no respect..no respect at all

ktm212
Edited Date/Time 2/10/2015 1:56pm
Ill feelings are something I don't understand about our sport, and it's really come to light during the last few weeks with the bar banging action we've had. I guess you get them in anything really, I mean football fans literally get into fist fights at games and a majority of them have never even played an official down in their lives. Reading forum post after forum post for years and seeing the amount of shit talking people do on social media and people taking sides and getting the blood boiling just blows my mind. People on twitter, instagram, and in forums telling riders how they hope the break their legs, or too give up an go home because they suck or all of that disgusting crap people spew from their mouth doesn't make much sense to me.

I would guess that upwards of 90% of MX/SX fans have ridden or raced in their lives whether they play rode or raced seriously or just went to open practices which makes it so hard for me to understand how people can say the things they do. You all clearly know how hard it is to ride a dirtbike, you all at one point or another have crashed, whether it be by yourself or into someone else and those of you that have raced have probably been on some end of a take out and you're racing for a 5 dollar plastic trophy. These guys have dedicated their lives to racing a dirtbike for our entertainment and their personal gain, many of which don't really gain THAT much in the scheme of things.

I guess the general thesis of what I'm trying to say is how can people that have actually participated in the sport, ridden, raced, trained a little or alot be so disrespectful to guys who give up their whole lives to chase a dream. Guys shit talk VIllopoto for not showing emotion, Reed for being too emotional, Alessi for giving every lap his all, Stewart for maybe not giving it his all every lap, Barcia for only being able to muster a 6th after a dead last start, Millsaps for fading after a holeshot, Bowers for being too aggressive, or Dungey for not being aggressive enough. These guys have spent their lives wide open literally risking everything to be the best they can and us the hardcore racing fans can't give them the respect they deserve.

I'm what you might consider a low-level privateer, I have my pro license, I win locally but can only muster a qualifying time between low 50s to low 70s depending on the day (I hate timed qualifying). The sport of PRO level motocross versus what we ride every day is almost a different sport, The way to tracks are shaped, the elevation, the lines, the ruts like you've never dreamed about. Maybe that's the reason fans act they way they do because they know motocross from their local backyard track and don't see what it takes but I still can't understand how someone can hate on Alessi or Reed or Weimer when all their trying to do is reach their dreams in a sport we've all done. I've made bonehead moves, I've freaked out on people for making mistakes and crashing into me, and I've been the guy taking someone out. We all have some idea of what it takes so it just bothers me some people can be so disrespectful to people who do what we all wish we could.

p.s sorry for ranting or repetition, this really has always been an issue, it just comes to the forefront recently with reed and canard and bowers and all.
|
hvaughn88
1/21/2015 11:58am
^I really, really, really like this post
Rdubs19
1/21/2015 12:10pm
AMEN. Our sport gets enough shit from the stick and ball crowd, no point whatsoever in shooting ourselves in the foot. I know I have been guilty at times. Maybe we forget just how damn HARD this sport really is after a while, even at the Joe Blow local amateur levels.
BD233
1/21/2015 12:11pm
Man it's just bench racing and talking shit. I raced, now I just ride and my son rides and our track crew is nonstop trash talking and goofing around on each other. I don't see it as disrespectful to anyone. All this Vital Forum does is give us a bigger platform to discuss, talk trash, and enjoy it just like we would at the track. All the riders have differing personalities just like any sport. All my friends have differing personalities...we talk shit to each other nonstop...and I respect everyone of these people. I have given my life to my current profession, it's been harder than I thought and it pays way less than I wished.. they chose bikes, whatever you choose to do in life is going to be hard, riding or whatever. Enjoy what you do, don't be too seroius and Take all this stuff with a grain of salt, laugh and enjoy it. I don't ever read these post as "people are really mad and stuff"....I read them and laugh my ass off.
JM485
1/21/2015 12:11pm Edited Date/Time 1/21/2015 10:44pm
You've just drawn a very clear line between who is a true fan and rider, and who likes to play the part. Very well done!

The Shop

Frodad78
1/21/2015 12:14pm
Great post!!!

The internet is a great/terrible place for the stupid, fearful and egocentric to come and make a go at voicing their opinion without retribution. All while staying anonymous!! Says more about our soceity, how have we created a generation of people that gain some shred of righteousness from bashing people they don't personally know. The racing is awesome, these guys are awesome...the whole sport is just incredible. Yet we complain, and bitch about a riders hair....YUP
kiwifan
1/21/2015 12:15pm
Then again, this is a forum, people ARE entitled to their opinion about teh sport, the riders, the administration, etc.....thats what a forum is for to discuss these things....sure fans of riders or brands that have er issues are going to become a hot topic and fans of those certain riders or brands will get upset....such is the nature and freedom of open discussion

I suggest to those who dont like the comments in this forum to look elsewhere as you will never be happy with every comment.

