nationals on sunday?

drummer dude
7/12/2010 5:48pm
mxb2 wrote:
I watch reruns of sanford and son saturday mornings!
you f-ing crack me up mxb2!!!!! lol....
drummer dude
7/12/2010 5:48pm Edited Date/Time 7/12/2010 5:55pm
mxb2 wrote:
I watch reruns of sanford and son saturday mornings!
that show was classic....
Trip
7/12/2010 7:09pm
Indy mxer wrote:
Saturdays are fine with me. I like the days rest afterwords. But I do understand the argument for some. A lot of people have to work...
Saturdays are fine with me. I like the days rest afterwords.
But I do understand the argument for some. A lot of people have to work on Sat.
When you hear the rationale for Saturdays, it makes a lot of sense.
There's no perfect answer.

Overall though, DC and MX Sports are doing an excellent job with the Nats.
We can always hope for better a TV package, but it's pretty damn cool right now.
They've come a long way in a short period of time, and it sounds like they're always looking to make it better.

Oh, and by the way Trip, if Saturday nights are so bad, why is NASCAR putting more races on every year at that time? Now, suck on some of that Cabo Wabo and stfu douche bag.
Because it's freakin' NASCAR!!!!! People will watch no matter what day it's on....

Let me enlighten you....

Neckcar is established, they have a huge loyal following. They are not in the business of trying to develop a fan base.

Oh, and it's not Saturday night in California, it's like 2 in the afternoon when the mx races are on out here.

SCIENCE
7/12/2010 7:18pm
David Izer wrote:
How shortsighted have we become? Remember not that long ago when we were on the OLN channel when the nationals were aired sometime after the harvest...
How shortsighted have we become? Remember not that long ago when we were on the OLN channel when the nationals were aired sometime after the harvest moon each month.

I could not have been more proud of our series, MX Sports, riders, the Richie family and everyone involved after watching Red Bud live on NBC. It was an awesome track and presentation that offered great racing and proves what level our sport has reached and continues to strive towards.

Rupert X wrote:
True. As you know, I was privately bitching about the coverage and didn't totally comprehend the full scope of the AlliSports internet coverage of motos one...

True.

As you know, I was privately bitching about the coverage and didn't totally comprehend

the full scope of the AlliSports internet coverage of motos one.

My son hooked up his lap-top to our BIG ASS TV and happened to show me the motos

(after the fact) and the coverage was outstanding. Impressed was I.

My big gripes remain to be the Saturday dealio,(1) a lot of that is because my buddy

Gonz works in a Honda shop EVERY *&%$%^&& Saturday and I gots to hear him

bitching about the Saturday thing FAR too much (especially when he's hammered..)

(2) my other gripe is the FAGGY TIMED Qualifying, and we can't blame this on

MXSPORTS really - 'cause the AMA initiated this INSANE process - which, in my

book (it's a big book) - has had an absolutely awful impact on the sport as we know

it. Timing makes one-lined tracks and , more importantly, taking away the

qualifying RACES (remember, this IS MOTOCROSS "RACING") - has angered

the fans to immense proportions - and many privateers, too. Sorry, I ranted - again.

Overall, RED BUD coverage, both on live TV and the 'Net - was top-notch.

Could it be better ? Oh hell to the yes.I think the majority of folks would prefer to

see ( at least) fifteen minutes of EACH moto - if you cannot fit em both in - to an hour (?)

show.... Seeing highlights ( about 15 seconds) of moto one and then 18-20 minutes of

moto two is unsatisfactory. Having said all that, the TV coverage is the best we've

ever had and I do so realize they keep attempting to refine that, too....And we all

appreciate that greatly...
Agree on most points. I don't mind Saturdays as I don't have to work. Cannot stand the qualifying process. Why can't MXS and the AMA get back to some semblance of the old qualifying? TV/internet coverage has been great (though I usually DVR and watch it later, kind of like the VHS days of yesteryear- and please film a new human interest story for Millville! With all due respect, we don't need to see the Hahns shooting trap again!)

The Shop

Cygnus
7/12/2010 7:21pm
I hope you guys aren't too attached to the two moto format. That will be next to go.
honda907
7/12/2010 11:38pm Edited Date/Time 7/12/2010 11:41pm
honda907
7/12/2010 11:38pm Edited Date/Time 7/12/2010 11:41pm
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
7/13/2010 2:58pm
DC wrote:
If someone can't get off work on the one Saturday of the year because the nationals are nearby, there's just nothing I can do about it...
If someone can't get off work on the one Saturday of the year because the nationals are nearby, there's just nothing I can do about it. I apologize but it's a decision that we made with both the athletes and TV in mind, as well as expanding the reach of motocross to more fans.

