is this a joke or what?

BobbyM
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 6:50am
Team Suzuki's Matt Moss came to REM this weekend at Glen Helen to log some saddle time during the AMA National Motocross series' two-week break. There was no doubt that Moss was the fastest rider on the track, but the 450 Pro winner had to spend 20 minutes in the first moto running down 450 Intermediate winner Justin Jones.

this kid JJ is an amateur? damn,..i feel sorry for the other kids that are REALLY amateurs.

this in a nutshell is what is wrong with amateur racing imho. i know DC runs a tight ship at LL and the races leading up to the big dance but the cheating/attempted must run rampant during the year.

i can't imagine not going as fast as i fucking could and trying to win every race i entered, going local pro and as soon as the age allowed it going AMA pro. after all...THAT is the big dance...isn't it?

wtf?
|
newmann
8/4/2010 8:18pm
Didn't they used to have a class called "expert"?
Rooster
8/4/2010 8:29pm
BobbyM wrote:
Team Suzuki's Matt Moss came to REM this weekend at Glen Helen to log some saddle time during the AMA National Motocross series' two-week break. There...
Team Suzuki's Matt Moss came to REM this weekend at Glen Helen to log some saddle time during the AMA National Motocross series' two-week break. There was no doubt that Moss was the fastest rider on the track, but the 450 Pro winner had to spend 20 minutes in the first moto running down 450 Intermediate winner Justin Jones.

this kid JJ is an amateur? damn,..i feel sorry for the other kids that are REALLY amateurs.

this in a nutshell is what is wrong with amateur racing imho. i know DC runs a tight ship at LL and the races leading up to the big dance but the cheating/attempted must run rampant during the year.

i can't imagine not going as fast as i fucking could and trying to win every race i entered, going local pro and as soon as the age allowed it going AMA pro. after all...THAT is the big dance...isn't it?

wtf?
There's more money at the top of the amateur ranks than the bottom of the pros.
500guy
8/4/2010 8:29pm
I think a closer look would find Moss nursing an injury and not at top speed.

Alessi used to wax almost everyone in these type races too.

Let em line up at a National or a Supercross and the story will be told.
crewshin
8/4/2010 8:38pm
Well, there are a lot of variable in the story you just told. But ignoring all that... I've been saying this for a while now. The classes are all fubar from the big races like LL, whitney, oak hill, etc. Every single kid sand bags to get better results at the big races and it just hurts things as a whole in the long run.

It's a little harder to spot a sand bagger when every freaking kid does it. As opposed to one kid that's destroying a class.

What people like DC (and more importantly track owners) need to do is start bumping TONS of kids up a class. Think about it people. Look at the class as a whole and ask yourself... are these dudes B level? Nope, they are probably not. Bump them.

Though, it really comes down to the sanctioning bodies to do this... and that means you are primarily going to deal with the AMA. I personally don't have the energy to take on that worthless battle.

I'm getting tired just thinking about fighting the good fight any longer

The Shop

8/4/2010 8:46pm
That's one of the Jones Boys and I would think Gary Jones isn't a cheater or sandbagger or allow it. Also you have to remember they do things a bit different in So Cal and not sure how REM moves riders up but I know they did.
jeffro503
8/4/2010 8:51pm
So Justin is one of Gary's boys? I didn't know his kids were that fast.....haven't heard of him until now.
8/4/2010 8:58pm
BobbyM didn't post the full story from MXA either, here is a little more:
There was no doubt that Moss was the fastest rider on the track, but the 450 Pro winner had to spend 20 minutes in the first moto running down 450 Intermediate winner Justin Jones. With all the Pro classes (250, 450 and Over-40 combined with the 250 and 450 Intermediate classes), it was assumed that Moss would pull the trigger on the start and take off. It was not to be. Over-40 Pro Willy Musgrave holeshot the combined Pro/Intermediate start. Musgrave was quickly passed by Justin Jones, son of four-time 250 National Champion Gary Jones. Justin put the hammer down and opened a big lead while Moss had trouble with Musgrave, Chris Hay and Ryan Cowell. By the time Moss worked his way into second place, Jones had a ten-second lead. Moss put his head down and thanks to REM's long 20-minute plus one lap Pro motos began to nibble into the teenager's lead. By the checkered flag Moss had passed Jones for the win, but the two riders did stop to congratulate each other. Moss got the workout that he came to REM for, and Jones got a chance to lead against a factory Suzuki rider.
MXR
8/4/2010 9:00pm
Justin Jones is a badass on a quad too
I just vomited .
newmann
8/4/2010 9:13pm
I let one of the Jones kids ride my YZ250F at a race at Rio back in 2004. He had just gotten through with one of those 24 hour races out there before heading to Texas with his dad for our Vintage Pro-Am race. The kid had blisters on top of blisters, his hands looked like pepperoni pizza. He had no problems rubbing elbows.....and plastic.....and swingarms! Good kids, great riders. Gary is as cool as they come.
BobbyM
8/4/2010 9:14pm
BobbyM wrote:
Team Suzuki's Matt Moss came to REM this weekend at Glen Helen to log some saddle time during the AMA National Motocross series' two-week break. There...

