interview: Christophe Pourcel

line-up
2/5/2017 10:05am
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en…

Change of program for Christophe Pourcel, who leaves the scene of the cross US to turn to a new challenge in Canada. Why ? How? The Rockstar HVA driver explains it to us in this exclusive interview.

You made the decision to stop participating in the US SX championship and to head for the Canadian motocross championship. Why did you make that choice?

Last year, I broke the cervical twice. It was quite difficult. This winter we talked about this program, and I was very interested because I knew I could have the opportunity to win. It is difficult to ride in supercross and motocross, and not to be on the podium.

Where are you physically?

It's still a bit cool, but I was taking my time. I expected to climb up slowly and that's why I was cautious on the first races. The cervical is hefty as a wound. The SX is dangerous, we see drivers falling every weekend. My goal was to return little by little to be at the top in motocrosss.

You had apprehension on the tracks of SX US?

When you have had many injuries and you see that the red flag is out every weekend, when you see that Roczen is exploding without knowing if he will be able to ride in the future ... When you Had more injury than others, you go a little less quickly in the whoops, you go a little less quickly here and there because it is dangerous and ultimately it is increasingly difficult to be ahead. Doing 15th is hard to accept mentally.

It is a new challenge to come back in US cross, a turning point in your career or a pre-retirement?

It's a good question. The decision was already being made to start this program in 2018. We're just starting it a little earlier. I will never come back in supercross or US motocross. I am aiming for other horizons and for the moment, it is Canada that interests me and that interests the team.

We had talked about enduro, it is always a project that interests you for the future?

Yes, but for now it is not on the program. There are many things that may be interesting. The SnowCross for example. This new discipline of motorcycle on the snow, it looks really nice! When you're caught up in motocross and supercross, you can not do anything else. My new program is lighter, it will allow me to do more things.

Even if you do not drive, you will still be in Oakland this weekend. What will be your schedule?

We had planned to go there in all cases. I have to be there for the team. I will be there for the press and to represent HVA and Rockstar.

What will be your program in the weeks to come?

I will take a step back, rest a little and do a lot of rehabilitation for my cervical. Then I will begin my preparation for the motocross. The Canadian Championship begins in early June and ends in early August. There are 10 races in the championship and everything goes on every weekend.

What do you know about this championship?

All races are available on the internet. I've watched the videos and I know what to expect. The trails look really nice. The championship will be visible live on the internet, it's always nice. The main sponsor is Rockstar Energy, so it's cool. I would have my motorcycle factory and a semi. It was really an offer that I could not refuse, even if it is always difficult to withdraw. After so many years at the highest level in motocross and supercross, wondering if one is always able to make podiums was difficult, but we had this opportunity, and I am super happy. It was a good time.

Interview by Laurent Reviron, Photos Olivier De Vaulx
|
hillbilly
2/5/2017 10:12am
Nice,more power to him.

The guy has paid his dues to the bank of pain, be cool to see him get a title as payoff for all those deposits.
Bermworm
2/5/2017 10:15am
We will be happy to have him,plus he will be able to do interviews and address the crowd in his own language at a few rounds.
JW381
2/5/2017 10:15am
hillbilly wrote:
Nice,more power to him. The guy has paid his dues to the bank of pain, be cool to see him get a title as payoff for...
Nice,more power to him.

The guy has paid his dues to the bank of pain, be cool to see him get a title as payoff for all those deposits.
Agree
kkawboy14
2/5/2017 10:20am
hillbilly wrote:
Nice,more power to him. The guy has paid his dues to the bank of pain, be cool to see him get a title as payoff for...
Nice,more power to him.

No doubt, injury and age catches everyone.

The Shop

Motodave15
2/5/2017 10:35am
I completely respect pourcel for that choice... kinda says alot about our series in particular... i do believe it could be made safer.

What ever the canadian nationals are doing, track prep or saftey wise, needs to be looked at because dudes are looking at them even more seriously than years past.
kzizok
Fantasy
1859th
2/5/2017 10:38am Edited Date/Time 2/5/2017 10:39am
I've contended for quite a while that CP's odd behavior and results, weren't really odd, but done by design. His behavior and approach were calculated ideas to try and maximize results, health, and longevity. He's not just the "crafty Frenchman" on the track. Vital disclaimer: there are always exceptions. Im not saying every single thing that happened.

Most people really dont understand what he went through. The simple fact that the guy is walking is amazing.
Phillip_Lamb
Fantasy
2511th
2/5/2017 1:28pm
dang, thats a shame he's pulling out of SX for good, but he's right, if your heart isnt in it or you become too afraid to do what it takes then its time. reminds of Kdub when he decided to leave a year or two before he planned
2/6/2017 10:06am
Best of luck to Christophe, gotta admit I wish the news was Lucas Oil Nats. on a KX45O PC or something. Also I hope all of the passport details have been worked out.Laughing
2/6/2017 10:13am
Bermworm wrote:
We will be happy to have him,plus he will be able to do interviews and address the crowd in his own language at a few rounds.
AS a result of this I may be heading to watch my first Canadian MX National ever. Quebec not too far from me, and i could visit my Grandfather's birth city St Denis. Gonna have to get my passport stuff squared away!
Canadad
2/6/2017 11:20am
AS a result of this I may be heading to watch my first Canadian MX National ever. Quebec not too far from me, and i could...
AS a result of this I may be heading to watch my first Canadian MX National ever. Quebec not too far from me, and i could visit my Grandfather's birth city St Denis. Gonna have to get my passport stuff squared away!
The Ulverton and Deschambault rounds in Quebec are awesome, you will not be disappointed. Great tracks, fans and atmosphere. Go visit Quebec City while you are there, its a very special place, a European city in the middle of North America. Ulverton is a natural terrain track with lots of elevation and a picturesque setting. Deschambault has great visability and a great track also.
PRM31
2/6/2017 11:41am
How are Canadian MX tracks different than US Nationals? Apparently less of an outdoor SX style?

