neighbor almost shot me today for riding on my dirtbike

dedi684
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 4:26pm
well after 8 years of owning my property and having a small practice track this asshole neighbor of mine went and pulled out the gun and fired off 5+ shots. all this while my 6 month old son, girlfriend, mom and friend sat there is disbelief. he followed it up with what i felt was a threat "this is how real men play". i was so pissed, kept my cool, called the police and filed my statement. they took his gun and now its up to the district attorney how this will play out.
|
Roach
5/25/2011 6:31pm
What a tool. Was he on drugs/drunk?
ns503
5/25/2011 6:32pm
That's messed up...

The Shop

dedi684
5/25/2011 6:35pm Edited Date/Time 5/25/2011 6:37pm
nope yz 250 2 stroke and forgot to mention guys im 37 years old ive been dealing with this "dirt biker" bullshit my whole life. and i just got done doing 2 seven minute motos... for real. havent even ridden in 2 weeks prior to this and i race on the weekends. well he supposedly show the cops where he fired into the ground, but come on, he was like 200 feet from me and my family (6 month old son) were all outside. i do not take to kindly to threats but kept my cool.
Hman144
Fantasy
713th
5/25/2011 6:37pm
No laughing matter. A little over a decade ago a teenager in our neck of the woods was shot and killed point blank for riding in an old strip mine area when some old coot who lived over the hill got sick of the noise.

Has your neighbor complained before or has he just been stewing and boiled over? You been trying to do your part to keep it reasonable? This things can go very bad very quickly. Be careful.

H
dedi684
5/25/2011 6:40pm
yeah this has been ongoing but im no punk kid, i do my part, have a stock pipe, dont have friends over, dont create dust etc. i go out of my way to not create trouble but it obviously didn't work.
mxb2
5/25/2011 6:42pm
Hope the courts will resolve the problem!
jeffro503
5/25/2011 6:46pm
dedi684 wrote:
yeah this has been ongoing but im no punk kid, i do my part, have a stock pipe, dont have friends over, dont create dust etc...
yeah this has been ongoing but im no punk kid, i do my part, have a stock pipe, dont have friends over, dont create dust etc. i go out of my way to not create trouble but it obviously didn't work.
Dude.....listen to me! Get yourself a surveillance camera , and position it in a really good place , so when he tries something else....you have it on video. You can find them cheap now days. Make sure you get one with audio.....and if he ever pulls that shit again , then you will have him on tape. Fuck that guy!
tobz
5/25/2011 6:53pm
You handled it well, bite the tongue and let authorities handle it. Your not in the wrong doing it on your own property, and at least they have his gun now

A friend and I had a similar situation when we were Riding on our farm, 3rd year of owning the property this guy comes hooning down the road screaming at dad saying he's going to put a effin chainsaw through those bikes. Dad played it cool and let the guy say what he had to say and left. All dad done was made sure he wasn't in the wrong with the cops and didn't speak to the guy again. 2 months later the guy sold up and moved away.
5/25/2011 7:04pm
if your story is true and that baby really was out there in site, this dude is in serious trouble.
dedi684
5/25/2011 7:07pm
who knows but i was just saying the other day that after all these years i finally feel like i beat these mother fs. i guess the last thing to do is try to intimidate me with guns. shit they better shoot my ass im not trying to hurt nobody just ride my dirtbike for two 7 minute motos in the last 2 week. wtf
FastEddy
Fantasy
944th
5/25/2011 7:20pm
You definitely handled the situation well.
Don't let the asshole get to you ,because obviously that is what he was trying to do.

Keep us updated on the outcome...
Hopefully the prosecutor goes forward with some type of charge to teach the guy a lesson.
reded
5/25/2011 7:22pm
Hope it all works out for you. I've been through that shit myself and have found that everyone is usually against the guy with the dirtbike and like you, I was always on a 2 stroke. When the 4 strokes came out in '98 I could see the writing on the wall but everyone turned a blind eye towards their noise because they satisfied the EPA.
Wandell
5/25/2011 7:27pm
You know you don't have to just turn it over to law enforcement. You can also file a civil lawsuit against him in addition to letting the police prosecute him in criminal court. Sometimes getting a thick envelope demanding a large sum of money will take the wind out of someone's sails.
dedi684
5/25/2011 7:32pm
im pretty sure they already did the whole rally against me thing years ago. the "concerned citizens of county route ##". never worked i'm not breaking any laws. it does concern me that at any moment they could come up with some bs and try to shut me down. its just me riding and i barely have any friends over i try to be polite as possible. if i had the loot id buy that super quiet silencer for even less noise. i'm not gonna tolerate that shit though when i have a 6 month old and he already has a bike he will be riding in a few years.
DrSweden
5/25/2011 7:40pm
Crap, that's some serious shit, and despite you might have a case against him, he wont go away, and now probably even more crazy since he might feel humiliated or something?

I don't know you, what has being going on between the two of you, but this seems pretty messed up and the only solution I see if this guy is totally sick in the head, and you are the good guy is:

1. Try to talk to him.
2. If that fails, use the law.
3. Move.

Basically, if he's semi retarded, or just a piss-ant he probably feels the society are against him, nobody listens to him, he's right and everybody is wrong. Pushing it even further might create a Ted Kaczynski out of him.

So, I personally would put a hidden camera (you can get a cheap spy camera or sound recorder) and go and talk to him to make peace. Make him feel important, that his opinion really matters for you, that you really just want peace and if there's any hours he would accept you riding? Could you guys trade? Bring a bottle of Whiskey on top of that, many miserable guys in their fifties (?) digs the booze.

