something has to change

Related:
Create New Tag

9/8/2013 5:36 AM

So after reading about Christian Craig's retirement and how hard it is for riders outside the top 10 to make a decent living, its got me thinking what can we do to make a change? If you can qualify for a national, you should get payed enough not to struggle and make actually make a comfortable living out of racing, otherwise we will continue to lose riders like Christian. Sure we need better television coverage, more sponsors and the rest of that stuff. But as the fans, we are ultimately in control, no fans means no money. So what can we do to make a change? I sure as hell don't know, but we can't sit around and watch the sport fall apart, come on Vitards! it's up to us, we've been waiting for change for too long and nothing has happened! Viva la revolution!

|

9/8/2013 5:43 AM

Sounds like from the interview that he retired because of injury. A fused wrist, not good. If he would have not been hurt and put in results he would have a TLD ride correct?

|

9/8/2013 5:49 AM

A pro rider (I wont name) was telling me that last year he got a top 15 at a supercross race and I think he got $400 for it. I could be wrong but I think thats what he told me. Thats is a complete joke that these guys go out there and work so hard and risk there lives for that kind of money. A 15th place at the Daytona 500 will get you $334000 and LAST PLACE will bring home $265000. That is a joke ,Put me in a good car and I have a chance of qualifiying for the Daytona 500 but Put me on ANY bike and I dont have a chance in hell of making a SX race or a national.

|

9/8/2013 5:55 AM

Yeah, but MX is not nascar and never will be. Nascar is not football and never will be. Sports like MX have room to grow but it will never ever ever be a NASCAR. No need to even pull numbers and compare.

|

9/8/2013 6:09 AM

Sponsors dont pay as much because it doesn't have as many viewers as the other sports.

|

9/8/2013 6:15 AM

okay good, so how can we as viewers get more viewers, or get ourselves a better tv deal? sure mx will probably never be as big and pay as big as nascar, but surely you would think the premier motocross championship in the world could make enough money to pay the riders enough to secure a living for them. its pathetic. But i don't see why it couldn't be as big as nascar, it's more exciting to watch. another thing is, maybe the tv broadcast should show all the battles in the field, not ryan villopoto trail riding on his own.

|

9/8/2013 7:24 AM

This isn't any different from any other sport or performing art. A few outstanding performers make it big but the rest struggle.
You can't expect people to pay for somebody else's hobby.

|

man who runs in front of bus gets tired. man who runs behind bus gets exhausted

9/8/2013 7:35 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/8/2013 7:37 AM

My theory on why the sport doesn't get more viewers like other sports is not very complex. I think the reason other sports have so many viewers is because people can relate to the sport and have a sense of what it's like to at least participate. For the most part, everyone has played ball sports growing up, so they have a sense of respect for the game. Everyone drives, so they have a sense of respect for the speeds NASCAR achieves.

The difference is, a very small percentage of a percentage has ever swung a leg over a motocross bike. As a result, they have no idea what is going on or how difficult it is. When someone watches Miguel Cabrera launch a home run, they are in awe because they have probably played baseball before and know how hard it is to hit a home run. When they watch lebron dunk, they have played basketball before and know how high the rim is and what a feat it is to jump that high and dunk. When they watch clint bowyer drive 200 mph with a pack of cars inches away, they have driven a car at 80 mph on the freeway and realize how crazy it is to go over double that. But what do they see when they watch rv, dungey, Stewart, etc launch a triple or blitz the whoops? TV doesn't do justice for these feats and honestly doesn't come off as that impressive on a television broadcast, so people can't relate to it and, in my opinion, aren't drawn to watch it.

I think that is why the majority of people who watch the races are all either riders or people that have at least ridden before because they can appreciate how difficult, dangerous and just badass motocross is. And let's face it, motocross isn't exactly the easiest or most feasible of sports to break into. Honestly, to even figure out if you even like it or not takes a realistic investment of AT LEAST a couple grand. Take into account that a baseball glove, bat and cleats will set you back a few hundred. A basketball can be bought for $20. And all these sports can be played everyday, anywhere and for zero extra money. That is certainly not the case for loading up a bike, driving to the track that is probably not that close, buying fuel, fixing broken parts, etc. Look, we all love mx and don't see these things as huge obstacles because we are probably going to find a way to do so. But to an outsider, it may not seem worth it.