I am a racer, have raced for a good many years, thats doesnt make me an expert on all matters but does give me the right to make an opinion if I have one...it may not be agreeable to some but thats life.
1/21/2015 12:22pm
I am not defending the haters, but if everybody loved every rider and did nothing but give props and say how great they are- that would be pretty boring. And this forum would not exist. We could just have a thread for every rider for people to post nice things.
vet323
1/21/2015 12:23pm
I agree with both ktm212 and BD233. We can argue and complain, but we all need to keep in mind that we are arguing and complaining with family members and not take it too hard or too serious.

SX/MX to me is what I use to get away from all that too serious crap!
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
1/21/2015 12:27pm
Motorcycle racers are a fiery group to begin with so I wouldn't read too far into it.
kiwifan
1/21/2015 12:27pm
vet323 wrote:
I agree with both ktm212 and BD233. We can argue and complain, but we all need to keep in mind that we are arguing and complaining...
I agree with both ktm212 and BD233. We can argue and complain, but we all need to keep in mind that we are arguing and complaining with family members and not take it too hard or too serious.

SX/MX to me is what I use to get away from all that too serious crap!
nature of the beast eh? I got called a sheep shagger the other day by someone who didnt like my post, I just laughed it off....I could hide behind my virtual ID here and abuse him back but whats the point of doing that?
ktm212
1/21/2015 12:29pm
kiwifan wrote:
Then again, this is a forum, people ARE entitled to their opinion about teh sport, the riders, the administration, etc.....thats what a forum is for to...
Then again, this is a forum, people ARE entitled to their opinion about teh sport, the riders, the administration, etc.....thats what a forum is for to discuss these things....sure fans of riders or brands that have er issues are going to become a hot topic and fans of those certain riders or brands will get upset....such is the nature and freedom of open discussion

I suggest to those who dont like the comments in this forum to look elsewhere as you will never be happy with every comment.

I am a racer, have raced for a good many years, thats doesnt make me an expert on all matters but does give me the right to make an opinion if I have one...it may not be agreeable to some but thats life.
I'm in no way bashing peoples opinions, that's not my goal at all, to be honest I'm super opinionated and maybe that's why I even feel this way. I believe Reed was out of line, I dont think Alessi took out Tickle on purpose last year, I believe barcia should calm down, I believe Dungey needs to be more aggressive, and I'm not a huge Stewart fan. I'm simply pointing out, and I'm not targeting anyone in particular, that in a sport we all love and participate in and that we all want to be bigger and better year after year that fans can get sooooo out line when someone goes against their opinion. We credit our sport to being a "big family" and it is, I work at a dealership and strangers come in and we talk for hours like old friends; but the blatant disregard that these guys are just motocross riders like the rest of us, they NORMALLY aren't multi-million dollar athletes (i.e baseball, basketball, ect) that are put on pedestals, they're guys from our local tracks or districts that are only doing what we've dreamed about our whole lives and I think alot of people lose sight of that. Talk to any of these guys on a Tuesday and they're fans just like us, they're people just like us, and they're good guys; I know alot of them. I'm not trying to say anyone's a bad person for liking one guy and not liking someone else but I just see that alot of unneeded disrespect to guys that our essentially just like us.
hvaughn88
1/21/2015 12:29pm
I think there's a difference in the people that are constructive in their banter, and the people that take it very personal and take personal jabs at the riders.
OW38B
Fantasy
181st
1/21/2015 12:36pm
"The good thing about Internet forums, is it gives everyone a chance to voice their opinion......the bad thing about Internet forums, is it gives everyone a chance to voice their opinion." ~ Me
BD233
1/21/2015 12:40pm Edited Date/Time 1/21/2015 12:41pm
I agree with you 212, I'm in Texas, we get a lot of pro's riding our local tracks...we go out and watch them practice, jump in and try to hang with them for a corner or two. They always take the time to talk and mess around with the kids and stuff...I honestly think every person posting on this forum has 100% respect for every rider out there as far as what it takes to do this sport at the highest level...but like they stated above, they have a fanpage for all the people who want to say nothing but good things...we come here to have fun and NOT be serious mostly. It's all in good fun. Sometimes it gets out of hand but I personally have never gotten mad or made a comment that was 100% serious about anyone. Don't take things too seroiusly...we are just one big, crazy moto family.
ktm212
1/21/2015 12:49pm
TeamGreen wrote:
212 has a new fan
I thought you were already my fan after this! haha

jasonv43
1/21/2015 12:52pm
Agree 100%. I'm more upset with what the FIM did or how they did it than what Trey or Chad did.
sybro
1/21/2015 12:54pm
Having an opinion is one thing.

