roczen trying to pass barcia

Related:
Create New Tag

1/17/2021 10:19 AM

does anybody else think he was being too nice? im not saying he should have slammed him but think he could have ran it in a little deeper and it still would have been considered clean racing.

|

1/17/2021 10:23 AM

oldandslow1 wrote:

does anybody else think he was being too nice? im not saying he should have slammed him but think he could have ran it in a little deeper and it still would have been considered clean racing.

He probably realized there was potentially more negative outcomes to that situation than positive ones.

|

1/17/2021 10:25 AM

GasGas paid Roczen off to pull up.....the directive came thru his onboard communicator.

wink

Yeah....it looked like he was playing too nice there. He had the speed. But he knows, it's never a good thing to "force" Bam Bam. The possibility of ending up on the ground and a 2nd place finish goes to 10th.

|

I was raised just off HWY 126 in the 80's.

1/17/2021 10:27 AM

LungButter wrote:

He probably realized there was potentially more negative outcomes to that situation than positive ones.

This, nothing more nothing less.

|

1/17/2021 10:33 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/17/2021 10:34 AM

oldandslow1 wrote:

does anybody else think he was being too nice? im not saying he should have slammed him but think he could have ran it in a little deeper and it still would have been considered clean racing.

No reason to press the issure because its only round one. You cant win the championship at round 1 but you can sure as hell lose it. and Barcia is not know for his consistency over a whole season either. cool

|

Ed Johnson

1/17/2021 10:35 AM

Depends what Kenny was thinking - track too hard to pass and get a decent gap so why risk it??

|

Now a member of the Orange brigade

1/17/2021 10:37 AM

There were a lot of off-camera choices like that by other riders. AP7, AC9, and a couple others I saw especially in the corner after the whoops and after the following rhythm section. That section had 2 clear options with the same basic speed, and if you were inside you could blast someone in the bowl turn.

I think a lot of guys didn't want to go hard in round 1 cause 1) it's early in the season and 2) the dirt was really tacky. so the move was truly a blast, not sliding on dry dirt into someone, so the risk was elevated. Look what happened to Tomac on Friese, and Harriman tried it after the whoops in the LCQ. He wasn't in position to make it work - he shoulda waited till the next corner since he was better through that section and would have been closer.

It was good racing in person - there was a lot going on that the cameras missed. The Barcia/Roczen battel was a good one to watch as well. Barcia had that quad dialed early and that made the difference.

Hammer 663s

|

1/17/2021 10:40 AM

I don’t think it was a bad strategy from Roczen, the whoop into that corner meant Kenny couldn’t really get fully along side Barcia and make the pass without forcing the issue, and if you do that with Barcia, you’ll probably have worse coming back. At round 1, maybe not worth the risk. He sat there and applied the pressure hoping it would force Barcia into a mistake big enough for him to pass him cleanly, which very nearly happened twice. All credit to Barcia though, he cleaned up the mistakes the last 5 mins and Kenny had no answer

|

1/17/2021 11:02 AM

There's a few things to consider. It's the first round. Second place is just as good as a top 5. there's no reason to hard charge for a pass that could end up putting you on the ground. The round one tracks are always pretty basic and most riders are just trying to get through it and hopefully getting a good position.

That said, Kenny isn't an aggressive rider so trying to pass someone who is is going to take a lot more than being just a tiny bit faster than the other guy.

|

1/17/2021 11:03 AM

lostboy819 wrote:

No reason to press the issure because its only round one. You cant win the championship at round 1 but you can sure as hell lose it. and Barcia is not know for his consistency over a whole season either. cool

This^^

|

1/17/2021 11:04 AM
Edited Date/Time: 1/17/2021 11:05 AM

Yeah, and start a cat and mouse thing with Barcia in round one, great idea!

|

1/17/2021 11:06 AM

A 2nd at round one is as good as a 1st in my book.

|

1/17/2021 12:06 PM

To me it looked like the corner was too rutted to slide into him

|

1/17/2021 12:15 PM

js451 wrote:

To me it looked like the corner was too rutted to slide into him

Thought exactly the same ! Hard to see on TV but i think it was really rutted so hard to put a clean pass. Congrats to Barcia the Redplate will look good at Round 2

|

1/17/2021 12:17 PM

downard254 wrote:

A 2nd at round one is as good as a 1st in my book.