Yeah, I know he's a piece of shit, but try all options before there's no options left. He's probably just lonely and miserable...
5/25/2011 7:58pm Edited Date/Time 5/25/2011 7:59pm
Doc, I've always felt that you brought a fair degree of rationality to this forum; however, your suggestion to ply a gun-toting, dirt bike hating, crazy man with whiskey is ... well, just plain crazy. Then again, apparent unrestrained gun ownership sounds pretty crazy too. But, that's a debate for a different forum.
DrSweden
5/26/2011 8:02pm Edited Date/Time 5/26/2011 8:02pm
Antipodean wrote:
Doc, I've always felt that you brought a fair degree of rationality to this forum; however, your suggestion to ply a gun-toting, dirt bike hating, crazy...
Doc, I've always felt that you brought a fair degree of rationality to this forum; however, your suggestion to ply a gun-toting, dirt bike hating, crazy man with whiskey is ... well, just plain crazy. Then again, apparent unrestrained gun ownership sounds pretty crazy too. But, that's a debate for a different forum.
Hey tnx. Maybe my point got lost in translation here or I could be totally off. But negotiating is the key to success to solve a majority of conflicts between people and I don't really see why this is any different. Sure I don't know the facts involved, and this guy could be a crazy tree hugger instead of a hillbilly, but that could also favour my suggestion as in bringing a gift and I have seen more crazy people turn around more often with this approach than playing "hardball"...

But sure I might be totally wrong here...

I still agree that he did the right thing to call the cops. Totally right approach to start with...

Well, well...
Lucifa.
5/26/2011 8:22pm
Fuck him. Make sure you ride your bike everyday now twice as long. Now that the cops are onto it, if he steps out of line, make a complaint and get the cops back over to his house. He'll either get the picture or shoot you. Hopefuly not the later.............
Rooster
5/26/2011 8:45pm
Antipodean wrote:
Doc, I've always felt that you brought a fair degree of rationality to this forum; however, your suggestion to ply a gun-toting, dirt bike hating, crazy...
The area we rode at as kids was rented from the owner for a bottle of whiskey a year. The idea doesn't sound too crazy to me.

Of course Canada is more like Sweden in that we're not shooting at our neighbors over a little noise. Maybe an olive branch can't reach as a far as a long range scope.
DrSweden
5/26/2011 8:58pm
Rooster wrote:
The area we rode at as kids was rented from the owner for a bottle of whiskey a year. The idea doesn't sound too crazy to...
The area we rode at as kids was rented from the owner for a bottle of whiskey a year. The idea doesn't sound too crazy to me.

Of course Canada is more like Sweden in that we're not shooting at our neighbors over a little noise. Maybe an olive branch can't reach as a far as a long range scope.
Someone is listening! Wink

The Whiskey should be used as an example. Maybe he likes candy corn? Basically, everybody wants to be seen, a gift is just one way to recognise that person... If he doesn't respond to that, then we can at least say we did all in our power...

I think my suggestion is pretty clear by now. Smile Where is the author of this thread? He still alive? Sad
Rick1968
5/26/2011 9:34pm
dedi684 wrote:
who knows but i was just saying the other day that after all these years i finally feel like i beat these mother fs. i guess...
who knows but i was just saying the other day that after all these years i finally feel like i beat these mother fs. i guess the last thing to do is try to intimidate me with guns. shit they better shoot my ass im not trying to hurt nobody just ride my dirtbike for two 7 minute motos in the last 2 week. wtf
Good question. Was he firing at you?
munsch121
5/26/2011 9:52pm
No shit....you are a bigger man than most keeping your cool I can tell you that !! Hope the shit for brains ends up in the pokey and finds out what it feels like to be a "real" bitch !! Noise doesn't kill people, guns in the hands of idiots on the other hand......
Void Main
5/26/2011 9:59pm Edited Date/Time 5/26/2011 10:04pm
Void Main wrote:
Did he fire the gun on his property or yours?
The reason I asked this is because we really are only getting one side of the story and to me the title of the thread doesn't seem to necessarily match up with what was described in the thread. I wasn't there and can only go by what is said in the thread but it reminds me a lot of what goes on once in a while at my riding club.

We have about 800 acres in our riding club and our clubhouse and a small track is right next to a small rural highway. A neighbor to our riding club lives across the road and up on a hill. On a couple of occasions over the years while I have been at the club the neighbor has come right down by the road and shoots his gun (which is about 50 yards from our clubhouse). It sounds like he is target practicing with a large caliber pistol and it is very loud. It seemed to me that he was trying to make a point that he can be loud as well. At first it was a little unnerving but then I realized that whether he was just shooting for fun and meant nothing by it or he was shooting to be loud trying to make a point it really didn't make a difference. If he was doing it on his land he was fully within his rights and as long as he wasn't threatening anyone or harming anyone he has just as much right to shoot his gun as we have to ride our bikes.

It sounds to me like it could be a similar situation here. I haven't seen anything in what you describe as an actual threat to harm anyone if he did this on his land and he didn't actually shoot at anyone. If he came on your property and shot his gun that is a totally different deal and he should have had it taken away. If he was on his property I feel he was wronged. I think you have to be able to put yourself in the other person's shoes. I agree with the previous people suggesting that you talk with the guy and try and work something out. Offer some concessions in that maybe you can pick some time periods to ride when he's not around or a day of the week or time period that is mutually acceptable. You both have rights, don't trample on each others rights.

We give our neighbors turkeys every thanksgiving as a token of our appreciation (small price to keep the peace).
FIREfish148
5/26/2011 10:52pm
Man, what a doosh. I'm lucky that the neighbors closest to me ride and the other one likes me. Moto is already dangerous enough w/ out stupid ass neighbors shooting at you.

Post a reply to: neighbor almost shot me today for riding on my dirtbike

The Latest