Trash talking, bringing people down or insulting people like we read everyday on instagram/twitter and more is the problem these day. Some people think a bit before typing.

Some are just irrespectful bastard ... (did I just type that...lol)
kiwifan
1/21/2015 12:55pm
kiwifan wrote:
Then again, this is a forum, people ARE entitled to their opinion about teh sport, the riders, the administration, etc.....thats what a forum is for to...

ktm212 wrote:
I'm in no way bashing peoples opinions, that's not my goal at all, to be honest I'm super opinionated and maybe that's why I even feel...
I'm in no way bashing peoples opinions, that's not my goal at all, to be honest I'm super opinionated and maybe that's why I even feel this way. I believe Reed was out of line, I dont think Alessi took out Tickle on purpose last year, I believe barcia should calm down, I believe Dungey needs to be more aggressive, and I'm not a huge Stewart fan. I'm simply pointing out, and I'm not targeting anyone in particular, that in a sport we all love and participate in and that we all want to be bigger and better year after year that fans can get sooooo out line when someone goes against their opinion. We credit our sport to being a "big family" and it is, I work at a dealership and strangers come in and we talk for hours like old friends; but the blatant disregard that these guys are just motocross riders like the rest of us, they NORMALLY aren't multi-million dollar athletes (i.e baseball, basketball, ect) that are put on pedestals, they're guys from our local tracks or districts that are only doing what we've dreamed about our whole lives and I think alot of people lose sight of that. Talk to any of these guys on a Tuesday and they're fans just like us, they're people just like us, and they're good guys; I know alot of them. I'm not trying to say anyone's a bad person for liking one guy and not liking someone else but I just see that alot of unneeded disrespect to guys that our essentially just like us.
Well I am guilty of overreacting to peoples opinions myself, just has a lot are guilty of overreacting to mine....but I do agree in essence of your thoughts :-)
kiwifan
1/21/2015 12:56pm Edited Date/Time 1/21/2015 12:59pm
sybro wrote:
Having an opinion is one thing. Trash talking, bringing people down or insulting people like we read everyday on instagram/twitter and more is the problem these...
Having an opinion is one thing.

Trash talking, bringing people down or insulting people like we read everyday on instagram/twitter and more is the problem these day. Some people think a bit before typing.

Some are just irrespectful bastard ... (did I just type that...lol)
Well said dude, reminds me of a news article here in NZ yesterday....a family left their kid by accident (!) in a car, the kid overheated and died, which was absolutely tragic and the family were beside themselves....but when this news article was posted there were some SERIOUS hate comments and death threats against the parents, I mean the family has gone through enough as it is without that kind of crap....and I think thats what you are getitng at in your post, the strong overreaction in social media these days and the fact that people can hide behind virtual names and abuse who and whatever they like
ACBraap
Fantasy
505th
1/21/2015 1:17pm
Great post. I've had conversations with others that follow stick and ball sports (I don't) about how I think the mx/sx fan base is different due to the participatory nature of the sport. I love bench racing, mx history and stats, etc., as long as it's intelligent and analytical. The names and disrespectful crap is just noise.
Camp332
1/21/2015 1:19pm
Seriously bro. Good post.

I use these forums as a place to say "Bro" and ask people if they lift.

Having fun is why I moto. I come here to have fun, or make fun of people's posts in my own way.
Hman144
Fantasy
714th
1/21/2015 1:22pm
The OP is right, even if a bit idealistic to think that people should respect the pros enough not to trash talk.

Problem is, people are involved. And peoples can be douchey.

H
TeamGreen
1/21/2015 1:24pm Edited Date/Time 1/21/2015 1:26pm
TeamGreen wrote:
212 has a new fan
ktm212 wrote:
I thought you were already my fan after this! haha [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/01/21/77619/s1200_manny.jpg[/img]
I thought you were already my fan after this! haha

Just rode that back to back with a brand new stocker.

I had no idea how much faster it is.

