jersey, Broke my goggle strap, ripped off my front fender and number plate, bent my subframe, my silencer, dented my pipe, bent my front wheel, bent my handlebars and both levers and even ruined the kills switch. I even lost my bike for a couple of minutes. lol. I came to my senses in the road and looked around and couldn't find my bike. It was no where in site because it went over the damn hill and laid next to the river the creek ran into. I severely broke my index finger and got a concussion. Here are some pics of the Chest protector. I highly recommend this protector, because in all, I was very lucky and it did its job because I didnt' even so much as have sore ribs or a scratch underneath it and I landed in a rock garden upside down at probably 60 mph.

Mr. G
2/18/2013 10:27pm
Wow.
Slow450
2/18/2013 10:38pm
Mr. G wrote:
Remember back when everyone wore chest protectors? We hear all the time about the roost from a 450 being so brutal but you rarely see anyone...
6-wheelz wrote:
I think most guys wear them under the shirt these days.
x2, There are 5-6 under the jersey options that offer way more protection than the Fox Roost 2s, Thor Scattershields and HRP Flak Jacks that used to be so popular. The companies are finally offering actual impact protection instead of roost only. Leatt, Alpinestars, and Fox all offer pretty good under jersey protectors that are a good compromise between protection and comfort. You don't have to be NHL chic to be protected anymore.
daveoevo
2/18/2013 11:08pm
Ryan Hughs always boasted that he never wore chest or back protectors as the roost would get him angry and make him charge to the front.
I have always used a over the shirt stile body protector and like wise never felt restricted on the bike at all. At the end of the day having to give up riding beacuse of injury is less cool than wearing body amour.
2/19/2013 12:38am
daveoevo wrote:
Ryan Hughs always boasted that he never wore chest or back protectors as the roost would get him angry and make him charge to the front...
Ryan Hughs always boasted that he never wore chest or back protectors as the roost would get him angry and make him charge to the front.
I have always used a over the shirt stile body protector and like wise never felt restricted on the bike at all. At the end of the day having to give up riding beacuse of injury is less cool than wearing body amour.
I always liked Hughes, but I don't think that worked out well for him.

I get distracted, for a faction of a second, if I'm not wearing one and get hit hard, in the chest hard.
Lone Wolf
2/19/2013 1:08am Edited Date/Time 2/19/2013 1:10am
Your jersey will protect you. Pussies.
Ryno23
Fantasy
891st
2/19/2013 6:19am
Lone Wolf wrote:
Your jersey will protect you. Pussies.
Ronnie Mac doesn't need the jersey. Even Chuck Norris thinks Ronnie is the man.
motofab36
2/19/2013 6:37am
I hadn't worn one in years, then I decided just out of the blue to get one. I wore it twice then I put a scratch...
I hadn't worn one in years, then I decided just out of the blue to get one. I wore it twice then I put a scratch on it.. Umm, I mean I demolished it. I'm sure glad I was wearing it because I think I would have been seriously hurt without it. We were doing a little GNCC type riding and was motoring down an old road. I was in 5th gear, cruising at speed, whellied through a shallow creek that ran across the road. I didn't see a rock about the size of a basket ball and endoed hard landing right into a rock bed. This was one of the more brutal wrecks I've ever had as far as gear was concerned. I ruined my Shoei, ripped the ass out of my No Fear Pants, ripped the arm of my jersey, Broke my goggle strap, ripped off my front fender and number plate, bent my subframe, my silencer, dented my pipe, bent my front wheel, bent my handlebars and both levers and even ruined the kills switch. I even lost my bike for a couple of minutes. lol. I came to my senses in the road and looked around and couldn't find my bike. It was no where in site because it went over the damn hill and laid next to the river the creek ran into. I severely broke my index finger and got a concussion. Here are some pics of the Chest protector. I highly recommend this protector, because in all, I was very lucky and it did its job because I didnt' even so much as have sore ribs or a scratch underneath it and I landed in a rock garden upside down at probably 60 mph.

