not a fan of the new dilla track..

zippy895
Edited Date/Time 1/25/2012 12:30pm
i miss the cows graizing in the grass off season,not this dirt prepped crap. see racerx link w/decoster walking it.
http://www.racerxonline.com/article/unadilla-ilap.aspx
|
motoxer68
Fantasy
1399th
8/13/2010 7:25pm
I'm with you. I went there a couple of times in the late 70's & early 80's---different place completely. It is still a very cool track with a great layout and great history, but really only a shadow of the track back then. In the early days, each year the bumps from the previous year were still there; overgrown with knee high grass and waiting to beat you up from the very first lap of practice. Now it seems it's just becoming more and more like the rest of the tracks--fully prepped, ripped deep, resculpted, man made jumps everywhere. Just the way it is. I don't have to like it but I still can't wait for tomorrow.
Slow
8/13/2010 7:30pm
They need to leave parts of the track covered in grass. Like the old days.
mxer146
8/13/2010 7:39pm
Should of never filled in the start either.
mx5471
8/13/2010 7:40pm
The track is not new. You guys are remembering something from 30 years ago. Compare the bikes from the 70's and 80's to whats out there now. Your memorable track of the past,would just be a backyard ride in the dirt to today's riders and bikes. If it was the same,it would only be a cow pasture and no one would ride there. As Bruce said, it's glory days, but the time passes you by.

The Shop

motoxer68
Fantasy
1399th
8/13/2010 7:48pm
mx5471 wrote:
The track is not new. You guys are remembering something from 30 years ago. Compare the bikes from the 70's and 80's to whats out there...
The track is not new. You guys are remembering something from 30 years ago. Compare the bikes from the 70's and 80's to whats out there now. Your memorable track of the past,would just be a backyard ride in the dirt to today's riders and bikes. If it was the same,it would only be a cow pasture and no one would ride there. As Bruce said, it's glory days, but the time passes you by.
I know your perspective is a common one, but it doesn't totally reflect reality. Find some old pictures or videos of the track and see just how rough it was. The long uphill before the Screw-U, for example, used to be a chopped up mess. You really had to pick good lines and fight your way up. The last few years it has been a freeway. Sure, the tracks back then didn't have the huge jumps but the riders spent more time on the ground where the bumps and rocks are.
rc4187
8/13/2010 8:15pm
They had to do something... there was almost no dirt left. I like the change.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
8/13/2010 8:24pm Edited Date/Time 8/13/2010 8:26pm
New? The one I saw today looked a lot like last year.

As far as rough, there will be plenty of opportunity for it to get rough tomorrow. As of now, there were four bikes (Hunter Hewitt, Austin Howell, Clement Desalle, and Ryan Mills) on it for Thursday's press day. That's it.

I will say one thing. It sure looks a lot more like a modern race facility than it did a few years back.

I talked to Ben Townley during this afternoon's track walk, and he was borderline giddy about how good the track looked, and how well it was prepped.
calimxer91
8/13/2010 8:31pm
Windham likes a nice prepped track too. Townley or him could shock some people tomorrow.
jndmx
8/13/2010 8:36pm
That is going to be a fast track......
the_wood109
8/13/2010 8:42pm
GuyB wrote:
New? The one I saw today looked a lot like last year. As far as rough, there will be plenty of opportunity for it to get...

As far as rough, there will be plenty of opportunity for it to get rough tomorrow. As of now, there were four bikes (Hunter Hewitt, Austin Howell, Clement Desalle, and Ryan Mills) on it for Thursday's press day. That's it.

I will say one thing. It sure looks a lot more like a modern race facility than it did a few years back.

I talked to Ben Townley during this afternoon's track walk, and he was borderline giddy about how good the track looked, and how well it was prepped.
How is BT feeling, btw?
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
8/13/2010 8:58pm
He said he's good.
jeffro503
8/13/2010 9:01pm
GuyB wrote:
He said he's good.
That's great to hear! I'll be rooting for him tomorrow.
Phillips467
8/13/2010 9:42pm Edited Date/Time 8/13/2010 9:43pm
I''d love for BT to upset the Dungey/Stewart showdown. He's due a win IMO - and this could be a track that suits him.
gt80rider
8/13/2010 10:04pm
GuyB wrote:
New? The one I saw today looked a lot like last year. As far as rough, there will be plenty of opportunity for it to get...

"how well it was prepped" is nice and all....... but can't they have just one track on the circuit that is all natural???

racing starts in knee deep grass, then to a loamy mix, then to a whooped and rutted up mess...

I've only ridden on one "official" all natural track, and to this day it's my favorite... no pressure to huck triples, passes were made by just leaving it pinned through ridiculously bombed out sections... nobody makes a better track than God can.....
the_wood109
8/13/2010 10:04pm
I've become more and more a fan of BT....I never disliked him or anything like that. He has these badass bursts of speed and aggression. He is extremely exiting to watch when he goes into attack mode. Glad to hear he is feeling good.

