replacement/lost title

JakeM250R
I purchased a used bike in CT. I have an official CT bill of sale but the bike did not come with a title, I ran the VIN on a bunch of sites and it was never reported stolen.
The CT DMV website was no help at answering my question about getting a title made in my name because I now own the bike.

Does anyone have any info/tips/success stories with something like this?
|
SEE ARE125
9/10/2020 8:51am Edited Date/Time 9/10/2020 8:53am
JakeM250R wrote:
I purchased a used bike in CT. I have an official CT bill of sale but the bike did not come with a title, I ran...
I purchased a used bike in CT. I have an official CT bill of sale but the bike did not come with a title, I ran the VIN on a bunch of sites and it was never reported stolen.
The CT DMV website was no help at answering my question about getting a title made in my name because I now own the bike.

Laws vary from state to state, but I’m pretty sure the last person a title was registered to will have to file for a lost title. Some states don’t even have titles for OHVs though, so it may have never had one. Your best bet is to just go talk to your local county clerk’s office or wherever you renew your car registration, they handle titling, too. I think you’ll get much further there than online.
kb228
9/10/2020 9:05am
A few years ago i looked into this for my 92 kx125. Ohio’s setup at the time was you had to own the bike for a few years and show receipts of repairs or parts to prove you genuinely owned and took care of the bike. Then you MIGHT be awarded a title. It wasnt worth the hassle for a $1000 bike and i couldnt afford the fee as a cashier at the time.
motoxxx599
Fantasy
985th
9/10/2020 9:45am
I have 2 KX 450s I bought from a retiring Canadian champ recently. I bought the bikes here in the US but they have Canadian titles. What are the thoughts about being able to sell them at some point soon here in the states?
Chance1216
9/10/2020 1:12pm Edited Date/Time 9/10/2020 1:12pm
Every state is different. In Washington there is a three year wait. After that time, you can get a title. When I lived in Oregon, you didn't need a title. Just a bill of sale. The VIN to get an ORV tag for a year. After moving to Washington I tried getting a title. Even after owning the bike for two years, I still would've had to wait an additional three for a title. I sold the bike and bought one with a title. Problem solved.

The Shop

fourfourone
9/10/2020 1:28pm Edited Date/Time 9/10/2020 1:31pm
JakeM250R wrote:
I purchased a used bike in CT. I have an official CT bill of sale but the bike did not come with a title, I ran...

You won't typically get a title in CT. You only get a title if you actually register it. Since you cant register a normal MX bike in CT you will rarely see a bike with a "title" You are looking for the certificate of origin. If the seller is the original owner either he got the cert of origin or the bank still has it because he never paid of the loan. The last 3 bikes I purchased(financed) all came with the cert of origin.

I have had a few buddies try to get the cert of origin from either the manufacturer or the dealer. They never had any luck. Your kind of shit of luck on this one.

Only negative to not having it is the resale value tanks.

bh84
Fantasy
1830th
9/10/2020 1:32pm
motoxxx599 wrote:
I have 2 KX 450s I bought from a retiring Canadian champ recently. I bought the bikes here in the US but they have Canadian titles...
I have 2 KX 450s I bought from a retiring Canadian champ recently. I bought the bikes here in the US but they have Canadian titles. What are the thoughts about being able to sell them at some point soon here in the states?
You'd have to fill out some import paperwork but its entirely possible
fourfourone
9/10/2020 1:38pm
motoxxx599 wrote:
I have 2 KX 450s I bought from a retiring Canadian champ recently. I bought the bikes here in the US but they have Canadian titles...
as long as you have some sort of title/cert of origin you will be fine. unless you plan on registering them for the road I wouldn't worry about it. And even then Most DMVs will allow you register a vehicle with Canada paperwork.
holyroller1
Fantasy
350th
9/10/2020 2:09pm
You won't typically get a title in CT. You only get a title if you actually register it. Since you cant register a normal MX bike...
You won't typically get a title in CT. You only get a title if you actually register it. Since you cant register a normal MX bike in CT you will rarely see a bike with a "title" You are looking for the certificate of origin. If the seller is the original owner either he got the cert of origin or the bank still has it because he never paid of the loan. The last 3 bikes I purchased(financed) all came with the cert of origin.

