mcgrath

FastEddy
Fantasy
890th
11/13/2010 9:14am Edited Date/Time 11/13/2010 9:15am
mohammed wrote:
What a bullshit move calling out pourcel like that. Its not your business what pourcel tries to negotiate, hes trying to get a deal that he...
What a bullshit move calling out pourcel like that. Its not your business what pourcel tries to negotiate, hes trying to get a deal that he think he deserves, is there something wrong with that? you probably did it all your mx career you hypocrite.. I lost respect for mcgrath. Pourcel well be back in europe where there is more money anyway. I didnt know negotiating was a sin!!!
Yep Dan,thanks for jumping in.

What he doesn't understand is that outdoors Emig,Henry and the other top guys from that era were all close to MC in speed. But when they went indoors MC was that much better,he was a natural.Also for him to discredit alot of the top guys from the MC era only makes him look foolish. Jeremy stepped things.
DanDunes818
11/13/2010 9:22am
mohammed wrote:
What a bullshit move calling out pourcel like that. Its not your business what pourcel tries to negotiate, hes trying to get a deal that he...
What a bullshit move calling out pourcel like that. Its not your business what pourcel tries to negotiate, hes trying to get a deal that he think he deserves, is there something wrong with that? you probably did it all your mx career you hypocrite.. I lost respect for mcgrath. Pourcel well be back in europe where there is more money anyway. I didnt know negotiating was a sin!!!
FastEddy wrote:
Yep Dan,thanks for jumping in. What he doesn't understand is that outdoors Emig,Henry and the other top guys from that era were all close to MC...

What he doesn't understand is that outdoors Emig,Henry and the other top guys from that era were all close to MC in speed. But when they went indoors MC was that much better,he was a natural.Also for him to discredit alot of the top guys from the MC era only makes him look foolish. Jeremy stepped things.
The funny thing is (and proof of MC's skill) is MC at 39 yrs old is still faster than 95% of the world at SX. In Genova tonight he's still out there going faster than guys like Cairoli and setting similar times to KW and Barcia.

Oh yeah I forgot. This moron * also thinks KW sucks to so I guess that proves nothing to this guy.
Xracer
11/13/2010 9:33am
It took RC 3 years to beat MC. KW never did, and KW is still a contender every night. I still have a lot of races on tape from 95-2001 and they're still some of my favorite to watch. MC was precision defined on an SX track and always looked to me like he could go even faster if he needed to. If he were 24 today, he'd still be the top guy. As it is, he's pushing 40 and is still a top-10 guy. Duh. I can't even believe that people argue about this.
broman64
11/13/2010 10:37am
MXMattii wrote:
I think is just something personal ... McGrath is a guy with much influence by Honda ... He probably said to Honda take Pourcel he is...
I think is just something personal ... McGrath is a guy with much influence by Honda ...
He probably said to Honda take Pourcel he is amazing but Pourcel and Honda didn't came to a good deal... Now McGrath is pissed because he didn't got what he wanted and then it is pretty easy to say you aren't a fan.

But it is lame to take a swing to somebody that got 2 Lites Supercross title and that after he was paralyzed. I didn't saw McGrath do that! And if Pourcel stays healthy and doesn't quite to soon like his fellow country men JM Bayle he can beat that lame ass record of MC EASY!
right...
BMan-

The Shop

broman64
11/13/2010 10:46am Edited Date/Time 11/13/2010 10:48am
MXMattii wrote:
I think is just something personal ... McGrath is a guy with much influence by Honda ... He probably said to Honda take Pourcel he is...
I think is just something personal ... McGrath is a guy with much influence by Honda ...
He probably said to Honda take Pourcel he is amazing but Pourcel and Honda didn't came to a good deal... Now McGrath is pissed because he didn't got what he wanted and then it is pretty easy to say you aren't a fan.

But it is lame to take a swing to somebody that got 2 Lites Supercross title and that after he was paralyzed. I didn't saw McGrath do that! And if Pourcel stays healthy and doesn't quite to soon like his fellow country men JM Bayle he can beat that lame ass record of MC EASY!
broman64 wrote:
right...
BMan-
5 pages and my opinion stands... but, i-t i-s m-i-n-e... CP should have bitten, he wont get what he wants, however, he will get a ride... He is really fast, but not always, consistently, fast enough... Maybe he should have to prove that has changed?...

BMan-
broman64
11/13/2010 11:44am Edited Date/Time 11/13/2010 11:53am
Let me see if I can goose this thread along:

Pourcel couldn't carry McGrath's jock strap.

