racing has gotten safer

hillbilly
Edited Date/Time 3/19/2015 8:09pm
In every motorsport except ours.

As all motorsports have gotten faster,more powerful they have gotten much safer.

Nascar,headons that would killed now are nothing with safer walls and Hans.

F1 ,tubs take care of the driver.

Nhra, did you see Larry Dixon last week?

Moto,still sticking our heads in a beer cooler with cool colored shells over them as bikes have gotten probably twice as fast since the 80s when you combine the engine with so much better suspension.

I'd pay 2k for a helmet that was twice as good. And ,it seems like it could be done with gel or airbag ,something..

I guess since we dont demand it ,it just never gets done,dunno.
|
KTMShane699
3/19/2015 3:42pm
6D comes out with some helmet technology at not much more than other manufacturers (new arai is $700+ MSRP), and people accuse them of gouging and being too expensive. Technology can evolve, but people are too vocal that they don't want to pay for it.

Shane
zehn
3/19/2015 3:43pm
It's the nature of racing on two wheels, this problem isn't unique to motocross alone.

When you ride a vehicle that has no cage or any other means of protecting the racer, bad stuff can (and does, unfortunately) happen.
Berm
Fantasy
136th
3/19/2015 3:46pm
Maybe someone a bit more knowledgeable can chime in, but I didn't think F1 has gotten faster. I thought they slowed it down.

The Shop

Cygnus
3/19/2015 3:49pm
Yep racing has gotten slower on almost all levels except for motorcycles. Just part of the game.
ChrisB10
3/19/2015 3:54pm
When I think about how dangerous moto is sometimes it turns me off from the sport and sometimes it just makes me love it that much more.
Bob693
3/19/2015 3:58pm
I don't think it would be the worst thing in the world to either go back to the 2 stroke or lower the CC's of the fours and slow the racing down some. There just isn't a whole lot that can be done safety wise since we don't have cages and slower speeds would be the best bet.
blusmbl
3/19/2015 4:06pm
Cygnus wrote:
Yep racing has gotten slower on almost all levels except for motorcycles. Just part of the game.
Yep. NASCAR has been slowed down on the super speedways since 1987 (?) when Bill Elliott went 212 in qualifying at Talladega, NHRA went to 1000ft to slow the fuel cars down after Scott Kalitta died at Englishtown, F1 and Indy/CART have been restricted or had engine rule changes several times to slow them down, etc.
Uncle Tony
3/19/2015 4:06pm
my first race was in 1971, I don't think Mx is safer clearly 4 strokes are easier to ride fast, suspension is so good, I think it's the tracks, the margin of era on a modern SX track is very slim, most outdoor tracks have become jump fests, it's difficult for pro's to make it through a season with no injuries, forget the local guy, I think if the outdoor stuff was toned down a little with more wheels on the ground racing we would have less fatalities, more and more every year we are hearing guys getting killed, it wasn't this bad on the seventies and eighties, it still happened but not as much as today, that's very sad, we are losing to many young riders
mx836
3/19/2015 4:07pm
Bob693 wrote:
I don't think it would be the worst thing in the world to either go back to the 2 stroke or lower the CC's of the...
I don't think it would be the worst thing in the world to either go back to the 2 stroke or lower the CC's of the fours and slow the racing down some. There just isn't a whole lot that can be done safety wise since we don't have cages and slower speeds would be the best bet.
Back to two strokes would be the best bet, as you have to know how to ride one well to build speed quickly. We all know this isn't happening unfortunately. I completely agree that bikes are too fast and I race a 450 myself. With that said, I don't see how the cc limit could now be changed. The bikes are already made. Lower the cc limit to 350 and now all 450s are obsolete except for an open class which defeats the purpose anyway. I wish it could be done, but don't see how.
Cygnus
3/19/2015 4:11pm
Cygnus wrote:
blusmbl wrote:
Yep. NASCAR has been slowed down on the super speedways since 1987 (?) when Bill Elliott went 212 in qualifying at Talladega, NHRA went to 1000ft...
Yep. NASCAR has been slowed down on the super speedways since 1987 (?) when Bill Elliott went 212 in qualifying at Talladega, NHRA went to 1000ft to slow the fuel cars down after Scott Kalitta died at Englishtown, F1 and Indy/CART have been restricted or had engine rule changes several times to slow them down, etc.
Thanks for the post. I felt like I should come back and edit it to explain but you nailed it.
Toste
Fantasy
794th
3/19/2015 4:13pm
Helmets can only do so much, regardless of their design or construction. I think helmet technology (in all sports) is about at its limit, but even if helmets could be made better, there is an argument that helmet tech improvements just embolden people to "go harder", exposing the rest of the body to more severe injuries than would otherwise be the case.

