moto and snowmobiling

kawasa84
Edited Date/Time 3/19/2016 8:53am
Ok, this isn't 100% moto, but I want to know how many of you from up north, northeast, and the high country ride snowmobiles in the winter season to have fun but also stay in MX shape?
Even though I live in TX, I almost pulled the trigger on a 16' Polaris 800 Switchback Pro S ES.
I have traveled to many states, and ridden a lot of good mx tracks in those states. Now this next winter I plan to buy that new sled and ride from Ironwood, MI to Paradise, MI and back on a new sled. I would think the energy and muscle groups used would be similar to MX because most snowmobiles are more stand up riding now.
Since Canada was last week, and Detroit is this week, maybe some sledders could chime in.
Please, don't click me on this. I just want some input on how the 2 sports interconnect for staying in shape.
Lastly, I'm from up north, and my son is currently in college in Wisconsin, and this has rejuvenated my interest again.
Any body wanting so show a pic of you're sled would be cool too. Thanks
|
NATEP231
3/18/2016 10:00am

Being from Iowa I haven't rode a lot of snow mobiles but these and timbersled types are getting my attention a lot more
kawasa84
3/18/2016 10:07am
I've seen those. A friend I ride with from Watkins, CO bought a conversion kit and put one on his 2011 YZ 450. He said it took some getting used to, but in certain snow conditions, its really fun
dt210
3/18/2016 10:14am
I moto year-round!

DA498
3/18/2016 10:15am
Ask Tucker Hibbert! Simple answer, Yes....

The Shop

kawasa84
3/18/2016 10:19am
That video is pretty bad-ass! Those Timbersleds sales are doubling every year I've read
MR. X
3/18/2016 10:37am
For some reason I can ride my sled alot longer and harder than I can my bike.
Springcreek
3/18/2016 10:45am
kawasa84 wrote:
Ok, this isn't 100% moto, but I want to know how many of you from up north, northeast, and the high country ride snowmobiles in the...
Ok, this isn't 100% moto, but I want to know how many of you from up north, northeast, and the high country ride snowmobiles in the winter season to have fun but also stay in MX shape?
Even though I live in TX, I almost pulled the trigger on a 16' Polaris 800 Switchback Pro S ES.
I have traveled to many states, and ridden a lot of good mx tracks in those states. Now this next winter I plan to buy that new sled and ride from Ironwood, MI to Paradise, MI and back on a new sled. I would think the energy and muscle groups used would be similar to MX because most snowmobiles are more stand up riding now.
Since Canada was last week, and Detroit is this week, maybe some sledders could chime in.
Please, don't click me on this. I just want some input on how the 2 sports interconnect for staying in shape.
Lastly, I'm from up north, and my son is currently in college in Wisconsin, and this has rejuvenated my interest again.
If you ride that far you won't be standing up.

Typically on long trail ride you will go fast for a section then stop at an intersection in the trail to make sure your group is still all with you.

You can easily do 100-200 mile days on the trails in that area, more if you are hardcore.
3/18/2016 10:45am
Ironwood is near my neck of the woods. Ruffly 2 hours west of me and paradise is over 5 hours away into the lower peninsula. That's a haul. If next winter is anything like this winter I'd recommend trying to do it a month sooner. We pretty much lost all our snow over the past 2 weeks. Just got 6-8" yesterday morning and it's slowly melting away. Riding a distance like that will wear on you so try and get yourself use to riding longer distances. You use a lot of the same muscle groups but the load is bigger. It just wears you down. Be careful and keep an eye out for other sleds front and rear. Most of our snomobile deaths every year are alcohol related. A lot of people bar hop their way across the UP. Otherwise sounds like a fun trip and enjoy.

P.S. Dress warm. Its colder than a witches tit up here.
kawasa84
3/18/2016 11:06am
I plan to be up in the U. P. next January and February. Also, this is a 9 day trip both times I'll come up there. So I have time to do the U.P. west to east and back. My coworkers daughter is gong to school at Marquette. My brothers live in Wisconsin and Minnesota. Cold weather does not bother me. Plus I'll have all new gear for it.
I won't be drinking, unless it's just a beer after riding.
I used to race district 22 and district 23 for points many years ago. I miss the different elevation tracks up there. Everything down here is pretty flat, but has real awesome dirt.
dkg
3/18/2016 11:17am
I don't know about cell coverage in the areas you are riding in. I ride in the pacific northwest and bought one of these things to keep in touch in the event of mechanicals, etc. - satellite communicator

Delorme InReach
3/18/2016 11:54am
kawasa84 wrote:
I plan to be up in the U. P. next January and February. Also, this is a 9 day trip both times I'll come up there...
I plan to be up in the U. P. next January and February. Also, this is a 9 day trip both times I'll come up there. So I have time to do the U.P. west to east and back. My coworkers daughter is gong to school at Marquette. My brothers live in Wisconsin and Minnesota. Cold weather does not bother me. Plus I'll have all new gear for it.
I won't be drinking, unless it's just a beer after riding.
I used to race district 22 and district 23 for points many years ago. I miss the different elevation tracks up there. Everything down here is pretty flat, but has real awesome dirt.
Cool, Sounds like your set.
Katoomey
3/18/2016 11:59am
NATEP231 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/03/18/128454/s1200_image.jpg[/img] Being from Iowa I haven't rode a lot of snow mobiles but these and timbersled types are getting my attention a lot more