Popcorn!
mccread wrote:
depends on the series.... Pourcel is an incredible talent just like MC.
CP is just another M. Pichon in the U.S. right now... And, they are both French... Furthermore, neither performed at M.Bayle's level in the U.S.... who knows why... M.Pichon went back to Europe before he returned to his winning ways... Maybe CP should do the same, but reverse the order... I think Greg Albertyn and Grant Langston proved themselves worthy first. So did Bayle before them... I'm not forgetting, SebTortelli... All were great talents, not because of where they came from, but who they were, on the inside... Anyone should know better than to think CP is anywhere near MC. it is simple, he hasn't proven it yet... There are many talents that shoulda, woulda, coulda... MC did, and more than once or twice, and in more than one class, and in both, SX and MX... There are many facts and accomplishments that are being ignored or overlooked, in order to make such ridiculous comments and hold such shallow opinions...
The TRUTH shall set you free, unlike OPINION...

BMan-
11/13/2010 5:46pm
FastEddy wrote:
Keep believing your own bullshit then man. Wink
* wrote:
You're new to the sport and only grew up with McGrath. Become a student of the sport and you'll see why you're opinion is nonsense. McGrath...
You're new to the sport and only grew up with McGrath. Become a student of the sport and you'll see why you're opinion is nonsense. McGrath enjoyed a cakewalk to those 72 wins.

All the tough guys had left the stage when McGrath arrived. Had Bayle, Ward, RJ and Stanton (in his prime) been around, McGrath wouldn't have dominated.

MC was at the right place at the right time. Even the era we're in now is trying to come out of a protracted slump of weak talent. With Canard and Pourcel moving up and a healthy Villapoto we might be in for an unusually great season.
So what you are saying is that Mcgrath just got lucky for an entire decade? and that LaRocco, Lusk, Henry ,Emig Kiedroski,Bradshaw and L. Ward were...
So what you are saying is that Mcgrath just got lucky for an entire decade? and that LaRocco, Lusk, Henry ,Emig Kiedroski,Bradshaw and L. Ward were just C riders right? weak talent my ass!!!!! you need to take that tube of airplane model glue that you have been sniff'in and shove it you mouth and glue it shut!
Nice straw man but if you knew anything about the era, you'd know that McGrath never raced against Bayle, Ward, Kiedroski (sic), or Bradshaw. They were all done when he arrived. And Stanton was on his way out. The others, Henry and LaRocco, were not supercross riders but better outdoors. Larry Ward was good but not a superstar.

So the only competition McGrath had was Emig.
Prince1
11/13/2010 5:59pm
FastEddy wrote:
Yep Dan,thanks for jumping in. What he doesn't understand is that outdoors Emig,Henry and the other top guys from that era were all close to MC...

Umm Jeremy was faster indoors, But outdoors Emig had nearly double the wins and 3 titles to his 1, So yeah SX MC was the best MX, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
FastEddy
Fantasy
890th
11/13/2010 6:03pm Edited Date/Time 11/13/2010 6:10pm
FastEddy wrote:

Prince1 wrote:
Umm Jeremy was faster indoors, But outdoors Emig had nearly double the wins and 3 titles to his 1, So yeah SX MC was the best...
Umm Jeremy was faster indoors, But outdoors Emig had nearly double the wins and 3 titles to his 1, So yeah SX MC was the best MX, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
I seen some battles with MC outdoors back in that era,he was very fast when he wanted to be.
IMO: There were a handful of guys that could have won on given day in that era, outdoors.
But when it came to SX Jeremy was that much better,he stepped things up.
Trent179
11/13/2010 6:04pm
mohammed wrote:
lil biased are we? You French Fuck.
disbanded
Fantasy
1734th
11/13/2010 6:15pm
* wrote:
Nice straw man but if you knew anything about the era, you'd know that McGrath never raced against Bayle, Ward, Kiedroski (sic), or Bradshaw. They were...
Nice straw man but if you knew anything about the era, you'd know that McGrath never raced against Bayle, Ward, Kiedroski (sic), or Bradshaw. They were all done when he arrived. And Stanton was on his way out. The others, Henry and LaRocco, were not supercross riders but better outdoors. Larry Ward was good but not a superstar.

