motocross is dying in ALABAMA!

CaryPT
11/2/2013 7:17am Edited Date/Time 11/5/2013 12:56pm
The last two races in North Alabama and South Alabama were serious duds with only 48 and 88 entries respectively. The main promoter (same guys who ran Ponca City Nationals last year) lost some serious $$. It is only a matter of time before the promoting ends. Where have all the riders and racers gone? Are other areas of the USA experiencing low local MX turnout too?

CaryPT
|
Stickers
11/2/2013 7:26am Edited Date/Time 11/2/2013 7:27am
I heard the Alabama series had a good turnout last weekend. Is 88 the number of riders or entries?
Economy really hit us hard here and mx turnouts dropped off back around 09. The secca harescramble series has had an average of 200 riders each race this season.
Trav138
11/2/2013 7:36am
No it sucks in a lot of places. Local mx is dying no doubt. Many reasons that have been hashed out countless times on here.
CaryPT
11/2/2013 7:41am
Stickers wrote:
I heard the Alabama series had a good turnout last weekend. Is 88 the number of riders or entries? Economy really hit us hard here and...
I heard the Alabama series had a good turnout last weekend. Is 88 the number of riders or entries?
Economy really hit us hard here and mx turnouts dropped off back around 09. The secca harescramble series has had an average of 200 riders each race this season.
The operator of Atmore Motocross in South Alabama reported those numbers to me last night. Terrible! Things get interesting when there are 200 entries (200 riders would be better!)
Motocross is expensive. I think the only way to increase the turnout is to incentivize with pro payouts. the young riders want to be a local pro who made 500 bucks. so, they'll stick around. Hell, that is what I made in the late 80's racing as a local pro in GA. The local pro race used to be a big deal. Now it sucks. In the 80's there would be 20 pro's at a local races - just a regular race weekend. I'd like to see that again!

CaryPT
ehr400
11/2/2013 7:41am
I agree with Cary, turnouts have been poor IMO. I think the same family promoting certain tracks has alot of people staying away from their tracks too.

SECCA races are great though. Red and Stick do a great job, great venues and great people. I am a moto head but been doing my fair share of SECCA HS's though. Get alot of seat time for the money per class.

The Shop

ehr400
11/2/2013 7:44am
Another thing to I notice, there is too many series within the state of Alabama for MX. That is the big issue. Spreads people out between tracks. The Ritchies that own Red Bud came up with the Great Lakes MX series in Michigan, NW Ohio, and northern Indiana and they get pretty damn good turnouts every race because the took the best tracks and made a single series out of them, not 3-4 different series with different promoters. Works great.

I personally like how Tom and Noah do their tracks and what they are thrying to accomplish. I strongly believe a majority of the mx'ers in Bama won't visit a RPM promoted race unless their family is held ransom. Whoever lives down here knows what I am talking about.
Trav138
11/2/2013 7:47am Edited Date/Time 11/2/2013 7:48am
ehr400 wrote:
I agree with Cary, turnouts have been poor IMO. I think the same family promoting certain tracks has alot of people staying away from their tracks...
I agree with Cary, turnouts have been poor IMO. I think the same family promoting certain tracks has alot of people staying away from their tracks too.

SECCA races are great though. Red and Stick do a great job, great venues and great people. I am a moto head but been doing my fair share of SECCA HS's though. Get alot of seat time for the money per class.
Agree its like that in many areas. Off road racing is very popular, great family atmosphere and a lot of riding/racing for the money. I always liked the GP type events offroad and a little moto mixed in and its still an endurance event. Being on the east coast i'd love one day to race some WORCS races, they look like so much fun if i could ever work it out and get out there.
CaryPT
11/2/2013 7:51am
ehr400 wrote:
Another thing to I notice, there is too many series within the state of Alabama for MX. That is the big issue. Spreads people out between...
Another thing to I notice, there is too many series within the state of Alabama for MX. That is the big issue. Spreads people out between tracks. The Ritchies that own Red Bud came up with the Great Lakes MX series in Michigan, NW Ohio, and northern Indiana and they get pretty damn good turnouts every race because the took the best tracks and made a single series out of them, not 3-4 different series with different promoters. Works great.

I personally like how Tom and Noah do their tracks and what they are thrying to accomplish. I strongly believe a majority of the mx'ers in Bama won't visit a RPM promoted race unless their family is held ransom. Whoever lives down here knows what I am talking about.
I didn't name names as I was trying to be somewhat discrete, but now that RPM has been mentioned....please do tell. what is going on?

curious racer,

CaryPT
ehr400
11/2/2013 7:56am
Thats fine, IDGAF. Tom from MM and Noah from Noahs MX plus the guys from Atmore and other tracks in Bama are great people. However there has been alot of issues between riders/ spectators including my own personal ones with RPM that they will never recieve any money from me again. There is a reason why they were run out of central Florida. Also their interest in Ponca and Duquoin makes me wonder if they are getting ready to again.