Being from Iowa I haven't rode a lot of snow mobiles but these and timbersled types are getting my attention a lot more
Not as great as you might think. Especially if the snow is deep. You'll spend more time rowing through the gears then anything.

if you must, a Snow Hawk is better. Not much better, but thats the nature of trying to cut your steak with a butter knife.
kawasa84
3/18/2016 12:17pm
NATEP231 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/03/18/128454/s1200_image.jpg[/img] Being from Iowa I haven't rode a lot of snow mobiles but these and timbersled types are getting my attention a lot more

Katoomey wrote:
Not as great as you might think. Especially if the snow is deep. You'll spend more time rowing through the gears then anything. if you must...
Not as great as you might think. Especially if the snow is deep. You'll spend more time rowing through the gears then anything.

if you must, a Snow Hawk is better. Not much better, but thats the nature of trying to cut your steak with a butter knife.
Yeah, that's what my buddy from CO told me about his conversion the his YZ450. He said its pretty fun on packed conditions, but not in the powder.
dedi684
3/18/2016 12:49pm
Nah ill take my hot grips and cushy seat in the winter. Moto x all the other seasons. Smile
kawasa84
3/18/2016 12:54pm
ak23 wrote:
This video will fire up the moto clan!! sleds will be obsolete soon - these things are easier to ride than sleds and can go more...
This video will fire up the moto clan!! sleds will be obsolete soon - these things are easier to ride than sleds and can go more places - not that fun on hard packed though - better skiis and tracks will love that soon

https://youtu.be/D1c6W8xbF_s

Holy Freakin Wow !! That shits way gnarlier than I thought. I had no clue these were this capable. Anybody into moto needs to watch this.
dboivin
3/18/2016 1:01pm
back country, boondock type here.gave up mx because i got old and fat and it hurts to hit the ground anymore.

dboivin
3/18/2016 1:09pm
snowbikes are fun but they ain't replacing sleds, lmao. i have years on a mx bike and I have no want to ride a snowbike. when you can stuff 160-180hp in a bike, let me know.
Katoomey
3/18/2016 1:32pm
ak23 wrote:
This video will fire up the moto clan!! sleds will be obsolete soon - these things are easier to ride than sleds and can go more...
This video will fire up the moto clan!! sleds will be obsolete soon - these things are easier to ride than sleds and can go more places - not that fun on hard packed though - better skiis and tracks will love that soon

They will absolutely not go more places than a mountain sled. In my neck of the woods you can barely get off the trail with them. I've ridden many of them. I know the gentlemen who prototyped the Timbersled skid. I've ridden every incarnation of snow bike to come down the pipe, from the Sno Scooters of the 70's to 200 hp boosted Snow Hawks. They are novelty items, and of the 20 or so people that i've known that purchased them, would never replace their sled for one. They're just fun to dink around on near the lodge or unloading areas. No one is taking them on an all day excursion into the back country.

The video you posted shows absolutely perfect conditions for a snowbike. A foot or 2 of powder over a small base.
YZ125H1
3/18/2016 1:35pm Edited Date/Time 3/18/2016 1:38pm
I love both sports. I like snowmobiling more because I get to do it less. I never get too hot in the winter time which is nice. I'm more crazy on a sled than an MX though except when it comes to jumping. It feels more natural on a bike IMO. Snowmobiling is a great sport as long as you are willing to drive where the snow is each year. It keeps me somewhat in shape and gets me out of the house which is a plus.

I never get arm pump on my sled no matter how aggressive I ride. My RM250 is another story I damn near have a death grip on the bars. Dunno why takes me awhile to loosen up on a bike I'm always so stiff.
Boxvan446
3/18/2016 1:56pm
dboivin wrote:
back country, boondock type here.gave up mx because i got old and fat and it hurts to hit the ground anymore. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/03/18/128465/s1200_2016_02_07_11.41.50.jpg[/img]
back country, boondock type here.gave up mx because i got old and fat and it hurts to hit the ground anymore.

Are those the Grand Teton's in the background?
nrosso391
Fantasy
2829th
3/18/2016 2:16pm
As a MN-boy. Snowmobiling is our past time (when there's good snow). I would like to try the Sno-Bike. But I still don't think it would be as fun as a Sled. I feel with the way the track is set up on the bike that it would make you want to lean back all the time with so much weight hanging off the front of the track.

