opinions?

ToolMaker
Fantasy
927th
12/22/2011 9:01pm Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 3:36pm
So the other day I saw a thread asking for opinions on some shirt designs and it's clear that this crowd tells it like it is. So, I would like to ask your opinions on a new tool I designed and made. it seems every time I try to get the counter shaft sprocket fastener off on my son's bike it's a real challenge. I know there are several ways but I wanted something simple and I don't like impact guns. Anyway, some friends have encouraged me to try and do something with it. I think it's great way to have one less problem. My web site is http://sprocketstuff.com and there's a short video. Since you guys don't hold back with your opinions, this seems like the place to get the best feedback, good or bad.
Thanks,
ToolMaker
|
70sSuperstar
12/23/2011 2:38am
very nice. have not seen this before. getting soon.
70sSuperstar
12/23/2011 2:43am
i was the screwdriver through the driven gear guy
MxSkillz
12/23/2011 3:38am Edited Date/Time 12/23/2011 3:40am
I think this is an awesome idea.. I always use my clutch holding tool which doubles as a gear holder which works great.. but its something i never take to the track.. With this i can fit it in my toolbox no problem and take it anywhere.. im in, just saved u to my favorites and will be ordering one after the holidays, great job!

( By the way.. ur thread should have way more views in 6 hours than it did, i recommend changing the title of the thread to New Gear Holding Tool or something to grab viwers in..)
WSR
12/23/2011 4:00am
Good idea. Maybe should be redesigned to be universal instead of for a certain tooth size sprocket. $30 isn't bad for one, but I'd need 3 or 4 of them. Reminds me of the Motion Pro Gear Jammer.

The Shop

TX24
12/23/2011 4:15am
Good idea. yea, universal would be even better.
ToolMaker
Fantasy
927th
12/23/2011 5:51am
First, I want to thank you guys for taking the time to respond. Then address the adjustable tool idea. We wrote the patent to cover an adjustable tool to have that option at some time. When deciding what to make, we figured most people would want just one size and a smaller percentage would need multiple sizes. Since it was way cheaper to produce a dedicated size as opposed to an adjustable tool, we thought to get off the ground we would go with what we could sell at a lower price point but give better pricing to customers who need multiple sizes instead of charging a higher price to everyone for an adjustable unit. It's seems it's really expensive to create and introduce a new tool. The first production run, the tools were not strong enough and they all went into the trash and were designed stronger.
Thanks again, we appreciate any feedback and your positive feed back helps motivate us to keep at it.
ToolMaker
MotoChief
12/23/2011 8:22am
Awesome! Very good/simple idea. Hope you sell thousands!
mmcmx
12/23/2011 8:32am
Good idea!
Daystar99
12/23/2011 8:33am
ToolMaker wrote:
First, I want to thank you guys for taking the time to respond. Then address the adjustable tool idea. We wrote the patent to cover an...
First, I want to thank you guys for taking the time to respond. Then address the adjustable tool idea. We wrote the patent to cover an adjustable tool to have that option at some time. When deciding what to make, we figured most people would want just one size and a smaller percentage would need multiple sizes. Since it was way cheaper to produce a dedicated size as opposed to an adjustable tool, we thought to get off the ground we would go with what we could sell at a lower price point but give better pricing to customers who need multiple sizes instead of charging a higher price to everyone for an adjustable unit. It's seems it's really expensive to create and introduce a new tool. The first production run, the tools were not strong enough and they all went into the trash and were designed stronger.
Thanks again, we appreciate any feedback and your positive feed back helps motivate us to keep at it.
ToolMaker
Which feature(s) are you trying to patent? Back in the day (late '60's) the old four speed Huskies came with a counter-shaft sprocket removal tool very similar to this.
12/23/2011 8:33am
for starters you could drill holes and make it adjustable for different sprocket sizes by using small bolts.

but why not just use an impact?

people buy too much crap.
txmxer
12/23/2011 8:36am
Video format not supported on iPhone. Sad
peelout
12/23/2011 9:27am
great idea
ToolMaker
Fantasy
927th
12/23/2011 9:41am Edited Date/Time 12/23/2011 9:46am
for starters you could drill holes and make it adjustable for different sprocket sizes by using small bolts. but why not just use an impact? people...
for starters you could drill holes and make it adjustable for different sprocket sizes by using small bolts.