Besides a 6 figure win bonus, yes.

|

1/17/2021 12:38 PM

I wouldn't so quickly say that he had the speed to make the pass... Lap times we're extrememly close the entire race. He also knew that he wouldn't be able to gap him and that Barcia would be doing the same thing right back to him. Probably more risk then he was willing to take at RD1.

|

'75-'83 through the minicycle boom.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was fast... But being fast is relative to who else is on the track with you.

ZachO fan! ZO16

TG243 fan!

1/17/2021 12:40 PM

Not a fan of the post crash k roc where he is super hesitant to pass.... dude should have won last night

|

www.bettercallsaul.com
Die Antwoord

1/17/2021 1:28 PM

oldandslow1 wrote:

does anybody else think he was being too nice? im not saying he should have slammed him but think he could have ran it in a little deeper and it still would have been considered clean racing.

1st race of 21 Bro. 2nd is just like a win right now

|

1/17/2021 1:30 PM

downard254 wrote:

A 2nd at round one is as good as a 1st in my book.

JazzyJJ wrote:

Besides a 6 figure win bonus, yes.

Yep, and a part in the record books with a win

|

1/17/2021 1:35 PM

For those saying a 2nd is just as good as a 1st, will you say the same thing if he loses the championship because of the 3 points he lost last night?

|

1/17/2021 1:41 PM

Kenny looked at the long picture ala Ryan Dungey style. No more, no less. He wants a championship.

|

"Life is Too Short To Last Long"

1/17/2021 1:43 PM

DK23 wrote:

For those saying a 2nd is just as good as a 1st, will you say the same thing if he loses the championship because of the 3 points he lost last night?

He won't lose by 3 points, unless they finish like this repeatedly... this field is way ways way too deep for a rc4/cr22 (04 or 05) 3 point spread finish

|

"Life is Too Short To Last Long"

1/17/2021 1:49 PM

DK23 wrote:

For those saying a 2nd is just as good as a 1st, will you say the same thing if he loses the championship because of the 3 points he lost last night?

Motodave15 wrote:

He won't lose by 3 points, unless they finish like this repeatedly... this field is way ways way too deep for a rc4/cr22 (04 or 05) 3 point spread finish

I'm going to suggest it will be the other way around... Because of the depth of the field, there will be more guys closer in points and you could easily have a low single digit champ battle at the end of this season.

|

'75-'83 through the minicycle boom.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was fast... But being fast is relative to who else is on the track with you.

ZachO fan! ZO16

TG243 fan!

1/17/2021 1:53 PM

Press516 wrote:

I'm going to suggest it will be the other way around... Because of the depth of the field, there will be more guys closer in points and you could easily have a low single digit champ battle at the end of this season.

I agree with you. I think it will be close and come down to the last race.

|

1/17/2021 2:28 PM

If ken would of made the pass with barley any contact barcia would of took it to the extreme the next corner and made some crazy contact and then cried about it. No one wants to touch barcia because he cant just accept he got passed and then makes it out like hes not the bad guy.

|

1/17/2021 2:50 PM

Barcia is not someone you want to make an enemy of first race of a long season.

|

1/17/2021 3:00 PM

Risking a dnf with this much talent in the field is not worth it. A podium at a race this year is probably more difficult to achieve than any year I can recall, even for the most elite. On the other hand, a dnf this year would also be much more difficult to recover from. Now more than ever consistency will win the championship.

|

1/17/2021 3:01 PM
Edited Date/Time: 1/17/2021 3:02 PM

downard254 wrote:

A 2nd at round one is as good as a 1st in my book.

JazzyJJ wrote:

Besides a 6 figure win bonus, yes.

Is a six figure win bonus worth an enemy later in the series when you have the points lead?

The wins will come, he was smart.

|

1/17/2021 3:02 PM

This should be called roczen trying not to pass barica. Obviously he didn't want to chance contact. But one time he could have passed without contact just took the line away. Good soild start for him anyway. Only thing about it is it could give alot of confidence to barica.

|

1/17/2021 3:11 PM

oldandslow1 wrote:

does anybody else think he was being too nice? im not saying he should have slammed him but think he could have ran it in a little deeper and it still would have been considered clean racing.

Too early in the season to be making enemies. Especially a guy like Barcia.

|