Sorry that's so long winded.

|



9/8/2013 7:35 AM

Markee wrote:

Sounds like from the interview that he retired because of injury. A fused wrist, not good. If he would have not been hurt and ...more

That's what I got from it as well. Now lance vincent's retirement seemed to be from both money and injury issues.

|

9/8/2013 8:04 AM

hvaughn88 wrote:

My theory on why the sport doesn't get more viewers like other sports is not very complex. I think the reason other sports ...more

Well said, I think you're spot on there.

|

9/8/2013 8:06 AM

hvaughn88 wrote:

My theory on why the sport doesn't get more viewers like other sports is not very complex. I think the reason other sports ...more

This.

|

9/8/2013 8:09 AM

Everyone wants to play "capt. save a ho" when it comes to MX, and then the discussion always goes into some weird "well fare" conversation of, save the privateers, everyone should get their "Fair share"

I for one don't care...The money issues are based on the economy of the country, and the sport as a whole. Both aren't good.

AND IT WILL NEVER, EVER, EVER, BE AS GOOD AS IT WAS IN THE '02-'06 TIME FRAME BEFORE THE ECONOMY CRASHED

Trying to save the sport through a message board won't happen. People like DC are actively saving MX...And SX has NEVER been more popular commercially.

|

2012 CRF250R #946



"Stop being a dipshit, and we'll both be less aggravated" - GuyB

9/8/2013 8:10 AM

If anyone thinks MX/SX is suffering...

look at AMA roadracing...once bigger than MX/SX in this country...they're grand finale at laguna seca isn't even going to be on TV....

And we're pissed because we don't have 100% live streaming of MX!

|

2012 CRF250R #946



"Stop being a dipshit, and we'll both be less aggravated" - GuyB

9/8/2013 8:14 AM

hvaughn88 wrote:

My theory on why the sport doesn't get more viewers like other sports is not very complex. I think the reason other sports ...more

Very well put. You hit the nail on the head.
People just don't appreciate how difficult motocross is unless they've done it. As you said, it looks easy on tv.
Hockey has the same problem. The sport is totally different live. The speed of the game just doesn't come thru on tv.
Same with mx.
Tv doesn't seem to capture the true size of the jumps and the brutality of sport.

|

9/8/2013 8:17 AM

I disagree.

Do you NOT see all the people at supercross?! No way all of those people are "riders"...i think the HUGE crowd draw to SX are the same people filling monster trucks etc.

I really don't think Supercross has been this popular, primetime TV, they even had that tool from some '80s hair band do a song, and that guy is front row to all the reality TV melt down. You think he wasn't pimping SX to complete non motorcycle people?

SX is growing, look at the revenues....

Sadly, AMA road racing is dead.

|

2012 CRF250R #946



"Stop being a dipshit, and we'll both be less aggravated" - GuyB

9/8/2013 8:19 AM

It's funny you mentioned hockey because I am 100% guilty of that. I never watched hockey growing up because I never played (obviously arkansas isn't exactly a hot bed for sports played on ice, haha). But I had a cousin from San Francisco that came and lived with me for a couple years and he played hockey growing up. So I watched some games with him and he took the time to explain everything to me and we went to a couple minor league games. Now I have newfound respect for the game and actually enjoy watching it.

|



9/8/2013 8:21 AM

jleews6 wrote:

A pro rider (I wont name) was telling me that last year he got a top 15 at a supercross race and I think he got $400 for it. I ...more

If we put you in a Sprint cup car you would be wadded into the wall within seconds if you were anywhere near qualifying speeds. Ask RC or MC, two of the most talented riders on earth, how easy driving in a circle is. Both of them have failed 4 wheel careers.

