one Motocross rider suing another and our Local Track

dkg
8/23/2012 11:56am
The flagger example above was determine by one court to possibly being Gross Negligence. ("carelessness in reckless disregard for the safety or lives of others, which is so great it appears to be a conscious violation of other people's rights to safety") Read a newspaper article about this about a year or so ago. I was curious about what participants on this board think of the example. What do you expect when on a track? I'll add to example some comments made in the article/court opinion:

In the sport of motocross, an owner/operator of a track has a duty to minimize the risk of a coparticipant crashing into a second coparticipant who has fallen on the track. Providing a warning system of some sort, such as caution flaggers to alert riders of a fallen participant, would assist in minimizing the risk of riders colliding with one another. If a rider received adequate warning of a fallen rider on the track, then the rider could change his or her course to avoid the fallen rider. Further, providing a warning system, such as caution flaggers, would not alter the sport, because it would not prevent riders from jumping and traveling at high speeds, rather it would provide the riders with information so that they could alter their course as necessary. In sum, we conclude that the owner/operator of a motocross track has a duty to provide a warning system, such as caution flaggers, to alert other riders of a fallen participant on the track.

The record also includes the declaration of a motocross safety expert. The safety expert declared that the common practice for motocross tracks is to have caution flaggers at their assigned posts at all times, whether the track is being used for racing or practicing. The safety expert declared that the lack of a caution flagger at the platform near RIDERS accidents, was “inexcusable, a blatant disregard for riders' safety, and criminal.” The safety expert also stated that not having a caution flagger on the platform “greatly fell below the standard of care and custom and practice established in the motorcross industry.”

In this example, what should be the outcome?
tapkawiman
8/23/2012 12:03pm
tapkawiman wrote:
I dont think Liebeck should of got a dime.... IMO If someone is ignorant enough to stick something between their legs that they now fully well...
I dont think Liebeck should of got a dime.... IMO

If someone is ignorant enough to stick something between their legs that they now fully well could burn them(and if you have drank coffee or hot chocolate you know that) then it is their own stupidity and it should of never seen the inside of a courtroom. Its not like they gave her a cup and the cup failed.
jndmx wrote:
You should have a little more knowledge before you speak....... [i]Liebeck placed the cup between her knees and attempted to remove the plastic lid from the...
You should have a little more knowledge before you speak.......

Liebeck placed the cup between her knees and attempted to remove the plastic lid from the cup. As she removed the lid, the entire contents of the cup spilled into her lap.

During discovery, McDonalds produced documents showing more than 700 claims by people burned by its coffee between 1982 and 1992. Some claims involved third-degree burns substantially similar to Liebecks. This history documented McDonalds' knowledge about the extent and nature of this hazard.

McDonalds also said during discovery that, based on a consultants advice, it held its coffee at between 180 and 190 degrees fahrenheit to maintain optimum taste. He admitted that he had not evaluated the safety ramifications at this temperature. Other establishments sell coffee at substantially lower temperatures, and coffee served at home is generally 135 to 140 degrees.

http://www.lectlaw.com/files/cur78.htm
Oh I see what your saying if Micky D's would of had the coffee at the typical household temperature she wouldnt of been hurt???

At 133 degrees for 15 seconds 3rd degree burns...
At 140 degrees for 5 seconds 3rd degree burns...
(According to the National Burn Foundation)

And the documents showing 700 claims in a 10 year period??? Ummm whats that work out to 1.4 people per state in 12 months time (or .1 person per month per state) over a ten year period. When they serve what some 30 to 40 million per day...

At some point people have to start accepting responsibility for their own actions (which i would hope includes sticking a cup of coffee between any part of your legs whether its 135 or 190)
tapkawiman
8/23/2012 12:15pm
disbanded wrote:
Maybe McDonald's should have helped pay for her hospital bills, but in no way should she have been awarded over 1.7 million dollars and made rich...
Maybe McDonald's should have helped pay for her hospital bills, but in no way should she have been awarded over 1.7 million dollars and made rich from the incident.
downandup wrote:
Don't you read??? You and Tapakwiman don't even know the story and you are commenting on something you don't even know about. You are following the...
Don't you read???

You and Tapakwiman don't even know the story and you are commenting on something you don't even know about. You are following the TMZ gossip trail on that story!!!!! The story the insurance companies through out!

Originally she sued for only $20,000 (medical bills plus future med bills), but Micky's only offered her $800! She ultmately received, $640,000.
Im not diputing that McDonald's should not of helped her...

Hell I cant stand that place.

Just think people should take more responsibility for their own actions.
dehner47
8/23/2012 12:41pm
what alot of you dont realize about the original topic is.. it is in New Jersey. of course kids gonna win money. we are the largest sue happy state in the country. why you think we only have one track in the whole state. and not even a top of the line motorsports park can get insured to open up a mx track. cause they know whats gonna happen.

