is buying a new wheel set really worth the money?

zac_k3
Edited Date/Time 7/3/2017 8:01am
so I've been building a rm125 for quite some time now and I'm finally at the point to where i wanted to be at when I was going to order a wheel set for the bike and I'm just wondering if you guys think they're really worth it or just keep running stockers.
|
newmann
7/2/2017 1:19pm
Worth it? Depends on what you are looking for. From a standpoint of getting you from point A to point B, probably not. Bling and good looks? Of course they are!Smile

Options? have TCR Wheel machine the stock hubs for that works look.
gsxr6
7/2/2017 1:26pm
Better get some while u still can for older bikes if u intend to keep it long term. Parts beginning to disappear for early milennium bikes.....
mxb2
7/2/2017 2:39pm
Needs and wants, 2 different things If ya want them and have the $$, go for it.

The Shop

7/2/2017 3:02pm
I would say no, if you're going excel takasago wheel set. The Talon hubs were top notch but my third ride on the fresh wheels resulted in casing an uphill triple. The front rim was taco'd badly and had to be replaced. After spending $1400 on set only to drop another $200 plus made me question my purchase. Perhaps any wheel would have folded but I think DID STX and Excel A60 tend to be stronger from what is advertised.

mxb2
7/2/2017 3:11pm
I would say no, if you're going excel takasago wheel set. The Talon hubs were top notch but my third ride on the fresh wheels resulted...
I would say no, if you're going excel takasago wheel set. The Talon hubs were top notch but my third ride on the fresh wheels resulted in casing an uphill triple. The front rim was taco'd badly and had to be replaced. After spending $1400 on set only to drop another $200 plus made me question my purchase. Perhaps any wheel would have folded but I think DID STX and Excel A60 tend to be stronger from what is advertised.

Agreed, buy the top end stuff if you want a wheel. set. Trying to save $500 is goin to be a hassle and bite ya in the ass in the long run. . All wheel sets need maintained, spokes, spacers, bearings. That being said I use did ltx with nfi, Haan hubs. From ksr wheels. So far so good.
BobPA
7/2/2017 4:05pm
I would say no, if you're going excel takasago wheel set. The Talon hubs were top notch but my third ride on the fresh wheels resulted...

mxb2 wrote:
Agreed, buy the top end stuff if you want a wheel. set. Trying to save $500 is goin to be a hassle and bite ya in...
Agreed, buy the top end stuff if you want a wheel. set. Trying to save $500 is goin to be a hassle and bite ya in the ass in the long run. . All wheel sets need maintained, spokes, spacers, bearings. That being said I use did ltx with nfi, Haan hubs. From ksr wheels. So far so good.
This. Do not cheap out in rims. Stock hubs are fine and can be machined and/or powdercoated relatively cheap. I am a big fan of the classic DID dirt star rim. Inexpensive and touch as nails....just not available in all colors.
zac_k3
7/2/2017 4:09pm
I was most likely going to do the smpro hubs with the bulldog heavy duty spokes with yellow excels, I know a lot of pro riders just use normal yellow excels and they seem to hold up pretty good but can anyone give any input on them?
mxb2
7/2/2017 4:52pm
zac_k3 wrote:
I was most likely going to do the smpro hubs with the bulldog heavy duty spokes with yellow excels, I know a lot of pro riders...
I was most likely going to do the smpro hubs with the bulldog heavy duty spokes with yellow excels, I know a lot of pro riders just use normal yellow excels and they seem to hold up pretty good but can anyone give any input on them?
Great rims, it's factory yellow, Not gold. Different rim brands.
bvm111
7/2/2017 5:13pm
My Faster USA set are solid on my 450, they have stayed true with some abuse and I'm running regular Excel Tagasago
Tim507
7/2/2017 5:19pm
IMO ...perhaps not. I have extra wheels so I can mount a different wheel if the conditions change or I get a flat.

On my offroad bikeba have a wheel set Bibs in them.
coastie44
7/2/2017 6:23pm
Faster USA all the way. Check 'em out on instagram or give them a call. There are some videos here on vital about them too.

zac_k3
7/2/2017 6:55pm
coastie44 wrote:
Faster USA all the way. Check 'em out on instagram or give them a call. There are some videos here on vital about them too.

if i could I would go with faster usa, I've checked out a lot of wheel companies but sadly faster usa doesn't make a hub for the rm125s, I was considering the option to send my hubs in for the cerakote laced to new excels but for just a little more i can get complete wheels so I figured I'd just do that
Bramlett321
7/2/2017 7:42pm
I have 2 sets of Yamaha wheels that are like new if anyone is interested, in new condition, tires 90%, heavy duty tubes, ready to go!! 15-17 YZ's 21/18"

Hman144
Fantasy
714th
7/2/2017 8:11pm
Wheels are the new pipes. Everybody has to buy the overpriced bling to feel special.
zac_k3
7/2/2017 8:19pm
the money I have saved up is definitely going towards some bling on my bike, it's either going towards a wheel set, full carbon scalvini silencer and header, or maybe a alloy tank for it. I kinda feel like the wheels would be the best thing to start with but unsure.
FTB
7/2/2017 8:21pm Edited Date/Time 7/2/2017 8:25pm
zac_k3 wrote:
the money I have saved up is definitely going towards some bling on my bike, it's either going towards a wheel set, full carbon scalvini silencer...
the money I have saved up is definitely going towards some bling on my bike, it's either going towards a wheel set, full carbon scalvini silencer and header, or maybe a alloy tank for it. I kinda feel like the wheels would be the best thing to start with but unsure.
I put a Scalvini system on my RM 125, it was shit. Was tuned on the dyno as well. The carbon silencers aren't sealed very well either.

