my 89 Atlanta SX trip

hillbilly
Edited Date/Time 2/27/2015 7:29am
In 1989 I got a pro/am license to do gatorback ,Daytona and lake sugartree. Decided to hit Atlanta for fun since I'd never done one other than Daytona and at 26 yrs knew I may not get the chance again.

I loaded up the schoolbus ,took a friend that raced as a mechanic and 2 other friends that were good at throwing empty can toward a trashcan. We parked wayyy away from all the boxvans ,right beside the sidewalk of a 4 lane street. Unloaded the Cagivas and looked for tech inspection. I'm sure it turned heads and people pointed at the bikes but they were free .

My mechanic and I went inside to walk the track and see just how far over my head I was ,the other 2 were doing what they did best,emptying cans. The start went all the way across the floor then turned hard right into a huge double. Very tall takeoff that made the landing blind ,very tall landing,peaked as hell. I stepped it at 90 feet to get good backside,being a surveyor since a small kid my steps are true. I was worried about getting landed on and would jump this 2nd lap of practice or load up.

When we got on track my nerves were wound tight,it was mid 30s with wind whipping around but on 2nd lap I swung wide and pinned it barely making it. Next lap I got good distance but just missed the haybale on the right. Next lap I aimed more left I thought but landed on top of the hay and endoed into another lane racking my nuts so bad I couldn't get up. The bike was on past that lane and was hung wide open with a broke throttle housing. The corner worker kid picks it up by the bar and it starts going around in a circle with him screaming for me to cut it off.

I staggered over and grabbed it as he went by and laid it on it side shoving the cable back together. God,I thought "what have I gotten into here". I had no practice thru winter and was green as could be. But,next practice went better and I cleared it and a bunch of other peaked doubles and actually passed riders so last wasn't going to be me.

After practice we had time to chill out by the bus . One of the drinkers had bought a piece of jewelry off a brother and from then on they would leave us alone. " my brother says you looking for a gole chain" and it would have a 800 hundred dollar tag on it,lol.

I had a bathroom on the bus but told them if you drink 4 cases of beer you are gonna fill it up so find a place to piss. They started pissing in beer can and setting them on the curb. Right after big Al sets a can out this old bum comes down the street ,he sees the cans and picks up the warm one taking it with him. Big Al bets he will drink it,I take the bet and we watch as the bum goes up by a fence and turns it up. God, i was gagging,the bum hit his knees and started puking like a fire hose. I paid the bet and said I bet he never does that again.

I will post the ending in a few
|
downard254
2/26/2015 2:52pm Edited Date/Time 2/26/2015 2:52pm
Remember the big Doug Dubach "Holeshot Hotshot" 16 banner haning from the second tier behind the start gate. Yep, that was my buddies and I from Ohio University for our first of many Atlanta SX races. Damn good times.
2/26/2015 2:56pm Edited Date/Time 2/26/2015 5:39pm
Great stuff! Reading this brought back similar memories. Once at Kenworthys there was a guy passed out by the fence with a hot dog hanging out his pants, mayonnaise smeared in his beard and a sign on him proclaiming his sexual orientation
oshow
2/26/2015 4:37pm
How about the whoops. That morning they were frozen solid . It was like trying to jump ice jumps ....with what felt like street tires

The Shop

mark_swart
2/26/2015 4:41pm
Random post, but that race is near and dear to me too Hillbilly!

That was the first SX I ever went to!! We spent the day driving down from VA to get there in time for the night show. Rumor was that Kevin Walker broke both of his wrists in day practice. I'm still not sure on that one hahaa

Our seats were close to a huge ass double after the start, Bradshaw was one of very few 125s to jump it.

Great battle with Coop, RJ and Stanton. Coop ghosted the bike over a combo with a few laps to go, RJ fell over in a turn, and Stanton got his first win.

I might even have some pics somewhere.
hillbilly
2/26/2015 6:29pm
mark_swart wrote:
Random post, but that race is near and dear to me too Hillbilly! That was the first SX I ever went to!! We spent the day...
Random post, but that race is near and dear to me too Hillbilly!

That was the first SX I ever went to!! We spent the day driving down from VA to get there in time for the night show. Rumor was that Kevin Walker broke both of his wrists in day practice. I'm still not sure on that one hahaa

Our seats were close to a huge ass double after the start, Bradshaw was one of very few 125s to jump it.

Great battle with Coop, RJ and Stanton. Coop ghosted the bike over a combo with a few laps to go, RJ fell over in a turn, and Stanton got his first win.

I might even have some pics somewhere.
Like I said,time to kill. I was given a big vhs camcorder made by Magnavox ,my uncle was a big wig nd got one of the 1st. Magnavox was the place to work here back then but anyways.

I had that camera out filming the pits and the schoolbus with my mechanic shining the plate or such when a voice said " is that your bus?" Yeah I said "mind if we look at it?"I turned to see the Hurricane and Larry Maiers standing there. I told them to come on hoping my 2 drunk buddies weren't inside hitting a bong the size of a tater gun.

We go in the back and I show them what all I did,holds 6 bikes,workbench ,vise,water,pressure washer,shower. The door is shut to go up front and I'm thinking this will go one of 2 ways. Open the door and they are just turning up a whiskey bottle,whew..

Bob and larry get a kick out of the 5 gallon bucket full of cans with another bucket full laying around it. Had Bob sign a jersey of the shop I raced out of,still have it,didn't ask Larry,I think it hurt his feelings,lol.

After they leave I form a plan for if I leave here in a ambulance which is a real possibility the way I'm seeing it. We get ready for heats and roll into the inside,damn,couldn't believe the difference a bunch of people make ,it was mid 20s now with wind ,misery.