For MX to get safer, I think the tracks and bikes need to be altered to get the speeds down. Modern MX has a lot of the sketchy aspects of TT/dirt track, but with the added bonus of big jumps thrown in to boot.
Zaugg
3/19/2015 4:19pm Edited Date/Time 3/19/2015 4:20pm
Motorcycle racing has gotten faster with technology (EFI, Suspension, Exotic Materials, etc, etc.)...and not just SX/ MX.

This knee-jerk reaction to a disaster/ crash/ major injury/ death needs to be put in check.

Learning from mistakes and improving is part of any sport.

Foregoing all technology to slow things down is ridiculous. Marc Marquez just demolished the Sepang track record during pre-season testing and I highly doubt you'll hear road racing fans say, "Those guys are going too fast."

People who ride and race know the danger. Companies like 6D and now Bell, MIPS (and that's just helmets) are looking to make a dangerous activity a little safer but at the end of the day, it's still dangerous.

Appreciate their talent and please stop complaining or suggesting all pros ride 2 strokes or we should slow things down.

I recall a bunch of people saying our tracks aren't rough enough over here..talk about contradictions.

-END RANT-

Crush
3/19/2015 4:35pm Edited Date/Time 3/19/2015 4:38pm
Cygnus wrote:
Shouldn't be tho...

Somewhere along the line in the 80s everyone realised 500s were ridiculous indoors and even outdoors...

Fast forward 20 years, the norm, even indoors are bikes have the same or more motor, with much more capable suspension. It's pretty silly.

250fs are pretty even laptime and getting closer HP wise, with 250 two strokes, bikes that RC described as having a need to respect. 450s are a level again.
Toste
Fantasy
794th
3/19/2015 4:47pm
Zaugg wrote:
Motorcycle racing has gotten faster with technology (EFI, Suspension, Exotic Materials, etc, etc.)...and not just SX/ MX. This knee-jerk reaction to a disaster/ crash/ major injury/...
Motorcycle racing has gotten faster with technology (EFI, Suspension, Exotic Materials, etc, etc.)...and not just SX/ MX.

This knee-jerk reaction to a disaster/ crash/ major injury/ death needs to be put in check.

Learning from mistakes and improving is part of any sport.

Foregoing all technology to slow things down is ridiculous. Marc Marquez just demolished the Sepang track record during pre-season testing and I highly doubt you'll hear road racing fans say, "Those guys are going too fast."

People who ride and race know the danger. Companies like 6D and now Bell, MIPS (and that's just helmets) are looking to make a dangerous activity a little safer but at the end of the day, it's still dangerous.

Appreciate their talent and please stop complaining or suggesting all pros ride 2 strokes or we should slow things down.

I recall a bunch of people saying our tracks aren't rough enough over here..talk about contradictions.

-END RANT-

Rougher tracks would actually make it safer (again, lower speed), so I'm not really seeing the contradiction.

You may think there's no such thing as "too fast", but the human body does have certain limits. I like to think of motorcycle racing as test of talent/skill more so than a contest at cheating death. JMO.

I have been out of riding for quite a while, but when I see videos of people riding these days, everyone is WFO...even people who are visibly not very skilled riders. Long straights, no tight turns, very few bumps or ruts...it doesn't even really look like motocross compared to how it used to be.
3/19/2015 4:51pm
If you want a cage, get on 4 wheels. Dirt track and MotoGp is just as dangerous. So is riding your street bike on public roads. Yes it's dangerous, yes it sucks when things go bad, but is any of this really a surprise? 450's don't require you to ride them balls to the wall. If you want to ride fast, you run the risk of injury.
731chopper
Fantasy
355th
3/19/2015 5:04pm
At the amateur level I think the tracks could and should be made a lot safer by reducing the size of the jumps.
Zaugg
3/19/2015 5:04pm
Toste wrote:
Rougher tracks would actually make it safer (again, lower speed), so I'm not really seeing the contradiction. You may think there's no such thing as "too...
Rougher tracks would actually make it safer (again, lower speed), so I'm not really seeing the contradiction.