So the only competition McGrath had was Emig.
Shows how much you know. Bradshaw didn't retire until after the 1994 season - 2 seasons after McGrath came and won the 250 class. He even made a comeback in 1996 and raced McGrath a bunch more times. And Kiedrowsli didn't retire until the mid nineties, 1995 I think, so he also raced MC plenty of times too.

McGrath will always be the king of supercross - at least until somebody can conquer 72 wins, and I don't see that happening anytime soon.
ElkinHammer
11/13/2010 6:26pm
If you knew anything about the era... you would know that he did indeed race against Bayle, Kiedrowski, and Bradshaw.... In 92 Mcgrath raced the east coast rounds of the series on a 250 yes thats right a 250 when he was a west coast champ in the 125's right up against Stanton who you say was washed up ( Stanton was the champ in 92) and also Bayle was in there he had not quit yet so your wrong there... now as for Bradshaw he did not quit the first time till the end of 93 (MC's first championship year) so you are dead wrong about that so HE DID RACE HIM... AND KIEDROWSKI! so you wrong Again!!!! Now for Larry Ward... poor guy was so bad at supercross that he finished 2nd in the point standins in 1994 as a privateer... but you right not a good superstar
FastEddy
Fantasy
890th
11/13/2010 6:52pm Edited Date/Time 11/13/2010 6:53pm
And if you want proof TKL here you go
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHd5NWLCWqQ
Awesome link!
Thanks for posting that!

I think '*' memory is a bit foggy.

I will give him one thing though....
When it came to SX,after MC's first year of winning on the 250.
MC had most of the guys beaten mentally at SX before he even lined up.
ElkinHammer
11/13/2010 6:57pm
FastEddy wrote:
Awesome link! Thanks for posting that! I think '*' memory is a bit foggy. I will give him one thing though.... When it came to SX,after...
Awesome link!
Thanks for posting that!

I think '*' memory is a bit foggy.

I will give him one thing though....
When it came to SX,after MC's first year of winning on the 250.
MC had most of the guys beaten mentally at SX before he even lined up.
I think you and I were on the same page... thanks for chiming in... oh and your welcome
FastEddy
Fantasy
890th
11/13/2010 6:59pm Edited Date/Time 11/13/2010 7:04pm
Also that Cooper jump/pass was great. Smile

I can remember at Seattle SX 1991,Cooper did a quad that was absolutely huge (no one else did it).You could just hear the bike bottom out like a few feet before a left corner.
It was something out of the ordinary ,that guys like Pastrana or Stewart,RC etc..wouldn't even touch in their day/these days.
jeffro503
11/13/2010 7:06pm
I think anyone that denies the greatness MC displayed in this sport from 1993 - 2001.....is an idiot! And that is not even counting the complete smack down he laid on the guys previously in the 125cc class.

Bottom line.....you can't help when you are born........so you race who is there. It is completely stupid to compare riders from today , to riders 10 , 20 or even 30 years ago!

YOUR RECORDS tell the entire story!! That is what EVERYONE goes by!

CP is a great rider.......but Jesus Christ....give me a break! He could not hold MC's jock strap!

I also do not see ANYONE beating that SX record in our life time. And that goes for RC's TWO undefeated outdoor titles! In fact RC just about had 3 undeated out door series.......didn't he miss another perfect season by what??.......2 motos?

disbanded
Fantasy
1734th
11/13/2010 7:19pm
McGrath changed the face of supercross and made it what it is today. As much as I like Pourcel, he's got a very long way to go before he can be compared to a 7 time champion.

But one place that McGrath will never win is on these forums. Even if MC gave a pussy answer like 99 percent of he other guys in the sport would have - people would be giving him shit on here for not telling it like it is. I applaud McGrath for his honesty. I wish there were more like him. He earned his place at the top of the moto world.
FastEddy
Fantasy
890th
11/13/2010 7:22pm
I think you and I were on the same page... thanks for chiming in... oh and your welcome
Definitely on the same page!
MX4EVR
11/13/2010 8:27pm Edited Date/Time 11/13/2010 8:34pm
McGrath is king and was king. He's some inside info, not from me (I'm a nobody) but straight From Tom Walton (factory connection) " Jeramy won for two reasons. He was the first one to ever treat this as a job and he was the first one to ever really develop a real training program and took it seriously."
`ol Ger
11/13/2010 9:00pm
* wrote:
McGrath, other than Emig, did not have much competition during his time. Although, he was good at stupidcross...I mean supercross. He was in a certain era...
McGrath, other than Emig, did not have much competition during his time. Although, he was good at stupidcross...I mean supercross. He was in a certain era that permitted him to win as many races as he did. The big boys had left the party when McGrath arrived. Jean Michelle Bale and Stanton (in his prime - not 1993) would have beat McGrath easily - particularly outdoors.

