rotella t4 in the gearbox?

mooch
Fantasy
431st
1/26/2019 9:18am
Several years ago I tried both Rotella T4 and T6 in a KTM XC 300 with a Rekluse 3.0 and the T4 worked great but the T6 seemed to have a wee bit of slippage. Have since been running T4 in my YZ250, XC300 with a Rekluse and a post vintage 1984 RM250 and no issues so I'm happy with T4.
TD248
Fantasy
459th
1/26/2019 11:26am
Titan1 wrote:
Anyone still using Rotella with a rekluse? I was running it for years with no issues, then I happened to be on the phone with tech...
Anyone still using Rotella with a rekluse?

I was running it for years with no issues, then I happened to be on the phone with tech support at rekluse and they mention Rotella changed their formula and they no longer recommend it (this was maybe 2 years ago)? Rekluse is who recommended it to me in the first place.
This is exactly true, I was recommended by my engine builder whom I trust 1000% to use it in my race bikes in 2016-17 (with a rekluse) and never had an issue, but last year he said the same thing about them changing certain things and told me to stop running it and to start using Yamalube which is in the same price range as rotella.
thebleakness
1/26/2019 11:40am
+1 for T4. I've been running it for years in all my bikes and it's been awesome.
woodsryder
Fantasy
3303rd
1/26/2019 11:42am
kb228 wrote:
I tried rotella in my kx450 from all the hype on here and i noticed some clutch slipping. Went back to maxima/amsoil synthetic and it went...
I tried rotella in my kx450 from all the hype on here and i noticed some clutch slipping. Went back to maxima/amsoil synthetic and it went away. Guess it works for some and not others. I dont reccomend it to anyone due to my experience w it.
Did the same in my CRF250. Noticed the slipping with Rotella and switched to Honda HP4S and the slipping stopped.

The Shop

Alex.434
1/26/2019 11:42am Edited Date/Time 1/26/2019 11:44am
Alex.434 wrote:
About 5 years ago I spent way too much time reading dozens of forum posts across various motorcycle boards on this very topic: [b]The Great Rotella...
About 5 years ago I spent way too much time reading dozens of forum posts across various motorcycle boards on this very topic: The Great Rotella Debate

After getting exhausted by it all, I decided to say 'fuck it' and go all in on The Rotella Decision.

I've since run Rotella T6 exclusively in my fleet of bikes. Two stroke MX bike, four stroke offroad bikes, I-4 roadracing bikes, I-4 streetbikes, my UTV, truck, stick shift car. You name it, Rotella goes into it.

Not one issue. Case closed in my book.
Ramrod wrote:
This is as good an opinion as you could get. Tons of real world experience using the product. Thanks for sharing.
You're welcome.

This thread is indicative of the same endless debate that has been going on for years. ADV forums, MX forums, dual sport forums, roadracing forums. etc etc. All with the same comments.

For Example:
- Oh it doesn't work with Reckluse clutches. Nope it's the mutt's nuts with Reckluse!
- Oh it works fine in my 56 Chevy
- Johnny Razer the local engine builder swears by it!
- Oh it is made for diesels with low RPMs, bikes are high performance machines!! *Barcia rev*
- I called the manufacturer and they said this... Well my astrologist said that!
- You don't put crap in your body do you?! Why put junk your bike?? *while eating a Big Mac*
- Well I only use it in Vehicle A but not Vehicle B because reasons
- I don't like oil, I just run hair gel in my bike

I even read all those damn 'oil studies' that guys posted up on their old school websites after 'sending samples of each oil to an independent lab for testing'.

I have so many bloody vehicles to maintain in the shop (between the wife and I, we have like 12-14 vehicles) and trying to buy 6 different oils based on the color of the bike or phase of the moon was absurd.

Again, 5+ years of exclusive T6 with nary an issue across the gamut of machines. I buy it in 5 gallon jugs at the minimum now, and am thinking about buying the buckets. Love that volume value proposition!

It's god damn oil. Stop overthinking it.
mxracer71
Fantasy
2449th
1/26/2019 12:19pm
Thanks guys, i just wanted real opinions from real guys that use it. Seems like there is a lot more positive then negative. Again thanks guys and i will give it a shot

Post a reply to: rotella t4 in the gearbox?

The Latest