Anyways, the track...ehhem. The rocks don't look too big. I'm sure that they are there, though. Sure it was cool to see the grass from years past, but I don't think it matters by the time the gate drops for the motos.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
8/13/2010 10:08pm
gt80rider wrote:
"how well it was prepped" is nice and all....... but can't they have just one track on the circuit that is all natural??? racing starts in...
"how well it was prepped" is nice and all....... but can't they have just one track on the circuit that is all natural???

racing starts in knee deep grass, then to a loamy mix, then to a whooped and rutted up mess...

I've only ridden on one "official" all natural track, and to this day it's my favorite... no pressure to huck triples, passes were made by just leaving it pinned through ridiculously bombed out sections... nobody makes a better track than God can.....
Ah, you're riding tomorrow? What bike number should I watch out for? Wink
gt80rider
8/13/2010 10:09pm
rc4187 wrote:
They had to do something... there was almost no dirt left. I like the change.
no dirt left??? ya i hate it when you are just racing on bedrock....
gt80rider
8/13/2010 10:13pm
GuyB wrote:
i Reallyyyyy wish i was going to be there tomorrow, prepped, no prepping or bedrock....
Hank_Thrill
8/13/2010 10:30pm
Umm.... I don't know about you guys, but I would absolutely love to spend a day on that track with my friends.
jasonv43
8/13/2010 11:07pm
gt80rider wrote:
"how well it was prepped" is nice and all....... but can't they have just one track on the circuit that is all natural??? racing starts in...

GuyB wrote:
I just want to know how he is so tight with the man upstairs to get to ride an "official" all natural track.
mxr338
8/14/2010 12:55am
unadilla is where its at. if i didnt have a british championship i would be there! you can get scary whipped of that skyshot tabletop or whatever it is called
chrisbuehler
8/14/2010 1:49am
mxr338 wrote:
unadilla is where its at. if i didnt have a british championship i would be there! you can get scary whipped of that skyshot tabletop or...
unadilla is where its at. if i didnt have a british championship i would be there! you can get scary whipped of that skyshot tabletop or whatever it is called
Hell yeah Zach! A racer that wants to face the best in the world simply for the competition and love of moto. Awesome bro.
WhKnuckle
8/14/2010 4:33am
The key to any of these tracks is to put down dirt, pack the dirt a little and groom it out, and then LEAVE IT ALONE. You don't have to make it rough, if there's loose dirt out there it'll get rough all on its own. My beef with the grooming is they used to do it between motos, and they effectively shoved all the loose dirt to the edges.

It sounds counter intuitive, but making tracks smoother makes them more dangerous. A track like Unadilla will wind up with 70MPH + sections, and that's a recipe for disaster. Motocross bikes aren't designed to work at higher speeds.
Law 131
8/14/2010 5:34am
I've been going to Unadilla since 1972.

Raced it as a Pro in the late 70s with a 6th in the 500s in 1979.

The old track was very different than the one I see today. When we went out to practice, the track hadn't been touched for a year. It was all grown up with hay and had a lot of hidden holes. Line choice was different every lap. There was little consistency lap to lap.

We also ran 40 plus 2 in the 70s. The last 15 minutes would separate the flashy glamour queens from the hard nosed workers.

Back then we fought with bear knuckles. Today they fight with gloves.

Today's riders are excellent athletes and highly trained, dressed, prepped and equipped. It should be a great contest today.
Cory976
8/14/2010 6:08am
etrask- I remember Lakewood in the late 80's-early 90's when it was called "Rockwood" or "Lakerock" . And yes, Clabaugh would bring in dirt from the street sweepers the first few years with the mag chloride mixxed in. Only problem is when you crashed, and got a cut on your skin, it would get infected from the mag chloride, and the wound would never heal. I Love the dirt at Lakewood now.

As far as Unadilla is concerned . . . . . . .If it ain't broke . . . don't fix it!. Wink
Cory976
8/14/2010 6:09am
etrask- I remember Lakewood in the late 80's-early 90's when it was called "Rockwood" or "Lakerock" . And yes, Clabaugh would bring in dirt from the street sweepers the first few years with the mag chloride mixxed in. Only problem is when you crashed, and got a cut on your skin, it would get infected from the mag chloride, and the wound would never heal. I Love the dirt at Lakewood now.

As far as Unadilla is concerned . . . . . . .If it ain't broke . . . don't fix it!. Wink
perumx
8/14/2010 8:51am
Umm.... I don't know about you guys, but I would absolutely love to spend a day on that track with my friends.
Bingo!
sean
8/14/2010 9:00am
perumx wrote:
Bingo!
Yahtzee!
SCIENCE
8/14/2010 3:01pm
perumx wrote:
Bingo!
sean wrote:
Yahtzee!
For the weekend warriors a great track to ride. Nice and smooth. For the best in the world an absolute joke compared to how it was originally intended. Way to smooth and in serious need of new dirt. Hard to believe as it doesn't get used very much!
DC
8/14/2010 4:38pm
SCience, were you out there today? That track was plenty rough for the equipment today's riders have, and the old Unadilla would be a freeway on these modern bikes. The track I saw out there was different than yesteryear but it has to be, because the bike are so much different than yesteryear. Imagine a Supercross track from 1972 and now... They don't compare but the bikes don't compare. I know we all remember the way things were back in the day, and it was awesome, but it wouldn't work now on these machines.

DC
MX Sports

Post a reply to: not a fan of the new dilla track..

The Latest