It doesn't work for everyone obviously, but it's made for a huge step forward for the TV package and the riders and teams who were getting burned out on the long weekends. The old system meant that everyone was on the road for almost two weeks more (12 days) of a single summer. Put a pencil to what that costs a team that has to pay for all of those hotels, rental cars, meals, per diems, etc., for riders, mechanics, technicians, drivers, managers...

DC
MX Sports
Vickery motorsports in Denver is a huge shop that caters to motocross and dirt bikes with over 30 employees and sponsored Arlo and hundreds of other mx riders over the years and most of the empoyees ride and race, Do you think they can just shut down the shop on a saturday during the busiest months of the year in a already slow economy??
At least when it was a night race at lakewood some of these employees got to see some of the racing. But you ask these shops to SELL tickets to see your races but now because it on a saturday most cant go. Bravo DC.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
7/13/2010 2:58pm
DC wrote:
If someone can't get off work on the one Saturday of the year because the nationals are nearby, there's just nothing I can do about it...
If someone can't get off work on the one Saturday of the year because the nationals are nearby, there's just nothing I can do about it. I apologize but it's a decision that we made with both the athletes and TV in mind, as well as expanding the reach of motocross to more fans.

It doesn't work for everyone obviously, but it's made for a huge step forward for the TV package and the riders and teams who were getting burned out on the long weekends. The old system meant that everyone was on the road for almost two weeks more (12 days) of a single summer. Put a pencil to what that costs a team that has to pay for all of those hotels, rental cars, meals, per diems, etc., for riders, mechanics, technicians, drivers, managers...

DC
MX Sports
Vickery motorsports in Denver is a huge shop that caters to motocross and dirt bikes with over 30 employees and sponsored Arlo and hundreds of other mx riders over the years and most of the empoyees ride and race, Do you think they can just shut down the shop on a saturday during the busiest months of the year in a already slow economy??
At least when it was a night race at lakewood some of these employees got to see some of the racing. But you ask these shops to SELL tickets to see your races but now because it on a saturday most cant go. Bravo DC.
7/13/2010 3:15pm
DC wrote:

DC
MX Sports
lostboy819 wrote:
Vickery motorsports in Denver is a huge shop that caters to motocross and dirt bikes with over 30 employees and sponsored Arlo and hundreds of other...
I will be glad when you hit 1000 posts. Does this one help?
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
7/13/2010 3:23pm
So now you are going to follow me around on Vital ? what are you some kind of stalking faggot? You sign up in 2010 and have 1594 post of pure bullshit and dont even have the balls to post your real name in your profile. Why dont you piss off candy ass or man up and say who you are.................I dont think you have the balls.
7/13/2010 3:48pm Edited Date/Time 7/13/2010 3:49pm
lostboy819 wrote:
So now you are going to follow me around on Vital ? what are you some kind of stalking faggot? You sign up in 2010 and...
So now you are going to follow me around on Vital ? what are you some kind of stalking faggot? You sign up in 2010 and have 1594 post of pure bullshit and dont even have the balls to post your real name in your profile. Why dont you piss off candy ass or man up and say who you are.................I dont think you have the balls.
I was hoping you would respond. 1 more post closer to 1000 and then you will be gone. Following you? Stalking faggot? You probably only wish that were true Edward. LMAO Don't flatter yourself. As you can see I posted in this thread and it was long before your less than intelligent post. As for the guys that work at the shop, I guess seniority will rule. Do they all only race on Sundays?
Crossup
7/13/2010 5:20pm
Saturday is way better IMO! Every year at Southwick when the race was Sunday all my friends wanted to leave early cause they have to work...
Saturday is way better IMO! Every year at Southwick when the race was Sunday all my friends wanted to leave early cause they have to work Monday. Now everyone stays until the end and we end up doing something later at night. I like having Sunday to relax after a long day.
Agreed. Ever try to get out of Washougal, Unadilla, Binghamton, or Southwick after a Sunday national, rushing to get home? Sucked.

Saturday's are great. No rush... You can hang out and still have the rest of the weekend.
Outsider
7/13/2010 5:32pm
lostboy819 wrote:
So now you are going to follow me around on Vital ? what are you some kind of stalking faggot? You sign up in 2010 and...
I was hoping you would respond. 1 more post closer to 1000 and then you will be gone. Following you? Stalking faggot? You probably only wish...
I was hoping you would respond. 1 more post closer to 1000 and then you will be gone. Following you? Stalking faggot? You probably only wish that were true Edward. LMAO Don't flatter yourself. As you can see I posted in this thread and it was long before your less than intelligent post. As for the guys that work at the shop, I guess seniority will rule. Do they all only race on Sundays?
Interesting... Whistling
KAWboy14
7/14/2010 11:03am
David Izer wrote:
How shortsighted have we become? Remember not that long ago when we were on the OLN channel when the nationals were aired sometime after the harvest...
How shortsighted have we become? Remember not that long ago when we were on the OLN channel when the nationals were aired sometime after the harvest moon each month.

