mousse tubes. everyone?

Related:
Create New Tag

6/1/2019 10:52 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/1/2019 10:53 AM

All the top 10 guys run them? What are the cons? feel? weight?

|

6/1/2019 11:52 AM

Anyone have a picture of the one blowing out of the tire last race? Killed it for me.

|

6/1/2019 11:59 AM

One of the best things I've done is run the tubliss system. No pinchflats to worry about. Just ran a sand race at 8 psi which was awesome. If you get a flat you can still run it!
Mouses are too much work.

|

Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous. Checkout; ABetterStockMarket.com

6/1/2019 12:46 PM

Tubliss is great for situations that you want to run lower tire pressure for great traction. They are not a run-flat option as many people think. You can flat the Tubliss system and you would be done in a race. Mousse is a sure thing (except for Ben Lamay last weekend). It is a no flat option situation. The problem with the Mousse is you are set at a certain "feel" for tire pressure. With a tube you can adjust the pressure for rider preference or track conditions.

|

6/1/2019 12:50 PM

The top 15 in both classes pretty much run them in the rear but very few do in the front.

|

6/1/2019 12:51 PM

racinstation wrote:

Tubliss is great for situations that you want to run lower tire pressure for great traction. They are not a run-flat option as ...more

That's not true. I've run a whole day on a flat rear. Go on tubliss website. They run a drill through a rear tire several times then go out and rip! Depending on the tire you run (A stiff desert type tire) can equal 7 p.s.i. completely flat!

|

Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous. Checkout; ABetterStockMarket.com

6/1/2019 12:53 PM

moto0852 wrote:

One of the best things I've done is run the tubliss system. No pinchflats to worry about. Just ran a sand race at 8 psi which ...more

After 23 years of riding the only pinch flat I've ever had was when I was learning how to change a tire...

|

6/1/2019 12:53 PM

moto0852 wrote:

One of the best things I've done is run the tubliss system. No pinchflats to worry about. Just ran a sand race at 8 psi which ...more

Lol learn how to change one😂 What is so much work about them? Hopefully your Tubliss never fails...because they do. And it really sucks when that tire is coming off the rim and you are a long way from home brother...

|

6/1/2019 12:55 PM

racinstation wrote:

Tubliss is great for situations that you want to run lower tire pressure for great traction. They are not a run-flat option as ...more

Easy to play with different mousses, mousse sizes to get the feel you want. Easy to drill them as well to get a softer feel. You want less PSI feel? Run a smaller mousse than you normally would in the tire.

|

6/1/2019 12:57 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/1/2019 1:00 PM

moto0852 wrote:

One of the best things I've done is run the tubliss system. No pinchflats to worry about. Just ran a sand race at 8 psi which ...more

Tuna wrote:

Lol learn how to change one What is so much work about them? Hopefully your Tubliss never fails...because they do. And it ...more

1. I've learned. When I found a better , easier way I continued to learn.
2. Everything fails at some point...everything. Remember this post is about a Mousse failing. Been running tubliss since they came out. Knock on wood, never had (or seen) one single failure. I can't say that about Mousse or tubes.

|

Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous. Checkout; ABetterStockMarket.com

6/1/2019 1:08 PM

racinstation wrote:

Tubliss is great for situations that you want to run lower tire pressure for great traction. They are not a run-flat option as ...more

moto0852 wrote:

That's not true. I've run a whole day on a flat rear. Go on tubliss website. They run a drill through a rear tire several ...more

Take a tire with a Tubliss system in it and drive a nail in the center of the tire to the rim. Do the same with a Mousse insert. See who gets home first.

|

6/1/2019 1:09 PM

I can't ride with a tube in rear. 0.8bar and there is a flat right away with pirelli mx32. 1.00bar, no traction and feels like there is no rebound damping.

There is nothing better then a reasonable broken in mousse. Traction is great, and a dead calm feeling.

But there is big difference in mousse size, feeling and weight and what tire you pair it with.
Mousse escaping tire I have seen several times. Typically when some try to run a 110 Michelin or Dunlop mousse in a 110 Bridgestone tire.

Dunlop rear mousse is around 4.2lbs, airmousse 4.4lbs. nitro around 4.1. Michelin (m199) is lightest and provide best feeling from new at 3lbs but holds up like shit. Maximum 10h.

