sand

Edited Date/Time 1/7/2015 2:01pm
sand riding tips, please help
|
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
1/3/2015 10:35pm
Move a little farther back than usual, stand more. Listen to guys who ride Southwick instead of crusty old 2-strokers like me.
JB479
1/3/2015 10:38pm
Possibly ask the member who's username is "Sandberm".
Maybe he could help you out?
MXant15
Fantasy
802nd
1/3/2015 10:40pm
Don't bury the front wheel by over aggressive cornering. Stand more. Try to carry momentum (mass+Velocity). You're welcome.

The Shop

Tumic
1/4/2015 2:38am
Ask Herlings and Cairoli. And what ever the american MXDN team says about sand riding, do the opposite...
AB#81
1/4/2015 2:41am Edited Date/Time 1/4/2015 2:44am
move your bars back a little more, stand a lot more with more weight over the rear of the bike letting it do all the work, keep the front as light as possible, and try to jump as far as possible on jumps, less time in the deep sand the better. Also try to keep momentum as much as possible, smooth throttle, riding slow in sand is harder
1/4/2015 2:42am
Tumic wrote:
Ask Herlings and Cairoli. And what ever the american MXDN team says about sand riding, do the opposite...
WoohooTongue
Tumic
1/4/2015 2:44am
Jokes aside, here is a good video: http://youtu.be/hCdwjpn0Wes

The US riders tend to be over aggressive in the sand and over ride the bike to hard.

When it comes to sand we talk pourcel smooth and dont ride the berms to hard.
1/4/2015 3:28am Edited Date/Time 1/4/2015 3:30am
drop your forks down. few clicks stiffer on front forks. sand tire will help a lot.
use your legs (not hands) and throttle to keep the front end light.
even on braking keep the gas on a little. control the clutch on braking. be smooth on braking.
keep your weight back. let the bike to move around and dont fight it.
dont rev the engine. you need as much traction as possible.
stand up on your pegs as much as possible.
be creative with your lines. sand track is changing after every lap. be ready for new lines. look far ahead.

remember - fast is smooth. smooth is fast!
good luck practising!
1/4/2015 4:15am
Make sure you have decent tires and bike is full of coolant.

I love riding on sand!
AB#81
1/5/2015 2:34am Edited Date/Time 1/5/2015 2:35am
I'm riding a 125, does that mean there's a different set of skills?
not really, same riding technique, just keep it in as high a gear as possible, with smooth throttle control, too low gear will spin the back wheel too much meaning no traction
Jimfunn
1/5/2015 2:52am Edited Date/Time 1/5/2015 2:55am
I'm riding a 125, does that mean there's a different set of skills?
how deep sand are we talking? Might wanna go up on main jet on 125.
At Dunkirk last week (very cold, about 5deg C & sea level) it's very deep and on a completely standard YZ125 we used a 470 main and it was spot on with 32:1.

We stuck a sand tire on, steel sprockets and it was fine. I wouldn't make any drastic changes to the suspension and balance of the bike until you've spun a few laps & depending on what the track is like.

1/5/2015 3:33am
i'm am literally a mile from the beach, its terrible. fun, but mostly terrible, this is the only riding i can do so i'm trying to figure a way to concur it. its kinda tight too, mostly 180 degree turns and i'm finding it hard to keep up momentum in them...
Jimfunn
1/5/2015 6:58am Edited Date/Time 1/5/2015 6:58am
i'm am literally a mile from the beach, its terrible. fun, but mostly terrible, this is the only riding i can do so i'm trying to...
i'm am literally a mile from the beach, its terrible. fun, but mostly terrible, this is the only riding i can do so i'm trying to figure a way to concur it. its kinda tight too, mostly 180 degree turns and i'm finding it hard to keep up momentum in them...
Slow into the turns and gas all the way through and out. Concentrate on making smooth arc'd turns and build momentum. I try to work on mid corner & exit speed and start out coming in a little slower.
Stand into the corner and sit as you turn in tighter turns where you have nice smooth berms. Play around with where you sit on the seat. On the little 125 you'll be sat fairly far back to get the back end to drive.
If its whooped-out sweepers then standup and keep it wide open. Grip with your knees when you are stood.

If you have stuttery braking bumps, play around with dragging the rear brake into the corner, keeping some throttle on.