I got a midpack start and come around to do that double. You ran down the start deep into 4th then right and have maybe 75 feet to get speed. I'm sure the guy in front of me will do it being mid pack but he hangs the inside and rolls while i go ahead and jump cuz the guy behind me is and I'd rather kill myself as him do it. Go a few laps not losing many positions till I spin up a jump face and fly off the side of the track. Pick up not wanting to be last and still jump that double. I felt more victory just jumping it than anything else.

Get ready for semi ,the format was way different with 3 semi I recall. Get near last gate pick and go far outside. Charge down the start ,click 4th and the pack pushes me up on the haybales.,I ride over a few then knife the front and endo. They put plastic over plywood and that stuff doesn't slow me down. Luckly I get to sliding feet first and go into dugout or such. It had about 3 steps and I'm still going fast enuff to hit the back wall 2 steps high with my feet. As I'mlaying there on my back fans are spilling beer on me hollerin yeah hell yeah and giving thumbs up,lol. One of the piec of plywood was potatochip and it dinged my shoulder bad but i got the bike up and tried killing myself a few more laps.

It was fun as shit,the track huge compared to the dome. Still have that old vhs tape . When the race aired you could see me crashin the semi but go off the screen. The race that is on youtube now skips that semi for some reason and I lost the recording made from espn back then..

We all got in trouble later. ,good times.
hillbilly
2/26/2015 6:34pm
Well that came out of left field
Eh,Atlanta is coming up, I always think about the times Ihad when certain races come up.

Maybe when outdoor start I will post the story about a nat when the motorhome quit and a guitar playing retarded dude grabbed me off his porch and tried to drag me behind the house. Good times
Hut
2/26/2015 6:35pm
"We all got in trouble later. ,good times."

Made me laugh, that's awesome! Laughing
Hut
2/26/2015 6:36pm
hillbilly wrote:
Eh,Atlanta is coming up, I always think about the times Ihad when certain races come up. Maybe when outdoor start I will post the story about...
Eh,Atlanta is coming up, I always think about the times Ihad when certain races come up.

Maybe when outdoor start I will post the story about a nat when the motorhome quit and a guitar playing retarded dude grabbed me off his porch and tried to drag me behind the house. Good times
LaughingLaughingLaughing
yak651
Fantasy
214th
2/26/2015 6:39pm
I wish I was your neighbor!
Jack_Wagon
2/26/2015 10:57pm
My wife was the trophy girl at the 89 Atlanta SX. We didn't meet until a few years later. When YouTube came along I finally got a chance to see her in action. In the ESPN version they show her standing between Stanton and Johnson as they show the credits at the end.
flamenco
2/26/2015 11:19pm
hillbilly wrote:
Eh,Atlanta is coming up, I always think about the times Ihad when certain races come up. Maybe when outdoor start I will post the story about...

You better post that up!! I have been to the Atlanta rounds since I was a kid in the late 70s and Fulton County Stadium always seemed to have the worst weather -- cold and rainy. I was from south Georgia, so my Dad and I would drive four hours to the stadium, get soaking wet and freeze, then drive four hours home. God bless my Dad. I'm sure I was there for your experience! Atlanta always seemed to favor Hannah, and I as a kid, did too! But, I remember seeing Goat Breker's trailer and bike in a motel lot and realizing that the privateers were the shit as well. You all were!! The sport was changing so rapidly for bikes and obstacles as well. I remember seeing a truly long double for the first time and thinking, WTF, that is no landing ramp at all! Just as steep as the takeoff. Do they ride??? Hillbilly, keep it up!!
Frodad78
2/27/2015 5:12am
I love it when Hillbilly posts stories like this!
rallendude
2/27/2015 7:18am
I was there. My first SX experience I believe. Outside at Fulton Co. Stadium. You'd freeze your buns off until the sun got up good. Then get sun burned sitting in the stands for practice. Then freeze again when the sun went down. You could buy anything moto in the pits much cheaper than you could get it at your local bike shop. I believe I've made every race since that one.

Pros and mechanics sitting in the back of a box van in the middle of a parking lot.
hillbilly
2/27/2015 7:29am
hillbilly wrote:

flamenco wrote:
You better post that up!! I have been to the Atlanta rounds since I was a kid in the late 70s and Fulton County Stadium always...
You better post that up!! I have been to the Atlanta rounds since I was a kid in the late 70s and Fulton County Stadium always seemed to have the worst weather -- cold and rainy. I was from south Georgia, so my Dad and I would drive four hours to the stadium, get soaking wet and freeze, then drive four hours home. God bless my Dad. I'm sure I was there for your experience! Atlanta always seemed to favor Hannah, and I as a kid, did too! But, I remember seeing Goat Breker's trailer and bike in a motel lot and realizing that the privateers were the shit as well. You all were!! The sport was changing so rapidly for bikes and obstacles as well. I remember seeing a truly long double for the first time and thinking, WTF, that is no landing ramp at all! Just as steep as the takeoff. Do they ride??? Hillbilly, keep it up!!
All the doubles were like that back then. There was a section up the middle that had like 4 doubles in a row,I did the last 2 because the 1st 2 lauched you in a way that no backside could be got and guys would just flat land out past like a single.

I really figured a stretcher would carry me out but I'm to stupid to quit.

The trip where guitar man tried to drag me around his house is a long one ending with a fully destroyed knee at DB's track,all ligaments torn. I coined "jesus bars" on that trip while riding in the backseat of a chevette driven by a paperboy . Ever time we would cross the oncoming lane on a blind hill I'd squeeze those handles and say " oh Jesus". He picked me up after I ran like hell from guitar man across several yards and took me to a gas station.

Good times

Post a reply to: my 89 Atlanta SX trip

The Latest