safest/most dangerous bikes?

Related:
Create New Tag

9/20/2020 8:13 AM
Edited Date/Time: 9/20/2020 11:03 AM

Who here gets a little fear on the bike from time to time?
The 450 feels like it gets out of control less often but when it does there is less saving it. The 250 2t gets wild a lot but I feel like I can save it and just keep the power on. Years ago on a 125 I could throw it sideways like I never have since then and with no consequence. The 250 4t bikes I have ridden are the easiest to ride.

I feel like I'm going back to the 250 2t soon because I feel a little safer when it gets out of control

safest bike

View Results

|

9/20/2020 8:17 AM

The 450 is the most dangerous because of how fast it goes and the inertia.
The 125 il less dangerous.
Between a 250f and a 250 2t i'd say the less dangerous is the 250f

|

rarararaataatatatata

9/20/2020 8:37 AM

The 125s purely because they are the lightest and even if they go 90/90 you can still muscle the thing back straight. I had all my biggest crashes on four strokes and they always seemed to drive you in to the ground much harder. In reality though you can crash your brains out on anything.

|

November 13th, Forever in our memories !!

9/20/2020 9:03 AM

If you're gonna put your health and well being in the hands of the type of bike you're riding, all I can say is "Best of luck".

|

9/20/2020 9:05 AM

CR500 most safestest...

|

9/20/2020 9:10 AM

Brad's got this one wright

|

9/20/2020 9:36 AM

Brad460 wrote:

CR500 most safestest...

I'm on board. Nothing safer than a bike you don't have to shift, ever.

|

9/20/2020 11:48 AM

03 KTM 250SX...most unsafe bind I've ever owned and ridden...Spent more time on the ground and hurt then actually riding.

|

9/20/2020 12:11 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/20/2020 12:12 PM

I say 250 4t is safest. I would say 125 but you have to be screaming or your not going anywhere. You can just ride slower and safer on a 250 4t when you are tired, which for me is after about 3 laps.

|

9/20/2020 12:29 PM

I'm going against the grain and saying the 450 is the safest for me, as I ride smooth and controlled and still at a decent pace. When I'm on smaller bikes the extra effort and aggression causes me to make more mistakes and take more risks

|

UK Vet rider - 2020 KX450

9/20/2020 12:44 PM

The most dangerous part of any dirt bike is the nut that connects the handlebars to the foot pegs.

|

9/20/2020 1:13 PM

I'd say the most dangerous bikes are the ones that try to buck you over the handlebars when you roll off the throttle, flame out when you hit the brakes, and give you 4th-degree burns if you lean up against them at the wrong time. Damn 4-stroke deathtraps...

|

Braaapin' aint easy.

9/20/2020 6:46 PM

Monk wrote:

03 KTM 250SX...most unsafe bind I've ever owned and ridden...Spent more time on the ground and hurt then actually riding.

Had one. Evil machine.

|

9/20/2020 7:22 PM

Brad460 wrote:

CR500 most safestest...

crowe660 wrote:

I'm on board. Nothing safer than a bike you don't have to shift, ever.

Well, that does make a case for an electric bike being the safest...

|

9/20/2020 7:41 PM

Husky/BMW 449 if we're gonna talk bike specific. Had 3 of them. First one crank snapped at 3 hours over the long back table top at speedworld in AZ. They gave me a new bike we tore it down and the new crank was way off. We rebuilt it trued , balanced and welded it. Clutch side with there wacky set up snapped off. Downhill triple at canyon raceway.4 hrs. Next one cam seized at speedworld vet track. I wouldn't take it out to the main tracks until i got ay least 7-8 hrs on it. It made it 4 hrs again. Still can't believe i walked away 3 times more or less unhurt. That 250f though was awesome once you did a little motor work and a revalve!

|

9/20/2020 8:00 PM

Monk wrote:

ATKpilot99 wrote:

Had one. Evil machine.

