please explain why Herlings is sandbagging and Martin is not

5/12/2016 8:48am
Moens_Andy wrote:
i'm just quoting your last alinea Herlings never ever just cruises around he is always giving it 100% every time he throws a leg over his...
i'm just quoting your last alinea

Herlings never ever just cruises around he is always giving it 100% every time he throws a leg over his dirtsicle on his mountainbike or road bike or gym thats the thing with Jeffrey his always balls out the kid can't even give 99%

You really should see him on practice he's just insane he knows this might not last very long as he is demanding a lot from his body and said so himself in an interview recently

he's improving himself every minute of the day he eats, sleeps, dreams, ride's 100%

when i see him i'm in awe off how blazingly stupid fast he is when he's on there is just no way anyone could touch him on a bike not even the mxgp guys iff he's healthy enough and they would let him ride 4 moto's mx2 and mxgp he will win all moto's and i'm even willing to put money where my mouth is on that one he's just unbelievable

the people who have seen him ride in real life will probably say the same he's skill level is so much higher than anyone i have ever seen ride in real life
Herlings is for sure one of the world fastest dirtriders of his generation but to say that his skill level is so much higher than anyone is ridiculous.Did he raced against Roczen,Dungey,Tomac..... recently for a championship???No,it's pure speculation.Wink
akillerwombat
5/12/2016 8:49am
Moens_Andy wrote:
Do you think Herlings would have it that easy this season if Ferrandis did not get hurt? The time sheet and average win margin tells a...
Do you think Herlings would have it that easy this season if Ferrandis did not get hurt?

The time sheet and average win margin tells a lot in that case, i truly think that if Ferrandis stayed healthy there would have been les margin. And some moto's where he would have came in second to Ferrandis.
Motocross isn't a sport of "if's".
peelout
5/12/2016 8:52am
Crush wrote:
Martin is 23. Born 92. First year was 2012 outdoors. Won outdoor title 2014, 2015 5 seasons in the class. Definitely moving up next year. Herlings...
Martin is 23. Born 92.
First year was 2012 outdoors.
Won outdoor title 2014, 2015
5 seasons in the class.
Definitely moving up next year.

Herlings is 21. Born 94.
First year in Gps was 2010.
Won it 2012, 2013
7 seasons in clas
Jeffrey is going for 500 MX2 wins.
Motofinne wrote:
All of that is true, but i think you should mention the major injuries Herlings had in 2014 and in 2015. Because he would be on...
All of that is true, but i think you should mention the major injuries Herlings had in 2014 and in 2015. Because he would be on a 450 or 350 now without those injuries.
Because he would be on a 450 or 350 now without those injuries.

no he wouldn't. he's a draft dodger.
5/12/2016 8:54am
As i stated above, "so much higher than anyone i have ever seen ride in real life".

I hope i get the chance to see Dungey, Tomac, Roczen and many others ride in the future, last time i've seen Roczen ride in real life was in his last year in gp's.
And yes i believe Herlings has more raw speed and talent than Roczen had back then, i obviously don't know how he evolved in the states over these past years.
But back then Herlings had more talent/raw speed then Roczen did and to be clear that is just my opinion.

The Shop

jmx411
5/12/2016 8:56am
Neither are sandbagging so even giving the vitards who said Herlings is sandbagging this much attention isn't good.

Herlings has had injuries, without the injuries he would be on a 450.

