rm 125 still competitive?

Related:
Create New Tag

2/27/2019 5:47 PM

got an 01 that i ride some times behind my ktm 125sx

I like the rm better than my ktm to be honest, turns better, like the ergos better, like the suspension better, 49mm showa revalved by factory connection.

my question is could my rm keep up with a new ktm/ husky/ yz? have some porting done but what else could i do to make it keep up.

p.s my rm has 23 original hours. so ill do a full rebuild in about 10hrs

|

Thanks to- Monster energy, Mika metals, DT-1 filters,Factory connection, works connection, factory effex,acerbis,O'Neal,Scott,Hann wheels,Maugra USA, Engine ice,Slick products,Leatt. Yes me sponsors are real.

2/27/2019 6:07 PM

Have you got a stopwatch?

|

Cheers, Crush
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2/27/2019 6:10 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/27/2019 6:14 PM

|

2/27/2019 6:16 PM

Your bike probably isn't that far off a yz125 but will take a bit of work to get to ktm/husky level motor wise.
I had an 04 model rm125 and when it was getting the gearbox rebuilt my mechanic put the flywheel on his lathe and took a little bit of weight off, cut the head and did some porting, made it come out of corners better. Match that with a pc pipe and muffler and you will have a fun bike

|

2/27/2019 6:18 PM

|

Thanks to- Monster energy, Mika metals, DT-1 filters,Factory connection, works connection, factory effex,acerbis,O'Neal,Scott,Hann wheels,Maugra USA, Engine ice,Slick products,Leatt. Yes me sponsors are real.

2/27/2019 6:20 PM

chump6784 wrote:

Your bike probably isn't that far off a yz125 but will take a bit of work to get to ktm/husky level motor wise.
I had an 04 model rm125 and when it was getting the gearbox rebuilt my mechanic put the flywheel on his lathe and took a little bit of weight off, cut the head and did some porting, made it come out of corners better. Match that with a pc pipe and muffler and you will have a fun bike

Going to get some more agressive port work and run some vp
Running a custom pipe and stock silincer
Made.most hp on the dyno
Think it is possible to get to a ktm power

|

2/27/2019 6:28 PM

gonna be an assload of work to get it to KTM level, what custom pipe?

|

vomiting equals disqualification.

2/27/2019 6:32 PM

BR8ES wrote:

Thats what i was thinking major porting and head mods to get it to ktm level, carb mods. Tom quoted me 500 to.get it close to ktm level.

Got a buddy who was hurt and wanted a project dropped off the bike 2 weeks later full custom cone pipe making more than fmf and pro circuit

|

2/27/2019 6:34 PM

BR8ES wrote:

brody wrote:

Thats what i was thinking major porting and head mods to get it to ktm level, carb mods. Tom quoted me 500 to.get it close to ktm level.

Got a buddy who was hurt and wanted a project dropped off the bike 2 weeks later full custom cone pipe making more than fmf and pro circuit

It would be awesome if you get it there for 500 bucks, but people spend way more on theYZs and they aren't quite there. A custom pipe will definitely help if done right. Looking forward to seeing this come along.

|

2/27/2019 6:39 PM

Thinking about slowley building it up in bike builds

|

2/27/2019 6:41 PM

love RMs, would enjoy seeing this.

|

2/27/2019 6:49 PM

Unless your racing pro level then you can get it close.. not very many people can ride a ktm/husky 125 to the max limit(sorry vital)... but you could make it a very good local racing bike and be competitive with the mods listed above.. also get a aftermarket clutch basket as those RM’s did have clutch issues might as well if your rebuilding...

|

2/27/2019 6:50 PM

so would i but cash is tight, i email tom at tmr and will see what he says , last time i floated the idea to him was 6 months ago. Twisted said they did not want to do it because they dont want to put any thing out there that would hurt them.
would love to do this then pick up some real kit suspension.
Bet i could send this idea to a few companys and get free parts.
shooting to be finished with this by lorettas next year.

|

2/27/2019 6:51 PM

What kind of spark plug are you running?

If you had a Full Floater it would be a no brainer. They STILL rock.

|

2015 Beta 500 RS, history: 99 KTM 300, 87 CR250, 84 KLR 600, 82 GPZ 550, 81 KX 250, 80 KX 250, 79 Montesa 414 VE, 78 250 VB, 77 360 VB, 76 360 VA, 75 YZ 125, 74 TM 125, 72 TS 125, 60's West Bend Go Boy Kart

2/27/2019 6:53 PM

mwssquad827 wrote:

Unless your racing pro level then you can get it close.. not very many people can ride a ktm/husky 125 to the max limit(sorry vital)... but you could make it a very good local racing bike and be competitive with the mods listed above.. also get a aftermarket clutch basket as those RM’s did have clutch issues might as well if your rebuilding...