wtf?
Rooster wrote:
There's more money at the top of the amateur ranks than the bottom of the pros.
but that is wrong
worcsracer808
8/4/2010 10:03pm
gt80rider wrote:
are you calling him a homosexual or what??
sayin he races pro-am on the quad in worcs and gets podiums in the 2 hour pro races
leeroy
8/4/2010 10:05pm
i think mossy went down on the start or somewhere on the first lap.
8/4/2010 10:21pm Edited Date/Time 8/4/2010 10:22pm
I race REM all the time, and Jones isn't a cherrypicker at all. I seriously doubt he could even run top 5 in the B class at Loretta's. Moss either (A) had some big problems, or (Cool just couldn't come to terms with the track. I've seen local nobodies beat national superstars at REM many times in the past. It's a very difficult track to learn, and the locals really haul butt there. Wil Hahn getting smoked there this past April by brand new pro Michael Leib is a good example. I know this because I rode the thirty minute motos with the pros, and Leib lapped me...twice! Smile
Cody24
Fantasy
2695th
8/4/2010 10:37pm
gt80rider wrote:
sayin he races pro-am on the quad in worcs and gets podiums in the 2 hour pro races
Pretty sure he's a test rider for a bike magazine. Dirt bike I believe...
worcsracer808
8/4/2010 11:12pm Edited Date/Time 8/4/2010 11:12pm
gt80rider wrote:
Cody24 wrote:
Pretty sure he's a test rider for a bike magazine. Dirt bike I believe...
yeah and the quad magazine too, he races both
txmxer
8/5/2010 5:36am
I'm trying to figure out all this stuff with sand bagging.

I know it goes on, but, where do you stop bumping people up? Do there need to be some faster classes than B that are full on amateur? Super B? Bumble B? Spelling B?

I guess the idea is that you move up as fast as you can? If you run near the front in C, you jump into B to run at the back of the pack? From what some talk about, nobody run A because that's an "expert/pro" class? The end of amateur status?

BobbyM
8/5/2010 7:08am
you guys don't see my point and that's cool...was just wondering where the 2nd place intermediate finished.
BobbyM
8/5/2010 7:15am
txmxer wrote:
I'm trying to figure out all this stuff with sand bagging. I know it goes on, but, where do you stop bumping people up? Do there...
I'm trying to figure out all this stuff with sand bagging.

I know it goes on, but, where do you stop bumping people up? Do there need to be some faster classes than B that are full on amateur? Super B? Bumble B? Spelling B?

I guess the idea is that you move up as fast as you can? If you run near the front in C, you jump into B to run at the back of the pack? From what some talk about, nobody run A because that's an "expert/pro" class? The end of amateur status?

if you dominate a race series you need to advance imho. but who cares really...i have a few friends that wold rather win a plastic trophy than get better as a rider or even worse yet face the humiliation of a 2nd or 3rd place finish.

hey...if that's yer game more power to you. in some cases it's not the riders fault i suppose, i mean when there's more incentives to race am than pro you go or in this case stay where the money is. oh...but wait...it ISN'T AMATEUR racing anymore then is it?
8/5/2010 7:16am
Dungey was Plucked from the B Class, he was jumping The Leap at Red Bud in the B Class. The fastest lap times at LL last year came from the B class LOLOL

Is B class the new A Class ?
danman
8/5/2010 8:02am
As far as I'm concerned, keep bumping riders until the gates are closer to full in all the classes. In D16, the A classes are pretty skinny at quite a few tracks.
peelout719
8/5/2010 8:31am
BobbyM wrote:
you guys don't see my point and that's cool...was just wondering where the 2nd place intermediate finished.
utah has never had a huge or strong moto scene, but always had some fast riders. back in the day i used to start in the intermediate class about 10 seconds behind the pro's and i would always finish either 1st or 2nd in the pro class. then they bumped me up to the pro class and i had troubles winning.