Anyway, great respect to CP. He's not the only one who thinks about the possible consequences of riding and how track style impacts the desire to ride. I've broke enough bones in one lifetime, fortunately I have no injuries with permanent serious implications. A job to go to on Mondays and the thought of 'what-if' definitely temper the desire to be clearing big doubles or triples or bomb through whoops.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3682nd
2/6/2017 1:18pm Edited Date/Time 2/6/2017 1:24pm
PRM31 wrote:
How are Canadian MX tracks different than US Nationals? Apparently less of an outdoor SX style? Anyway, great respect to CP. He's not the only one...
How are Canadian MX tracks different than US Nationals? Apparently less of an outdoor SX style?

Anyway, great respect to CP. He's not the only one who thinks about the possible consequences of riding and how track style impacts the desire to ride. I've broke enough bones in one lifetime, fortunately I have no injuries with permanent serious implications. A job to go to on Mondays and the thought of 'what-if' definitely temper the desire to be clearing big doubles or triples or bomb through whoops.
Canadian tracks are a bit shorter in terms of lap times and it's not a rut fest all around the track. Good passing.

Take a look for yourself here https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=cmrcmx

2016 Nationals are posted along with 2015 and other stuff.

Round 5 at Gopher Dunes. Gives Southwick a run for its money in terms of roughness.

https://youtu.be/gIhJxdEIvoI

Here's Round 6 in Ulverton, Quebec.

https://youtu.be/E87J05wRcqA

Here's Round 9 in Deschambault, Quebec.

https://youtu.be/-jzDSjxRFqE
gt80rider
2/6/2017 1:22pm
AS a result of this I may be heading to watch my first Canadian MX National ever. Quebec not too far from me, and i could...
X2.... I am pencilling in a north of the border run to check out cp377 and my first Canadian national...
djc
2/6/2017 2:59pm
I like the move to put him in canada actually I think it's a win win for all.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3682nd
2/6/2017 3:14pm
I think Christophe coming to Canada will be a good thing for him.

With the series being more laid back, less stress and the Huqvarna/KTM headquarters & Team being located in the French speaking province of Quebec I think he'll be a front runner as soon as round 1 comes around. Can't wait to see what he does with this opportunity.

Now the question is, who will be his teammate/s? Will they field a 2 rider 450 team only or 2 450's and 2 250's or 1 of each? Solo effort with Pourcel only?

The last 2 years or so the Husqvarna effort was just with Tyler Medaglia out of a sprinter van and with the article posted Christophe mentions a semi. I can't see Husqvarna investing that much in a semi just for 1 rider. I guess it remains to be seen.
JMR1976
2/6/2017 3:43pm
Makes CDNMX much more interesting. I wish him the best.
cali11
2/6/2017 4:20pm
PRM31 wrote:
How are Canadian MX tracks different than US Nationals? Apparently less of an outdoor SX style? Anyway, great respect to CP. He's not the only one...

-MAVERICK- wrote:
Canadian tracks are a bit shorter in terms of lap times and it's not a rut fest all around the track. Good passing. Take a look...
Canadian tracks are a bit shorter in terms of lap times and it's not a rut fest all around the track. Good passing.

Take a look for yourself here https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=cmrcmx

2016 Nationals are posted along with 2015 and other stuff.

Round 5 at Gopher Dunes. Gives Southwick a run for its money in terms of roughness.

https://youtu.be/gIhJxdEIvoI

Here's Round 6 in Ulverton, Quebec.

https://youtu.be/E87J05wRcqA

Here's Round 9 in Deschambault, Quebec.

https://youtu.be/-jzDSjxRFqE
Been to both tracks. My wife is from Hamilton Ontario. I have to say Southwick is my favorite, but Gopher Dunes is a pretty bad ass track!
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3682nd
2/6/2017 4:40pm
cali11 wrote:
Been to both tracks. My wife is from Hamilton Ontario. I have to say Southwick is my favorite, but Gopher Dunes is a pretty bad ass...
Been to both tracks. My wife is from Hamilton Ontario. I have to say Southwick is my favorite, but Gopher Dunes is a pretty bad ass track!
I think Southwick has better scenery. As for the track I never rode either and couldn't really care less about Gopher Dunes. My brother went years ago and people are deceived when they get to the track. It's smooth as ice before racing gets started and think it's going to be a piece a cake. Then come the motos and it gets so rough people just end up not finishing and pulling off. Quite funny to see. Piece of cake, no problem.....Can't finish moto 2.

Bottomless sand is not really my type of track. I used to love sand but not like that. Not really enjoyable I find.

Southwick has a base at least so that I could see enjoying.

I forgot to mention another thing that makes the Canadian National Series different from the US Nationals is that we have more than one sand track on the circuit.
jj welks
2/6/2017 4:48pm Edited Date/Time 2/6/2017 4:49pm
Atleast it's "his way"... Good luck CP happy you didn't wad yourself again before it came to this. Def sucked to read "I'm never coming back to us supercross of motocross".

Post a reply to: interview: Christophe Pourcel

The Latest