pro riders bikes

mxryder231
8/23/2011 6:20pm Edited Date/Time 1/19/2012 9:24pm
fairly simple question, and it might be dumb but does any one know what the riders do with their bikes after the season is done? not talking about race bikes i am talking about the practice bikes do the oems take them back and try and sell or put them on display and dealer shows or does the riders keep their bikes.
|
bradmx421
8/23/2011 6:38pm
practice bikes go back to the manufacturers.....they are "demo bikes"......then they are refurbished and sold at dealers.

most teams, not factory teams of course. do however sale their "race" bikes at the end of the season
bish153
8/23/2011 6:58pm
Some people might argue that they are taken out back and beat with sledge hammers!
mxtech1
8/24/2011 5:52am
Almost all of the bikes are sold at a dealership or with deals made to people who have connections with the riders/teams. Keep in mind though that the bikes are usually put back to nearly stock condition with the parts they took of when they received the bike before mods. I have noticed however that alot of the bikes are being sold with the race graphics or rider pre-print backgrounds left on so the Joe Tom that buys the bike can brag with proof to his buddies about his "race bike" he just bought. Seems to be a good selling point.

I saw a JGR bike on ebay not to long ago, as well as one of their very good engines. The Monster Energy Babbit's AX team frequently has used race bikes on Ebay with kit suspension and PC motors.
newmann
8/24/2011 6:50am
I remember a photo of a front end loader full of RC's scrap KX practice bikes in pieces headed to a dumpster. That stuff was probably beat to a pulp in short order by that little beast.

I've seen plenty of satellite team bikes on ebay and craigslist.

Back in the works bikes days some riders were given works bikes as practice bikes since there was such a dramatic difference between them and the stockers. Of course there were instructions as to how to deal with them when they were used up including throwing them in a hole and covering them with a bulldozer. There are a few buried treasures outside of San Antonio.

The Shop

MotoGUY
8/24/2011 7:28am
I know a lot of teams sell the bikes. JGR was selling bikes for 16k last year with good suspension and motors. There really arent that many teams that get free bikes now a days so most teams sell the race bikes. I work for kilbarger Racing we will be selling our bikes at the end of the season. We will take the Ti Bolt kit and A kit suspension but we leave the triple clamps, A60 Wheels, Oversize rotor, CF stuff, Race Ported head we rebuild the engines with brand new bearings and crank and piston, ARC Levers.
8/24/2011 9:18am
a little advice about practice bikes. To put it simply, you do NOT want one for any sort of "for use" purpose. To have as a trophy/collector type of deal, ok. A race bike, you are a touch safer with. But daily practice bike.... there is literally nothing left of them for the most part that isnt wore out and fatigued to hell.

You have to realize a reality, these guys can do things to and on a bike that most of us cant even remotely comprehend. They can bend and break things without crashing, just due to how hard they hit a corner or a landing... repeatedly.

Here is some perspective since RC was mentioned. Name the last time you had to change a throttle cable due to it wearing out from use. Not had to change it because it frayed, or it broke - use. How long did that take you? RC, per Goose's podcast, went thru throttle cables like you and me go thru grips. He stretched them out in a month past the point of adjustment. Now, you are saying to yourself, "how the hell do you wear out a throttle cable in a month? bullshit, you dont know crap!". And that illustrates my point, most cant comprehend what these guys can do. He stretched it out because he used WFO as a way to hold onto the bike! throttle locks wide open, grip goes solid, you are hanging off the back of the bike.... see what I am talking about? (which kinda throws the whole a 450 is too much for anyone arguement)

These guys go thru rims like candy, frames constantly, bend bars from use not crashing.

Now, do you really want one as a daily ride, that has been over a cliff two 30's a day, 4 days a week, for 3 months? Not me! lol
ocscottie
8/24/2011 9:36am
newmann wrote:
I remember a photo of a front end loader full of RC's scrap KX practice bikes in pieces headed to a dumpster. That stuff was probably...
I remember a photo of a front end loader full of RC's scrap KX practice bikes in pieces headed to a dumpster. That stuff was probably beat to a pulp in short order by that little beast.

I've seen plenty of satellite team bikes on ebay and craigslist.

Back in the works bikes days some riders were given works bikes as practice bikes since there was such a dramatic difference between them and the stockers. Of course there were instructions as to how to deal with them when they were used up including throwing them in a hole and covering them with a bulldozer. There are a few buried treasures outside of San Antonio.
Remember the pic of the "KX graveyard" at his house? bikes. parts, frames that looked like skeletons all piled up...imagine how many bikes he went through a year?

I think it was in 84 i was at Ricky Ryans house and counted 14 RM's in his garage, all in different states of disarray. Back then im pretty sure he had to give them all back, didnt matter what the condition...and some were BAD. His practice bikes were complete piles of shit and i have no idea how he even rode them.
therealjonon
8/24/2011 12:10pm
they are basically cremated...what you see on craigslist, ebay etc are either practice bikes, or, a clean bike with graphics and some accessories you can buy from showroom...

Post a reply to: pro riders bikes

The Latest