LOL I was reading too fast and skipped a line, for a second I thought you said you looked around and couldn't find your index finger!
nb11
2/19/2013 6:45am
I started wearing a chest protector when I was a kid because my dad was worried and made me wear one. I still wear it, and feel naked without it. I've had a cheap-o Thor quadrant protector for several years now, and I'm certain it has saved me from injury. The shoulder cups are all scraped up, and I can imagine how my shoulders would look if I didn't have at least the plastic and thin foam over them. And I'm about to finally join the world of neck braces.
gotwings
2/19/2013 7:19am
After having a wicked bar swap and breaking a rib without even crashing last year, I wear one always. The one I wear is made by Fly, and has a minimal foam back. Very comfortable.
2/19/2013 7:29am
Never worn one other than if I am at a track with a lot of rocks I'll wear one of those under jersey things that is just thin foam on the front.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
2/19/2013 7:49am Edited Date/Time 2/19/2013 7:49am
When I was 15 I got chewed up in my buddy's spinning rear wheel and it hurt - bad. I've worn a chest protector on every ride since (and that was in 1986.) I'm pretty sure my chest protectors have saved me from several injuries in that time.
motofab36
2/19/2013 8:13am
gotwings wrote:
After having a wicked bar swap and breaking a rib without even crashing last year, I wear one always. The one I wear is made by...
After having a wicked bar swap and breaking a rib without even crashing last year, I wear one always. The one I wear is made by Fly, and has a minimal foam back. Very comfortable.
The Pivotal Lite? That what I wear.
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
2/19/2013 8:45am Edited Date/Time 2/19/2013 8:46am
Chest protectors are uncomfortable as hell. You know what's even more uncomfortable? Broken ribs and ruptured aortas. They really slow your flow.
FlickitFlat
Fantasy
662nd
2/19/2013 8:48am
motofab36 wrote:
LOL I was reading too fast and skipped a line, for a second I thought you said you looked around and couldn't find your index finger!
LOL, well it kinda freakin felt like it so you wasn't that far off. If I was only paying attention at the time, I'm pretty sure it was pointing in the direction of my bike.
Back to chest protectors. When I was little my Mom wouldn't let me ride without one. That was the rule. I guess it made her feel safer. I used to wear those big ass Oneal ones. They were bulky but I got used to them but I do remember times I'm sure they saved me some pain and injury. Years later, when I purchased this one and an identical one like it afterwards, I was looking for a hard shell one. I bought that expensive TLD one for $199 and sent it back because basically it was just foam. It was not at all what I was expecting. I had a real hard time finding a traditional hard shell front and back style protector. That is when I ran across the Fox airframe. It seemed like it was the last thing on the market of the style I was looking for. I really don't own much any Fox gear and I'm not selling the damn things, but I'm sold on them. Actually, I take that back, between the 2 I purchased and from a few of my friends, I probably have sold about 8 of them. lol If your old school, this is the most old school protector I've been able to find.
2/19/2013 8:56am
Mr. G wrote:
Might be thinking about the Hallman. I had one but didn't have the optional forearm protection.
2/19/2013 8:57am Edited Date/Time 2/19/2013 8:59am

Hallman, of course at southwick it was more protection from bike parts than the sand. Did put a hole it in once from falling on a footpeg but no damage to me - probably just lucky.
Mr. G
2/19/2013 12:22pm
Mr. G wrote:
Might be thinking about the Hallman. I had one but didn't have the optional forearm protection.
That's it! I loved that thing. I loaned it to a friend and never saw it again.
yota
2/19/2013 1:17pm
retrofun
2/19/2013 1:48pm
I wear a thor impact rig under my jersey, last year i lost it in a tight corner with loose dirt, swapped it and caught a handlebar in the chest, missed my chest plate by an inch and cracked 2 ribs...

I remember one day i forgot it, and rode with just the jersey.. i felt naked.. and free, HA!
E-man811
2/19/2013 1:56pm
I've always worn one and I'm convinced that they have prevented more serious injuries on numerous occasions.
Flatliner
2/19/2013 1:56pm
I will use an RXR protect until the day I die. I know it's saved me breaking bones.
yz414
2/19/2013 2:52pm Edited Date/Time 2/19/2013 2:52pm
never rode without one. just bought this and love it.
Top End
2/20/2013 8:50am
When I go into battle on the MX track I wear one of these plus a chest protector. I'm old and over 200ibs when I hit the ground I want to get up and keep riding. So I might be a stupid old guy?

Post a reply to: stupid old school guy

The Latest