moto related science project??

Edited Date/Time 11/15/2013 3:23pm
ok vitards 12 y/o son has a science fair comming up. any ideas for a bike related science project.

keep it simple and cheap.

im thinking gearing... i have a 13 and 14 tooth front sproket figured if i bought a rear sproket with +1 i can make a few combos and have him make a few passes over a determined course and record the times.
|
peelout
11/14/2013 10:28am Edited Date/Time 11/14/2013 10:30am
i don't think the gearing changes will give very concrete results... my opinion.

can you get access to a decible reader?

what if you bought a couple different types of silencer packing and tested them versus the stock packing and gave the read-out? the report could be the problems with noise pollution (plenty of background material if you do some google searches) and an attempt/idea to help with the issue

is his teacher a dude? a direct link at the end of the report to DD twerking might be good for some extra credit
mxtech1
11/14/2013 10:31am
Have him show the differences between oil viscosity. It's simple, measure amount "x" ounces of each type, pour them all through the same funnel, and time how long it takes to empty. You can then use excel graphs to show some simple correlations. If you want to get tricky, do one trial cold, one trial room temp, and one trial heated.
TwoTwo150
11/14/2013 10:37am
I did one when I was about 12ish and I compared OEM exhausts to aftermarket exhausts.

The Shop

newmann
11/14/2013 10:53am
Sad thing is, when I was in school we probably could have conducted sound testing on school grounds using these.Wink

Shameless plug for my friends at Yankee Hill Machine (yhm.net).Wink
11/14/2013 11:03am
hmmmm
i do have a few stock silencers. that need repacking anyway. could buy a pack of FMF, pro circuit and test the rumors of house insulation cause a have a roll of that in the house.

wonder if there is an app for DB meter.
SEE ARE125
11/14/2013 11:09am Edited Date/Time 11/14/2013 11:16am
What about something like the K&N displays in the auto parts stores? Fab up something similar with a place to clamp bike air filters, a vacuum cleaner, and a piece of clear pipe with a ping pong ball in it. Compare the air flow of different filters. That way the class/teacher could actually see for themselves as opposed to just reading your findings.

11/14/2013 11:13am
Talk about how a motorcycle turns (most likely a street bike but mx is closley related). Explain the forces acting on the bike. Since its a two wheel system when the front tire is missaligned it causes a torque on the frame or called frame kink and like bike will lean in the opposit direction (counter steering). When the bike leans tge camber thrust of the tires will allow it to follow through the turn or known as the dixie cup affect , then gravity will cause a torque on the stearing head and straighten it out. And to get tge bike to stand back up you just accelerate or deccelerate. You can use a bicylle rim with a shaft through the hub spiin the tire while holding ths shaft and turn the wheel to the right and it will lean left. Idk might be alright he can have a video of some super bike racers cornering and could right up a pretty good report about it.
Markee
Fantasy
1890th
11/14/2013 11:41am
How about take a stock bike and regular dude with 2005 moose gear and record the reactions to moto babes at your local track, then same dude with 2014 monster thor gear and pimp bike and teach these 12-13 olds a real lesson that money buys the honey buns and not the type in the cafeteria.

Or

Well, nothing is cheap in mx. But you could buy 3 sets of popular hand grips and do a durability test buy dropping, slamming, scrapping, twisting (get your boy and his gloves and get to twisting for some arm pump training) etc.. and Document the damage with some good Macro pictures, even could email these 3 companies and maybe get the derometer ratings of the grip to compare..

umm

Compare a few companies filter cleaning kits.

Compare water vs 50/50 vs full strength vs engine ice on the ability to cool?? Kinda messy and a lot of variables.
disbanded
Fantasy
1734th
11/14/2013 11:42am
Have him talk about the ratio of pulling chicks for moto and non-moto people.

I guarantee you that moto dudes pull a hell of a lot more chicks than civilians. Probably at least 3 to 1.
11/14/2013 11:49am
ohhhh shit i just got a heart reate monitor. maybe record heart rates for moto vs other sports, activities.

damit stop me before it turns into dads science project lol

i'll go over all the ideas with him tonight and see what he thinks about each.
11/14/2013 11:58am
disbanded wrote:
Have him talk about the ratio of pulling chicks for moto and non-moto people. I guarantee you that moto dudes pull a hell of a lot...
Have him talk about the ratio of pulling chicks for moto and non-moto people.