WELCOME TO THE GARDEN STATE!!!!

The Shop

downandup
8/23/2012 1:03pm
dehner47 wrote:
what alot of you dont realize about the original topic is.. it is in New Jersey. of course kids gonna win money. we are the largest...
what alot of you dont realize about the original topic is.. it is in New Jersey. of course kids gonna win money. we are the largest sue happy state in the country. why you think we only have one track in the whole state. and not even a top of the line motorsports park can get insured to open up a mx track. cause they know whats gonna happen.

Can you prove that is why tracks don't open?

It is probably more along the lines that people don't want them in their backyards...........
downandup
8/23/2012 1:06pm
disbanded wrote:
Maybe McDonald's should have helped pay for her hospital bills, but in no way should she have been awarded over 1.7 million dollars and made rich...
Maybe McDonald's should have helped pay for her hospital bills, but in no way should she have been awarded over 1.7 million dollars and made rich from the incident.
downandup wrote:
Don't you read??? You and Tapakwiman don't even know the story and you are commenting on something you don't even know about. You are following the...
Don't you read???

You and Tapakwiman don't even know the story and you are commenting on something you don't even know about. You are following the TMZ gossip trail on that story!!!!! The story the insurance companies through out!

Originally she sued for only $20,000 (medical bills plus future med bills), but Micky's only offered her $800! She ultmately received, $640,000.
tapkawiman wrote:
Im not diputing that McDonald's should not of helped her... Hell I cant stand that place. Just think people should take more responsibility for their own...
Im not diputing that McDonald's should not of helped her...

Hell I cant stand that place.

Just think people should take more responsibility for their own actions.
Well, how else would she ever get McD's attention to get her medical bills paid? How else would they get them to turn down the heat on the coffee?? They have to sue them and hit them in their pocket book! The only thing big corporations know is $$$$$. The little guy can't do anything against the big corporations unless they hit them where it counts!!!

The corporations need to take more responsibility for their own actionss!
jndmx
8/23/2012 1:50pm
tapkawiman wrote:
Oh I see what your saying if Micky D's would of had the coffee at the typical household temperature she wouldnt of been hurt??? At 133...
Oh I see what your saying if Micky D's would of had the coffee at the typical household temperature she wouldnt of been hurt???

At 133 degrees for 15 seconds 3rd degree burns...
At 140 degrees for 5 seconds 3rd degree burns...
(According to the National Burn Foundation)

And the documents showing 700 claims in a 10 year period??? Ummm whats that work out to 1.4 people per state in 12 months time (or .1 person per month per state) over a ten year period. When they serve what some 30 to 40 million per day...

At some point people have to start accepting responsibility for their own actions (which i would hope includes sticking a cup of coffee between any part of your legs whether its 135 or 190)
McDonalds served her coffee that was 20 degrees below boiling, her burns were instant and severe.
tapkawiman
8/23/2012 2:05pm
I am not trying to defend McDonald's.
What I am trying to say is that if she hadn't stuck something between her legs that would burn her this would not ha.,ve happened.
HONDAMX155
8/23/2012 3:24pm
Wow this Quote took a left turn.... I posted this in Regards to Motocross and to bring light to that you, me or anyone can be sued regardless if you sign a waiver or not... Oh best part is, unless you have your MX bike insured they person will go after you personally.. ie garnish your wages, a lien against your home, or take any assets you may have... Soo my advice is call Geico, Progressive or Foremost and pay 250 a year for full coverage ins on your bike..... Yes this was on the racetrack on a practice day... So lets keep this Moto biased here ok ....And Yes the Cost of Insurance is one of the Main reasons why we dont have more MX Tracks in New Jersey, I mean look at Raceway Park, They have been around since the 60s.. Shit I use to race big wheels there in 78... and even they have to pay out the A$$ for a yearly premium.. Think Im Joking... try My Full coverage ins on a 94 pick up truck was 2500 a year when I was 20 yrs old.... and that was back in 96 so things have gotten way outta control since then.....
dehner47
8/23/2012 4:19pm
dehner47 wrote:
what alot of you dont realize about the original topic is.. it is in New Jersey. of course kids gonna win money. we are the largest...

downandup wrote:
Can you prove that is why tracks don't open?