Front I hate mousse. If I run it, I always try to run it stiff as hell so typically stuffing in another 5" of mousse from a old one.

|

6/1/2019 1:10 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/1/2019 1:12 PM

racinstation wrote:

Tubliss is great for situations that you want to run lower tire pressure for great traction. They are not a run-flat option as ...more

moto0852 wrote:

That's not true. I've run a whole day on a flat rear. Go on tubliss website. They run a drill through a rear tire several ...more

racinstation wrote:

Take a tire with a Tubliss system in it and drive a nail in the center of the tire to the rim. Do the same with a Mousse ...more

You're hammering a lot of nails straight through your tires into your rims? O.K. maybe...stop that? Things should go better. Also, If you take a blow torch to your wheels the tubliss will melt. Mental note not to do that either.

|

Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous. Checkout; ABetterStockMarket.com

6/1/2019 1:12 PM

racinstation wrote:

Tubliss is great for situations that you want to run lower tire pressure for great traction. They are not a run-flat option as ...more

moto0852 wrote:

That's not true. I've run a whole day on a flat rear. Go on tubliss website. They run a drill through a rear tire several ...more

A flat on tublis is as shitty as a flat with a tube. Only you can continue ride with it.

Also had more issues with flat when I did run tublis. Soon as I hit something hard the air escaped.

|

6/1/2019 1:14 PM

moto0852 wrote:

That's not true. I've run a whole day on a flat rear. Go on tubliss website. They run a drill through a rear tire several ...more

racinstation wrote:

Take a tire with a Tubliss system in it and drive a nail in the center of the tire to the rim. Do the same with a Mousse ...more

moto0852 wrote:

You're hammering a lot of nails straight through your tires into your rims? O.K. maybe...stop that? Things should go better. ...more

The point is this....Tubliss is a tube, it can tear or rip and you are done. You can run your low pressure portion at 0, but the high pressure can not. A Mousse insert will not flat. Tubliss is a great system for single track etc. Believe me, I sell a lot of them and like them. I am just saying that it is not a flat proof insurance policy like Mousse is.

|

6/1/2019 2:02 PM

Mousse is the only way to go. I ran front and rear when we were racing quite a bit 2 years ago off-road. Deadens the feeling. Pull them out and relube between race weeks. Was able to get a full season out of them.

|

6/1/2019 2:30 PM

VetMX.com wrote:

Anyone have a picture of the one blowing out of the tire last race? Killed it for me.

We run mousses front and rear. Wouldn’t think of going to a race without them. Too much $ to be lost because of a flat!

The reason the one failed at Pala was because they broke the bead on the tire when installing it. Basically they stretched it too much. You can actually hear it pop when you do it and know it happened. Been there, done that, one time!

As others have stated you can use different mousses for different things. My son uses much harder ones when he is on the moto track compared to the soft when doing extreme races or Endurocross.

Down side is weight, but we’ll gladly take it not to ruin a race or even a practice day.

Tubeless is great, but slice a tire and your done for the race.


|

6/1/2019 2:45 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/1/2019 2:47 PM

moto0852 wrote:

One of the best things I've done is run the tubliss system. No pinchflats to worry about. Just ran a sand race at 8 psi which ...more

Tuna wrote:

Lol learn how to change one What is so much work about them? Hopefully your Tubliss never fails...because they do. And it ...more

moto0852 wrote:

1. I've learned. When I found a better , easier way I continued to learn.
2. Everything fails at some point...everything. ...more

Well man, I can tell you that I’ve had plenty of Tubliss failures and nevera mousse failure. Sorry but the mousse is more fool proof than a Tubliss will ever be. It’s a great product but you are high thinking the failure rate on a mousse is higher than Tubliss. I just rode in Spain last month, no tubes or Tubliss there. You’d really need to hate yourself or your riding buddies to not run mousses in the area I rode. Like Cullins said, the only reason that mousse was coming out was because they broke the bead on the tire. Install error, not the problem with a mousse.

|

6/1/2019 2:46 PM

|

6/1/2019 3:10 PM

hate them.
easiest way to make bike feel 100lbs heavier.
same with HD tubes, ill instantly notice a HD tube in a front tire in the first 50feet especially if im doing a wheelie.
I run 8lbs rear 8-9lbs front on at81s no issues on rocks logs etc

|

6/1/2019 5:37 PM

I don’t like the mousse in the rear. Mainly because I ride extreme enduro terrain and run about 3 pounds in my rear tire. You can’t do that with a mousse obviously. If I’m doing a regular race I would probably run a mousse.

|

6/1/2019 5:51 PM

moto0852 wrote:

One of the best things I've done is run the tubliss system. No pinchflats to worry about. Just ran a sand race at 8 psi which ...more

Tuna wrote:

Lol learn how to change one What is so much work about them? Hopefully your Tubliss never fails...because they do. And it ...more

moto0852 wrote:

1. I've learned. When I found a better , easier way I continued to learn.
2. Everything fails at some point...everything. ...more

I know several desert racers that hopped on the tubliss bandwagon when they first came out...and immediately hopped back off when they kept having issues in races...all went back to bibs...

