is buying a new wheel set really worth the money?

SKIDLID
Fantasy
805th
7/3/2017 5:54am
I also have a spare set, this way I have no excuse to not practice. One set is used for racing and one for practice. The practice track I ride the most can have very hard dirt at times and trash a good tire quick.
philG
7/3/2017 8:01am
Spare rear for MX so you can throw it in when the track turns to concrete in the afternoon. Plus its great if you catch a flat and CBA to skin knuckles.

We have 3 rears for the SM bike , 1 carbon matrix with a slick on , 1 with a new wet , and one with a worn wet in case its just damp .. at $170 a pop, you don't need to save many rear tyres to justify the cost ... a new wet on a drying track will do 10 laps tops.
7/3/2017 8:08am
I have a spare set of OEM wheels for sand tires, and use intermediate tires on the stock wheels.

Regarding the RMZ having larger axles, custom wheel spacers with a sleeve that slide inside the bearings can be made to fit on the RM. That way you have wheels that will fit on more bikes, so easier to sell afterwards.

The Shop

TeamGreen
7/3/2017 8:13am
ABSOLUTELY

Two wheel-sets means flat-tires are fixed RIGHT NOW. Tire size options on race day are easier to pull off...

Etc.
skypig
7/3/2017 8:20am
philG wrote:
Spare rear for MX so you can throw it in when the track turns to concrete in the afternoon. Plus its great if you catch a...
Spare rear for MX so you can throw it in when the track turns to concrete in the afternoon. Plus its great if you catch a flat and CBA to skin knuckles.

We have 3 rears for the SM bike , 1 carbon matrix with a slick on , 1 with a new wet , and one with a worn wet in case its just damp .. at $170 a pop, you don't need to save many rear tyres to justify the cost ... a new wet on a drying track will do 10 laps tops.
I love wheels.
It's a big part of my over compensation for being old, fat and slow, and not being able to afford anything like that when I was younger and capable of winning.

I have four fronts and three rears for my Supermoto- slicks/intermediates/wets (and now a 16.5" front as well)

Three sets for my MX bike (genuine Yamaha wheels) I usually keep a used set of tires for practice etc. My sharpest set for the actual races. Either sand tires or hard terrain tires mounted on the third set depending on the venue.

Swapping wheels after practice, and sometimes between races. I'm still slow. But I enjoy it.

OCD. The curse that keeps on costing.
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
7/3/2017 9:12am
TeamGreen wrote:
ABSOLUTELY

Two wheel-sets means flat-tires are fixed RIGHT NOW. Tire size options on race day are easier to pull off...

Etc.
Ya this. Plus, I like having a blacked out set and a set with orange flair Laughing
jeffro503
7/3/2017 9:16am
I like having a spare set just for the flats if I get one , but also nice to have two different compounds. This time of year , INT and hard. During the fall and winter , INT and soft.

Also....nice to have a spare counter shaft sprocket and chain that matches the rear sprocket. Definitely don't want to mix and match , different wear.....asking for trouble.

Post a reply to: is buying a new wheel set really worth the money?

The Latest