innovative gloves vs hand guards

jonesaustin
Edited Date/Time 4/14/2019 10:18am
could they make a glove with maybe carbon fiber or even rubber on the top to ward off 450 roost? I'm from a different era when hand guards were just not considered supercross. I understand why they need them now, just might be cool to see a more progressive glove that does the job.
|
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
4/13/2019 1:46pm Edited Date/Time 4/13/2019 1:50pm
I had a pair of No Fear gloves that had carbon fiber knuckles.

4/13/2019 1:53pm
For sure - there are plenty of options as is. But a lot are not marketed as motocross specific gloves. Fox Bomber has carbon fiber knuckles.
plowboy
4/13/2019 2:03pm
I'm one of those un-hip people that would never race a dirt bike without hand guards. Dirt clods hurt...rocks REALLY hurt. Pretty simple prevention.
Meister
4/13/2019 2:19pm
plowboy wrote:
I'm one of those un-hip people that would never race a dirt bike without hand guards. Dirt clods hurt...rocks REALLY hurt. Pretty simple prevention.
Me too.

The Shop

cwtoyota
4/13/2019 2:21pm
could they make a glove with maybe carbon fiber or even rubber on the top to ward off 450 roost? I'm from a different era when...
could they make a glove with maybe carbon fiber or even rubber on the top to ward off 450 roost? I'm from a different era when hand guards were just not considered supercross. I understand why they need them now, just might be cool to see a more progressive glove that does the job.
Not quite as much protection as you're talking about, but for some reason, I thought of these:

500 Mike
4/13/2019 2:40pm
I could never figure out why gear companies did away with that design. It only makes sense.
dl117
Fantasy
2587th
4/13/2019 2:59pm
could they make a glove with maybe carbon fiber or even rubber on the top to ward off 450 roost? I'm from a different era when...
cwtoyota wrote:
Not quite as much protection as you're talking about, but for some reason, I thought of these: [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/04/13/338635/s1200_Axo_Padlock.jpg[/img]
Not quite as much protection as you're talking about, but for some reason, I thought of these:

Loved those gloves
Brad460
Fantasy
736th
4/13/2019 3:48pm
I’ve been looking for some durable gloves- more so to protect my fingers during a crash. Last two crashed tore up my right hand pinky finger. The last time needed 12 stitches to close it up!

Seems like most gloves these days shred really easy and don’t offer much protection. I still have a pair of Fox gloves from the late 90’s I good condition, but have torn through many new ones..
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
4/13/2019 3:56pm
I had a pair like these in 1986. Best gloves ever.

4/13/2019 3:59pm
I noticed now that I got back into riding I thought it was me but my new fox gloves feel like they have less protection than 2 dollar harbor freight work gloves
Ridelow
Fantasy
201st
4/13/2019 4:07pm
I prefer feel over safety in gloves and MTB but the D30 Material many uses in their kneeguards, elbow guards etc is kinda good material compared to injection molded plastic and could be a good alternative.
Its soft but turns hard when hit with something.

dl117
Fantasy
2587th
4/13/2019 4:09pm
Anither Problem is a pair of gloves used to last a hell of a lot longer than they do now.
cwtoyota
4/13/2019 4:16pm
Brad460 wrote:
I’ve been looking for some durable gloves- more so to protect my fingers during a crash. Last two crashed tore up my right hand pinky finger...
I’ve been looking for some durable gloves- more so to protect my fingers during a crash. Last two crashed tore up my right hand pinky finger. The last time needed 12 stitches to close it up!

Seems like most gloves these days shred really easy and don’t offer much protection. I still have a pair of Fox gloves from the late 90’s I good condition, but have torn through many new ones..
My gloves don't last nearly as long today as they did when I was a teenager in the 1990's.
I think there are several factors at play:

Handlegrip compounds are softer, tackier today, adding stress to the gloves.
Gloves are thinner and lighter and incorporate more stretch and vent materials.

I was a Beginner to Novice rider back then and I'm competitive in vet A classes these days and I hardly ever just ride around like I did when I was young. This takes its tole on all the equipment.
wnorton729
Fantasy
1931st
4/13/2019 4:22pm
The trend nowadays is different. Obviously most are willing to jeopardize health over performance. Cuffed, cotton jerseys with elbow pads sewn in and padded gloves simply isn't "cool" anymore.
Jt$
4/14/2019 6:08am
Every brand offers several options. Some with knuckle protection on multiple levels from carbon to softer TPR. Riders don’t like the rigidity, though, so they usually only run the minimalist styles. But, the types of gloves you are all speaking about are still widely available.
BobPA
4/14/2019 6:15am
wnorton729 wrote:
The trend nowadays is different. Obviously most are willing to jeopardize health over performance. Cuffed, cotton jerseys with elbow pads sewn in and padded gloves simply...
The trend nowadays is different. Obviously most are willing to jeopardize health over performance. Cuffed, cotton jerseys with elbow pads sewn in and padded gloves simply isn't "cool" anymore.
Cuffed cotton jersey also make you sweat like crazy if it is over 55 degrees. I prefer a minimalist glove, with hand guards. I cannot believe people ride on the east coast without them. The dried up moon dirt in Cali must not hurt like the rock filled dirt we have over here.

Padded gloves are bulky as shit, ain’t nobody got time for that.
jonesaustin
4/14/2019 7:36am
wnorton729 wrote:
The trend nowadays is different. Obviously most are willing to jeopardize health over performance. Cuffed, cotton jerseys with elbow pads sewn in and padded gloves simply...
well it's a heck of a lot cooler than hand guards. we need to see some trick new gloves that deal with roost, it just makes sense.
4/14/2019 9:00am
wnorton729 wrote:
well it's a heck of a lot cooler than hand guards. we need to see some trick new gloves that deal with roost, it just makes...
well it's a heck of a lot cooler than hand guards. we need to see some trick new gloves that deal with roost, it just makes sense.
Are hand guards uncool? I've always liked the look of hand guards.
Jeff alessi
4/14/2019 10:18am
Most of the guys start getting hand cramps/arm pump when using any extra material on gloves, this is why the gloves for motocross have gotten thinner and thinner over the years. You would think with faster bikes comes gnarlier roost which would mean gloves and thicker chest protectors and the use of hand guards more often but these things can be thrown to the curb so fast if it even impacts riders feel a half a percent. think of neck braces.

I do like the look of hand guards tho but I believe had this been round 1 last night night you wouldn’t have seen hand guards however you had a race last weekend that a lot of riders really wanted the hand protection and I’m sure a few also liked the feel (I personally love hand guards and how I ride with them on they change my mental) I would assume Cooper liked the feel and was comfortable and said ‘why not use the extra protection‘ I’ve seen riders get a rock to the knuckle and miss races. I think it happened to a kawi rider back in the day (Kiedrousky maybe) and I think it cost him a lot of valuable points. Again another safe step for super coop.

Post a reply to: innovative gloves vs hand guards

The Latest