Another thing look at the sign ups for the big races or most in general with them at Mill Creek, most riders are not Bama riders. I know 7-8 guys that will drive to other said tracks then do any buisness with them.
MOTOXR12
11/2/2013 7:59am
It's dying in the KCMO Metro too. Used to be 4 tracks within an hour, now down to two, and of those two, one is only open occasionally (used to be open every weekend).
Strange- I have been riding/racing since 1971. I'm getting closer to the day when I will have to stop (ugh)- seems like the way things are winding down (due to the economy or whatever)- the sport is going with me- on a local level at least.
I know, a bit dramatic, but I can clearly see the change...
In the meantime, just went through my latest knee surgery (third since 1980)- scoped it to get rid of scar tissue and smoothe things out- get rid of the pain- and am looking forward to getting out to the track next weekend.
Moto on...
11/2/2013 8:10am
MOTOXR12 wrote:
It's dying in the KCMO Metro too. Used to be 4 tracks within an hour, now down to two, and of those two, one is only...
It's dying in the KCMO Metro too. Used to be 4 tracks within an hour, now down to two, and of those two, one is only open occasionally (used to be open every weekend).
Strange- I have been riding/racing since 1971. I'm getting closer to the day when I will have to stop (ugh)- seems like the way things are winding down (due to the economy or whatever)- the sport is going with me- on a local level at least.
I know, a bit dramatic, but I can clearly see the change...
In the meantime, just went through my latest knee surgery (third since 1980)- scoped it to get rid of scar tissue and smoothe things out- get rid of the pain- and am looking forward to getting out to the track next weekend.
Moto on...
It might get better. I'm also in the "if any more tracks close I will find a new hobby" boat, as sad as it is. But with a new facility opening in Nevada and a new one by Clinton going up, it may change. It's also sad when one of our few tracks that are open are not any fun, so it's not worth going.
Highsider
11/2/2013 8:12am
You KC area guys keep me posted of Thanksgiving weekend practices.
Thanks!
11/2/2013 8:15am
Highsider wrote:
Thanks!
From what I hear you guys have a sweet new track up there!
ehr400
11/2/2013 8:17am
In Michigan two old tracks are reopening after new owners have taken over. It seems to be getting stronger in the Midwest but down here suffering?

Another thing that burns my ass too is the fact alot of the track owners down here except a handful are not open on weekdays for practice. Makes no sense. Also it takes a act of congress to get a hold of a majority of the track owners and figure out if they are open this weekend or what. Most of it is their own doing.
downard254
11/2/2013 8:41am
Maybe I'll get railed a bit for my opinion on this, but I've mentioned before that in the mid 90's when I hung up the boots in competition, I simply couldn't take going to the races and watching 50 classes (exaggeration) and waiting all day to get 10 minutes of racing. In the early 80's when they started adding classes because of large turnout, this escalated because of the "me too" syndrome of trying to add a class for every age group/skill level/bike size known. I.E. we had the schoolboy class, then the 25+ class, then complaints came from the 16-24 age group that there wasn't a special class for them, hence the college boy class. Now you have 4 riders in each class at some local races and they'll combine/stagger start three different classes during one race, and it still takes 8 hours to run the roster. I'd love to hit the lottery and build an awesome track and go back to the basics. Pee Wee, 65, mini jr./sr., 125 beginner/expert, 250 beginner/expert, open beginner/expert. Run 20 minute motos, and be done by 5 pm. Not everyone can win, so why try to create a class so everyone can have a trophy. I'd just like to see full gates, longer motos, and good racing.
Huckster
11/2/2013 9:11am
downard254 wrote:
Maybe I'll get railed a bit for my opinion on this, but I've mentioned before that in the mid 90's when I hung up the boots...
Maybe I'll get railed a bit for my opinion on this, but I've mentioned before that in the mid 90's when I hung up the boots in competition, I simply couldn't take going to the races and watching 50 classes (exaggeration) and waiting all day to get 10 minutes of racing. In the early 80's when they started adding classes because of large turnout, this escalated because of the "me too" syndrome of trying to add a class for every age group/skill level/bike size known. I.E. we had the schoolboy class, then the 25+ class, then complaints came from the 16-24 age group that there wasn't a special class for them, hence the college boy class. Now you have 4 riders in each class at some local races and they'll combine/stagger start three different classes during one race, and it still takes 8 hours to run the roster. I'd love to hit the lottery and build an awesome track and go back to the basics. Pee Wee, 65, mini jr./sr., 125 beginner/expert, 250 beginner/expert, open beginner/expert. Run 20 minute motos, and be done by 5 pm. Not everyone can win, so why try to create a class so everyone can have a trophy. I'd just like to see full gates, longer motos, and good racing.
I hope you win the lottery. I would come to your track. Thats exactly why I have stopped racing as much over the last 6-7 years. I have a group of friends, 8-10 guys all in their 40's, who go to a local practice track every Sunday. We get a 20 minute moto every hr and can sit around and BS during that 40min of downtime. Its so much more seat time and even though I think nothing replaces the rush of racing, it's just hard to compete when you can ride for 2+ hrs(actual seat time), be home by 4pm and still have a great time.
bents
Fantasy
694th
11/2/2013 9:12am
Amen to that. This is a huge issue. 200 bucks to get to the track, pay entry fees, and sit around all day for a few 5 lap motos. Sucks balls.
MarkF
11/2/2013 10:21am
Stickers wrote:
I heard the Alabama series had a good turnout last weekend. Is 88 the number of riders or entries? Economy really hit us hard here and...
CaryPT wrote:
The operator of Atmore Motocross in South Alabama reported those numbers to me last night. Terrible! Things get interesting when there are 200 entries (200 riders...
The operator of Atmore Motocross in South Alabama reported those numbers to me last night. Terrible! Things get interesting when there are 200 entries (200 riders would be better!)
Motocross is expensive. I think the only way to increase the turnout is to incentivize with pro payouts. the young riders want to be a local pro who made 500 bucks. so, they'll stick around. Hell, that is what I made in the late 80's racing as a local pro in GA. The local pro race used to be a big deal. Now it sucks. In the 80's there would be 20 pro's at a local races - just a regular race weekend. I'd like to see that again!