It is probably more along the lines that people don't want them in their backyards...........
yes i can. and so can anyone that has lived in NJ and has been involved with mx tracks in the state of NJ. good friend of mine ran Atco SX before it closed this past season. and also have a close family friend who is on the board at New Jersey Motorsports Park. so yes, i do know high insurance is part of the reasons NJ cant get or keep open an MX track. even at a high dollar, top level motorsports park like NJMP.

along with noise and price of property (rent, lease, purchase)
downandup
8/23/2012 5:07pm
Oh, so it's the high cost of insurance that is the problem!!!!! NOT sue happy people like you originally stated! Insurance companies blame it on lawsuits, but in fact, lawsuits have gone DOWN all across the country! The insurance companies are feeding us this bullshit, and everyone is buying it hook, line, and sinker!!!!
JustMX
8/23/2012 6:09pm
Down and up,

I am curious as to exactly what experience you have with litigation in the motocross business?
BD49
8/24/2012 1:37pm
BuDz34 wrote:
The shitty part is.. because this is such a cheap and ridiculous case of someone being a completer retard he will probably win because this is...
The shitty part is.. because this is such a cheap and ridiculous case of someone being a completer retard he will probably win because this is America King of politics.. I mean if some old bitch can beat out mcdonalds for dumping hot coffee on her self then the semantics of the so called judicial system is completely a disgusting page of ignorance.. The part I hate about our country!!
Just a clarification, the McDonalds coffee lady only got awarded money because a jury made up of average joes gave it to her. The award reduced...
Just a clarification, the McDonalds coffee lady only got awarded money because a jury made up of average joes gave it to her. The award reduced by the trial judge (the parties settled on appeal). So, actually, the legal system ended up as a check on what the public was willing to do.

That said, New Mexico tends to be a plaintiffs' friendly state, not all of them are.
I had that same view of the McDonalds thing until I saw the documentary and how McD's had been told to not make their coffee so hot. Very very interesting documentary....
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
8/24/2012 1:42pm
Well, you know, a well-respected federal judge in another case concluded that hot is how you make coffee (interesting discussion of the chemistry), and that if you don't want it that hot, don't order it.

The end game was that McDonald hasn't really reduced the temp of their coffee, but did upgrade their warning that hot coffee can burn you and you need to be careful with it if you buy it to drink in the car.

Go figure.
motogrady
8/24/2012 3:54pm
Well, you know, a well-respected federal judge in another case concluded that hot is how you make coffee (interesting discussion of the chemistry), and that if...
Well, you know, a well-respected federal judge in another case concluded that hot is how you make coffee (interesting discussion of the chemistry), and that if you don't want it that hot, don't order it.

The end game was that McDonald hasn't really reduced the temp of their coffee, but did upgrade their warning that hot coffee can burn you and you need to be careful with it if you buy it to drink in the car.

Go figure.
Well, maybe that's what's to be expected.
The guy that sells the stuff likes to sell it hot.
I'd bitch if it wasn't, and I know others would also.
And he as a businessman must see that.
If he has to change the packing a bit to maybe help a few morons out, so be it.
Should he have done it sooner, before the accident?
In this case, I say no, it's common knowledge that coffee, soup, even some sauces can be hot.

She was just careless, got burned for it , and want's someone else to pay.
DPR250R
8/24/2012 6:18pm
I shattered my wrist pretty bad at e-town in 2000. I think the bills came to around $60,000.

I got multiple letters from my insurance company asking for details. I was young at the time but caught on to the "tone" of the letters. They wanted to go after someone. I don't remember exactly what I wrote but it was along the lines of "It was my fault, I am not going to sue". Well long story short.... they went bankrupt and I got stuck with some of the bills.... sucked but what are you going to do?

Thing is... like others have posted... sometimes insurance companies go after any means necessary to recoup money they shell out.

On another note... I have gotten older and slower... to the point I actually signed up for the "C" class last week at e-town cause I thought maybe I was too slow for the "A - B" class. What a mistake. These beginners were really beginners in the sense that they had no idea how to hold a line.... slamming on the brakes up the face of some of the bigger jumps... etc.... I will never sign up for the "C"; class again. I will just be the slow guy in the fast class that the other riders should easily find their way around cause I am very steady and predictable.
TerryK
8/25/2012 7:22am
downandup wrote:
Oh, so it's the high cost of insurance that is the problem!!!!! NOT sue happy people like you originally stated! Insurance companies blame it on lawsuits...
Oh, so it's the high cost of insurance that is the problem!!!!! NOT sue happy people like you originally stated! Insurance companies blame it on lawsuits, but in fact, lawsuits have gone DOWN all across the country! The insurance companies are feeding us this bullshit, and everyone is buying it hook, line, and sinker!!!!
Why so angry? Lighten up Francis.
Cook441
8/25/2012 8:01am Edited Date/Time 8/25/2012 8:28am
Handled Litigated claims for a well known insurance company for 6 years. First off the release we sign is a bluff/deterant. You cannot sign away your right to pursue legal action against an unforseen event. Any lawyer worth his or her weight in salt would pierce the release easily. Second I never saw the OP but co-defendant sounds like a shotgun approach to hit as many pockets or preferably insurance pockets as possible.