Martin has supercross to worry about. If it was just a motocross series in America he would be on a 450 this year.
umagumadog
5/12/2016 8:56am
Simple, sandbagging is when you race in a class where you have no competition and are clearly faster than everyone else but a faster class with more competition is available to race. Herlings is clearly "that guy". Marvin is not, he won a championship defended his title and moved up. Davalos seems to have been in the 250 class since it began but he is not head and shoulders above his competition and would clearly get his ass spanked on the 450, not a "sandbagger". If speed, race wins and championships were what determined who was a sandbagger then it could be argued that RC was a sandbagger. Clearly he wasn't though as RC didn't have a higher/faster class to move to Herlings does.
IceMan446
5/12/2016 9:00am
umagumadog wrote:
Simple, sandbagging is when you race in a class where you have no competition and are clearly faster than everyone else but a faster class with...
Simple, sandbagging is when you race in a class where you have no competition and are clearly faster than everyone else but a faster class with more competition is available to race. Herlings is clearly "that guy". Marvin is not, he won a championship defended his title and moved up. Davalos seems to have been in the 250 class since it began but he is not head and shoulders above his competition and would clearly get his ass spanked on the 450, not a "sandbagger". If speed, race wins and championships were what determined who was a sandbagger then it could be argued that RC was a sandbagger. Clearly he wasn't though as RC didn't have a higher/faster class to move to Herlings does.
x1000
MXMattii
5/12/2016 9:02am
Moens_Andy wrote:
Do you think Herlings would have it that easy this season if Ferrandis did not get hurt? The time sheet and average win margin tells a...
Do you think Herlings would have it that easy this season if Ferrandis did not get hurt?

The time sheet and average win margin tells a lot in that case, i truly think that if Ferrandis stayed healthy there would have been les margin. And some moto's where he would have came in second to Ferrandis.
That' maybe the worst about all. With all respect he doesn't get stronger by racing Ferrandis, Seewer, Anstie,... Because in the MX2 he's the alpha male. But those kids like Ferrandis, Seewer, ... all get stronger by chasing Herlings speed. The best examples are Febvre and Gasjer. Tonus his results when injury free are also a great example and Ferrandis his results will be also.

And please to all others that are talking about those injuries. Those are all self inflicted. He broke his femur because that egocentric little kid couldn't bare the thought that he would be beaten by a 14 year old.

5/12/2016 9:07am
Moens_Andy wrote:
As i stated above, "so much higher than anyone i have ever seen ride in real life". I hope i get the chance to see Dungey...
As i stated above, "so much higher than anyone i have ever seen ride in real life".

I hope i get the chance to see Dungey, Tomac, Roczen and many others ride in the future, last time i've seen Roczen ride in real life was in his last year in gp's.
And yes i believe Herlings has more raw speed and talent than Roczen had back then, i obviously don't know how he evolved in the states over these past years.
But back then Herlings had more talent/raw speed then Roczen did and to be clear that is just my opinion.

If Herlings had more talent than Roczen,why the hell he didn't race supercross?I followed the career of both riders,saw them racing in real live and i am a fan of both.Since the last GP season of Roczen and Searle's last MX2 season,Herlings had no competition.Just my 0,02
Paul333
5/12/2016 9:12am Edited Date/Time 5/15/2016 4:04am
Crush wrote:
Martin is 23. Born 92. First year was 2012 outdoors. Won outdoor title 2014, 2015 5 seasons in the class. Definitely moving up next year. Herlings...
Martin is 23. Born 92.
First year was 2012 outdoors.
Won outdoor title 2014, 2015
5 seasons in the class.
Definitely moving up next year.

Herlings is 21. Born 94.
First year in Gps was 2010.
Won it 2012, 2013
7 seasons in clas
Jeffrey is going for 500 MX2 wins.
Motofinne wrote:
All of that is true, but i think you should mention the major injuries Herlings had in 2014 and in 2015. Because he would be on...
All of that is true, but i think you should mention the major injuries Herlings had in 2014 and in 2015. Because he would be on a 450 or 350 now without those injuries.
peelout wrote:

The only people who don’t understand why Herlings is labeled a Sandbagger are his fans on Vital and the Internet troll accounts sent over to Vital to squash the topic.

It’s not about age, it’s about years of utter domination of a feeder series. Like it or not MX2 is now nothing to FIM/Youthstream but a series designed to get newer/younger riders ready for the premier 450/MX1 class. Hence the under 23 years old age limit and at one time a two titles and be forced to move up rule (Removed specifically for Herlings by the way).