You may think there's no such thing as "too fast", but the human body does have certain limits. I like to think of motorcycle racing as test of talent/skill more so than a contest at cheating death. JMO.

I have been out of riding for quite a while, but when I see videos of people riding these days, everyone is WFO...even people who are visibly not very skilled riders. Long straights, no tight turns, very few bumps or ruts...it doesn't even really look like motocross compared to how it used to be.
I see your point but most people don't want rough tracks to slow riders down...they want it as a badge of courage and skill...which I full support.

SX tracks are technical but not entirely more dangerous...even though they are inherently dangerous to begin with.

Having racers ride on the ragged edge isn't what I'm suggesting. I'm just saying that when someone gets hurt you start to see this type of knee-jerk reaction to swing the pendulum far in the other direction. Human nature I guess.

Basically, it's really hard to make a dangerous sport safe. It's the nature of the sport. People are going to get hurt and it totally sucks.

You just can't fix stupid. (This referring to those unskilled individuals that get hurt and make life difficult for those that love motorcycles.)

blusmbl
3/19/2015 5:10pm
Cygnus wrote:
blusmbl wrote:
Yep. NASCAR has been slowed down on the super speedways since 1987 (?) when Bill Elliott went 212 in qualifying at Talladega, NHRA went to 1000ft...
Cygnus wrote:
Thanks for the post. I felt like I should come back and edit it to explain but you nailed it.
Anytime.

731chopper
Fantasy
355th
3/19/2015 5:11pm
Zaugg wrote:
I see your point but most people don't want rough tracks to slow riders down...they want it as a badge of courage and skill...which I full...
I see your point but most people don't want rough tracks to slow riders down...they want it as a badge of courage and skill...which I full support.

SX tracks are technical but not entirely more dangerous...even though they are inherently dangerous to begin with.

Having racers ride on the ragged edge isn't what I'm suggesting. I'm just saying that when someone gets hurt you start to see this type of knee-jerk reaction to swing the pendulum far in the other direction. Human nature I guess.

Basically, it's really hard to make a dangerous sport safe. It's the nature of the sport. People are going to get hurt and it totally sucks.

You just can't fix stupid. (This referring to those unskilled individuals that get hurt and make life difficult for those that love motorcycles.)

True but how many deaths should we tolerate each year before we begin to have a serious conversation about the safety of our sport?

Yes, racing motocross is dangerous and there will inevitably be deaths no matter what but there is a point where it goes from being acceptable to unacceptable and I think the sport is getting to that point at the amateur level. Personally, I think the amateur side of our sport got too caught up in catering to the wannabe/future pros and forgot about the casual weekend warrior. Of course I am generalizing there but I think some people will understand what I'm saying and agree with me.
moscrop940
3/19/2015 5:14pm
I would love nothing more than for every class to be just stock 125's and 250's. Suspension is all good, but the motor stays stock. If everyone was on them the racing wouldn't become any less exciting, it would just tone down how fast these guys can go ( FYI the above is not me promoting 2 strokes, I would be just as happy if they were 4 strokes, if the speed was the same)
KennyT
Fantasy
233rd
3/19/2015 5:18pm
It is easy to see why.

In autoracing when they find a piece of safety equipment that will save bodies/lives they make it mandatory. Lives are then saved and the sports fatality rates decrease significantly.

With MX, when something is introduced you have the riders, who honestly are about as intelligent as the average 6th grader, telling us they choose not to wear something due to it making them feel restricted.

Many lives are saved from new safety innovations with the auto circuits. Soft walls, runoff areas etc.
in SX we park boats within 10' of the track and put so many obstacles in place that it is a aerial circus instead of a race. We have 12 year olds doing 90' triples for fuck sakes, is it no wonder their are kids dying so often? We let Pros like Villo on the same practice tracks as 10 year old novices. This would be like allowing grandma to cruise the high banks of Daytona with Jeff Gordon.

hvaughn88
3/19/2015 5:45pm Edited Date/Time 3/19/2015 5:46pm
I know this won't be a popular opinion in here, but I can tell you that my two boys will never touch a track. And I wouldn't be disappointed if they never wanted to touch a motorcycle again so we could avoid the urge all together. It sucks to say that because I know how much I enjoyed racing as a kid and how awesome the long trips in the truck were with just me and my dad. But I just feel like it's gotten to the point that it's just not worth the risk. I know I sound like a hypocrite for saying that since I raced, have a couple bikes and my son has a pw50. But it's just not happening. They aren't racing.
hillbilly
3/19/2015 5:48pm
Nascar set records at almost ever track last year, Dayton and dega dont count. They took 150hp away this year and an inch of spoiler and still broke the record.