I could not have been more proud of our series, MX Sports, riders, the Richie family and everyone involved after watching Red Bud live on NBC. It was an awesome track and presentation that offered great racing and proves what level our sport has reached and continues to strive towards.

Rupert X wrote:
True. As you know, I was privately bitching about the coverage and didn't totally comprehend the full scope of the AlliSports internet coverage of motos one...

True.

As you know, I was privately bitching about the coverage and didn't totally comprehend

the full scope of the AlliSports internet coverage of motos one.

My son hooked up his lap-top to our BIG ASS TV and happened to show me the motos

(after the fact) and the coverage was outstanding. Impressed was I.

My big gripes remain to be the Saturday dealio,(1) a lot of that is because my buddy

Gonz works in a Honda shop EVERY *&%$%^&& Saturday and I gots to hear him

bitching about the Saturday thing FAR too much (especially when he's hammered..)

(2) my other gripe is the FAGGY TIMED Qualifying, and we can't blame this on

MXSPORTS really - 'cause the AMA initiated this INSANE process - which, in my

book (it's a big book) - has had an absolutely awful impact on the sport as we know

it. Timing makes one-lined tracks and , more importantly, taking away the

qualifying RACES (remember, this IS MOTOCROSS "RACING") - has angered

the fans to immense proportions - and many privateers, too. Sorry, I ranted - again.

Overall, RED BUD coverage, both on live TV and the 'Net - was top-notch.

Could it be better ? Oh hell to the yes.I think the majority of folks would prefer to

see ( at least) fifteen minutes of EACH moto - if you cannot fit em both in - to an hour (?)

show.... Seeing highlights ( about 15 seconds) of moto one and then 18-20 minutes of

moto two is unsatisfactory. Having said all that, the TV coverage is the best we've

ever had and I do so realize they keep attempting to refine that, too....And we all

appreciate that greatly...
rupe your #2 is whats messed up about moto.....someone else implemented something stupid and we cant change it now?
MXinOC
7/14/2010 12:04pm Edited Date/Time 7/14/2010 12:22pm
Trip wrote:
DC will be along shortly to tell you all how great Saturdays are. He will tell you how great the riders and the teams like Saturday...
DC will be along shortly to tell you all how great Saturdays are. He will tell you how great the riders and the teams like Saturday racing... Funny thing is, I can't think of a major sport where the players and the owners dictate when they play.. Anyone think the NFL would switch to Saturday if the owners and the players would rather play then??

There is a reason the NFL and Nascar are on Sundays. You think they just picked Sunday out of a hat?? It's called research!!!! Know the fan base your going after.. The demo for mx is a younger crowed, who are most likely not home on a Saturday afternoon watching TV.
Agreed!

DC and all: For research sakes...what are the feelings of having qualifers leading up to a one 45 minute moto televised final on Sunday? Similar format as Supercross! In business, normally you would find the solution to the problem, not just move forward and create a different problem. I do not believe our current motocross stars are any different than the stars of the 70's and 80's... they are NOT looking for an EASIER SOFTER way! Maybe TV was, but not the motocross community of athletes/stars and enthusiasts! In other words, the problem was... how do we get more TV exposure and create a larger fan base thus positively growing our sport of motocross? Solution: Definitely NOT and obviously NOT moving to Saturday! Workable Solution: See above. Again...the PROBLEM or DESIRED SOLUTION is to gain more TV exposure, growing our fan base and GROWING OUR SPORT!
KAWboy14
7/14/2010 1:47pm
Trip wrote:
DC will be along shortly to tell you all how great Saturdays are. He will tell you how great the riders and the teams like Saturday...
DC will be along shortly to tell you all how great Saturdays are. He will tell you how great the riders and the teams like Saturday racing... Funny thing is, I can't think of a major sport where the players and the owners dictate when they play.. Anyone think the NFL would switch to Saturday if the owners and the players would rather play then??

There is a reason the NFL and Nascar are on Sundays. You think they just picked Sunday out of a hat?? It's called research!!!! Know the fan base your going after.. The demo for mx is a younger crowed, who are most likely not home on a Saturday afternoon watching TV.
MXinOC wrote:
Agreed! DC and all: For research sakes...what are the feelings of having qualifers leading up to a one 45 minute moto televised final on Sunday? Similar...
Agreed!