It's all about TV. When millions all over the world will tune into MX on major networks then the riders will make more, but don't hold your breath

|

9/8/2013 8:30 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/8/2013 8:43 AM

Can somebody explain to me how "Fair" races are able to post larger pro purses then nationals? There were two local races the week before the Washougal national that posted larger purses then the national. To be honest I can't even find the national payout schedule posted anywhere- probably too embarassed to show it publicly. The "Chaos at Castle Rock" 7/13 purse was $20,000. The Thursday night MX 7/13 purse was $15,000.

|

9/8/2013 8:32 AM

pummel wrote:

Can somebody explain to me how "Fair" races are able to post larger pro purses then nationals? There were two local races the ...more

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Because guys at the nationals make money from sponsors and outside endorsers...

Not purses.

|

2012 CRF250R #946



"Stop being a dipshit, and we'll both be less aggravated" - GuyB

9/8/2013 8:35 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/8/2013 8:36 AM

I'm not an old guy yet...

But damn, the 30 second board used to be held by some guy...did anyone know his name that wasn't big into SX?

Nope.

Everyone now wants to rail the person holding the 30 second board. And she's not getting paid peanuts to be there...

|

2012 CRF250R #946



"Stop being a dipshit, and we'll both be less aggravated" - GuyB

9/8/2013 8:42 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/8/2013 8:43 AM

Life has changed since the 70s. Most people live in cities where you can't even fire up a dirtbike. Oh and another thing>>>>>FOUR STROKES DUUH AND another thing. While it is hard to complain about the quality of the s/x show, the ama does not care about anything except Harley Davidson.

|

9/8/2013 8:43 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/8/2013 8:43 AM

pummel wrote:

Can somebody explain to me how "Fair" races are able to post larger pro purses then nationals? There were two local races the ...more

Socket946 wrote:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Because guys at the nationals make money from sponsors and outside endorsers...

Not ...more

Costs are more than rewards plain and simple. If Craig could make a living and put a little away for his retirement, he would probably chug along with it. I would guess that the whole scraping by thing gets old especially with the high risk.

|

9/8/2013 8:52 AM

|

9/8/2013 9:18 AM

I can understand that Davey and MX Sports don't have the attendance or tv numbers to support better purses for the events (they're still lightyears ahead of GP payouts). But, there's absolutely no excuse that Feld can't put up more purse money based on attendence money alone- at the very least some rider insurance. As stated before in this thread, Supercross consistently puts up astounding attendence numbers.

|

9/8/2013 9:23 AM

hvaughn88 wrote:

My theory on why the sport doesn't get more viewers like other sports is not very complex. I think the reason other sports ...more

Nailed it. Close thread.

|

9/8/2013 9:24 AM

DC does tend to come on here. I'd really like to hear his opinion on this subject. I still haven't been able to find a posted purse schedule for the nationals does anyone have one?

|

9/8/2013 9:47 AM

other variables as well.
ball sports = big $.
cheaper for youngsters to get started,school backed,ample areas to practice such sports.scholorships also
even cycling and bowling have $ issues .they have school support as well.so then you look at spectator visibility....
confused yet? golf...

|

9/8/2013 10:01 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/8/2013 10:01 AM

This sport is a pimple on the pimple on a horses ass.

It's on a par with BMX , shifter cart racing or downhill MTB etc - NOT with Nascar, MotoGP, or any form of ball sport.

We all care about it but the vast majority of people see it as a bunch of dumbass rednecks tearing about in the dirt. There has never been much money in it - I've been in it since the early '70's - and never will be.

Get over that and enjoy it for what it is.

|

I've been here 17 years , am I still English, man ???

9/8/2013 10:12 AM

Socket946 wrote:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Because guys at the nationals make money from sponsors and outside endorsers...

Not ...more

Tell Weston Peick that!

Doesn't take long for "welfare" to enter the conversation in these threads

Nobody is saying 10-30 at the nationals are expecting big time money. But the fact that they make as little as they do is a complete joke. Just ask some of them

The promoters and Mx Sports could certainly do a little more but they never will. Why? They don't have to

That said riders getting decent results could market themselves better and find some sponsorship $$ outside of the sport imo.

|

9/8/2013 10:16 AM

englishman wrote:

This sport is a pimple on the pimple on a horses ass.

It's on a par with BMX , shifter cart racing or downhill MTB etc - NOT ...more

motoGP, like roadracing in America, is dying. Huge on the world stage, just not here.

|

2012 CRF250R #946



"Stop being a dipshit, and we'll both be less aggravated" - GuyB