but why not just use an impact?

people buy too much crap.
One of the initial ones I made used bolt heads for that, 1/4-20 allen head fits the valley of the sprocket perfect. I was thinking that people would not want to spend the time to be moving bolts around, maybe a bad decision? I'll have to revisit that.
As far as why not an impact gun? I'm just not a fan of impact guns. I don't like the metal to metal clank and somewhere there has to be damage from that.
I appreciate the feed back
Thanks
12/23/2011 9:45am
ToolMaker wrote:
One of the initial ones I made used bolt heads for that, 1/4-20 allen head fits the valley of the sprocket perfect. I was thinking that...
One of the initial ones I made used bolt heads for that, 1/4-20 allen head fits the valley of the sprocket perfect. I was thinking that people would not want to spend the time to be moving bolts around, maybe a bad decision? I'll have to revisit that.
As far as why not an impact gun? I'm just not a fan of impact guns. I don't like the metal to metal clank and somewhere there has to be damage from that.
I appreciate the feed back
Thanks
I think there is a market for this for sure. I personally would never buy one but I HATE working on Motorcycles. I ride them and when they need work I get a new one.

your idea to use allen bolts with round heads is a great one. Most people would probably never move them but they would have that option instead of buying multiple tools.

Good luck man!
burn1986
Fantasy
3280th
12/23/2011 9:58am
i wish I was that smart.
jmc2
Fantasy
1690th
12/23/2011 4:39pm
Cool idea...makes it that much easier....
SLAPAHO
Fantasy
648th
12/23/2011 10:54pm
shape it like a skull and it'll sell like hotcakes
racerx217
12/23/2011 11:02pm
I have one just like that, got it from a guy at the track like 20 years ago, i thought he said he already had a patent on it. Oh well whatever i guess.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1568th
12/23/2011 11:16pm Edited Date/Time 12/23/2011 11:21pm
ToolMaker wrote:
So the other day I saw a thread asking for opinions on some shirt designs and it's clear that this crowd tells it like it is...
So the other day I saw a thread asking for opinions on some shirt designs and it's clear that this crowd tells it like it is. So, I would like to ask your opinions on a new tool I designed and made. it seems every time I try to get the counter shaft sprocket fastener off on my son's bike it's a real challenge. I know there are several ways but I wanted something simple and I don't like impact guns. Anyway, some friends have encouraged me to try and do something with it. I think it's great way to have one less problem. My web site is http://sprocketstuff.com and there's a short video. Since you guys don't hold back with your opinions, this seems like the place to get the best feedback, good or bad.
Thanks,
ToolMaker
Why don't you like impact guns ? They are fast ,easy you can get air or barttery powered and do the job in a fraction of the time it would take to use your tool. seems to me like it would be a giant step backwards. And NO an impact gun does not damage the gears.
Suns_PSD
12/23/2011 11:26pm
lostboy819 wrote:
Why don't you like impact guns ? They are fast ,easy you can get air or barttery powered and do the job in a fraction of...
Why don't you like impact guns ? They are fast ,easy you can get air or barttery powered and do the job in a fraction of the time it would take to use your tool. seems to me like it would be a giant step backwards. And NO an impact gun does not damage the gears.
WHS
ToolMaker
Fantasy
927th
12/24/2011 6:44am
lostboy819 wrote:
Why don't you like impact guns ? They are fast ,easy you can get air or barttery powered and do the job in a fraction of...
I guess that's a never ending debate and I'm on the side that it does potentially damage the gears. But even if it doesn't 49 of 50 times, why risk it. Isn't that why they call it an "impact" gun? Because there is a metal to metal impact which follows through any and all resistance. Ok, the motor is designed to have a controlled rapid expansion of gas to smoothly push the piston down. isn't that why we spend the extra bucks to run race gas to prevent pre-detonation which potentially could cause damage? Because it is more violent than that smooth push the metal is designed to take? We don't say no worries the engine is designed to have an explosion in the cyl so it's no problem. I realize I'm not going to change any one's mind on if it does or doesn't cause damage, the same as you can't convince me it never will. But if I'm wrong, no problem, if you're wrong, it's expensive. Again why risk it? But, going the other way, how do you get the exact recommended torque on application with an impact gun? I'll grant you the impact gun is fast, but what did you save 15 seconds? I'm not trying to say your'e wrong and I'm right but you asked for my thoughts. lastly, we go to great lengths to minimize or prevent damage, why introduce potential damage? That's the better question. And my last reason is, if someone set a rock on my head and pushed on it, it probably wouldn't hurt. If they threw that same rock at my head, it probably will.
Ken
TerryK
12/24/2011 7:07am
Ken, this is a great idea for the average rider who dosen't change up his gearing. The adjustable tool idea is the way to go imo. Also, what about chains on minis and peewee bikes? Also, a tool that works with the engine out would be great!