Herlings has not had anyone even remotely at his level since the 2012 MX2 season. No matter if he won the title or not he was light years faster than anyone in the class. These are years of season sweeps, 150 point leads 1/3 of the way through the season, two second per lap faster speed, etc. Just absolute domination. Guillod, Gajser, and Tixier won individual GP’s beating Herlings but nobody could even come close to matching him over a season. Not to forget all of them have moved on to MX1 anyway. Once again it’s about udder domination of a feeder series not his age....

J. Martin, M. Stewart, M. Davalos, etc have competition in each and every race. They aren’t winning every race, turning two second faster lap times than their competition, or getting 150 point leads in their series before the 50% mark. Again, they have massive competition....

I also think the guys stating he would have moved up to MX1 by now if it wasn’t for the injuries are trying to BS us or rewrite history. Herlings has never stated that. Before this season and the “Sandbagger” talk he always talked about; “Domination”, “Reaching 100 GP Wins”, and beating Everts GP win record, all while in the MX2 class. If you remember correctly Vital had “Herlings Sandbagger” threads before the 2015 season as well. Oddly some choose to forget this. Watch or read old interviews, this is very easy to prove.

MXMattii
5/12/2016 9:14am Edited Date/Time 5/12/2016 9:16am
This is the reason why he isn't racing Supercross... He lacks the skill, pity because Herlings at Genoa, Genova or Bercy would be cool!

TDeath21
5/12/2016 9:17am Edited Date/Time 5/12/2016 9:19am
Here they are, in order of importance/reasoning.

1. Martin isn't that good at SX, which is the most important series over here (money wise).

2. Martin hasn't completely dominated for 5 years. It was just two years ago he burst onto the scene in MX and won the championship. He defended it last year.

3. Even with winning those championships, he's not 3 seconds per lap faster than the next guy, at every race, like Herlings is.

4. Herlings has been a pro much longer than Martin.

All that being said, although I still believe Herlings is a sandbagger, I'll give him a pass due to those injuries he had. If he finishes this season healthy with a championship, nobody will have ground to stand on when people call him a sandbagger in 2017.
Paul333
5/12/2016 9:21am
umagumadog wrote:
Simple, sandbagging is when you race in a class where you have no competition and are clearly faster than everyone else but a faster class with...
Great Post!
5/12/2016 9:24am
UpTiTe wrote:
Because ones a douchey Euro and the other is a clean cut American.
Because Jeffery is a World Champion and the other guy isn't
Motoxdoc
5/12/2016 9:30am
Moens_Andy wrote:
you guys really should stop seeing things with double standards. i just want to know why you think Herlings is and why you think Martin is...
you guys really should stop seeing things with double standards.

i just want to know why you think Herlings is
and why you think Martin is not

if i remember correctly both of them r about the same age both have 2 championships and both have a factory contract

for those who like a shitstorm of double standards
ready set go
It's all speculation and anybody that says otherwise is wrong IMO. With that being said, I'm guessing Herlings is sandbagging because he wants to break all the 250 records (maybe he likes winning easy and he doesn't like to be challenged). Martin isn't sandbagging, but rather he is moving up to the 450's after winning 3 years in the 250 class (even if he doesn't win the championship I assume he'll be doing some winning this summer....but not dominating EVERY SINGLE MOTO like Herlings...even when sick!) because he wants to set a higher goal for himself!....Kind of like Febvre and Gajser. Each year Herlings "proves" himself in the 250 class is one less year he has to do so in the premier 450 class. In short, Herlings goal is to amass 250 records and Martin's goal is to win at the pennicle of the sport.
theToothPerry
5/12/2016 9:38am
Why hasn't anyone started complaining about davalos, not sand bagging but the dudes been on a 250 since like 2007-8 if I remember right
Yeah i dont think its really sandbagging if you arent winning....
mx836
5/12/2016 9:41am
UpTiTe wrote:
Because ones a douchey Euro and the other is a clean cut American.
The Source wrote:
Because Jeffery is a World Champion and the other guy isn't
He's baaaaa-aaaaaaack!
moto282
5/12/2016 10:03am
Moens_Andy wrote:
You r a moron thinking any of these two kids r sandbagging. So what that Herlings has more wins than Martin Herlings is younger than Martin...
You r a moron thinking any of these two kids r sandbagging.

