purchasing a bike with a mso in california

mxracer71
Fantasy
2442nd
Has anyone had any experience with this. Was there any back fees? just curious if anyone has done this can give me some input.
Thanks
|
SLAPAHO
Fantasy
638th
6/11/2019 5:55pm
no problem, get a bill of sale and the MSO and you're good. if it's strictly a track bike i wouldn't even register it.. you can sell it with the same MSO to the next guy....
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
6/11/2019 5:58pm
Off-road bikes, like anything with an engine, must be reported and registered with the Mighty and great state of Kalifornia. Anyone attempting to interfere with the registration process WILL BE SHOT. Curfew begins each night at 8PM sharp. Anyone caught outside affer curfew WILL BE SHOT.
AHarmon237
6/11/2019 6:10pm
SLAPAHO wrote:
no problem, get a bill of sale and the MSO and you're good. if it's strictly a track bike i wouldn't even register it.. you can...
no problem, get a bill of sale and the MSO and you're good. if it's strictly a track bike i wouldn't even register it.. you can sell it with the same MSO to the next guy....
What he said. To register one, take the bill of sale with you and ask to issue to a title at the dmv. I bought a bike from Ohio and it was never in the system so it was a smooth process.
mxracer71
Fantasy
2442nd
6/11/2019 6:32pm
SLAPAHO wrote:
no problem, get a bill of sale and the MSO and you're good. if it's strictly a track bike i wouldn't even register it.. you can...
AHarmon237 wrote:
What he said. To register one, take the bill of sale with you and ask to issue to a title at the dmv. I bought a...
What he said. To register one, take the bill of sale with you and ask to issue to a title at the dmv. I bought a bike from Ohio and it was never in the system so it was a smooth process.
was there any back fees or anything? Or did you just pay for tags and reg fee?

The Shop

HazemG
6/11/2019 7:08pm
mxracer71 wrote:
His laws may (and likely will) differ from CA. I’d call the treasurer’s office and ask them
6/11/2019 7:18pm
...back fees. In Ohio, you have to pay sales tax on the purchase price when you register / title it. No idea about Cali.
SLAPAHO
Fantasy
638th
6/11/2019 7:23pm Edited Date/Time 6/11/2019 7:24pm
no back fees, just tax based off of the bill of sale and normal reg fees.

or you can call Gavin Newsom and ask him i suppose ^
Doddy
6/11/2019 8:36pm
Sounds like the same process to get a concealed carry permit.
Xeno
6/11/2019 8:57pm
mxracer71 wrote:
Can’t have back fees with a MSO. A valid MSO means the vehicle has never been registered in a state. Sales tax on the purchase price is due when the vehicle is registered.
hubbardmx50
6/11/2019 9:17pm
Another thread about the people’s republic of California you say? Texas Built just took his shirt off.
6/11/2019 9:36pm
I'm curious about this too. I live in ca, if I bought a bike from a dealer that I never plan on registering or selling in ca, do I ever have to pay anything more than the purchase price?
Brent
6/11/2019 10:48pm Edited Date/Time 6/11/2019 10:49pm
Don’t be an exaggerating asshole, the process you describe is only 12 to 18 months, NOT 36 to 48...
Slaughter612s
Fantasy
171st
6/12/2019 6:48am
I'm curious about this too. I live in ca, if I bought a bike from a dealer that I never plan on registering or selling in...
I'm curious about this too. I live in ca, if I bought a bike from a dealer that I never plan on registering or selling in ca, do I ever have to pay anything more than the purchase price?
Same for me, but if I want to sell, Does the MSO serve as 'Pink slip in Hand' as you often see on MX Sales? Thank you.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
6/12/2019 8:07am
I'm curious about this too. I live in ca, if I bought a bike from a dealer that I never plan on registering or selling in...
Same for me, but if I want to sell, Does the MSO serve as 'Pink slip in Hand' as you often see on MX Sales? Thank...
Same for me, but if I want to sell, Does the MSO serve as 'Pink slip in Hand' as you often see on MX Sales? Thank you.
Dealers are required by the DMV to collect fees and register the bike. If you pay cash, you'll get a title. If financed, the leinholder gets the title.
TooOld4WFO
Fantasy
1435th
6/12/2019 8:38am
To complete the registration in Ca you will need to transport the motorcycle to your local CHP.
Call your local office to find out where this is. Make sure you ask if they are only accepting appointments.
Go there and have the bike inspected. Make sure you have a bill of sale. Or at least something that appears to look like one. That is the bare minimum.
Print one off DMVs website for bill of sale.

I suggest going to CHP before DMV. Since you will have to return there anyways to complete registration.

I was just there 3 weeks ago with 3 bikes to be verified.
captmoto
6/12/2019 9:26am
Falcon wrote:
Dealers are required by the DMV to collect fees and register the bike. If you pay cash, you'll get a title. If financed, the leinholder gets...
Dealers are required by the DMV to collect fees and register the bike. If you pay cash, you'll get a title. If financed, the leinholder gets the title.
You will also get an annual renewal every 2 years. Mine is around $60 maybe. The upside is you can insure your bike against theft with a registration. It's worth it to me.
seth419
6/12/2019 9:27am
Same for me, but if I want to sell, Does the MSO serve as 'Pink slip in Hand' as you often see on MX Sales? Thank...
Yes, I believe the MSO is as close as you can get to a pink slip. I am selling a bike right now that was originally bought in Arizona and never registered here, so when I bought it I got the MSO and also never registered it because it was only a track bike. I will do a bill of sale and let the next guy decide if he wants to register it or not.

Post a reply to: purchasing a bike with a mso in california

The Latest