I guarantee you that moto dudes pull a hell of a lot more chicks than civilians. Probably at least 3 to 1.
lmoa but its not working for him. at age 12 and just into 6th grade he has asked out just about every 6th grade chick and came up zero.

time to start loading up his instagram and face pic with riding pics and vids. lol

but the theroy is correct and my wife was abslutly pissed last time she went to the track and a moto chick came over flashing a smile and asked if i could hold he bike while she starts it lol. damn right i did ..............

for what its worth he is slightly learning disabled so any project nees to be pretty simple.
Markee
Fantasy
1890th
11/14/2013 12:01pm
Heart rate is way up there. When on the road bike, a constant 1 mile sprint @ 170 bpm feels like i'm doing something.

Put the heart rate on at the track, did a sprint lap, looked down and it was 210, about shit myselft. It will be waaay different from other cardio sports. different as in higher i believe.
kstyle
11/14/2013 12:49pm
peelout wrote:
i don't think the gearing changes will give very concrete results... my opinion. can you get access to a decible reader? what if you bought a...
i don't think the gearing changes will give very concrete results... my opinion.

what if you bought a couple different types of silencer packing and tested them versus the stock packing and gave the read-out? the report could be the problems with noise pollution (plenty of background material if you do some google searches) and an attempt/idea to help with the issue

is his teacher a dude? a direct link at the end of the report to DD twerking might be good for some extra credit
I was going to suggest the same!! About the decibel reader and silencer packing vs. noise, not the DD twerking. Our local track recently had an environmental study done on it as well, measuring sound from surrounding areas and heights of different jumps.
sybro
11/14/2013 1:17pm
There are Decibel meter for iphone , just search on the appstore
newmann
11/14/2013 2:17pm
Have him explain the differences of a 1/8th ton pig of a YZ450 and the sub 200 pound YZ125. Have a dealer bring them over with a truck and a loading ramp and have all the kids load them up. Then explain to them the advantages of the lightweight more power producing per cc 2 stroke with 157 fewer friction causing, power robbing parts of the inefficient 4 stroke.Grinning

Oh hell, it's turning into my science project....lol
newmann
11/14/2013 2:20pm
Markee wrote:
How about take a stock bike and regular dude with 2005 moose gear and record the reactions to moto babes at your local track, then same...
How about take a stock bike and regular dude with 2005 moose gear and record the reactions to moto babes at your local track, then same dude with 2014 monster thor gear and pimp bike and teach these 12-13 olds a real lesson that money buys the honey buns and not the type in the cafeteria.

Or

Well, nothing is cheap in mx. But you could buy 3 sets of popular hand grips and do a durability test buy dropping, slamming, scrapping, twisting (get your boy and his gloves and get to twisting for some arm pump training) etc.. and Document the damage with some good Macro pictures, even could email these 3 companies and maybe get the derometer ratings of the grip to compare..

umm

Compare a few companies filter cleaning kits.

Compare water vs 50/50 vs full strength vs engine ice on the ability to cool?? Kinda messy and a lot of variables.

Don't do that to Dave again..... That was an internet phuckfest of all time with shit getting tested under methods that didn't apply to how an engine produces heat if I remember correctly. All of the keyboard chemists were jumping in.
11/14/2013 2:26pm
newmann wrote:
Sad thing is, when I was in school we probably could have conducted sound testing on school grounds using these.;) [img]http://www.nfasales.com/Suppressor%20Pics%20For%20Sale/YHM%20Wraith_003.jpg[/img] Shameless plug for my friends...
Sad thing is, when I was in school we probably could have conducted sound testing on school grounds using these.Wink

Holy crap! This whole time I thought silencers were illegal. I'm definitely getting one when I buy a gun. Sorry, carry on with the actual discussion.

If you wanted to do an easy one you could vary the amount of PSI you put in your tires and get a lot of holeshot practice. You might fry your clutch though.
newmann
11/14/2013 2:34pm Edited Date/Time 11/14/2013 2:40pm
newmann wrote:
Sad thing is, when I was in school we probably could have conducted sound testing on school grounds using these.;) [img]http://www.nfasales.com/Suppressor%20Pics%20For%20Sale/YHM%20Wraith_003.jpg[/img] Shameless plug for my friends...