I have had a few buddies try to get the cert of origin from either the manufacturer or the dealer. They never had any luck. Your kind of shit of luck on this one.

Only negative to not having it is the resale value tanks.

You all are lucky in CT.

In Ohio if you don't have a title you cannot get an OHV sticker which is required to ride state trails.
9/10/2020 2:25pm Edited Date/Time 9/10/2020 2:27pm
You all are lucky in CT. In Ohio if you don't have a title you cannot get an OHV sticker which is required to ride state...
You all are lucky in CT.

In Ohio if you don't have a title you cannot get an OHV sticker which is required to ride state trails.
Same here in New Mexico. I used to bust my butt to get NM titles when I bought a bike from CO or TX (which have only recently had titles, meaning that '02 KDX220 ain't gonna have one) but no more. NM has NO procedure for titling an untitled vehicle and it costs $55/year to register one anyway. For what? A once a year trip to the mountains? No thanks. I just go to CO or TX to ride off-road- they're both closer than decent off-road riding here anyway! If I REALLY want to ride off road in NM, then I have a TX friend get an out-of-state NM sticker (for less $$$ than my registration costs!!!!) and I borrow "his" bike. I've never been checked. I gave up trying to give the State of NM my money.

Of course, for a track bike, it doesn't matter.

Fonzarelli
9/10/2020 3:52pm
Here in Michigan, with the VIN, some patience and a couple hundred bucks anyone can get a title as long as the bike isn't already titled or reported stolen. So, question for all you guys recommending against getting a title... let's just say some guy did that, got a title in his name for your bike, and then reported the bike stolen... who do you think the cops are going to give the bike to?

It's crazy to skimp a few hundred bucks to not protect an asset worth thousands. Makes resale a whole lot easier too.
omalley
9/10/2020 4:29pm
motoxxx599 wrote:
I used to buy my bikes from a shop in Canada. At the time I could pay their retail price and because of exchange rate, pay about 1000-1500 US less than here for the same bike.

I traded them in every year and thus never needed a title until I switched bikes and needed to sell here (WA). I took the bike and import paperwork to DOL and had to pay the title fee (basically whatever sales tax was then, 7-8%) and got a title. I might’ve had to get a VIN inspection at the State Patrol...don’t recall.

If you buy a bike with no title, WA allows you to apply for a title with a three year wait, to give someone a chance to come forward to contest ownership. I was able to circumvent this with an OR bike, but it mostly because the owner from OR had a ton of paperwork for it, including the original owners importation/Customs docs (the original owner bought it in Canada).
stantdm
9/10/2020 6:25pm
You don't say how old the bike is in your first post and I did not read all the others. If your bike is over 20 years old no title is needed in Ct.

Where I live you can apply for a title with a bill of sale and, while the rules are fuzzy, you have a good chance of getting one. Just ask them if they have a form called Application for title for a motor vehicle and see where it goes.
TbonesPop
Fantasy
405th
9/10/2020 7:03pm
You have to get what is called a "bonded title". You can go through private automotive title agencies. They can do all the leg work for you. Will cost you $200-$400 depending on how much work they have to do to get it. Usually takes about 2-3 weeks and they tell you to come get your title. They will need to do an inspection to get started. Pretty straight forward. I've done it successfully 3-4 times.
Mr. Info
9/11/2020 6:49am
Jake I never told him to sell my bike. He was holding it until my leg healed. I want it back. Lol just kidding.
9/11/2020 6:59am Edited Date/Time 9/11/2020 7:07am
I had a huge problem with a 125 I got one time. It was stolen. The vin was ground off. It was auctioned off at a sheriff sale. I got it from North Carolina ( I live in Ohio) bike never was titled initially. (Was legit knew the guy I got it off of and he explained to me how he got it—sheriff sale etc) Took it to my Yamaha dealer and stamped the vin back on the neck because the vin is also on the inside.

So basically to title it in my state I had to show documentation (bill if sale) and get it inspected. Jump through 40 hoops. Go to the dmv 5 times. But eventually it got titled. Dmv made me get the vin restamped because they wouldn’t title it in that condition.

Start at your dmv. I think the process is easier without an original title which sounds to be your case....

Post a reply to: replacement/lost title

The Latest