F1,safer,may not got faster down a straight but braking points are much deeper,corner speed insane.

GT cars,not so long ago guys died all the time,it is far more dangerous than NASCAR or f1 because of the backwoods tracks they sometimes run.

Fia WRC ,shit,you kidding? 2 up and walk away from hellish crashes.

But,all that is not my point.

The point is as our vehicle got better,faster,stronger our equipment (safety gear) is the same,no progression.

A man can survive 100g slams from the neck down but that brain cant. And you can't tell me that helmets could not be made 10 times safer.

The reason they have not is probably several, numbers of participants, what those participants are currently paying versus what a 10 times better would cost, and what you see in these post,the shrugging of shoulders and saying "its just the way it is"

A helmet could be made with sensors and a "absorbing area" that would be controlled be how many Gs the sensor reads and a controlled stop be implemented till area is used up.

The cost would be huge to develop and then pasted on. The HANS device stopped helmet development probably.

Long post but damn,I'd like to see something in that direction before my days are done.
KennyT
Fantasy
233rd
3/19/2015 5:55pm
hvaughn88 wrote:
I know this won't be a popular opinion in here, but I can tell you that my two boys will never touch a track. And I...
I know this won't be a popular opinion in here, but I can tell you that my two boys will never touch a track. And I wouldn't be disappointed if they never wanted to touch a motorcycle again so we could avoid the urge all together. It sucks to say that because I know how much I enjoyed racing as a kid and how awesome the long trips in the truck were with just me and my dad. But I just feel like it's gotten to the point that it's just not worth the risk. I know I sound like a hypocrite for saying that since I raced, have a couple bikes and my son has a pw50. But it's just not happening. They aren't racing.
You just sound like a very loving and intelligent parent to me. There is no comparison to the sport of MX in the 70's to what we have today. You could get hurt back then but you were not in danger of losing your life.
hvaughn88
3/19/2015 6:05pm Edited Date/Time 3/19/2015 6:07pm
hvaughn88 wrote:
I know this won't be a popular opinion in here, but I can tell you that my two boys will never touch a track. And I...
KennyT wrote:
You just sound like a very loving and intelligent parent to me. There is no comparison to the sport of MX in the 70's to what...
You just sound like a very loving and intelligent parent to me. There is no comparison to the sport of MX in the 70's to what we have today. You could get hurt back then but you were not in danger of losing your life.
The scary part is that I'm only 27 and the amateur side doesn't even seem recognizable to what it was in the 90s. I can't even begin to imagine what it's like in comparison to the 70's.
KlootZak
3/19/2015 6:06pm
If you want a cage, get on 4 wheels. Dirt track and MotoGp is just as dangerous. So is riding your street bike on public roads...
If you want a cage, get on 4 wheels. Dirt track and MotoGp is just as dangerous. So is riding your street bike on public roads. Yes it's dangerous, yes it sucks when things go bad, but is any of this really a surprise? 450's don't require you to ride them balls to the wall. If you want to ride fast, you run the risk of injury.
Not really,

MotoGP has become safer during the years. First, the tracks have a lot more running off area. There are also airbags / cushions around the barriers in case they crash. The suits they are wearing, have an airbag system in them and also the bikes have much more electronics equipped. Therefore the chance of crashing has decreased as well ...

To be honest, reducing CCs wouldn't slow down the riders too much. Just look at the difference with 250 bikes, of course the bikes would be more rideable which is a good thing.
731chopper
Fantasy
355th
3/19/2015 6:08pm
KennyT wrote:
You just sound like a very loving and intelligent parent to me. There is no comparison to the sport of MX in the 70's to what...
First race my father raced in the mid 70's (not sure what year) was at Mosier Valley and a kid got killed. I agree as does my father that the sport has gotten much more dangerous but the sport could be deadly back then too.
Bultaco
3/19/2015 6:11pm
hvaughn88 wrote:
Exactly the same here. I taught my kids to ride dirt bikes in the the pasture. My son races DH mountain bikes, which is not the same as moto, but still great fun. But no Motocross.
TX24
3/19/2015 6:12pm
It's the big jumps and then the speed of the new bikes. Young men now want big jumps.

Post a reply to: racing has gotten safer

The Latest