rmz-450 hare & hounds mods

Related:
Create New Tag

8/4/2020 6:36 PM

Hey guys, a friend of mine has just picked up a 2012 rmz-450, is intending to race with me at hare and hounds events, have no idea what gearing or suspension settings to recommend.

Any recommendations please ?

|

8/5/2020 5:17 AM

Kick start only and a 4 stroke? Rekluse radius X or CX would be the number one mod.

|

8/5/2020 7:44 AM

wrc777 wrote:

Kick start only and a 4 stroke? Rekluse radius X or CX would be the number one mod.

This....I ride a 2017 YZ450F, and the Radius CX is amazing. Never stall, works just as well as the Hinson clutch it replaced, and allows me to focus on riding instead of dreading stalling in tight stuff. I mainly stick with my 2017 because I don't want to give up my 3 gallon IMS tank (the newer YZ's use up a lot of that space with the battery, so I think 2.2 is the max, but I could be wrong).

Dead engine starts are a lot tougher, but can be good with technique...

Or your buddy could buy a KTM like everyone else...lol

|

8/5/2020 7:51 AM

RMZ is a straight up Motocross bike. Gonna be a long day regardless of how he preps the bike.

I ran mine in an off road event once and learned that they do not cross over very well.

That being said it’ll be a fun event that he can talk about for years.

|

8/5/2020 8:07 AM

Forty wrote:

RMZ is a straight up Motocross bike. Gonna be a long day regardless of how he preps the bike.

I ran mine in an off road event once and learned that they do not cross over very well.

un-modified mx suspension will definitely beat you up in a long desert race! I learned that the hard way; my stuff now is pretty dialed...never knew what I was missing until I had Dick's racing re-valve my KYB stuff...

|

8/5/2020 8:19 AM

Forty wrote:

I disagree, a RMZ 450 can be made to be perfectly fine in the desert.

As far as gearing, it depends on how fast your friend is. If he's not comfortable at desert speeds yet (newbie) stock is probably fine. On most 450s I think something in the neighborhood of 14-48 or even 14-49/50 is fine for 90% of people. Rare are the folks who actually use the top end pull of true desert gearing so it's not worth the sacrifice in the slower sections.

Suspension you want soft and stable, definitely drop the forks to level with the clamps. Not a ton of huge hits that will soak up all the travel in most desert races so I prefer on the softer side to not deflect as much off rocks etc.

It's a damn modern 450, it's a good ass bike. Make a few minor tweaks and pin that sucker!

|

8/5/2020 8:32 AM

Forty wrote:

LungButter wrote:

As far as gearing, it depends on how fast your friend is. If he's not comfortable at desert speeds yet (newbie) stock is probably fine. On most 450s I think something in the neighborhood of 14-48 or even 14-49/50 is fine for 90% of people. Rare are the folks who actually use the top end pull of true desert gearing so it's not worth the sacrifice in the slower sections.

Suspension you want soft and stable, definitely drop the forks to level with the clamps. Not a ton of huge hits that will soak up all the travel in most desert races so I prefer on the softer side to not deflect as much off rocks etc.

It's a damn modern 450, it's a good ass bike. Make a few minor tweaks and pin that sucker!

A desert sled is a different animal and I'll agree an modified RMZ can do that.

We have Hare Scramble races in the tight twisted woods over downed logs and from coolie to coolie through creeks up side hills and all sorts of shit and I'm saying my RMZ is not the right bike. I tried it and just barely got away with my life.

Can it be modified? Of course. But why? Get the right weapon for the job.

|

8/5/2020 8:43 AM

Forty wrote:

We have Hare Scramble races in the tight twisted woods over downed logs and from coolie to coolie through creeks up side hills and all sorts of shit and I'm saying my RMZ is not the right bike. I tried it and just barely got away with my life.

Well, he did ask for Hare and Hound mods so....

Also, I still disagree, the RMZ is widely accepted to corner excellent and your telling me it won't work in the woods? Someone should have told Josh Strang that when he won his GNCC championship on it tongue

Is it the best option on the market? No. Is it plenty capable for most guys? Yes.

|

8/5/2020 9:04 AM

Well, .....Shit.

Maybe mine wasn't set up right but I'll never single track it again.

|

8/5/2020 9:05 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/5/2020 9:06 AM

Forty wrote:

LungButter wrote:

Forty wrote:

RMZ 250 is perfect for woods racing any day.

In my opinion, and I’m not the best rider in the world. Taking my stock 18 Rmz450 was not that fun through tight tight woods sections. Long open stretches are fun, with some turns.

But single track where your bar ends are barely missing trees? There are better weapons for that than a RMZ 450

I will also add that I suck at single track stuff like that as well, so take that into consideration smile

|

8/5/2020 9:22 AM

Send Keefer an email, he's gotta have some knowledge from when Gary Sutherlin raced them.

|

8/5/2020 9:24 AM

OP is in the UK. Does hare and hound mean something different over there?

|

8/5/2020 9:52 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/5/2020 9:54 AM

I have 2018 RMZ450 setup for Hare and Hound. IMS tank, Pro Circuit Revalve (Nhha) spec, lean coupler, skid plate, fmf slip on, mx53 with tubliss at 9psi, Guts seat cover. Works for me hope this helps. Stock gearing

|

8/5/2020 10:13 AM

Forty wrote:

So is a KTM 450xcf, Honda 450RX, Husqvarna FX450, Kawasaki 450xc... (which all are essentially a MX models with 18in wheel, bigger tank and softer suspension)...

Pick up a cheap RMZ, throw a bigger tank, 18in wheel and get the suspension sprung and valved for your weight, speed and riding discipline—and you are dialed for offroad...

|

8/5/2020 3:32 PM

Monk wrote:

So is a KTM 450xcf, Honda 450RX, Husqvarna FX450, Kawasaki 450xc... (which all are essentially a MX models with 18in wheel, bigger tank and softer suspension)...

Pick up a cheap RMZ, throw a bigger tank, 18in wheel and get the suspension sprung and valved for your weight, speed and riding discipline—and you are dialed for offroad...

Ok.

|

8/5/2020 4:12 PM

Yep in the UK so desert racing is a little off, just by a few thousand miles ! Hare and hounds in the UK is roughly a 20 to 30min tops lap time, lots of logs, wooded sections, across ditches etc, I have a 200ktm and that is plenty enough for nearly all the races I have done.

And as someone said best mod would be to sell it and buy a KTM, but like all good friends do they listen to you?

Last time he rode was 10years ago on a cr250 where he broke his back in 3 places over a jump, went to see me race before covid and bought the first bike he saw local

|

8/5/2020 5:49 PM

Just about any 450 will be a lot (too much) for a newbie to woods riding who hasn’t ridden a bike in 10 years. Back the clickers off some. Other than that put in the slow fuel coupler and hope he doesn’t whiskey throttle into a tree.

|

8/5/2020 6:37 PM

Suspension should be number one priority to you.

|