somebody please tell me why the red flag

BobbyM
Edited Date/Time 2/4/2015 12:42pm
was thrown on lap 6 and who made that call?
|
Crush
2/1/2015 9:27pm
Gallagher because Osborne's gate never dropped.

Rulebook states they should restart in the case of a gate malfunction.

Assumably it took 6 laps to look at replays. Which they now like to do. Apparently.
CR250Rider
2/1/2015 9:32pm
I agree 6 laps in is ridiculous. .halfway through lap 1 would be more like it
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
2/1/2015 9:34pm
Make a call too fast? Get crucified.
Make a call too slow? Get crucified.
Skippie
2/1/2015 9:34pm
I can kinda get it, at first glance it looks like Osbourne jumps the gate instead of it dropped.

The Shop

Crush
2/1/2015 9:35pm
GuyB wrote:
Although I think somewhere between 38 seconds and 6 or so minutes seems ok... Time isn't really the issue.
BobbyM
2/1/2015 9:37pm
GuyB wrote:
Different circumstances guyb. i assume cox got into these guys heads? 2 more laps and race is called...correct?
JeepnMike
2/1/2015 9:39pm
GuyB wrote:
BobbyM wrote:
Different circumstances guyb. i assume cox got into these guys heads? 2 more laps and race is called...correct?
Sweet! Maybe we can blame / fire Cox? Tongue
Skippie
2/1/2015 9:48pm
BobbyM wrote:
No I believe the rule book states that a gate malfunction calls for a complete restart no matter when the red flag is thrown.
TheWeapon
Fantasy
53rd
2/1/2015 9:56pm
GuyB wrote:
Correct. Make a call in a reasonable amount of time? Goes unnoticed. An official is certainly a thankless job (or at least very low in thanks...).
jasonv43
2/1/2015 10:31pm
The only thing I was thinking was maybe they weren't going to get it fixed in time for the 450"s???
wardy
2/1/2015 10:38pm
i hope they learn from this and "test" the gate before each drop take about 20 seconds and would help keep this from happening again.

and maybe have a way to "replay this" so a referee can see it faster then what it took.....

just make the process more efficient. it's supposed to be the top of the motorcycle racing heap right?

2/1/2015 10:43pm Edited Date/Time 4/6/2015 2:57pm
ACBraap
Fantasy
564th
2/1/2015 11:03pm
They made the right call this time, and explained it in a timely manner. So an improvement over the last issue. Emig and Ralph concluded the gate malfunctioned in a much more timely manner IIRC. I was surprised it took 6 laps to get the flag thrown.
nytsmaC
2/1/2015 11:30pm
ACBraap wrote:
They made the right call this time, and explained it in a timely manner. So an improvement over the last issue. Emig and Ralph concluded the...
They made the right call this time, and explained it in a timely manner. So an improvement over the last issue. Emig and Ralph concluded the gate malfunctioned in a much more timely manner IIRC. I was surprised it took 6 laps to get the flag thrown.
I'm guessing the officials had to review tape to determine whether it was the gate that malfunctioned, or if it was Osborne. Can you imagine the meltdown around this place if they red flagged the race right away and the replay later showed that Osborne jumped the gate?
Spydee
2/1/2015 11:58pm
Zach had to argue his case, no? I'm assuming he didn't even leave the gate within those 6 laps hence why he argued a restart. Hear the way Gallagher goes "well apparently the gate didn't drop for one of the riders"... Apparently?? It wasn't exactly a fart in a jacuzzi.
Chadillac661
2/2/2015 12:12am
Something tells me if the rider involved would have been a privateer it would have been a different story. Osborne stated in an interview after the race that his team manager "went to bat" for him. That's a PC way of saying it took six laps of arguing with the officials to get the flag thrown. I find it surprising that the same official who supposedly reviewed Reed's incident was able to watch the replay and decide to black flag him in 30 seconds but this week it takes 6 laps to figure out the gate didn't drop?

I have raced redneck tracks in the middle of nowhere run by toothless hillbillies and they never took more than one lap to throw the red flag for a starting incident. The most professionally(?) run race series in the world (for dirt bikes) takes six laps to accomplish the same thing? I can only imagine the jokes at the weekly riders meeting at each SX round. I would be surprised if there is one guy on the starting line at this point that has any respect for the integrity of the rulebook and officials that enforce it.

Gallagher needs to go work at Taco Bell, he is much better qualified for employment of that caliber. The inconsistency shown in recent events is a huge black eye for a sport that has come a long hard way to become what it is today.
Clutchy
2/2/2015 12:22am
GuyB wrote:
That's a face palm if ive ever seen one.
wow123
2/2/2015 2:10am
GuyB wrote:

timing is everything in many things,

mis-time a triple, it hurts
mis time a joke, no one laughs
mis-time music, it sounds shit
mis-time rulings, look like amateurs

everyone makes cock-ups and when you do you have to wear the blame

0-2 and lets not count the "non-rulings".

2/2/2015 2:34am
Spydee wrote:
Zach had to argue his case, no? I'm assuming he didn't even leave the gate within those 6 laps hence why he argued a restart. Hear...
Zach had to argue his case, no? I'm assuming he didn't even leave the gate within those 6 laps hence why he argued a restart. Hear the way Gallagher goes "well apparently the gate didn't drop for one of the riders"... Apparently?? It wasn't exactly a fart in a jacuzzi.
Yeah he needs to choose better words IMO - there was no apparently about it.
2/2/2015 2:38am
#991 wrote:
and I liked this too and I was chuffed it was a full restart and not cut short - ok a couple of guys got the better of it than the did in the initial start but that's racing.

sidenote - gutted for the way it turned for Stewart
Trauma
2/2/2015 2:59am
I thought Gallagher gave a spot on explanation how it went down (no pun intended).