Holy crap! This whole time I thought silencers were illegal. I'm definitely getting one when I buy a gun. Sorry, carry on with the actual discussion...
Holy crap! This whole time I thought silencers were illegal. I'm definitely getting one when I buy a gun. Sorry, carry on with the actual discussion.

If you wanted to do an easy one you could vary the amount of PSI you put in your tires and get a lot of holeshot practice. You might fry your clutch though.
Nope, not illegal at all. Just some registration paperwork, a $200.00 tax per silencer and a 6- who knows how long waiting game. I'm at about month six for a few of them myself. Looking forward to my backyard practice range.Smile

Don't forget to buy a gun with a threaded barrel or else you'll be spending extra coin for one of those.
ADynes
11/14/2013 3:51pm Edited Date/Time 11/14/2013 3:51pm
Test the effects of weight placement on a bike...

Get an old bicycle and bolt some weight to the frame (40lbs?). Push the bike up to a controlled speed ($10 Walmart spedometer) and let go. Move the weight to different locations (high/forward, high/rear, low/forward, low rear) and compare.
Some things you could measure/compare:
Time upright
Distance traveled
Stability (does it weave around or coast smoothly)
Shape of path traveled

Not sure how repeatable the results would be, but could be a fun/cheap experiment

FIREfish148
11/14/2013 5:15pm
I would think setting something up to show the effects of a Venturi in a carb would be cool. Probly be super time consuming but a cool project if done right.
bh84
Fantasy
1830th
11/14/2013 7:08pm
2 stroke vs 4 stroke emissions test. hook up a tube to each pipe and run it right into a bag with a plant in it, seal up the bags and see what dies first
tunedlength
11/14/2013 9:28pm
ADynes wrote:
Test the effects of weight placement on a bike... Get an old bicycle and bolt some weight to the frame (40lbs?). Push the bike up to...
Test the effects of weight placement on a bike...

Get an old bicycle and bolt some weight to the frame (40lbs?). Push the bike up to a controlled speed ($10 Walmart spedometer) and let go. Move the weight to different locations (high/forward, high/rear, low/forward, low rear) and compare.
Some things you could measure/compare:
Time upright
Distance traveled
Stability (does it weave around or coast smoothly)
Shape of path traveled

Not sure how repeatable the results would be, but could be a fun/cheap experiment

perfect
TwoTwo150
11/14/2013 9:55pm
bh84 wrote:
2 stroke vs 4 stroke emissions test. hook up a tube to each pipe and run it right into a bag with a plant in it...
2 stroke vs 4 stroke emissions test. hook up a tube to each pipe and run it right into a bag with a plant in it, seal up the bags and see what dies first
Test which premix plants like the most. Or test why race gas cost a small fortune.
barkbustn33
11/14/2013 10:06pm
The decibal recommendation sounds like a great project. Most local clubs have decibal readers, try getting in contact with one in your area and see if you coukd borrow for a couple days.
11/15/2013 6:09am
thanks everybody for the sugestions.
right now im leaning towards the heart rate just cause it will be simple to do and the average person could somewhat relate to it.

the sound level is a close second but we all know most peolple will look at that and so ummmmm sooooooo.

any other ideas??????

FYI my son was all over the sound level one but thats cause at first he thought that meant he would get a bunch of new pipes and silencers for his bike. lol
11/15/2013 7:06am Edited Date/Time 11/15/2013 7:08am
peelout wrote:
i don't think the gearing changes will give very concrete results... my opinion. can you get access to a decible reader? what if you bought a...

Dyno different gearing. Produce a graph. Concrete evidence. Science teacher will get a boner. Instant A. Measurable results.
peelout
11/15/2013 12:41pm
peelout wrote:

Dyno different gearing. Produce a graph. Concrete evidence. Science teacher will get a boner. Instant A. Measurable results.
a bigger chub than a DD twerk link attached to the end of the project?

do you even internet, bro?

Post a reply to: moto related science project??

The Latest