Christophe Pourcel is more talented than McGrath. He has also won more major outdoor races than McGrath ever did. Don't forget Pourcel is a World Champion.

One other observation:

1. Motocrossers are the dumbest people I think I've ever met.
Dear Ludicrous:

McGrath's competition >

Ezra Lusk (in his prime)
Mikael Pichon
Kevin Windham (prime)
David Vuillemin (prime)
Larry Ward
Doug Henry
Tim Ferry
Damon Huffman
Mike Larocco (prime)
Jeff Emig (prime)
Brian Swink
Jimmy Button (prime)
World Champions Greg Albertyn, and Sebastien Tortelli
Damon Bradshaw (during comeback)

And many others I may have forgotten......
jeffro503
11/13/2010 10:04pm Edited Date/Time 11/13/2010 11:09pm
* wrote:
McGrath, other than Emig, did not have much competition during his time. Although, he was good at stupidcross...I mean supercross. He was in a certain era...
McGrath, other than Emig, did not have much competition during his time. Although, he was good at stupidcross...I mean supercross. He was in a certain era that permitted him to win as many races as he did. The big boys had left the party when McGrath arrived. Jean Michelle Bale and Stanton (in his prime - not 1993) would have beat McGrath easily - particularly outdoors.

Christophe Pourcel is more talented than McGrath. He has also won more major outdoor races than McGrath ever did. Don't forget Pourcel is a World Champion.

One other observation:

1. Motocrossers are the dumbest people I think I've ever met.
`ol Ger wrote:
Dear Ludicrous: McGrath's competition > Ezra Lusk (in his prime) Mikael Pichon Kevin Windham (prime) David Vuillemin (prime) Larry Ward Doug Henry Tim Ferry Damon Huffman...
Dear Ludicrous:

McGrath's competition >

Ezra Lusk (in his prime)
Mikael Pichon
Kevin Windham (prime)
David Vuillemin (prime)
Larry Ward
Doug Henry
Tim Ferry
Damon Huffman
Mike Larocco (prime)
Jeff Emig (prime)
Brian Swink
Jimmy Button (prime)

Yep....you are correct Ger. Funny how someone with the user name of " * " comes in here and tries to tell people shit like that. It's also funny how someone with the user name of " * " is scared to post his real name....afraid of people hacking into his personal life??? Hmmmm??.......I wonder if Davey Coombs has any problems like that???.....or the many others that post on this board that everyone seems to know?

I have said it a hundred times.....if you aint got the balls to put up your real name.....go pick up bad mitten.....leave the MX to the real men.
MXant15
Fantasy
802nd
11/13/2010 10:11pm Edited Date/Time 11/13/2010 10:13pm
`ol Ger wrote:
Dear Ludicrous: McGrath's competition > Ezra Lusk (in his prime) Mikael Pichon Kevin Windham (prime) David Vuillemin (prime) Larry Ward Doug Henry Tim Ferry Damon Huffman...
Dear Ludicrous:

McGrath's competition >

Ezra Lusk (in his prime)
Mikael Pichon
Kevin Windham (prime)
David Vuillemin (prime)
Larry Ward
Doug Henry
Tim Ferry
Damon Huffman
Mike Larocco (prime)
Jeff Emig (prime)
Brian Swink
Jimmy Button (prime)

You forgot one small name.... THE GOAT ('99 and 2000)

John Dowd
Ryno
Lamson
Xracer
11/14/2010 5:07am
What's amazing about that Youtube vide is to see how the pace changed between 93 and 2002 when you click on the Pontiac 2002 link on the same page. I'll credit that one to RC...
Sparkalounger
11/14/2010 5:58am
Xracer wrote:
What's amazing about that Youtube vide is to see how the pace changed between 93 and 2002 when you click on the Pontiac 2002 link on...
What's amazing about that Youtube vide is to see how the pace changed between 93 and 2002 when you click on the Pontiac 2002 link on the same page. I'll credit that one to RC...
tracks change, pace does not... that's why MC can still run up front.

See DanDunes post above on this page:
"The funny thing is (and proof of MC's skill) is MC at 39 yrs old is still faster than 95% of the world at SX. In Genova tonight he's still out there going faster than guys like Cairoli and setting similar times to KW and Barcia."