This is true with most bikes but i can tell with the bottom hit and the ktm will pull on top, Called hinson and got a full hinson set up.
shooting to bring this bike to lorettas in 2020

|

2/27/2019 6:53 PM

Of course it's competitive! As is!... Just depends on who is twisting the throttle!

|

2/27/2019 6:55 PM

I was told this from an engine builder.. Photo

|

2/27/2019 6:58 PM

Johnny Depp wrote:

What kind of spark plug are you running?

If you had a Full Floater it would be a no brainer. They STILL rock.

the NGK R6918B-8 its a speical plug for the rm 125 as it was crushing electrodes, had a buddy run a br8es and the electrode broke off ran in between the cylinder and piston a few times hit the head, told him to stop found the electrode in the pipe.
i run the recommended plug now.

|

2/27/2019 7:00 PM

I have an RM 134 and it _can_ keep up with a KTM/Husky 125, but not easily. I have to really ride it hard and take advantage of the superb turning ability. If the guy on the KTM/Husky is an equal or better rider... I'm toast. My son has a KTM 150 SX and he SMOKES me. When he was on his (now "my") KX 125, I could keep him within a straightway. Last time out, on the KTM 150, he lapped me in 12 laps.

I'm a little faster on our KX 125 than the RM because the KX is pipey and _forces_ me to stay in the upper RPM's more. But I have to ride as hard as I possibly can to stay with a KTM/Husky.

|

2019 KTM 150 SX
2015 Yamaha YZ 250

2/27/2019 7:02 PM

zac_k3 wrote:

tom told me he could pump out as much as a mod ktm.
i think its all the guy who does the work, only issue with the rm is the power valve.
tom said with his porting a vhm or phat head and porting he could get it.
he offered to pay for new top, balancing the crank and rebuilding it and all the gaskets i just had to pay for porting because he wanted to see what it turned out like.

Who was the guy who said this

|

2/27/2019 8:10 PM

Sorry, but the only way a 2001 rm125 will keep up with a ktm 125 is if you strap a rocket to it.

I have both bikes FWIW

|

2/27/2019 8:19 PM

If you're slow, racing against other slow people, then you will be fine. If you're fast, racing against other fast people, then no.

However, if you are slow, racing against other slow people, then you shouldn't be putting money into making the bike faster. It will be harder to ride, and you will be even slower in the end.

|

2/27/2019 8:29 PM

zac_k3 wrote:

brody wrote:

i think its all the guy who does the work, only issue with the rm is the power valve.
he offered to pay for new top, balancing the crank and rebuilding it and all the gaskets i just had to pay for porting because he wanted to see what it turned out like.

Didnt you post on here , monster was helping you?

|

2/27/2019 8:40 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/27/2019 9:33 PM

zac_k3 wrote:

brody wrote:

mxb2 wrote:

This young man has said Monster was sponsoring him, Factory Connection, DT1, Acerbis and I'm sure there were more. Now TMR is going to mod his RM and all he has to pay for is porting. Must be the next RC4.

|

2018 KX450F
2005 KX250
2003 KDX 220
1984 KX 80
1982 RM 80
1980 RM 80
1977 XR 75
1969 Honda Mini 50

2/27/2019 8:47 PM

brody wrote:

mxb2 wrote:

dkurtd wrote:

This young man has said Monster was sponsoring him, Factory Connection, DT1, Acerbis and I'm sure there were more. Now TMR is going to mod his RM and all he has to pay for is porting. Must be the next RC4.

Yea, just want monster wants a dude on a 18 year old rm. Lol.

|

2/27/2019 8:49 PM

Obviously this kid is figuring a few things out, so a nice golf clap to all the adults making fun

|

2/27/2019 8:50 PM
Edited Date/Time: 2/27/2019 9:11 PM

mxb2 wrote:

dkurtd wrote:

mxb2 wrote:

Yea, just want monster wants a dude on a 18 year old rm. Lol.

I'm trying to figure out how you get all those sponsorships and don't even exist in the AMA race results database. I guess they like to sponsor young men on 18 year old bikes with no past notable results. Lol.

|

2018 KX450F
2005 KX250
2003 KDX 220
1984 KX 80
1982 RM 80
1980 RM 80
1977 XR 75
1969 Honda Mini 50

2/27/2019 8:58 PM

Bruce372 wrote:

Obviously this kid is figuring a few things out, so a nice golf clap to all the adults making fun

Lying is not figuring things out .

|

2/28/2019 3:52 AM

2000 125's hp vs. 2018 125's hp.
Roughly 28 vs. Roughly 39 hp (KTM+Hus)

Photo
Photo

|

2/28/2019 5:14 AM

ok guys, not lying not trying to start anything here, had a simple question.
I do have a 18 ktm 125sx as stated above,
if you would like all my sponsors are listed below and i will add a update list.

|