So what that Herlings has more wins than Martin
Herlings is younger than Martin.
Both have 2 championships and r going for three in 2016.

like i said double standards

Makes thread asking people to explain why they think Herlings is sandbagging... then calls people morons for doing just that. Age has nothing to do with sandbagging. You can be a 12 year old B rider and race the C class and dominate against people older than you. Martin hasn't dominated anywhere close to what Herlings has done so there is no double standard.

However, I don't think Herlings is sandbagging. He's racing the pro class so by definition he isn't sandbagging. I do think he is milking the MX2 class for every penny. But MX careers are short and injuries can happen so I don't see anything wrong with that. And if I was KTM I would want him in the class too since I have Cairoli in the MX1 class.

Nice avatar too btw. No agenda behind that, right?
NotCore
5/12/2016 10:12am
Motofinne wrote:
peelout wrote:

Paul333 wrote:
The only people who don’t understand why Herlings is labeled a Sandbagger are his fans on Vital and the Internet troll accounts sent over to Vital...
The only people who don’t understand why Herlings is labeled a Sandbagger are his fans on Vital and the Internet troll accounts sent over to Vital to squash the topic.

It’s not about age, it’s about years of utter domination of a feeder series. Like it or not MX2 is now nothing to FIM/Youthstream but a series designed to get newer/younger riders ready for the premier 450/MX1 class. Hence the under 23 years old age limit and at one time a two titles and be forced to move up rule (Removed specifically for Herlings by the way).

Herlings has not had anyone even remotely at his level since the 2012 MX2 season. No matter if he won the title or not he was light years faster than anyone in the class. These are years of season sweeps, 150 point leads 1/3 of the way through the season, two second per lap faster speed, etc. Just absolute domination. Guillod, Gajser, and Tixier won individual GP’s beating Herlings but nobody could even come close to matching him over a season. Not to forget all of them have moved on to MX1 anyway. Once again it’s about udder domination of a feeder series not his age....

J. Martin, M. Stewart, M. Davalos, etc have competition in each and every race. They aren’t winning every race, turning two second faster lap times than their competition, or getting 150 point leads in their series before the 50% mark. Again, they have massive competition....

I also think the guys stating he would have moved up to MX1 by now if it wasn’t for the injuries are trying to BS us or rewrite history. Herlings has never stated that. Before this season and the “Sandbagger” talk he always talked about; “Domination”, “Reaching 100 GP Wins”, and beating Everts GP win record, all while in the MX2 class. If you remember correctly Vital had “Herlings Sandbagger” threads before the 2015 season as well. Oddly some choose to forget this. Watch or read old interviews, this is very easy to prove.

'It’s not about age, it’s about years of udder domination of a feeder series. '

Surely this can't have happened by accident? ; )
akillerwombat
5/12/2016 10:27am
Paul333 wrote:
The only people who don’t understand why Herlings is labeled a Sandbagger are his fans on Vital and the Internet troll accounts sent over to Vital...