DC and all: For research sakes...what are the feelings of having qualifers leading up to a one 45 minute moto televised final on Sunday? Similar format as Supercross! In business, normally you would find the solution to the problem, not just move forward and create a different problem. I do not believe our current motocross stars are any different than the stars of the 70's and 80's... they are NOT looking for an EASIER SOFTER way! Maybe TV was, but not the motocross community of athletes/stars and enthusiasts! In other words, the problem was... how do we get more TV exposure and create a larger fan base thus positively growing our sport of motocross? Solution: Definitely NOT and obviously NOT moving to Saturday! Workable Solution: See above. Again...the PROBLEM or DESIRED SOLUTION is to gain more TV exposure, growing our fan base and GROWING OUR SPORT!
it wont be long now and sx will take over mx!
MXinOC
7/14/2010 10:18pm
Trip wrote:

MXinOC wrote:
Agreed! DC and all: For research sakes...what are the feelings of having qualifers leading up to a one 45 minute moto televised final on Sunday? Similar...
Agreed!

KAWboy14 wrote:
I am in no way suggesting that KAWboy14. I am talking this kind of format at Nationals... Red Budd, Glen Helen, etc., etc., ON ANY SUNDAY!
MXinOC
7/14/2010 10:18pm
Trip wrote:

MXinOC wrote:
Agreed!

KAWboy14 wrote:
I am in no way suggesting that KAWboy14. I am talking this kind of format at Nationals... Red Budd, Glen Helen, etc., etc., ON ANY SUNDAY!
MXinOC
7/21/2010 10:55pm
MXinOC wrote:
Agreed!

KAWboy14 wrote:
MXinOC wrote:
We also need to let SX and MX split off from each other as in the sense of Major League Sports that have the East and West Divisions (i.e.; Football, Basketballand Baseball have their East and West Divisions that are two distinctive divisions with their own Champions, then co-mingling each division to create a world series champion. Both the SX and MX series should remain as is but some options are;

1) Create a 3rd Race Series. By shortening each individual series by as many as 6 races each, you now have a newly created 12 race Series (a combination of 6 Motocross races and 6 SX races that alternate each weekend) at the end of the year... to be known as the SuperMotocross Series or the MotocrossSuper Series. Thus, creating three distinctive series with the possibility of three different champions, or what I would prefer is having two Champions and one Grand National Champion. Fans would be watching "moto" all year long. I believe this would be a marketable format that would result in more TV exposure, similar to golf in that they have the PGA Tour and the so called "silly season" season that creates alot of TV for golf. Now add the Seniors Motocross and the Womens Motocross, again similar to golf, creating even more buzz on TV.

2) or perhaps, alternating weekends for each of the motocross and supercross series. This would no doubt create some "conflicts of interest" but would keep all fans, and I think most racers would want to race both series but you would not have a 3rd Series that is an exciting combination of the two series. I personally prefer Option 1 above.

3) In any case, I also believe that ALL races should be "Incentive Driven" with racers earning their money by WINNING, not paid very well before they ever compete each year. Do it like Golf... forget the team concept. Thus, creating larger purses for each race instead of highly paid Team individuals. The fans then are excited to watch the individual racer vying for the $500,000 purse race and showing the breakdown of the purse indicating what 2nd, 3rd...etc., what each position will earn. MONEY creates EXCITEMENT! Huge salaries do not. Each individual racer can have "endorsements (sponsors)" but each Series (e.g.; The PGA or the FedEx Golf Series, or its equivalent being the Toyota Supercross Series, and the newly created Muscle Milk National Motocross Series) and each individual Race will have its own sub-sponsor (e.g.: FMF sponsors the first race of the Muscle Milk Series, or AT&T sponsored first race of the Toyota Supercross Series similar to the way golf does it. Also, individual stars such as Jeremy McGrath or Roger DeCoster might sponsor another any of the other races in the Toyota Series. Again, similar to the way Golf has done it with the Bob Hope Golf Tournament or the former Bing Crosby or Dinah Shore Tournaments. Example: JS has an endorsement from L&M and others, just as Tiger is endorsed by Nike and others, and this one race in this example is sponsored by AT&T. Like golf, sponsors are allowed to add 2 or 3 "exempt" amateurs or privateers to their sponsored event.

4) I also feel that it would be beneficial to our sport if the Premiere division (450's/superstars) and second division (250's/up and comers) were not at the same events. The 250's could follow up the weekend after the 450's. Golf has the PGA tour for the superstars and The Nationwide Tour is for the up and comers... totally seperate tournaments. This would create more TV events, thus more exposure and more fans. This also DOUBLES the amount of qualifiers and racers for each division (450's and 250's) at each race, thus more fans, more revenue, more income available to all racers, all OEM's,etc., etc. Now that more SX Stadiums as well as more Race Tracks for Nationals are vying for events at their venues, (i.e.; The Coliseum has taken Anaheim2) lets make Anaheim2 and the Coliseum the experiment. Anaheim 2 is for the up and coming 250's and the Coliseum is for the Superstar 450's. And add the WMA to Anaheim2 with the 250's.

5) We need to distance our sports, MX and SX from the FMX "badass lifestyle and environment".

Post a reply to: nationals on sunday?

The Latest