lower body workouts

iamdustin
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 10:14am
I've been trying to go to the gym as much as possible as well as study videos to work on technique so when I get back on my bike in may the only thing holding me back is my seat time. Does anyone have any recommendation's for leg workouts? I usually do squats, deadlifts, leg press, lunges, leg extensions and curls. But what are more motocross directed workouts that help with squeezing the bike with your knees and thing like that? Also if anyone has any good videos that show good technique (just riding doesn't have to be instructional) that would be great!
Thanks for the help!
Dustin
|
WillyB
1/12/2012 7:46pm
calve raises or any kind of calve work out. Lots of squats though, light weight high reps 4-5 sets.
MtnBoy
1/12/2012 7:50pm
Lunges, box jumps, wall sits
1/12/2012 7:56pm
MtnBoy wrote:
Lunges, box jumps, wall sits
This PLUS unweighted squats. Set a routine of a BUNCH a day and you'll be set.

The Shop

kopfjaeger
1/12/2012 8:03pm
The flying freckle says that Olympic lifts are the best...... Snatches, power cleans, hang cleans.... I have found cross fit gets your body and mind ready for just about any activity...
bullpen58
1/12/2012 9:28pm
Riding is the best thing for getting fit for riding. Just my opinion.

But I would avoid heavy lifts like above. I'd recommend higher reps with lighter weight. Trust me, I'm a fat ass.
josh8811
1/12/2012 9:29pm Edited Date/Time 1/12/2012 10:12pm
I'd make out with her..
ga_pike
1/13/2012 5:14am
You may laugh, but growing up, I played ice hockey in addition to racing MX. Skating and rollerblading really build your legs (and endurance).

Also, if you're too cool to rollerblade... try one of these:

It simulates a skating motion. Builds lateral strength (leg grip) and endurance. They are often called "slide boards" and you don't need to buy a $400 version. They make inexpensive ones that work just as well.
TuffENuff
1/13/2012 8:14am
Iamdustin

For lower body, focus on movements that incorporate the whole body so that core stabilization can also be trained. Squats, deads, and lunges are perfect, like you mentioned. Competitive racers with seasonal race schedules normally go heavier with less reps in the offseason for more strength and go with much lighter weight / higher reps during in season for more endurance.

A great exercise for working the adductor muscles used in squeezing the bike is sitting on a stability ball on your knees. Balancing on the ball will require you to squeeze your knees into the ball. Also, great for core stabilization since the squeezing of the knees will activate your core.
bullpen58
1/13/2012 8:22am
TuffENuff wrote:
Iamdustin For lower body, focus on movements that incorporate the whole body so that core stabilization can also be trained. Squats, deads, and lunges are perfect...
Iamdustin

For lower body, focus on movements that incorporate the whole body so that core stabilization can also be trained. Squats, deads, and lunges are perfect, like you mentioned. Competitive racers with seasonal race schedules normally go heavier with less reps in the offseason for more strength and go with much lighter weight / higher reps during in season for more endurance.

A great exercise for working the adductor muscles used in squeezing the bike is sitting on a stability ball on your knees. Balancing on the ball will require you to squeeze your knees into the ball. Also, great for core stabilization since the squeezing of the knees will activate your core.
Good post, but isn't the "off season" like 2 weeks long?
WillyB
1/13/2012 8:24am Edited Date/Time 1/13/2012 8:31am
ga_pike wrote:
You may laugh, but growing up, I played ice hockey in addition to racing MX. Skating and rollerblading really build your legs (and endurance). Also, if...
You may laugh, but growing up, I played ice hockey in addition to racing MX. Skating and rollerblading really build your legs (and endurance).

Also, if you're too cool to rollerblade... try one of these:

It simulates a skating motion. Builds lateral strength (leg grip) and endurance. They are often called "slide boards" and you don't need to buy a $400 version. They make inexpensive ones that work just as well.
this is no joke. I use to play roller and ice hockey growing up. I just recently started rollerblading with my girl friend for a fun outdoor activity/exercise. I can't believe how much it's helped my riding in the lower leg department. However, I probably wouldn't be blading if I didn't have a hot ass girl right by my side!! lol

When it comes to lifting, I think the basics are all you need in motocross. Squats, bench, cleans, dead lift. Higher reps with lighter weight is great for endurance but I usually do two weeks light and one week heavy to give the muscles a nice shock. Core work outs are very important for riding as well as being flexible and nimble (stretching aka YOGA!!!)
1/13/2012 8:51am
I would scrap leg extension as well as leg curls, you legs never function that way, a waste of time and recovery. I would add stiff leg deadlifts on a box for hamstrings to avoid a muscle imbalance, and for back strength. Another good core exercise would be overhead squats.
IWreckALot
1/13/2012 9:37am
I've recently gotten into Mountain biking. I've noticed it helps with not only lower body endurance but it helps with riding all around. I had a hard time getting motivated to go to the gym. I wanted something that was fun so I would look forward to doing it. Going to the gym isn't "fun" to me.
moto288
1/14/2012 5:52am
Snowboard all winter then your lower body will be in good shape for the upcoming mx season.
mx317
1/14/2012 6:08am
IWreckALot wrote:
I've recently gotten into Mountain biking. I've noticed it helps with not only lower body endurance but it helps with riding all around. I had a...
I've recently gotten into Mountain biking. I've noticed it helps with not only lower body endurance but it helps with riding all around. I had a hard time getting motivated to go to the gym. I wanted something that was fun so I would look forward to doing it. Going to the gym isn't "fun" to me.
Yep, pushing on those pedals is like pushing yourself into a standing position on an mx bike. I know a lot of current pros bicycle.
1/14/2012 8:13am
i race DH and ride a lot of gnarly enduro type XC, it complements MOTO so much due to leg work required, I use Moto to train for my DH, as do most fast DH racers - go figure - they work hand in hand. especially for core and legs.

gyms are great but lets be honest, how much bulk dya need? im 210lb so can throw anythying i like about but probably too heavy, but being smaller doesnt fit my shape, most quick kids are like what 150/160 maximum

Post a reply to: lower body workouts

The Latest