The track has the easiest time getting out unless they did or made something unusually dangerous for MX standards.

I once handled a claim involving a gal that was driving her car when a golf ball broke her car window and she crashed into several people. There was a lawsuit against her, our insured (the golfer) and the course. The Golfer was actually liable (not the course) and we defended him under his homeowners policy. (Look there for coverage =(( lawyer to defend you)) though they may deny because of motorized vehicle involvement).

The last thing I would check is see what kind of an area you are in..for instance western washington very liberal and juries hand out money even when there is little liability. Eastern washington very Conservative and judges and jury tend to tell folks to pound sand-

I am no lawyer but if you need general tips PM me-
Cook441
8/25/2012 8:11am Edited Date/Time 8/25/2012 8:31am
downandup wrote:
Oh, so it's the high cost of insurance that is the problem!!!!! NOT sue happy people like you originally stated! Insurance companies blame it on lawsuits...
TerryK wrote:
Why so angry? Lighten up Francis.
Go work in a claims office for one year then come back....Id be curious of your view. I did it for many years and my wife still handles Liability claims- Lets see she just handled one where the tenant was almost 400lbs. He sat on the toilet shattered it cut his chode and filed suit against the landlord. Apparently most standard toilets have a weight limit and her insured should have asked the guy his current weight(which would have probably generated a different lawsuit) and then added the customized toilet.

Thats an exciting difference from the my neck, my back, I want 3k bullshit that rolls in every hr every day-

Most if not all of these time and money consuming issues never see the light of day in a courtroom, they are not tracked as a lawsuit but they still exist, are analyzed and often negotiated and settled costing lots of money.

Trust me bud trust me-
Cook441
8/25/2012 8:24am Edited Date/Time 8/25/2012 8:32am
HONDAMX155 wrote:
Wow this Quote took a left turn.... I posted this in Regards to Motocross and to bring light to that you, me or anyone can be...
Wow this Quote took a left turn.... I posted this in Regards to Motocross and to bring light to that you, me or anyone can be sued regardless if you sign a waiver or not... Oh best part is, unless you have your MX bike insured they person will go after you personally.. ie garnish your wages, a lien against your home, or take any assets you may have... Soo my advice is call Geico, Progressive or Foremost and pay 250 a year for full coverage ins on your bike..... Yes this was on the racetrack on a practice day... So lets keep this Moto biased here ok ....And Yes the Cost of Insurance is one of the Main reasons why we dont have more MX Tracks in New Jersey, I mean look at Raceway Park, They have been around since the 60s.. Shit I use to race big wheels there in 78... and even they have to pay out the A$$ for a yearly premium.. Think Im Joking... try My Full coverage ins on a 94 pick up truck was 2500 a year when I was 20 yrs old.... and that was back in 96 so things have gotten way outta control since then.....
I think you mean liability ins- "full" is to cover the vehicle from theft etc and is usually required if there is a note on the bike (which nowdays at 8k a pop is likely).

Liab only is probably pretty cheap- and or if you have an umbrella (check policy) but I suspect your good-

Thanks for posting sorry for all your trouble.
HONDAMX155
8/26/2012 6:23pm
DPR250R wrote:
I shattered my wrist pretty bad at e-town in 2000. I think the bills came to around $60,000. I got multiple letters from my insurance company...
I shattered my wrist pretty bad at e-town in 2000. I think the bills came to around $60,000.

I got multiple letters from my insurance company asking for details. I was young at the time but caught on to the "tone" of the letters. They wanted to go after someone. I don't remember exactly what I wrote but it was along the lines of "It was my fault, I am not going to sue". Well long story short.... they went bankrupt and I got stuck with some of the bills.... sucked but what are you going to do?

Thing is... like others have posted... sometimes insurance companies go after any means necessary to recoup money they shell out.

On another note... I have gotten older and slower... to the point I actually signed up for the "C" class last week at e-town cause I thought maybe I was too slow for the "A - B" class. What a mistake. These beginners were really beginners in the sense that they had no idea how to hold a line.... slamming on the brakes up the face of some of the bigger jumps... etc.... I will never sign up for the "C"; class again. I will just be the slow guy in the fast class that the other riders should easily find their way around cause I am very steady and predictable.
All depends on the day, if there is a National nearby you cna guaruntee to be some Fasttttt gusy there... And Nowadays some of these Novice kids are insane since they came off minis... Butt all in all as long as ya have fun thats all that matters... as far as the insurance.. Just get the Full coverage its peanuts more and your fully protected from theft as well..

Post a reply to: one Motocross rider suing another and our Local Track

The Latest