What're you riding now?
Flip109
1/21/2015 1:29pm
Great post to the OP. I'd like to think that most of the people that argue here all the time would probably get a long fine in real life at the track. Its just easy for everyone to sit behind a keyboard with no real name and go all crack head on one another over stupid shit that happens. We all have a very common interest in life with mx/sx. There are always a few assholes that you just can't understand, but for the most part I think everyone would get a long had they run into one another at the local track.
ktm212
1/21/2015 1:30pm
TeamGreen wrote:

What're you riding now?
Hopped on a few kawis with a team green ride last year, rode the 250 in the AMA and Canadian nationals and will be on them again this year. Still miss my orange a little though if I'm being honest, best I ever felt was on my 13 SX450. I'll be back on the dark side again next year probably with these new bikes.
TeamGreen
1/21/2015 1:37pm
TeamGreen wrote:

What're you riding now?
ktm212 wrote:
Hopped on a few kawis with a team green ride last year, rode the 250 in the AMA and Canadian nationals and will be on them...
Hopped on a few kawis with a team green ride last year, rode the 250 in the AMA and Canadian nationals and will be on them again this year. Still miss my orange a little though if I'm being honest, best I ever felt was on my 13 SX450. I'll be back on the dark side again next year probably with these new bikes.
Wait til Ya see the '17 250SX
1/21/2015 1:37pm
ktm212 wrote:
Ill feelings are something I don't understand about our sport, and it's really come to light during the last few weeks with the bar banging action...
Ill feelings are something I don't understand about our sport, and it's really come to light during the last few weeks with the bar banging action we've had. I guess you get them in anything really, I mean football fans literally get into fist fights at games and a majority of them have never even played an official down in their lives. Reading forum post after forum post for years and seeing the amount of shit talking people do on social media and people taking sides and getting the blood boiling just blows my mind. People on twitter, instagram, and in forums telling riders how they hope the break their legs, or too give up an go home because they suck or all of that disgusting crap people spew from their mouth doesn't make much sense to me.

I would guess that upwards of 90% of MX/SX fans have ridden or raced in their lives whether they play rode or raced seriously or just went to open practices which makes it so hard for me to understand how people can say the things they do. You all clearly know how hard it is to ride a dirtbike, you all at one point or another have crashed, whether it be by yourself or into someone else and those of you that have raced have probably been on some end of a take out and you're racing for a 5 dollar plastic trophy. These guys have dedicated their lives to racing a dirtbike for our entertainment and their personal gain, many of which don't really gain THAT much in the scheme of things.

I guess the general thesis of what I'm trying to say is how can people that have actually participated in the sport, ridden, raced, trained a little or alot be so disrespectful to guys who give up their whole lives to chase a dream. Guys shit talk VIllopoto for not showing emotion, Reed for being too emotional, Alessi for giving every lap his all, Stewart for maybe not giving it his all every lap, Barcia for only being able to muster a 6th after a dead last start, Millsaps for fading after a holeshot, Bowers for being too aggressive, or Dungey for not being aggressive enough. These guys have spent their lives wide open literally risking everything to be the best they can and us the hardcore racing fans can't give them the respect they deserve.

I'm what you might consider a low-level privateer, I have my pro license, I win locally but can only muster a qualifying time between low 50s to low 70s depending on the day (I hate timed qualifying). The sport of PRO level motocross versus what we ride every day is almost a different sport, The way to tracks are shaped, the elevation, the lines, the ruts like you've never dreamed about. Maybe that's the reason fans act they way they do because they know motocross from their local backyard track and don't see what it takes but I still can't understand how someone can hate on Alessi or Reed or Weimer when all their trying to do is reach their dreams in a sport we've all done. I've made bonehead moves, I've freaked out on people for making mistakes and crashing into me, and I've been the guy taking someone out. We all have some idea of what it takes so it just bothers me some people can be so disrespectful to people who do what we all wish we could.

p.s sorry for ranting or repetition, this really has always been an issue, it just comes to the forefront recently with reed and canard and bowers and all.
Excellent post.
YZ324
1/21/2015 1:47pm
Well written and well said. Thanks for posting.
gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2452nd
1/21/2015 1:49pm
I was baffled by this when I started reading moto forums, so I asked one of my wife's good friends who is a psychiatrist. She said people who do it repeatedly are generally unhappy people and it gives them a brief moment of happiness to put others down, also in all sports if you have a team or player that has beaten your favorite team or player many times people tend to have a dislike for that team or player. That being said, I don't think an occasional critique of a rider or athletes action is a big deal, its that ones that do it repeatedly, and at times for years that there is clearly an underlying issue. The thing I find bizarre is how hypocritical some of the riders extreme fans are. The bright side is I think riders starting to hit the big time now are more prepared for it cause social media has been around awhile.

Post a reply to: no respect..no respect at all

The Latest