5/12/2016 10:30am
Paul333 wrote:

Paul , i think you should make a fan club LaughingLaughingLaughing
peelout
5/12/2016 10:31am Edited Date/Time 5/12/2016 10:33am
peelout wrote:

Paul333 wrote:

NotCore wrote:

'It’s not about age, it’s about years of udder domination of a feeder series. '

Surely this can't have happened by accident? ; )
Heifer-y Herlings has been milking it in the feeder class for years. i wish everyone could see trough his cheesy interviews for all the bull-shit he spews. the sand-bagging isn't a black and white issue, it's udderly ridiculous how amoosing all this is becoming. maybe he won't moove up because the steaks are too high.

jamma10
5/12/2016 10:38am Edited Date/Time 5/12/2016 3:08pm
Motofinne wrote:
peelout wrote:

Paul333 wrote:

2013 Nerdmoto Interview
Stefan Everts advised you to move up to the 450s this year, what made you stay in the 250s?
Well my contract finished with KTM in 2013 so when Pit [Beirer] and I were discussing a new deal for 2014-15 he said he would like for me to stay in MX2. I’m only 19 so it makes sense to stay and race another year in MX2.

And in 2015?
The plan is to ride MX1 in 2015.

-------------------------------------------------

2013 Motocross Action Magazine interview
WHEN DO YOU MOVE TO THE 450 CLASS?
Last year I rode the KTM 350SXF at the Motocross des Nations. I will make the step up to the big bike either next year or the following year, in 2015. I want to focus on the 250 before my mind wanders to the big bike. I do like the 450. I have shown good speed on the bike, and I think it will be very fun once I race in that class.

2013 Redbull Interview
Looking beyond the end of the season, what's your plan (for 2014)?
“I've been thinking about everything... I don't know yet if I'll be in MX1 or MX2, but I'm definitely going to remain in Europe. Maybe I'll stay one more year in MX2 but if not I just hope to work on my first MX1 world title. It's going to be a really difficult one and way more difficult than last year in MX2 and maybe also this year in MX2.”

What's your preference? Looking at the current regulations you can only defend the MX2 title once before having to move up to MX1, which means you'd have to do that for 2014...
“I can easily do a top five in the first year in MX1, I think even top three and maybe winning a championship. The thing is I'm 18 years old and if I step up to the MX1 class now what am I going to do for the rest of my career? Spend 10, maybe 12 more years – if nothing bad happens – in MX1? I think it's better to stay in MX2 for one more year and maybe dominate.

I really would like to stay in MX2 for one more year and then when I turn 20 it's a good time to move up to the MX1 class.'

2013 Vurb Interview
The rulings in the last couple weeks, allowing you being able to stay in the MX2 class until you turn 23. So what are your plans now and wat do you hope to do for the next few years?
Well, just get six world titles and about 100 GP wins then I’ll move up to MX1 (laughs). I’m just kidding. Definitely I’ll stay in MX2 in 2014. For 2015 I got the option to either race MX2 or MX1 World Championship. So for now just 2014 MX2 and for ’15 we have to wait and see.

Does it depend on anything like injuries or anything like that, or is it just your decision?
It’s basically just my decision because I thought I was too young. Well, I definitely got the speed to obviously race top three in the MX1 class and be winning GPs and battling for the championship. I think I can still learn and get some more experience in the MX1 class. We just have to wait and see when I’ll make the step to the big boys.

This interview was recorded before the 2015 season, sounds as though he plans to move up 2016 does it not?

2015 Motocross Illustrated Interview
Motocross Illustrated: Next year, a lot of people want to see you in the MXGP class. In my opinion it seems it would be pretty stupid as KTM have the strongest guys in both classes and winning titles is what they are about.
Herlings: I mean that is what Pit told me also. I am happy in MX2, but I don’t want to always stay in MX2, but I am only 19 I am young to move up to MXGP, and if I move to MXGP next year I will only be 20 and I will be really young. If I stay people will say I am scared of Cairoli, and I am not scared of Cairoli. What is best for me to do? Because I am so young, when you want to beat Cairoli you need a lot of experience, and he isn’t an easy guy to beat.

Motocross Illustrated: As mentioned before, you want to break records and no rider has won four 125/MX2 titles before. Gaston Rahier, Harry Everts and Alessio Chiodi have won three in a row, so you can equal those guys this year, but I can imagine being the best 125/MX2 rider of all time has a nice ring to it?
Herlings: I mean to win three in a row would be cool, and winning four would be awesome, but let us try and get the third one first. We have two at the moment, and then check out what we do for next year. In a couple of months we will make a decision, but it isn’t just my decision, but also the decision of Red Bull KTM.