The DEP system yielded and extra 4HP. I love the Bling, but only if it's functional Bling.

BTW, I have Talon wheels on mine. Best money I've spent was a 144 conversion.
7/2/2017 8:23pm
It was worth it to me at just under $500 using did dirt star rims, tusk hubs and spokes. Laced myself with a $30 balancing stand from eBay and watched a few YouTube vids. I didn't want to spend a thousand plus for wheels, I also didn't want to pay $400 for DNA wheels that are cheap and heavy.

zac_k3
7/2/2017 8:25pm
215 wrote:
It was worth it to me at just under $500 using did dirt star rims, tusk hubs and spokes. Laced myself with a $30 balancing stand...
It was worth it to me at just under $500 using did dirt star rims, tusk hubs and spokes. Laced myself with a $30 balancing stand from eBay and watched a few YouTube vids. I didn't want to spend a thousand plus for wheels, I also didn't want to pay $400 for DNA wheels that are cheap and heavy.

I'd love to build my own wheels but hubs are very limited for my bike...
mxb2
7/2/2017 8:30pm
Hman144 wrote:
Wheels are the new pipes. Everybody has to buy the overpriced bling to feel special.
Maybe people like to spend their own money on their hobby! Why does it bother you, not your money.
BobPA
7/2/2017 8:33pm
Hman144 wrote:
Who cares? IMO wheels really make a bike look great. None of us are pro, we mays well look good.
FTB
7/2/2017 8:36pm
Hman144 wrote:
BobPA wrote:
Who cares? IMO wheels really make a bike look great. None of us are pro, we mays well look good.
I agree.

SS spokes are also awesome, less time cleaning.
Rockinar
7/2/2017 10:54pm Edited Date/Time 7/2/2017 10:55pm
I don't care as long as you're not putting on spoke wraps. That's where you have crossed the line and might as well be wearing a romper.
crc245
7/2/2017 11:14pm Edited Date/Time 7/2/2017 11:16pm
215 wrote:
It was worth it to me at just under $500 using did dirt star rims, tusk hubs and spokes. Laced myself with a $30 balancing stand...

zac_k3 wrote:
215: Great job, congrats on a clean setup, and one very cool (and useful for future projects) DIY build!

zac_k3: With the limited availability of hubs, why not just cerakote your stockers? These guys have a pretty dialed special on their home page: $600 for rims, spokes, new bearings, and coatings...Basically a complete refresh for your stockers: http://www.ahmfactoryservices.com/

By the way - If you were swapping wheels, from say your RM to an RMZ or a manufacturer with multiple year interchangeability, I'd say a second complete set would be worth it...
FTB
7/2/2017 11:31pm
crc245 wrote:
215: Great job, congrats on a clean setup, and one very cool (and useful for future projects) DIY build! zac_k3: With the limited availability of hubs...
215: Great job, congrats on a clean setup, and one very cool (and useful for future projects) DIY build!

zac_k3: With the limited availability of hubs, why not just cerakote your stockers? These guys have a pretty dialed special on their home page: $600 for rims, spokes, new bearings, and coatings...Basically a complete refresh for your stockers: http://www.ahmfactoryservices.com/

By the way - If you were swapping wheels, from say your RM to an RMZ or a manufacturer with multiple year interchangeability, I'd say a second complete set would be worth it...
JFYI. The RMZ has larger axles. You can't swap them.
zac_k3
7/2/2017 11:43pm
215 wrote:

zac_k3 wrote:
crc245 wrote:
215: Great job, congrats on a clean setup, and one very cool (and useful for future projects) DIY build! zac_k3: With the limited availability of hubs...

that's not a bad option but I if I do wheels I'm gonna do the yellow rims, theyre what I like best.
FTB
7/2/2017 11:48pm Edited Date/Time 7/2/2017 11:52pm
zac_k3 wrote:
that's not a bad option but I if I do wheels I'm gonna do the yellow rims, theyre what I like best.
Only problem with the Yelloow rims is when they scratch up, or the tyre wears the anno off the outside of the rim, you can't touch them up.
With Black, Red and Blue, you can use a marker pen to touch them up and have them looking like new. I changed my Yellow rims for black because of that reason.
Motofinne
7/3/2017 3:36am
I always have 2 sets of wheels for my bikes. It sucks to cut a day of riding short because of a flat.
JustMX
7/3/2017 4:13am
Motofinne wrote:
I always have 2 sets of wheels for my bikes. It sucks to cut a day of riding short because of a flat.
Tire irons and tube are a lot cheaper
Motofinne
7/3/2017 4:31am
Motofinne wrote:
JustMX wrote:
Tire irons and tube are a lot cheaper
Sure, i will stick to having a spare set of wheels that can be changed at the track within 2 minutes.

It's a small "investment" in the grand scheme of things.

Post a reply to: is buying a new wheel set really worth the money?

The Latest