You are correct. Good friend of mine had one, rode it twice. First time, it hurt bad. Second time, hurt worse. He sold the bike soon after, we are still friends, as it hurt him as well. That bike was an evil bastard from hell..... The warnings printed on any owners manual, for any off road machine, sold in the USA, are printed solely based off experiences with the 2003 KTM 250SX. It's just 100%, concentrated, wrong......

|

9/21/2020 6:23 AM

If it’s a mechanical I would rather be on a two stroke. If the engine blows in the air you just pull in the clutch and try to land safe. Good luck with that on a 450.
If it’s not mechanical I would rate a big bore two stroke number one. The power is so abrupt it will put you on your head when you least expect it. Especially when you are tired.
My worst wreck ever was on a TM 300 MX a few years ago. Multiple broken bones and torn LCL and PCL.
I have had a 450 chase me down and break my collar bone twice. I had one bad wreck on a 250 two stroke but I blame the shitty suspension on the 2012 KTM more than the size of the bike.

|

9/21/2020 7:31 AM

Monk wrote:

ATKpilot99 wrote:

Had one. Evil machine.

I've got every size from 125/250 2T and 250f, 350f, 450f. I would say the safest is the 350. I've had many times not cleared a double on the 250f because of being in the wrong gear out of a corner. 350 has plenty of power to safely clear gaps but not wear you down like a 450. 250 2t is the most evil.

|

9/21/2020 7:33 AM

Monk wrote:

What was so horrible? Abrupt motor? Shitty handling?

I have a 2004 250EXC that isn't horrible. For sure not my first choice to ride, but not bad for some slow technical stuff.

|

Unleaded tastes a little tangy. Supreme is kinda sour, and diesel tastes pretty good.

9/21/2020 7:50 AM

Monk wrote:

ATKpilot99 wrote:

Had one. Evil machine.

dadofagun wrote:

You are correct. Good friend of mine had one, rode it twice. First time, it hurt bad. Second time, hurt worse. He sold the bike soon after, we are still friends, as it hurt him as well. That bike was an evil bastard from hell..... The warnings printed on any owners manual, for any off road machine, sold in the USA, are printed solely based off experiences with the 2003 KTM 250SX. It's just 100%, concentrated, wrong......

I also had an 03 250sx early on in my Mx times, I ended up on the ground very very often lol. The engine was so damn strong. I can distinctly remember tipping over in a corner picking it up in whatever gear it was and from a dead stop clearing a jump that on my previous bike had been a struggle to clear with a clean run in the corner.
The engine was bonkers. But maybe (definitely) too much for the rest of the package and too much for me at the time for sure.

It was a little lazy off bottom compared to a yz250 and then lit the after burners from there.

|

9/21/2020 7:51 AM

Monk wrote:

Rickyisms wrote:

I have a 2004 250EXC that isn't horrible. For sure not my first choice to ride, but not bad for some slow technical stuff.

Light flywheel make for a more that ramps up extremely fast and hit hard... Poor suspension combined with terrible frame geometry...The bike was just terrible all around as it was built "trying" to compete against 450s. The EXCs were quite different with a softer motor and suspension...

|

9/21/2020 7:52 AM

The one with the the least balanced suspension.....

|

9/21/2020 8:16 AM

Monk wrote:

I had an 03 125sx, easily the most dangerous bike I ever owned. That thing went into full on tank slappers several times, like what you see street bikes doing when someone puts a wheelie down crooked. Not exactly confidence inspiring.

|

9/21/2020 6:33 PM

Monk wrote:

Rickyisms wrote:

Monk wrote:

Light flywheel make for a more that ramps up extremely fast and hit hard... Poor suspension combined with terrible frame geometry...The bike was just terrible all around as it was built "trying" to compete against 450s. The EXCs were quite different with a softer motor and suspension...

The EXC isn't bad at all. I couldn't imagine trying to charge on an MX track with PDS. I don't think it would end well.

|

Unleaded tastes a little tangy. Supreme is kinda sour, and diesel tastes pretty good.

9/21/2020 7:50 PM

Photo
|

9/21/2020 9:30 PM

Photo
|

2 Stroke, Drum Brakes, Finned Cylinders!!!

9/21/2020 10:34 PM

Monk wrote:

Rickyisms wrote:

What was really scary about those ktms up until i think 2013 was when you were hammering down on one and the throttle cable pops out of the carb and get stuck wide open while riding. Instant full throttle with no way of shutting down.

|

9/21/2020 10:35 PM

Going to totally derail this thread and say who the heck doesn’t love a good xr75?

Carry on.

|

9/21/2020 10:36 PM

Pretty
Damn
Shi**y

|

9/22/2020 2:35 AM

Rickyisms wrote:

The EXC isn't bad at all. I couldn't imagine trying to charge on an MX track with PDS. I don't think it would end well.

They often have motocross tests in the enduro world championships... Seems to work just fine charging with the PDS. smile

|

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.