We usually ride out in West Yellowstone (not in the park) and Idaho a lot when we go on trips. Backcountry riding wouldn't be fun without leaning off the side of the sled on those steep mountains. And shifting in deep powder doesn't sound appealing.
gjbruny
3/18/2016 2:16pm Edited Date/Time 3/18/2016 2:27pm
grew up on sleds up here in the mountains. after owning a timbersled on a bike that is a dedicated snowbike i ended up selling the sleds.... i just quit riding the snowmobiles all together. i never thought i would say it but i look forward to snowbike season just as much as i do riding dirt scooters...... they are THAT much fun. while snowbikes don't have as much power, they will go places we never dreamed of taking a sled. the beauty of having a dedicated snowbike is that we have a few months out of the year where you can ride in the mountains one weekend and then head to the track or trails on the dirt scooter the next weekend.

you are always going to have the diehard guys that think sleds are superior to snowbikes and visa versa. in reality its all about what you have more fun on..... but anyone and i mean anyone that thinks they are only good in a foot of powder over a small base has never spent any real time on one and learned to ride them.. there is a big learning curve... actually a small base will get you hurt or at the very least fold your forks backward. deep powder is where its at with these machines.

i never thought i would say that i would lose all interest in snowmobiles... but i have. different strokes for different folks. having said that, if i lived in a state that was flat, i don't think i would enjoy a snowbike as much as i do unless i only rode tracks. mountains are where its at with snowbikes.... and yes.... they will literally go anywhere.
nrosso391
Fantasy
2829th
3/18/2016 2:22pm
Riding the trails up to BIG SKY in Montana would be fun because its over a mile of un-groomed trail that's like a whoop section the whole way.
nrosso391
Fantasy
2829th
3/18/2016 2:24pm
gjbruny wrote:
grew up on sleds up here in the mountains. after owning a timbersled on a bike that is a dedicated snowbike i ended up selling the...
grew up on sleds up here in the mountains. after owning a timbersled on a bike that is a dedicated snowbike i ended up selling the sleds.... i just quit riding the snowmobiles all together. i never thought i would say it but i look forward to snowbike season just as much as i do riding dirt scooters...... they are THAT much fun. while snowbikes don't have as much power, they will go places we never dreamed of taking a sled. the beauty of having a dedicated snowbike is that we have a few months out of the year where you can ride in the mountains one weekend and then head to the track or trails on the dirt scooter the next weekend.

you are always going to have the diehard guys that think sleds are superior to snowbikes and visa versa. in reality its all about what you have more fun on..... but anyone and i mean anyone that thinks they are only good in a foot of powder over a small base has never spent any real time on one and learned to ride them.. there is a big learning curve... actually a small base will get you hurt or at the very least fold your forks backward. deep powder is where its at with these machines.

i never thought i would say that i would lose all interest in snowmobiles... but i have. different strokes for different folks. having said that, if i lived in a state that was flat, i don't think i would enjoy a snowbike as much as i do unless i only rode tracks. mountains are where its at with snowbikes.... and yes.... they will literally go anywhere.
The mountains are where its at in general! I love it out west. If I could move today I would.
motomike137
3/18/2016 2:30pm
kawasa84 wrote:
Ok, this isn't 100% moto, but I want to know how many of you from up north, northeast, and the high country ride snowmobiles in the...
They are similar but not at the same time. Snowmobiles for the most part aren't nearly as physically taxing as moto but they are a helluva lot of fun. You have to adjust your mentality because you can go much much faster and you are riding with two way traffic on the trails. Here's my little 4 cylinder rocketship Smile -

gjbruny
3/18/2016 2:30pm
nrosso391 wrote:
The mountains are where its at in general! I love it out west. If I could move today I would.
the grass is always greener on the other side ;^)..... you guys have pretty great country out there too. i get out your way and all through the midwest yearly bowhunting and fishing. there are a few places in your state i wouldn't mind owning during deer season.
Berm
Fantasy
136th
3/18/2016 2:33pm Edited Date/Time 3/18/2016 2:39pm
https://youtu.be/STO7A-vw49U

Used to race on the ice for something to do in winter, but it gets too intense. Decided to buy new sleds for last winter and playing on sleds is much more fun. My brother and I in video/pic of sleds. My whole family rides sleds too though so it's nice to still be able to go out with the parents.
jasenbougher
3/18/2016 3:33pm
Berm wrote:
https://youtu.be/STO7A-vw49U [URL=http://s76.photobucket.com/user/Ryder25/media/IMG_1217_zps3551498b.jpg.html][IMG]http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j22/Ryder25/IMG_1217_zps3551498b.jpg[/IMG][/URL] Used to race on the ice for something to do in winter, but it gets too intense. Decided to buy new sleds for last...
https://youtu.be/STO7A-vw49U

Used to race on the ice for something to do in winter, but it gets too intense. Decided to buy new sleds for last winter and playing on sleds is much more fun. My brother and I in video/pic of sleds. My whole family rides sleds too though so it's nice to still be able to go out with the parents.

nice i have a couple of 15 xrs's myself and a 12- 1200

Post a reply to: moto and snowmobiling

The Latest