FLmxer
Fantasy
898th
1/5/2015 7:30am
Slow the rebound front and rear for sand. Stay on top and carve don't be so concerned with the ruts just carve right through them.
Sandberm
1/5/2015 7:37am
JB479 wrote:
Possibly ask the member who's username is "Sandberm".
Maybe he could help you out?
Shocked

Thanks for the reference JBSmile

All the posts before me pretty much have it covered but I might add one tip that sometimes works in racing situations. Braking bumps can grow large going into 180 degree corners with the largest braking bump being the last before the main berm on the outside of the corner.

Try swinging wide out of the main line out in the smooth stuff entering the 180 degree corner then arc back across the track to use that LAST braking bump as a berm. If there is a rider in front of you this will work well to pass him as your momentum after using that last braking bump as a berm will carry you to the exit point of the turn in front of him for a clean block pass as he huck a bucks into the main berm and tucks his front wheel loosing momentum.

I had Dan Moore pass me in practice one time doing this move and I NEVER forgot it. Such a smooth energy conserving move.
lumpy790
1/5/2015 8:46am
+2 clicks compression and +2 clicks rebound for large rolling whoops.

brake earlier and get back on the throttle before the apex of the turn .... power through the turn
dehner47
1/5/2015 8:52am
Front end light and momentum momentum momentum!!
umagumadog
1/5/2015 8:57am
Take off your front brake lever and leave it in the tool box.
1/5/2015 9:19am
All i ever have ride was sand tracks so i'll chime in some of me experience.
First off you almost never wanna use the front brake because to my experience it locks the front wheel way to easy.
Standing up, really while riding sand you should almost never sit down except for thight turns. Try to use putting pressure with your knees on your bike so you have lots of control over the back end of the bike while being really stable. Keep in mind you do wanna keep a certain 'looseness' to let the bike automaticly flow into 'straight ruts' to prevent cross rutting.
I mostly rode 2 strokes and depending on how the sand is you do wanna kinda rape the clutch to keep the high rpm's going through corners. For the rest it's really just getting used to a soft surface to race on you will start to get a feel for it and start to like it the more you ride it. A big plus is that crashing hardly hurts in the sand so you have that Wink
CR250Rider
1/5/2015 10:40am
Keep the front-end light
Stay on the gas longer than you think, deeper into the turns
Sand does move when you hit it, so don't be afraid to bust through random bumps
Go faster than you would on dirt, because you can stop so much faster and bumps are smaller than they look.
Stand more
Put more gas in the tank, you'll use more.

Sand is my favorite surface!

7eleven
1/5/2015 11:43am
Sand rewards aggression so keep it pinned, use the clutch to control the power, don't use the throttle. Also, the bike turns best under power so you'll be steering it with the rear wheel. These are a few facts anyways. 711

Darryl916
1/5/2015 11:57am
Tumic wrote:
Jokes aside, here is a good video: http://youtu.be/hCdwjpn0Wes The US riders tend to be over aggressive in the sand and over ride the bike to hard...
Jokes aside, here is a good video: http://youtu.be/hCdwjpn0Wes

The US riders tend to be over aggressive in the sand and over ride the bike to hard.

When it comes to sand we talk pourcel smooth and dont ride the berms to hard.
1/5/2015 2:08pm Edited Date/Time 1/5/2015 2:09pm
i'm am literally a mile from the beach, its terrible. fun, but mostly terrible, this is the only riding i can do so i'm trying to...
You may try to turn your engine rpms (on neutral) little higher. It helps on tight turns to get the rpms up smoother and faster. It works for me.
1/5/2015 3:17pm
Growing up close to Croom I had no choice but to love sand, haha.. Best advice I have for sand is hold it wide open!
Titan1
1/5/2015 3:31pm
Don't use your front brake...turn with the back wheel (throttle)...stand up...let the bike do its thing under you (it'll move around a lot...just roll with it)...look way ahead...(all much easier said than done).

Oh, and my favorite sand riding tip, is to find another place to ride...I hate the sand...
1/6/2015 12:12am
Titan1 wrote:
Don't use your front brake...turn with the back wheel (throttle)...stand up...let the bike do its thing under you (it'll move around a lot...just roll with it)...look...
Don't use your front brake...turn with the back wheel (throttle)...stand up...let the bike do its thing under you (it'll move around a lot...just roll with it)...look way ahead...(all much easier said than done).

Oh, and my favorite sand riding tip, is to find another place to ride...I hate the sand...
im really thinking that last tip sounds the greatest!!

its my home track and im still working out how to water it so its really sapping all my power through deep turns Sad
slackinoff
1/6/2015 12:35pm
Keep at it! You probably will start to like the sand. I know it's my favorite type of track now.

Post a reply to: sand

The Latest