I have no experience with Moto...but for off road racing, as I look around, Tubliss isn't much better than a tube in terms of flat prevention. Trail riding, though? They are perfect for that.

For me? I've been racing USRA desert for 10 years on ultra heavy duty tubes...have had two pinch flats...ever (interestingly enough, they've both happened in the 2018 season).

|

6/1/2019 8:44 PM

ccullins wrote:

We run mousses front and rear. Wouldn’t think of going to a race without them. Too much $ to be lost because of a flat!

The ...more

This needs to be at the top of the responses. Finishing races and not wasting your time with unneeded problems at the track is 100% worth it. Installation isn’t that bad if you keep calm and have 5-6 good tire spoons for assistance. I don’t even have a tire stand, just do it on top of a cardboard box (but getting one soon).

|

6/1/2019 8:48 PM
Edited Date/Time: 6/1/2019 8:49 PM

ccullins wrote:

We run mousses front and rear. Wouldn’t think of going to a race without them. Too much $ to be lost because of a flat!

The ...more

|

6/2/2019 8:45 AM

I run TireBalls... I'll practice on a Mousse but run only TireBalls when I race...

|

6/2/2019 11:15 PM

VetMX.com wrote:

Anyone have a picture of the one blowing out of the tire last race? Killed it for me.

ccullins wrote:

We run mousses front and rear. Wouldn’t think of going to a race without them. Too much $ to be lost because of a flat!

The ...more

woodsbro wrote:

This needs to be at the top of the responses. Finishing races and not wasting your time with unneeded problems at the track is ...more

From what I was told last weekend, it didn't break during the installation. Bruised? Maybe.

Apparently, the particular rim that Ben was using is known as a double humper. Besides the outer bead (the sidewall of the rim), it also has an inner bead closer to each side of the raised center. That makes it really tough to get the bead of the tire into the raised section during installation with a mousse. Ben apparently made a late decision to change tires, and the installation was said to be a bit hurried.

Experienced installers (like the one who installed that tire) know if they've broken the bead wire. (Of course, so will everyone else in the vicinity, as it's quite loud.) Apparently Ben heard it pop on the track before it came apart.

Just as an FYI, Grant apparently got the brand wrong on TV. It starts with a P, not a D.

|

6/3/2019 12:37 AM

ccullins wrote:

We run mousses front and rear. Wouldn’t think of going to a race without them. Too much $ to be lost because of a flat!

The ...more

woodsbro wrote:

This needs to be at the top of the responses. Finishing races and not wasting your time with unneeded problems at the track is ...more

GuyB wrote:

From what I was told last weekend, it didn't break during the installation. Bruised? Maybe.

Apparently, the particular rim ...more

Always mount a air valve when mounting mousse, and use that to push out the bead. Otherwise it might be impossible to get it to seat properly.

|

6/3/2019 10:41 AM
Edited Date/Time: 6/3/2019 10:41 AM

Got a rear flat at the RhinoRally HS in the spring - only 10 mile into the race. Wasted hundreds of dollars in gas, entry fee, food, hotel, etc.. Decided I wouldn't let it happen again and put a mousse in front and rear and have now done 4 more races. I appreciate knowing the mousse is there as I fly through the rocky sections and never give it a second thought. However, I constantly struggle with front end washing out and lack of feel. I may go back to a HD tube in the front to get some of that feel back though.

|

6/3/2019 2:21 PM

When my son was a c and b Rider we used to use tubeless but as he got faster we couldn't finish a race without getting at least one flat. then they started exploding he could still go pretty fast on a flat tire as mentioned above, but the inner tube would explode and blow the tubule system apart. The one in the picture has been laying outside for a few years you can still see where it blew the cords out. we only run bibs now I got a rabaconda tire changer and it's just as easy as changing tubes.

Photo

|

6/4/2019 5:49 AM

A MOUSSE CANNOT CAUSE WHAT HAPPENED HERE!
No matter how the mousse might be damaged or aged, this can ONLY happen as a result of something wrong with the tire or install damage.

The bead had to break for this to happen, as some stated (who seems to know the situation) Ben heard a loud POP and then it let loose… That was the tire band breaking. Most likely caused by hasty install causing damage to the steel wires in the bead.

“Exploding tube” can’t and won’t cause this issue. This is also why using a rim lock with a mousse is important, it helps to hold the bead on in the case of a tire failure.

This is 100% a tire/install problem, NOT a mousse problem.

|