Here is an excerpt from an MX Addicts interview a week or so ago;

Everyone I talk to says when Herlings moves up he will dominate. We look at Gajser and Febvre when they moved to the MXGP class and they are dominating. Those guys have won every GP. You are riding a 450, so I am thinking, win the championship, then go to Assen on a 450. I know you don’t want to talk about that stuff, but how cool would that be.
That would be super cool, but I remember I was going to win the championship in 2014 and the planning was to go to Lommel on the 450, go to Unadilla on the 250 and then finish the rest of the season on the big bike. Then do 2015 on the 450.That is why I don’t want to plan anything. I just look week by week and we see how things turn out.

An Open Letter written by Herlings after the 2015 season: "Which class for 2016 is not decided yet."

BritishMX Interview talking about his injuries and how in 2015 he considered packing it in altogether.

2016 MXlarge interview
MXlarge: Beating the top MXGP guys like Desalle, Simpson and Townley, does that give any regrets in not moving up to the MXGP class this year?
Herlings: I mean, when we made the decision three months ago it wasn’t even sure when I would be back on the bike. It could have been end of November, but it could have been end of December, or even January, we didn’t know. We are lucky everything went well and we started riding early. I don’t know, I have mixed feelings, but I don’t have any regrets on my decision, and it’s a good decision for my confidence, to still do another year in MX2. MX2 is easier, there are so many heavy hitters in MXGP, but it isn’t the easy way out, because there is no easy way to win a world motocross championship, be it MX2 or MXGP, but of course it’s easier to win the MX2 than the MXGP, but it still isn’t easy.

2016 MotoXAddicts interview
Febvre and Gajser, are both guys you beat easily on the smaller bike. You have to have one eye on the MXGP class or not?
If I look at the results, it’s a little frustrating, because I beat Febvre every weekend, same with Gajser, so to see those guys winning, they are in the main class and winning. I would love to be there, but after all my injuries I didn’t want to move up just yet. As I mentioned in the pre-season, I didn’t even know when I would be able to ride the bike again, and that isn’t the right preparation for the top class. I can get away with it in the MX2 class, but not in the MXGP class. It turned out I got on the bike quicker than expected, but to win MXGP you need the perfect winter.

I doubt you are scared of the MXGP guys.
Many people think I am scared of them, but that isn’t the issue. They call me a sandbagger or whatever but you know many people forget where I came from and I wish they would respect my decision. I never got a chance to race all the top 450 guys, in the pre-season I beat a lot of them on a lights bike, and obviously with my weight the 450 bike would be a lot better for me. We will see what happens when I move up.

kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
5/12/2016 10:43am Edited Date/Time 5/12/2016 10:43am

This thread is a classic example of beating a dead llama.
RG1
5/12/2016 10:52am
peelout wrote:

Paul333 wrote:

jamma10 wrote:
2013 [url=http://www.nerdmoto.com/jeffrey-herlings-interview/]Nerdmoto Interview[/url] [b]Stefan Everts advised you to move up to the 450s this year, what made you stay in the 250s?[/b] Well my contract finished...
2013 Nerdmoto Interview
Stefan Everts advised you to move up to the 450s this year, what made you stay in the 250s?
Well my contract finished with KTM in 2013 so when Pit [Beirer] and I were discussing a new deal for 2014-15 he said he would like for me to stay in MX2. I’m only 19 so it makes sense to stay and race another year in MX2.

And in 2015?
The plan is to ride MX1 in 2015.

2013 Motocross Action Magazine interview
WHEN DO YOU MOVE TO THE 450 CLASS?
Last year I rode the KTM 350SXF at the Motocross des Nations. I will make the step up to the big bike either next year or the following year, in 2015. I want to focus on the 250 before my mind wanders to the big bike. I do like the 450. I have shown good speed on the bike, and I think it will be very fun once I race in that class.