One track can make the pace look a lot faster than another.
ElkinHammer
11/14/2010 6:20am
Class dismissed TKL... I will be accepting your apology now!
RACERX69
11/14/2010 6:55am
What somone alluded to earlier.....It's not that MC had no competition, he was just that damn good. He simply marginalized everyone from his era and many before him.

Anyone that questions MC speed and dominance is simply ignorant. His accomplishments and contributions to the sport are un-quantifiable.

At this point, Pourcel doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as Jeremy McGrath!!!!

RaceFace
11/14/2010 7:27am
MX4EVR wrote:
McGrath is king and was king. He's some inside info, not from me (I'm a nobody) but straight From Tom Walton (factory connection) " Jeramy won...
McGrath is king and was king. He's some inside info, not from me (I'm a nobody) but straight From Tom Walton (factory connection) " Jeramy won for two reasons. He was the first one to ever treat this as a job and he was the first one to ever really develop a real training program and took it seriously."
I respectfully have to disagree with both of those reasons, completely. The biggest reason MC won so much in SX was because he was a natural at it. He didn't have to work all that hard to be good, but he did work hard and became exceptional.

He did not train anywhere NEAR what some before him did though. Hannah, RJ, Ward, Bailey, O'Mara, Stanton, Barnett...these guys all trained like animals and they absolutely treated their career as a job. That statement that no one did before MC is actually quite insulting to most of the sports legends. MC decided to really train for a few years (1995-1996) and you could see it in his physique and his outdoor results, but for his career he was not all that big on the training aspect. I think that is a big reason why he wanted to go SX only as he could still win without the insane training program. That takes nothing away from his status as King of SX.
pilotdude
11/14/2010 8:05am Edited Date/Time 11/14/2010 8:06am
Number of big bike Supercross wins:

McGrath: 72
Pourcel: 0

Number of Supercross big bike championships:

McGrath: 7 (one clutch short of 8)

Number of big bike National wins:

McGrath: 15

Number of big bike National championships:

McGrath: 1

Number of Motocross des Nation team championships:

McGrath: 2

There is one number that is a constant througout this comparison, that number being 0, the number of Pourcel's big bike accomplishments.

McGrath has been a champion or significant factor in the sport of motocross/supercross since 1991, when Pourcel was 3 years old, and remains one today as an adviser and tester for Team Honda. He is probably the single most qualified individual in ENTIRE sport to comment on individual riders today, ESPECIALLY regarding Supercross.

To compare Pourcel to McGrath at this point in Pourcel's career is an insult to the best Supercross rider of all time and does a disservice to Pourcel and his fans.

I rest my case and ask that your honor be lenient during sentencing, as national pride can be a strong factor where making foolish and ridiculous statements are concerned.
jamma10
11/14/2010 8:48am
pilotdude wrote:
Number of big bike Supercross wins: McGrath: 72 Pourcel: 0 Number of Supercross big bike championships: McGrath: 7 (one clutch short of 8) Pourcel: 0 Number...
Number of big bike Supercross wins:

McGrath: 72

Number of Supercross big bike championships:

McGrath: 7 (one clutch short of 8)

Number of big bike National wins:

McGrath: 15

Number of big bike National championships:

McGrath: 1

Number of Motocross des Nation team championships:

McGrath: 2

There is one number that is a constant througout this comparison, that number being 0, the number of Pourcel's big bike accomplishments.

McGrath has been a champion or significant factor in the sport of motocross/supercross since 1991, when Pourcel was 3 years old, and remains one today as an adviser and tester for Team Honda. He is probably the single most qualified individual in ENTIRE sport to comment on individual riders today, ESPECIALLY regarding Supercross.

To compare Pourcel to McGrath at this point in Pourcel's career is an insult to the best Supercross rider of all time and does a disservice to Pourcel and his fans.

I rest my case and ask that your honor be lenient during sentencing, as national pride can be a strong factor where making foolish and ridiculous statements are concerned.

Possibly because Pourcel hasn't entered a top flight 'big bike' race yet? Dry
You may as well compare McGrath to Oprah Winfrey in that respect.

Some of you guys sure get your knicker in a twist. As it stands Pourcel's accomplishments are arguably equal to or (heaven forbid) superior than McGrath's at a similar age. But you're right, McGrath is a legend of the sport and Pourcel has a long way to go before he can be measured against his accomplishments. Im sure even MxMatti et al would agree with that.

Post a reply to: mcgrath

The Latest