That said, and as a guy that has a background in motorcycle mechanics, I can honestly say that if using an impact is possibly damaging the gearbox, you are doing it wrong. One should NEVER have the transmission in gear when using an impact gun. If the trans in in neutral, the gears arent meshing so there is no chance of damaging the tooth faces. I use a standard Vice Grip chain holder tool along with the impact gun.
bwh998
12/24/2011 7:26am
cool. and the price is good too.

i will be getting one.
ToolMaker
Fantasy
927th
12/24/2011 8:12am
TerryK wrote:
Ken, this is a great idea for the average rider who dosen't change up his gearing. The adjustable tool idea is the way to go imo...
Ken, this is a great idea for the average rider who dosen't change up his gearing. The adjustable tool idea is the way to go imo. Also, what about chains on minis and peewee bikes? Also, a tool that works with the engine out would be great!

That said, and as a guy that has a background in motorcycle mechanics, I can honestly say that if using an impact is possibly damaging the gearbox, you are doing it wrong. One should NEVER have the transmission in gear when using an impact gun. If the trans in in neutral, the gears arent meshing so there is no chance of damaging the tooth faces. I use a standard Vice Grip chain holder tool along with the impact gun.
Thanks Terry,
Keep in mind this is a starting point. We hope to expand on what we offer. We had to make some guesses on what we could sell. Based on trying to keep within a certain price point (under $30) this turned out to be the design. We though it would be easier to introduce a lower priced tool. It's not on the website yet but we do have discounted pricing for those who need multiple sizes. I don't want to get into that as I don't want this thread to be seen as an unpaid advertiser. What I do hope to do is learn from the feedback the next best direction if and when we ever make money off this, what next to offer. Presently, I've spent so much money so far, we need to see some sales prior to producing another design. Peewees, quads, and street bikes are on the hit list if this is well received.
Being in the industry, you know what the markup is a shop needs, so you know what I have to wholesale it for. Now to make any money you have to produce it for even half of that. That's not much to work with. But if we are hearing potential customers would rather pay x amount more for an adjustable tool of course that will influence what we do.
As far as how you use the impact gun, that's probably the safest way to do it that I've heard. And, that's after the engines out of the bike? You would be surprised at all the different creative ways people do that I can't believe. One guy says he puts a steel pipe across the swingarm through the wheel. All kinds of crazy ways. I personally have been anti-impact gun since many years ago when the tire store warped my brake rotor installing wheels on our truck with an impact gun. What are the odds of that? But it happened.
Responses like yours are very helpful, thanks
TM
Chili
12/24/2011 8:47am
Cool invention, if it was around years ago before I bought an impact gun I likely would have shelled the cash for it.
MotoChief
12/24/2011 8:54am
I think the best part of this tool is that it will fit in any tool box.
level
12/24/2011 10:35am
Very impressed. Nice job. I see the factory mechanics using these for sure.
level
12/24/2011 10:35am
P.S.
You should just send the majority of teams one of these for free. Bet they would love it.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1568th
12/24/2011 12:28pm
level wrote:
P.S.
You should just send the majority of teams one of these for free. Bet they would love it.
Woohoo
lostboy819
Fantasy
1568th
12/24/2011 12:29pm
level wrote:
Very impressed. Nice job. I see the factory mechanics using these for sure.
WoohooWoohooWoohoo

Post a reply to: opinions?

The Latest