CaryPT
My son and I went to a race in Atmore a couple years ago. I believe there were around 80-90 sign ups. We had a great time. The track was fun, the people were friendly and the promoter was very hospitable. I believe he is/was the owner of Mill Creek. We were surprised with the turnout. Here in Colorado we have 300-500 sign ups at every event.
Zesiger 112
Fantasy
1835th
11/2/2013 10:35am
My last local race. 15 big bikes (125-450), maybe 8 minis (85cc) and about 5 kids (50cc-65cc) and 2 couches with wheels (quads). But to be fair it was a sand track, so alot of parents didnt bring little ones and all the prepped track riders didn't come.
kzizok
Fantasy
1859th
11/2/2013 10:53am
Its dying everywhere. The Branson "national" had around 300 entries(I heard it was the last year but who knows). Local races on Sat nights get 20-50 total. It really is sad. I've said it before but as crazy as it sounds, I can envision the sport going totally away(at least at the local level).
FLmxer
Fantasy
989th
11/2/2013 11:00am
No tracks in South Florida. Seminole was as good as it gets and it closed and the rest too. A little thing just opened near me and it is tiny and no jumps. I saw a video and there was a guy who I think maybe runs it , was ripping around the track on a quad no helmet and about crashed a few times. I am worried about the future.
Bulldog
11/2/2013 11:22am Edited Date/Time 11/2/2013 11:30am
bents wrote:
Amen to that. This is a huge issue. 200 bucks to get to the track, pay entry fees, and sit around all day for a few...
Amen to that. This is a huge issue. 200 bucks to get to the track, pay entry fees, and sit around all day for a few 5 lap motos. Sucks balls.
That was my main reason for moving away from mx to offroad. Entry fees are about the same but you will get 2-3 hours of racing in a day...

The Unadilla GNCC this year was the largest event ever with just under 2000 entries for the weekend and the Main event was 3-Hours of racing...
alien
11/2/2013 11:31am Edited Date/Time 11/2/2013 11:34am
I was at the last millcreek race and 48 riders seems about right. Now this was a make up race for one that was rained out, and it did run against the muddy creek top gun showdown. I have to praise the promoter, knowing he was losing money the track was still prepped to perfection and they watered all day . It's not just Alabama suffering the low turn outs, local mx in the south is hurting period. If it is some special race like a lorettea qualifier or the motocross league race held in macon last month the crowd will be large. It's possible there are just more races per year than the average family can afford and they pick the few they will attend based on importance. If we were to drop the AMA that might bring cost down and allow a race to make a profit with the lower turnouts. I think it cost $ 2500.00 for an AMA sanction per weekend. I have been racing over 35 years and have seen the sport grow and shrink then grow again, it's all about the economy and how much cash is left at the end of the month.
I am racing a three year old bike and would love a new one (and can even afford to write a check for it) but I can't justify spending $8500.00 on a new dirt bike when I ride as slow as I and all the guys in my age class do.
user760a
11/2/2013 11:51am
bents wrote:
Amen to that. This is a huge issue. 200 bucks to get to the track, pay entry fees, and sit around all day for a few...
Bulldog wrote:
That was my main reason for moving away from mx to offroad. Entry fees are about the same but you will get 2-3 hours of racing...
That was my main reason for moving away from mx to offroad. Entry fees are about the same but you will get 2-3 hours of racing in a day...