9/10 when this sort of thing happens it's because the rider hit the gate, they had to make 100% sure it was the gate that malfunctioned. I can only guess at how long it took them to access a replay in order to make the call, in the mean time they would have been fixing the gate itself.

I don't think there was any errors at all in the way it was handled.
jamma10
2/2/2015 3:46am Edited Date/Time 2/2/2015 3:53am
Something tells me if the rider involved would have been a privateer it would have been a different story. Osborne stated in an interview after the...
Something tells me if the rider involved would have been a privateer it would have been a different story. Osborne stated in an interview after the race that his team manager "went to bat" for him. That's a PC way of saying it took six laps of arguing with the officials to get the flag thrown. I find it surprising that the same official who supposedly reviewed Reed's incident was able to watch the replay and decide to black flag him in 30 seconds but this week it takes 6 laps to figure out the gate didn't drop?

I have raced redneck tracks in the middle of nowhere run by toothless hillbillies and they never took more than one lap to throw the red flag for a starting incident. The most professionally(?) run race series in the world (for dirt bikes) takes six laps to accomplish the same thing? I can only imagine the jokes at the weekly riders meeting at each SX round. I would be surprised if there is one guy on the starting line at this point that has any respect for the integrity of the rulebook and officials that enforce it.

Gallagher needs to go work at Taco Bell, he is much better qualified for employment of that caliber. The inconsistency shown in recent events is a huge black eye for a sport that has come a long hard way to become what it is today.
What is wrong with you people, seriously?

You think Gallagher was focussing solely on Osborne as the gates dropped? My bet is the Husky mechanics were the only people in the whole stadium who were.

Assuming Gallagher missed it in realtime (as most of us did) someone will have had to bring it to Gallaghers attention, by approaching an official who could make radio contact with him or physically making their way to Gallagher in the tower themselves.

The officials would have had to request replays to prove if Osborne hit the gate, or whether it simply didn't drop. Maybe they even had guys analysing the mechanism on the gate itself.

According to Nerds "friend at Feld" replays are broadcast on the big screen at the same time as they are on TV. The replay wasn't shown until the 4th lap on the TV. Maybe they weren't able to get a replay until then?

The fact is, none of us have any idea how long any of these steps took, so you can't criticise the length of time it took for them to red flag the race. Unless of course you have a preconceived cynical and irrational opinion of Gallagher and the AMA/FIM...

Whether you thought it was correct or not, the Reed/Canard incident happend right under his nose which is why he felt able to make that decision so quickly.
35smom
2/2/2015 4:13am Edited Date/Time 2/2/2015 4:18am
Come on......maybe you guys should consider 6 laps was about 5 minutes? I'm sure they went directly to the gate to see if it really was a malfunction or Osborne's fault. That's not a decision you make from watching a replay. Geez
Insider347
2/2/2015 4:30am
Something tells me if the rider involved would have been a privateer it would have been a different story. Osborne stated in an interview after the...

This guy gets the issue.
30 seconds to black flag and ruin a title shot
6 laps to determine if gate malfunctioned
WTF
jamma10
2/2/2015 4:42am Edited Date/Time 2/2/2015 4:53am
35smom wrote:
Come on......maybe you guys should consider 6 laps was about 5 minutes? I'm sure they went directly to the gate to see if it really was...
Come on......maybe you guys should consider 6 laps was about 5 minutes? I'm sure they went directly to the gate to see if it really was a malfunction or Osborne's fault. That's not a decision you make from watching a replay. Geez
How could they rule out the possibility that Osborne launched early and hit the gate before it dropped simply by looking at the mechanism?

They would have had to look at the footage to confirm whether he went early, or whether the gate didn't drop at all.
wreckitrandy
2/2/2015 4:50am

'Gallagher needs to go work at Taco Bell,,,,' I might need some career advice as well sir. You seem to have found your calling as 'internet complainer dude'. I see by your obvious contempt for redneck, toothless hillbillies and Taco Bell employees, that one must have a good bit of self esteem to aspire to such a lofty position as yours. I guess a man needs to do what he's good at. I appreciate the inspiration.
PRM31
2/2/2015 4:56am Edited Date/Time 2/2/2015 5:01am
I'm guessing they just thought he jumped the gate. It wasn't until they started seeing replays that they realized it was a malfunction and not him simply jumping the gate. They would have had to be absolutely sure it was they gate malfunction before making the call for the red flag. Once they did, they made the call. It was the right decision and I'm sure they made it as soon as they had the information that beyond any doubt it was a gate malfunction.
Jroc
Fantasy
2533rd
2/2/2015 5:26am
6 laps is only 5-6mins which means they reacted pretty quickly while still being thorough and watching the replay.
blusmbl
2/2/2015 5:36am
Jroc wrote:
6 laps is only 5-6mins which means they reacted pretty quickly while still being thorough and watching the replay.
x2. This is the internet, people are going to bitch if the sky is blue and birds are chirping. The restart had to happen once they determined Zach didn't jump into the gate.

Post a reply to: somebody please tell me why the red flag

The Latest