the first couple times i tried qualifying for lorreta's i got smoked so bad it was embarrassing that i was in the same class as them. but after a couple more tries i was running right with Bess, Shimp, Morais and all the big name Cali guys.

i guess the moral of my story is that southern cali does things differently. the C riders down there are close to the pace of A riders in other 'less advanced moto states'
knobby101
8/5/2010 8:49am
Anyone that uses the word "QUAD" on rthis website should be banned for a fucking month.. oh, see, I'm gone, see you in september!
Torco1
8/5/2010 9:08am
BobbyM wrote:
peelout719 wrote:
utah has never had a huge or strong moto scene, but always had some fast riders. back in the day i used to start in the...
utah has never had a huge or strong moto scene, but always had some fast riders. back in the day i used to start in the intermediate class about 10 seconds behind the pro's and i would always finish either 1st or 2nd in the pro class. then they bumped me up to the pro class and i had troubles winning.

the first couple times i tried qualifying for lorreta's i got smoked so bad it was embarrassing that i was in the same class as them. but after a couple more tries i was running right with Bess, Shimp, Morais and all the big name Cali guys.

i guess the moral of my story is that southern cali does things differently. the C riders down there are close to the pace of A riders in other 'less advanced moto states'
The racing here in SoCal is pretty ridiculous, I really dont think there is a such thing as a true beginners class. I was out at Milestone a few weeks ago and they were having races going on, when I watched the "beginners" race most of the guys were scrubbin jumps and making all the triples. To me thats not a beginner.
pie8man
8/5/2010 9:10am
Peely hit part of it. The difference in speed from state to state and class to class is drastically different. The vet C and B classes here in Colorado are like Beginner and Novice in Cali. I left Cali with a GH Vet championship C class 1-1-1-1 and did not race again for several years. Rode one Vet C and regular C class race here in CO and moved up. I can simply show up and finish well in the Vet B class here. I had to train and ride my butt off to win in the C class in Cali.
I like to look at the classes from the top down instead of the bottom up. Someone that qualifies consistently in the Nationals or SX are hands down faster for longer than your local A class or local pro or whatever you want to call it. Many times the fastest B riders are fast enough to beat some of the A boys in a 7 lap sprint but take it to a 20 minute moto and see what happens, if you never have plans to race professionally and there are people in your class that make a race for you I'd stay in that class. Sandbagging is rampant in all forms of amateur racing and it seems that LL and the other "big" amateur events is pretty bad in the B class especially but if you plan to make a go at racing professionally unless you are Dungey a B class win is just another race on your way up. If you think teams hire people solely from their LL resume' the point is being missed.
Bill163
8/5/2010 10:03am Edited Date/Time 8/5/2010 10:03am
526 wrote:
Dungey was Plucked from the B Class, he was jumping The Leap at Red Bud in the B Class. The fastest lap times at LL last...
Dungey was Plucked from the B Class, he was jumping The Leap at Red Bud in the B Class. The fastest lap times at LL last year came from the B class LOLOL

Is B class the new A Class ?
The B class has been the new A class for a while.Dungey being plucked from the B class is not the big deal that everybody talks about.Also the age cut offs has been screwed up for a while leading to phony birth certificates.

Old Mate
8/6/2010 12:12am
BobbyM wrote:

wtf?
Whats your point Bobby?Matt Moss got a bad start then crashed then went on to win race 1 by 20 secs then won race 2 with a sick bike, sounds like a good practice run against a few desent riders.
8/6/2010 1:08am
BobbyM wrote:

wtf?
Old Mate wrote:
Whats your point Bobby?Matt Moss got a bad start then crashed then went on to win race 1 by 20 secs then won race 2 with...
Whats your point Bobby?Matt Moss got a bad start then crashed then went on to win race 1 by 20 secs then won race 2 with a sick bike, sounds like a good practice run against a few desent riders.
G'day Old Mate, haven't seen you here in a while. I can't speak for BobbyM, but I really don't think he was having a go at Matt in the point he was trying to make. People have seen enough of Matt to know how quick he really is.

Post a reply to: is this a joke or what?

The Latest