2013 Redbull Interview
Looking beyond the end of the season, what's your plan (for 2014)?
“I've been thinking about everything... I don't know yet if I'll be in MX1 or MX2, but I'm definitely going to remain in Europe. Maybe I'll stay one more year in MX2 but if not I just hope to work on my first MX1 world title. It's going to be a really difficult one and way more difficult than last year in MX2 and maybe also this year in MX2.”

What's your preference? Looking at the current regulations you can only defend the MX2 title once before having to move up to MX1, which means you'd have to do that for 2014...
“I can easily do a top five in the first year in MX1, I think even top three and maybe winning a championship. The thing is I'm 18 years old and if I step up to the MX1 class now what am I going to do for the rest of my career? Spend 10, maybe 12 more years – if nothing bad happens – in MX1? I think it's better to stay in MX2 for one more year and maybe dominate.

I really would like to stay in MX2 for one more year and then when I turn 20 it's a good time to move up to the MX1 class.'

2013 Vurb Interview
The rulings in the last couple weeks, allowing you being able to stay in the MX2 class until you turn 23. So what are your plans now and wat do you hope to do for the next few years?
Well, just get six world titles and about 100 GP wins then I’ll move up to MX1 (laughs). I’m just kidding. Definitely I’ll stay in MX2 in 2014. For 2015 I got the option to either race MX2 or MX1 World Championship. So for now just 2014 MX2 and for ’15 we have to wait and see.

Does it depend on anything like injuries or anything like that, or is it just your decision?
It’s basically just my decision because I thought I was too young. Well, I definitely got the speed to obviously race top three in the MX1 class and be winning GPs and battling for the championship. I think I can still learn and get some more experience in the MX1 class. We just have to wait and see when I’ll make the step to the big boys.

This interview was recorded before the 2015 season, sounds as though he plans to move up 2016 does it not?

2015 Motocross Illustrated Interview
Motocross Illustrated: Next year, a lot of people want to see you in the MXGP class. In my opinion it seems it would be pretty stupid as KTM have the strongest guys in both classes and winning titles is what they are about.
Herlings: I mean that is what Pit told me also. I am happy in MX2, but I don’t want to always stay in MX2, but I am only 19 I am young to move up to MXGP, and if I move to MXGP next year I will only be 20 and I will be really young. If I stay people will say I am scared of Cairoli, and I am not scared of Cairoli. What is best for me to do? Because I am so young, when you want to beat Cairoli you need a lot of experience, and he isn’t an easy guy to beat.

Motocross Illustrated: As mentioned before, you want to break records and no rider has won four 125/MX2 titles before. Gaston Rahier, Harry Everts and Alessio Chiodi have won three in a row, so you can equal those guys this year, but I can imagine being the best 125/MX2 rider of all time has a nice ring to it?
Herlings: I mean to win three in a row would be cool, and winning four would be awesome, but let us try and get the third one first. We have two at the moment, and then check out what we do for next year. In a couple of months we will make a decision, but it isn’t just my decision, but also the decision of Red Bull KTM.

Here is an excerpt from an MX Addicts interview a week or so ago;

Everyone I talk to says when Herlings moves up he will dominate. We look at Gajser and Febvre when they moved to the MXGP class and they are dominating. Those guys have won every GP. You are riding a 450, so I am thinking, win the championship, then go to Assen on a 450. I know you don’t want to talk about that stuff, but how cool would that be.
That would be super cool, but I remember I was going to win the championship in 2014 and the planning was to go to Lommel on the 450, go to Unadilla on the 250 and then finish the rest of the season on the big bike. Then do 2015 on the 450.That is why I don’t want to plan anything. I just look week by week and we see how things turn out.

An Open Letter written by Herlings after the 2015 season: "Which class for 2016 is not decided yet."

BritishMX Interview talking about his injuries and how in 2015 he considered packing it in altogether.

