springfield, Illinois tracks?

darmstadter
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 1:56pm
Anyone know of any tracks or riding areas in the springfield Illinois area?
Had some family just move to the area and want to bring my bike when I visit.
Thanks
|
davis224
Fantasy
138th
4/27/2008 6:58pm Edited Date/Time 4/27/2008 7:00pm
^ yup. $12 a day to ride, my house is about 30 miles away. Prep days are usually thursdays. Should be about 1/2 hour 20 minutes away depending on what side of springfield. The next closest track is either casey or crossroads, about 2 hours south. Where'd the family move to?
darmstadter
4/27/2008 7:02pm
My mom just moved to a town called Girard that I believe is south of springfield.
davis224
Fantasy
138th
4/27/2008 7:10pm
you should be even closer then, but if you go on a weekday when they haven't prepped it in a few days, be prepared for some wicked hardpack. the track is in between taylorville and kincaid on route 104, can't miss it. A couple signs, and last time I was there (been in ohio for school for close to a year, haven't seen the track since september) there was a massive pile of woodchips. the track is pretty long, but very fast so you'll be turning lap times under 2 minutes easy. I've spun thousands of laps at that place.

The Shop

JYZ566
4/27/2008 9:02pm
Yeah taylorville isn't bad most of the time. You're pretty close to Crossroads (mason, IL) and Casey (greenup, IL) which are both pretty sweet tracks. A little farther south is Paradise Motocross Park (duqoin,IL) and down close to St. Louis is Archview MX, which is a really cool track. Hmmm, you also have Euro Raceway in Nashville, IL, and the track in Salem, IL is really fun. Mt. Byron is up by chicago, but that place rules too.
darmstadter
4/27/2008 9:20pm
I use to race in Illinois back in the 70's and early 80's. Byron has been around for years.
I think most of the tracks I raced at are closed now. Sparland, Tampico, Harding and I believe Maplehurst are all closed. I have heard Keithsburg is still open for riding but no races any more.
Thanks for all the info. I just bought a new bike after a 24 year layoff from motocross.
I got the bike this week and I'll be tacking it to a track this weekend here in the Omaha, Nebraska area.
wardy
4/27/2008 9:44pm Edited Date/Time 4/16/2016 6:45pm
Sparland, Tampico, Harding and I believe Maplehurst

your old school with those names thats for dam sure.

walnut is the track by tampico. Harding is extinct for a long time and now is a duck pond.
MapleRock is a stone quarry.

Sparland is a just a nice camping spot for about three families.

not to worry, www.amadistrict17.com has a list of all the tracks in the area, you have a boat load to choose from. then you have a bunch more places to ride also.

what classes did you race back in the day?
darmstadter
4/27/2008 11:44pm
I rode the 100 class from 1976 thru 1980 then the 125B from 81 till 83 then moved to florida and raced there thru the 84 season and that was it.
I grew up in ottawa. we had alot of good riding areas around there. many good racers came out of ottawa.
Jon_Haynes
Fantasy
1185th
1/24/2011 6:24pm
HEY darmstadter, I raced the 100 class in 80-81 125a in 82 I just started riding agian last summer.what was your name and # if you dont mind.My dad did the trace announcing at most of the tracks from late 70's to mid 80's.
ktmmcc24
1/24/2011 7:08pm
Sunset Ridge MX is absolutely amazing, it's in Walnut, IL. Seriously the best track in Illinois. It's probably too far north for you, but it would definitely be worth the drive. Bob Pistol the track owner track prep is pristine. He even helps out at the Red Bud national.

Byron is okay, it's a fun safe track. Mt Carroll (mc motopark) is also really fun. They have this huge whooped out uphill sand kinda sweeper towards the back of the track that is a blast. That track is crazy fun to ride.

I'm not that fast by any means, but here are some helmet cams I have of Walnut, Byron, and Mt Carroll.

Byron

Mt Carroll

Walnut

Damn, I hate being injured... Can't wait till I'm home in March to go ride.
mxrider94
1/24/2011 7:15pm
Archview MX... Have few practices open to public, but normally huge turn-out when they do. Right outside St. Louis on Illinois side of River.
Also, Taylorville, Walnut, Byron, Casey are also good as others have stated.
davis224
Fantasy
138th
1/24/2011 7:23pm
3 year old thread got me all excited to flex my local track knowledge muscles. Fully agree on Walnut being the best track in IL though.
grover738
1/24/2011 7:25pm
I'd second ktmmcc24 - Mt. Carroll is crazy fun. Safest jump filled track you'll ever ride. So many jumps you can hit WFO, that uphill whoop section is great, even lots of fun drop-off jumps, great dirt, great viewing.

Keep the opinions on IL tracks coming - I like to head down in April for some early season riding when things are still mucky up here.
ktmmcc24
1/24/2011 7:28pm
Haha man I totally didn't even realize the date on the thread... I too got excited about it. Except now I'm living in NJ and I don't even have a bike out here. Nor am I cleared to go ride yet.
davis224
Fantasy
138th
1/24/2011 8:20pm
grover738 wrote:
I'd second ktmmcc24 - Mt. Carroll is crazy fun. Safest jump filled track you'll ever ride. So many jumps you can hit WFO, that uphill whoop...
I'd second ktmmcc24 - Mt. Carroll is crazy fun. Safest jump filled track you'll ever ride. So many jumps you can hit WFO, that uphill whoop section is great, even lots of fun drop-off jumps, great dirt, great viewing.

Keep the opinions on IL tracks coming - I like to head down in April for some early season riding when things are still mucky up here.
Archview is also a great track. tons of technical jumps, but all are safe. Dirt is really silty, gets super rough and rutted. On a flat piece of ground but is still fun as hell. Casey has the potential to be the best track, but the dirt is beat to hell (been around since the 70s), and they keep throwing in wierd thigns in the track design that are ruining the fun IMO. Crossroads is a super fun track, technical, ruts up and gets rough, but dries out VERY fast on race day. I've been told it's gotten better since I was last there. I've spun thousands of laps at South Fork, so of course the layout is stale to me. The jumps are safe and easy (save for maybe one triple triple, not do or die, but its not fun to case) they're open everyday and you never know when they may decide to prep it. Depending on when the last prep was and how well they did it, the dirt is anywhere from deep soft and brown to perfect tack to blue groove.

Post a reply to: springfield, Illinois tracks?

The Latest