The Unadilla GNCC this year was the largest event ever with just under 2000 entries for the weekend and the Main event was 3-Hours of racing...
i hear that.

I first raced the steele creek GNCC in 09. had no idea what to expect...It was like a two hour motocross race. I will probably never race another motocross race though I ride practice tracks and have fun batteling all the time. There is no way I am spending a ton of money and driving all over the country for 15 min. seat time The moto scene is dead around here, off road scene very healthy.
11/2/2013 12:27pm
I don't know why tracks are closing and turnouts suck but I do know that it has NOTHING to do with the 4 stroke whatsoever.
11/2/2013 1:36pm
Things are looking pretty good here in N. Florida. The few tracks I've been to are always pretty crowded. Plus, WW MX Park is going to FINALLY open next weekend. The owner has spent over a million dollars making WW into a premiere destination. Pictures next week for all you moto-heads.
MOTOXR12
11/2/2013 1:42pm
Highsider wrote:
Thanks!
From what I hear you guys have a sweet new track up there!
You might be talking about Nebo Hill, it's about an hour and a half from KCMetro- which isn't bad- and I plan on going there soon (recovering from knee surgery).
But, the fact remains- was 4 within an hour, now only 1 full time and 1 part time track that close, which indicates to me moto scene is less than it was.
MOTOXR12
11/2/2013 1:44pm
Highsider wrote:
Thanks!
Hope you got my message, but- check out mostatemx.com forum for up to date info on tracks - Grain Valley, Kingsville, Nebo Hill, etc...
JB 19
11/2/2013 1:53pm
There are tracks around here that are doing well, but they take their track prep very serious. This isn't the 80's anymore where people will ride and race in a hard pack dust storm. Unfortunately, most of us want to ride at something that looks like Red Bud. The tracks that are ripped, watered and form axel deep ruts are where the riders are going.

Tracks that don't evolve with the times are getting left behind.
yak651
Fantasy
168th
11/2/2013 2:03pm
downard254 wrote:
Maybe I'll get railed a bit for my opinion on this, but I've mentioned before that in the mid 90's when I hung up the boots...
A guy in WI is trying to do this next year, so we'll see how it works out. Not sure I'm able to race for 20 minutes anymore!

Subject: New WIMX (Wisconsin Motocross) Series 10/31/13

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am starting a new Motocross series for 2014 in addtion to WIXC. I have three common complaints from the MX riders. Race day is too long, Motos are too short and the cost is too high. I will eliminate all three of these problems. We will be running a split program which will give each group a short race day, somewhere in the 3 hour range per session. The motos will be 20 minutes and the cost will be $30 per class and all you will need is a $25 per year membership from RPA Offroad which allows you to race all of my Cross Country races and MX races. We also will offer a one day membership for only $10 for those not sure if they will be racing more than once. Another problem is not having a class for 125 two strokes which in my opinion is the growth of the sport since it gives a new person to the sport an affordable way to get involved and yet be competitive, so I will be offering a 150cc B and C class which covers anyone with a 144 kit. There will be 8 rounds for 2014 and I am working on two more tracks for 2015 with a goal of 12 races for 2015. 5 of the 8 races will be doubled up with my WIXC races, MX on Saturday and XC on Sunday. Please watch for updates. Thanks, Rick
11/2/2013 2:09pm
JB 19 wrote:
There are tracks around here that are doing well, but they take their track prep very serious. This isn't the 80's anymore where people will ride...
There are tracks around here that are doing well, but they take their track prep very serious. This isn't the 80's anymore where people will ride and race in a hard pack dust storm. Unfortunately, most of us want to ride at something that looks like Red Bud. The tracks that are ripped, watered and form axel deep ruts are where the riders are going.

Tracks that don't evolve with the times are getting left behind.
That makes sense. I really have no evidence of how things are going here - beyond anecdotal. Yet, things seem to be cooking along pretty good. To have such a large facility as WW open here in the middle of Jacksonville is a pretty big deal, and I think we are all hoping this will result in more people riding. Jacksonville is absolutely gigantic as far as the city limits. A whole bunch of that is woods that can't be ridden in. It's all posted, gated, fenced, etc. Currently, there are six tracks within an hour's drive of the city. Hopefully WW can make it known that you no longer have to drive 40 miles to ride, and we'll see even more of a resurgence. Hard to say what's going to happen though. Ya just never know.

Post a reply to: motocross is dying in ALABAMA!

The Latest