2016 MXlarge interview
MXlarge: Beating the top MXGP guys like Desalle, Simpson and Townley, does that give any regrets in not moving up to the MXGP class this year?
Herlings: I mean, when we made the decision three months ago it wasn’t even sure when I would be back on the bike. It could have been end of November, but it could have been end of December, or even January, we didn’t know. We are lucky everything went well and we started riding early. I don’t know, I have mixed feelings, but I don’t have any regrets on my decision, and it’s a good decision for my confidence, to still do another year in MX2. MX2 is easier, there are so many heavy hitters in MXGP, but it isn’t the easy way out, because there is no easy way to win a world motocross championship, be it MX2 or MXGP, but of course it’s easier to win the MX2 than the MXGP, but it still isn’t easy.

2016 MotoXAddicts interview
Febvre and Gajser, are both guys you beat easily on the smaller bike. You have to have one eye on the MXGP class or not?
If I look at the results, it’s a little frustrating, because I beat Febvre every weekend, same with Gajser, so to see those guys winning, they are in the main class and winning. I would love to be there, but after all my injuries I didn’t want to move up just yet. As I mentioned in the pre-season, I didn’t even know when I would be able to ride the bike again, and that isn’t the right preparation for the top class. I can get away with it in the MX2 class, but not in the MXGP class. It turned out I got on the bike quicker than expected, but to win MXGP you need the perfect winter.

I doubt you are scared of the MXGP guys.
Many people think I am scared of them, but that isn’t the issue. They call me a sandbagger or whatever but you know many people forget where I came from and I wish they would respect my decision. I never got a chance to race all the top 450 guys, in the pre-season I beat a lot of them on a lights bike, and obviously with my weight the 450 bike would be a lot better for me. We will see what happens when I move up.

Laughing
RG1
5/12/2016 11:00am
Another thing to consider, on the Pulp show this week they were talking about the percentage pie of J Mart winning the 250 outdoor title. JT said probably 80%, maybe higher. So with all this talk of him always having competition, if Webb's out, who in that class can get anywhere near beating him for a title? No-one
ATKpilot99
5/12/2016 11:13am
RG1 wrote:
Another thing to consider, on the Pulp show this week they were talking about the percentage pie of J Mart winning the 250 outdoor title. JT...
Another thing to consider, on the Pulp show this week they were talking about the percentage pie of J Mart winning the 250 outdoor title. JT said probably 80%, maybe higher. So with all this talk of him always having competition, if Webb's out, who in that class can get anywhere near beating him for a title? No-one
Certainly not the guy who crushed the MX2 field at Glen Helen last year. Wink
RG1
5/12/2016 11:29am
RG1 wrote:
Another thing to consider, on the Pulp show this week they were talking about the percentage pie of J Mart winning the 250 outdoor title. JT...
ATKpilot99 wrote:
Do you think Nelson can take it to Martin on a consistent basis though? He was superb at Glen Helen but he rides there all the time. I hope there's a good title fight, but without Webb there I think everyone else is too inconsistent
DonM
5/12/2016 11:32am
RG1 wrote:
ATKpilot99 wrote:
RG1 wrote:
Do you think Nelson can take it to Martin on a consistent basis though? He was superb at Glen Helen but he rides there all the...
Do you think Nelson can take it to Martin on a consistent basis though? He was superb at Glen Helen but he rides there all the time. I hope there's a good title fight, but without Webb there I think everyone else is too inconsistent
I believe you missed his point....
RG1
5/12/2016 11:41am
DonM wrote:
I believe you missed his point....
No, I got it. But people have been saying MX2 is weak for years, then when those guys move up and kill it in the 450 class everyone changes tune. There's some great riders in the MX2 class. Glen Helen is practice track to the stars in the US much like Lommel is in Europe. It was always going to be a tough ask for one of them to win there

Post a reply to: please explain why Herlings is sandbagging and Martin is not

The Latest